Just wondering. If you don't have BES It's even less save since it doesn't support s/mime email encryption. Plus the ability to side load apps is a security threat as well.

Posted via CB10
    p_r_a_g_m_a and kevinnugent like this.
    03-07-14 08:17 AM
    Well you don't hear about hardly any exploits with BlackBerry do you?

And sideloading is disabled by default.

Sent from my fabulously white Blackberry Q5!
    03-07-14 08:18 AM
    Not hearing about exploits doesn't mean there are none. And the only exploit for iOS I've heard of was the one with a fake battery charger cable which, in my opinion, is a ridiculous approach.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 08:20 AM
    Blackberry is in the same boat as Mac users back in the Mac vs PC debates.

PC = more marketshare = more lucrative for attackers
    Mac computers = low marketshare = supposedly no exploits

Android & iOS is the new PC = more marketshare = more lucrative for attackers
    Blackberry is the new Mac, without the Steve Jobs = has very little marketshare = supposedly no "known" exploits

With iOS & Android being used by nearly all consumers and businesses, its way more lucrative to focus on these platforms, if Blackbery had near 40-50% marketshare, expect a whole swarm of cyber criminals re-routing their resources to exploit the platform.

Blackberry has it easy... no one is even trying to hack them, it's not worth their while especially when only 1% or so of the smartphone userbase uses them.
    p_r_a_g_m_a, Berry_Pink and seluje like this.
    03-07-14 08:33 AM
    Not hearing about exploits doesn't mean there are none. And the only exploit for iOS I've heard of was the one with a fake battery charger cable which, in my opinion, is a ridiculous approach.

Posted via CB10
    And what about the recent exploits and security issues that Apple has kindly hidden to the mass that allowed people to read all your texts and emails via a bypass?
    Or the fact that you can insert a nice keylogger within a music app so it tracks all your typing, phone uses etc...
    Sounds great... but people still buy itoys.
    Q10Bold, Intense Soul and kfh227 like this.
    03-07-14 08:33 AM
    Well I don't see why those things wouldn't exist on BlackBerry and the threat of such exploits being undetected is a lot bigger because there are less people worrying about security and a serious exploit would affect less people.

Plus, Macs have a bigger market share now and there are still very few to none viruses out there.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 08:39 AM
    Security is not a matter of "how much market your device has" but "how secured the protocols and security system both device and servers provide".

BlackBerry can't be hacked. Even the NSA failed to do so.

Of course there is a little market counterpart in which most haxorleet will target the most used OS first to increase their chances.

I am a h4x0r XD
    AidenSurvival likes this.
    03-07-14 08:39 AM
    Well I don't see why those things wouldn't exist on BlackBerry and the threat of such exploits being undetected is a lot bigger because there are less people worrying about security and a serious exploit would affect less people.

Plus, Macs have a bigger market share now and there are still very few to none viruses out there.

Posted via CB10
    Built by Blackberry. Tested by Trend Micro. Their heuristics scan will easily pick up on any keylogger code in there, I am sure.

It picks up on so much more. If there is any potentially malicious code, even a false positive, it will cause the team to have a closer look. Any other thoughts?

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-07-14 08:49 AM
    Mac's have a bigger marketshare, relative to... Macs. The number of ALL macs OS X still trails behind Windows XP. Windows 7 still out weighs XP + OSX combined.

Do you have a Mac, I'd like to send you a "file" considering Macs don't get viruses, can you open it for me?

Security is not a matter of "how much market your device has" but "how secured the protocols and security system both device and servers provide".

BlackBerry can't be hacked. Even the NSA failed to do so.
    True, but when a device has marketshare, only then will it truly be known how secure it is. Currently Blackberry is a big fish in small pond. IF it ever joined the ranks of the other duo, surely then, we'd only then see how secure it really is.
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    03-07-14 08:51 AM
    Mac's have a bigger marketshare, relative to... Macs. The number of ALL macs OS X still trails behind Windows XP. Windows 7 still out weighs XP + OSX combined.

Do you have a Mac, I'd like to send you a "file" considering Macs don't get viruses, can you open it for me?

