Fairfax's Prem Watsa: ‘High-debt’ deal not right for BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail

For everyone who counted BlackBerry out and dismissed us as a defunct company with no possibility of resurrection, get ready to pucker up.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    11-05-13 07:13 AM
    They are not out of the fire yet and if the new CEO doesn't kick some backsides this will be a stay of execution.

If they do not shift product they cease to exist. I would slash profit margins and get the product moving it needs to be seen to sell so give some away to high profile people [like apple do]
    asiayeah likes this.
    11-05-13 07:19 AM
    It's a definite kick in the pants that the company needed. I have been vocal about Heins in the past on other threads, so the following statements are nothing new. Let Kevin sugarcoat Heins, but Heins was an absolute disaster for BlackBerry. He expected big things to happen on their own, cut too many costs including promotions, advertisement, and carrier handshakes that hurt BlackBerry 10 and its chance of succeeding, and even had ideas of whoring out the company in pieces to make a quick buck . In other words, he was a penny pinching ********* with no interest in personal relationships or any genuine vision for BlackBerry. If the Indian giving of a PlayBook update wasn't enough evidence, offering to sell the damn company sure as hell pointed that out real good. The man did not believe in his own company. Thank God for Prem Watsa and John Chen. What's the point of being debt-free if no one knows you exist? You don't owe any money, but you're not making any either. There's no excuse for 1 billion dollars in unsold Z10 handsets. I have one, and they are amazing devices in their own right. That happened because Heins was a cheapskate trading on the BlackBerry brand. People need to see what you have in order to want it which requires massive expensive advertising campaigns. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Common Sense 101.

Last edited by nerdydaddyo; 11-05-13 at 07:45 AM.
    djorourke likes this.
    11-05-13 07:27 AM
    The light at the end of the tunnel isn't visible yet. We shall see.
    wafiwanders likes this.
    11-05-13 07:40 AM
    The light at the end of the tunnel isn't visible yet. We shall see.
    That light is not the end of the tunnel ! It's a bloody train coming !!!
    11-06-13 09:47 AM
    The nice part is. . .change was made and more change is to come. Go. BlackBerry!!

Posted via Jiggy's Z10
    11-06-13 09:54 AM
    Wafi, I laughed my *** off at your comment! I think I saw a picture of an apple on the front of that train!!!

wafiwanders likes this.
    11-06-13 11:19 AM
    The nice part is. . .change was made and more change is to come. Go. BlackBerry!!

Posted via Jiggy's Z10
    And they made significant change not quite two years ago.
    And the company dug themselves deeper into the hole.
    More changes? Step 1 - define the end game. Niche company? Broken up for parts? A consumer facing company (good luck)? Enterprise (OK).
    How are they going to stop the bleeding of cash and customers.

Or in 18 months will there be yet more change. Wasn't it just at the AGM that everyone was crowing about how the transformation was on schedule? And cheering at every brilliant statement from now discredited leadership?

Keep Moving? Or keep shuffling deck chairs?
    11-06-13 11:58 AM