It isn't the linux kernel that is playing such a huge role. It is Google Play services, which is not open source.
    Nah, play services just tie you in. Android was possible because Linux existed.

Regardless of that, open sourcing your software can't be called stupid. It has its advantages and it just works differently.
    10-14-14 10:37 PM
    Nah, play services just tie you in. Android was possible because Linux existed.

Regardless of that, open sourcing your software can't be called stupid. It has its advantages and it just works differently.
    Android was less expensive for Google to develop. Maybe they wouldn't have come up with the idea if Linux didn't exist, but I doubt it. There are enough open source Unix clones to go around. The only reason for Google to launch Android is to get users locked in do they can make money. They do that with Play Services, which is not Open Source. If would be stupid for Google to make it Open Source because then anyone could provide the service in competition with Google.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 10:46 PM
    I moved from Windows and don't want to look back. People who don't use Linux can't understand it's beauty They just stuck with a GUI and can't customize the PC to what they really like but most people who use windows don't need to customize their system anyway. Windows maybe the best on Market, but we "think different" (that's why I picked an BlackBerry as my phone lol)

P/s: I don't want to start an OS flame war here...

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    As a programmer I can't waste my time with Linux customization when I need to get stuff done. If I need to run Linux I'll run it in VM.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:45 PM
    As a programmer I can't waste my time with Linux customization when I need to get stuff done. If I need to run Linux I'll run it in VM.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't customize your system, Linux is still a great platform, especially for programmers. Having good C/C++ compilers, great debuggers, up-to-date component and libs

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    pystha likes this.
    10-15-14 12:23 AM
    If you don't customize your system, Linux is still a great platform, especially for programmers. Having good C/C++ compilers, great debuggers, up-to-date component and libs

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    I programmed on Ubuntu for C. I still prefer windows just because of larger compatibility and support. I got VM to cover all bases.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:33 AM
    Android was less expensive for Google to develop. Maybe they wouldn't have come up with the idea if Linux didn't exist, but I doubt it. There are enough open source Unix clones to go around.
    The key term is 'open source'.

The only reason for Google to launch Android is to get users locked in do they can make money. They do that with Play Services, which is not Open Source. If would be stupid for Google to make it Open Source because then anyone could provide the service in competition with Google.

Posted via CB10
    Well, Google doesn't make much out of Android - it's really the data/advertisement they're after.
    10-15-14 01:02 AM
    Meh, open source is incredibly overrated. So you're going to depend on people with day job who will obviously choose their family over a program's future. Shellbomb anyone? Most open source programs work well because there's a large organization behind it with dedicated people, even then there can be problems. Like Heartbleed.

I don't think Google engineers chose Linux because it's open source. They had enough resources to create an entirely new platform standing on their own custom kernel

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 01:26 AM
    Meh, open source is incredibly overrated. So you're going to depend on people with day job who will obviously choose their family over a program's future. Shellbomb anyone? Most open source programs work well because there's a large organization behind it with dedicated people, even then there can be problems. Like Heartbleed.

I don't think Google engineers chose Linux because it's open source. They had enough resources to create an entirely new platform standing on their own custom kernel

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Of course they choose it because it's open source. Even if they have resources, why don't they use stuff that worked and suit what they need? Resources can be used for making better stuff. And Linux have a lot of developers, they don't need to put many resources on it instead they put resources to work on a bigger project, like Android

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    pystha likes this.
    10-15-14 02:38 AM

Well, Google doesn't make much out of Android - it's really the data/advertisement they're after.
    And the tools they use to monetize the data through advertising is not being released as open source. Not on Android or anywhere else.

BlackBerry makes use of open source too. The webkit browser for example.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:30 AM
    If someone wants to make a Blend client for Linux, I can tell you it wouldn't be that difficult.
    Blend Client is essentially a web browser, authenticated with custom login. That custom login is exactly what Sachesi already uses. There's just one extra step called 'BlendAuth' and then you're just looking at a browser window with the content streamed from your device.
    So essentially I could add a WebView to Sachesi and display the Blend.
    10-15-14 07:44 AM
    As a Linux user for the past decade, my hopes for a BBRY Blend running natively on Linux is next to zero. As a compromise, why can't BBRY make a web app? Creating a web app (even one with limited functionality), would open up to Linux users as well as ChromeOS which is gaining incredible popularity.
    10-15-14 08:52 PM
    Stupid? 'Cause the most common mobile OS runs on an open source kernel?
    Granted, the chances of BlackBerry open sourcing Blend are next to none given their history. But, I wouldn't call that a "stupid" thing.