True, but when a device has marketshare, only then will it truly be known how secure it is. Currently Blackberry is a big fish in small pond. IF it ever joined the ranks of the other duo, surely then, we'd only then see how secure it really is.
    Small market share, but also lots of high profile targets. Politicians, CEOs, movers and shakers. Angela Merkel, Barack Obama and the rest of the bunch.

Catch a ton of sardines in a dragnet, or spear a massive whale.

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    ArmedHitman likes this.
    03-07-14 09:06 AM
    Important people with BlackBerry will have at least BES or a whole it security department which secures their devices. That doesn't pay to private users.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 09:11 AM
    Android can be rooted, iOS can be hacked too, the last one was done as soon as the iOS update was released by a 14year old. When was the last time someone did that to a BB?
    03-07-14 10:08 AM
    I do believe some features of the NOC are used for non BES consumers such as for RFA. And sideloading to the Android RT is "sandboxed" so any malicious software there would not affect the rest of the OS....so I've been told.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 10:14 AM

Blackberry is the new Mac, without the Steve Jobs = has very little marketshare = supposedly no "known" exploits

With iOS & Android being used by nearly all consumers and businesses, its way more lucrative to focus on these platforms, if Blackbery had near 40-50% marketshare, expect a whole swarm of cyber criminals re-routing their resources to exploit the platform.

Blackberry has it easy... no one is even trying to hack them, it's not worth their while especially when only 1% or so of the smartphone userbase uses them.
    No.
    PC more corporate users. More reason to make virus.
    Mac. More casual college students. Less reason to make virus.

Also both iPhone and BlackBerry require permissions to run apps. Unlike android which can do anything they want.

Q10
    03-07-14 10:20 AM

This is no argument at all. BlackBerry has always been known for its security, even when iOS was that small guy not worth hacking. According to your argument, everyone would have tried to hack BlackBerry back then and would likely have been successful. But, they weren't. And iOS and Android are both known not to be nearly as secure as BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 and my z10
    03-07-14 10:24 AM
    As a programmer point of view, there is a lots of thing that we are blocked from while on other platform they are not, a simple example, we can't close another app from your app (trying to say an example that everyone will understand, but there is lots more stuff that is locked that I won't go into detail) that make lots of exploit useless on blackberry, the more you let your user to do whatever they want, the more exploit you will have.
    Q10Bold and p_r_a_g_m_a like this.
    03-07-14 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    A key logger as simple as the iOS music app is not possible on BBOS or BB10 because only the active application gets the full set of user interface events. Security by design built in from the ground up.
    southlander likes this.
    03-07-14 11:55 AM

So this is purely your opinion or do you have sources that back this up that BB's are less secure or equivalent in security that you get with iOS and Android.
    03-07-14 12:02 PM
    This security thingy is so so overrated. The only person I know that uses a Blackberry is me (z10) so how is that going to help me.
    03-07-14 12:10 PM
    When you boot, BB10 checked the devices OS for any tampers
    03-07-14 12:26 PM
    IOS has been jailbroken. BB10 has not.

Now, BB10 has been on the market a lot less time. True.

But there ya go.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    03-07-14 02:08 PM

Send it to me, I'm using one. Walk the talk.
    03-07-14 02:15 PM
    Why would you even try to jail break bb10 if the cell door is already open (sideload)

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 03:13 PM
    The answer is the design and effort put forth. BB10 is security designed from the get go. iOS is a patched upgrade from a time when they never considered security.

Android provides test tools for security that would have caught the apple goto fail bug. Android devs even admit security is secondary to open and flexible.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-07-14 03:54 PM
    Why would you even try to jail break bb10 if the cell door is already open (sideload)

Posted via CB10
    Equating jail breaking, the acquisition of root privilege on an iOS device, to sideloading, the use of development tools to load normal privileged applications on a device, just shows your ignorance. The fact that one may jailbreak an iOS device to be able to load unauthorized applications does not limit the security issues raised by using a jail broken device.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    03-07-14 03:56 PM
60 123