Well also according to Wikipedia, Linux has about 1.6% of the desktop market. I don't think that you have to look any further than that.

Posted via CB10
    Plus how many of that 1.6% even have BlackBerrys?

Certainly not all of them.
    10-07-14 08:59 AM
    sad Bro. BlackBerry listen to the user's we need BlackBerry Link or blend for Linux as well.

Posted via CB10
    Users or user? First time I have seen a thread like this. I'm sure it has been considered by BB but must not be feasible.
    10-07-14 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry is not going to release Blend's code, that would be incredibly stupid.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-07-14 09:42 AM
    BlackBerry is not going to release Blend's code, that would be incredibly stupid.

Posted via CB10
    Not really required, but the alternative is packaged binaries for different distros. A couple .debs and .rpms, most probably.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:13 AM
    Because if you're running a server or Linux, you've probably found a way to run Blend on your system already.
    10-07-14 11:32 AM
    Not really required, but the alternative is packaged binaries for different distros. A couple .debs and .rpms, most probably.

Posted via CB10
    We just need a tar.gz with everything in it

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    You can run binaries on Linux. Google Earth for example.

The biggest problem I have running programs designed for one flavor of linux on another is library locations. You often have to add symbolic links or mess with environment variables to get things working.

Regarding Momentics, it runs on opensuse. The problem is the code is (or maybe was) 32 bits, so you need to load 32 bit libraries.

Since bb10 supports SMB, do you really need much else?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:24 PM
    The market share for Linux on the desktop is what? Linux is about 5.5%, Mac is 10% and Windows about 80%. So it means a lot more resources for a small market share. Same problem with Windows Phone and BB10 application development. Small ,market share.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-07-14 06:32 PM
    I'm fairly new to Linux (Mint KDE) and am fairly ignorant in how it all works but could you run Blend with Wine? I'm on a Z10 and can't test it myself.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:31 AM
    I'm fairly new to Linux (Mint KDE) and am fairly ignorant in how it all works but could you run Blend with Wine? I'm on a Z10 and can't test it myself.

Posted via CB10
    Many reported that even with newest Wine, BlackBerry Link doesn't even run.

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-08-14 10:57 AM
    They only need to package an package for popular distro (usually frozen distro, as the libs won't change much), and we only need to repackage that to our distro format (Some software on Arch's AUR is repackaged from Ubuntu/Debian package) and fix breakage too(incompatible libs), but that's our business

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-08-14 11:04 AM
    Exactly. Just give us an rpm or a deb and we will make it work for our distro. Just be sure to offer 64-bit support so that we can avoid having to pull down 32-bit deps.
    10-08-14 11:40 AM
    Many reported that even with newest Wine, BlackBerry Link doesn't even run.

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    USB on wine is probably the issue. You can do some usb with wine, but it has to be with the usb acting as a serial port. For instance, the is how I use Garmin Mapsource on my linux desktop. But general purpose use of USB isn't there yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:41 PM
    USB on wine is probably the issue. You can do some usb with wine, but it has to be with the usb acting as a serial port. For instance, the is how I use Garmin Mapsource on my linux desktop. But general purpose use of USB isn't there yet.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Link use network connection (our BlackBerry act as an modem when connected to PC) and we only need to establish connection to our device (dhcpcd or any dhcp client), wine support Windows network devices (using Samba). Maybe I will try BlackBerry Link on my Arch Linux box to see if it worked now

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-09-14 12:48 AM
    Windows is the best desktop OS on the market, you should move to Windows.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    10-09-14 01:13 AM
    Or just use it in a VM
    10-09-14 08:49 AM

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    I moved from Windows and don't want to look back. People who don't use Linux can't understand it's beauty They just stuck with a GUI and can't customize the PC to what they really like but most people who use windows don't need to customize their system anyway. Windows maybe the best on Market, but we "think different" (that's why I picked an BlackBerry as my phone lol)

P/s: I don't want to start an OS flame war here...

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    nah.uhh, anon(8980596) and pystha like this.
    10-09-14 09:28 AM
    Or just use it in a VM
    Amen.
    And thanks man, without you in be stuck booting into windows all the time to manage my BlackBerry.

Off topic: Do you use virtualbox? I can't seem to get virtualbox to recognize any USB devices.
    Was trying to run blend via USB via virtualbox. Any luck?
    10-09-14 09:28 AM
    Or just use it in a VM
    Or just use Wine lol

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-09-14 09:31 AM
    Or just use Wine lol
    Already stated that Blend doesn't run with Wine. A VM with windows or Android x86 will do the trick.
    10-09-14 09:38 AM
    Already stated that Blend doesn't run with Wine. A VM with windows or Android x86 will do the trick.
    The only reason why I kept my PC OEM windows...

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-09-14 09:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Stupid? 'Cause the most common mobile OS runs on an open source kernel?
    Granted, the chances of BlackBerry open sourcing Blend are next to none given their history. But, I wouldn't call that a "stupid" thing.

If anything, Blackberry could do better with existing open source software and open standards as a differentiating factor. Linux may not have much of a market share in desktops, but it surely plays a huge role in the segment BlackBerry is targeting. Given the Snowden/NSA fiasco, I'd wager a lot more companies are more seriously looking at Linux. A large corporation I know now has a significant Linux desktop deployment.
    10-14-14 12:06 PM
    Stupid? 'Cause the most common mobile OS runs on an open source kernel?
    Granted, the chances of BlackBerry open sourcing Blend are next to none given their history. But, I wouldn't call that a "stupid" thing.

If anything, Blackberry could do better with existing open source software and open standards as a differentiating factor. Linux may not have much of a market share in desktops, but it surely plays a huge role in the segment BlackBerry is targeting. Given the Snowden/NSA fiasco, I'd wager a lot more companies are more seriously looking at Linux. A large corporation I know now has a significant Linux desktop deployment.
    It isn't the linux kernel that is playing such a huge role. It is Google Play services, which is not open source.
    10-14-14 02:11 PM
    I find it handy to run both windows (2 Win7 & 2 Win8) and linux, but not a fan of mac or "i" anything. Linux is great fun.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 03:05 PM
    I find it handy to run both windows (2 Win7 & 2 Win8) and linux, but not a fan of mac or "i" anything. Linux is great fun.

Posted via CB10
    I can't survive with a windows PC. I have devices that only program from windows. But I will tell you my windows PC gathers a lot of dust. ;-) The last time I used it, the windows update had 300 Mbytes of downloads, excluding the latest Nvidia update.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD and pystha like this.
    10-14-14 04:43 PM
139 1234 ...