If anything, Blackberry could do better with existing open source software and open standards as a differentiating factor. Linux may not have much of a market share in desktops, but it surely plays a huge role in the segment BlackBerry is targeting. Given the Snowden/NSA fiasco, I'd wager a lot more companies are more seriously looking at Linux. A large corporation I know now has a significant Linux desktop deployment.
    You do know that Android is less and less open source in every new version, right? Android is hardly open source anymore, all Google software on it is closed source.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:20 PM
    As a Linux user for the past decade, my hopes for a BBRY Blend running natively on Linux is next to zero. As a compromise, why can't BBRY make a web app? Creating a web app (even one with limited functionality), would open up to Linux users as well as ChromeOS which is gaining incredible popularity.
    They probably could. May have something to do with ensuring work partition policies are enforced for devices on BES. Just a guess.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    As a programmer you should know that vim + gcc + gdb beats the **** out of anything, in windows you're either using Microsoft's compiler or you're using a minimal gnu environment such as MinGW which is basically a tiny Linux environment.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:24 PM
    And the tools they use to monetize the data through advertising is not being released as open source. Not on Android or anywhere else.
    Yes, but that's enterprise software. Let's stick to consumer software.

BlackBerry makes use of open source too. The webkit browser for example.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, though I doubt BlackBerry participates much upstream.
    10-15-14 09:27 PM
    You do know that Android is less and less open source in every new version, right? Android is hardly open source anymore, all Google software on it is closed source.

Posted via CB10
    So, let me re-iterate: my point is that Open sourcing blend is an option BlackBerry can look at and this wouldn't be a 'stupid' thing to do. Blend (and link) are just clients that aren't licensed separately from the device and BlackBerry stands to gain from open sourcing it - surely, you'd be glad if folks in the community can fix problems in blend for you, even when BlackBerry itself may not have the resources to do so?
    10-15-14 09:33 PM
    If someone wants to make a Blend client for Linux, I can tell you it wouldn't be that difficult.
    Blend Client is essentially a web browser, authenticated with custom login. That custom login is exactly what Sachesi already uses. There's just one extra step called 'BlendAuth' and then you're just looking at a browser window with the content streamed from your device.
    So essentially I could add a WebView to Sachesi and display the Blend.
    Nice! This falls in line with what we've been told - that Blend is essentially a glorified html5 client. BlackBerry definitely missed a trick here - having it available instantly on any thin client with a browser would have made this a huge deal.
    Gerii likes this.
    10-15-14 10:28 PM
    Wish Ubuntu users would stop WINE-ing. LOL! :P

Just kidding - I have 14.04 on the top of my Grub list.
    nah.uhh and mkelley65 like this.
    10-15-14 11:17 PM
    Yes, but that's enterprise software. Let's stick to consumer software.

Google Play services. Not enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 03:54 AM
    I know for a fact that Suse Linux was/is used on the desktop internally at BlackBerry so who knows Blend may already exist for in some form Linux. Whether or not it will ever be released is the question.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:19 PM
    FWIW, I see they now have a 64 bit linux version of Momentics. In the past, you had to have a linux system capable of running 32 bit code, which is possible on some 64 bit versions of linux, Suse being one of them.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 06:57 PM
    FWIW, I see they now have a 64 bit linux version of Momentics. In the past, you had to have a linux system capable of running 32 bit code, which is possible on some 64 bit versions of linux, Suse being one of them.

Posted via CB10
    Is there any modern distro that can't do multiarch? Even Debian can do it.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 07:19 PM
    Is there any modern distro that can't do multiarch? Even Debian can do it.

Posted via CB10
    There are people who don't like having multiarch to save space and to keep their system clean...

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-17-14 09:23 PM
    Has anyone tried Link on Crossover or Wine? I know desktop didn't work, but I'll give Link a try in the next few days.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-14 09:31 PM
    Strike that. Just read the thread.
    10-17-14 09:38 PM
139 12345 ...