HI Everyone,

I recently acquired a passport (not SE).
    I have been using it for a little while now, and I just wondered...

What do you guys like about BB10 OS? I have always used multiple OSes, mainly out of curiosity and also boredom with whatever I'm currently using. I've never been a fanboy of any particular OS or brand as they all have their pros and cons.

At the moment I have to admit I find my iPhone (iOS 14) is simpler, and faster for whatever I need to do but I suppose that's progress for you. I can't remember what iOS and android were like when BB10 was current.

So, sorry to ask a question which has probable been on here before. How would you guys sell BB10 to someone new to it? Why do you like it?

So far, I love the hardware, i love the form-factor. Just little things like emails displaying properly rather than being squashed on a thin display is nice. I am slowly getting used to the keyboard and my speed is improving. The speakers on the PP are great. My iPhone seems so quiet by comparison. One thing I have noticed is that apps in BB World are tiny. I'm showing my age now but do you remember windows and office come on floppy disks. I still have a Psion Series 5 palmtop computer with OS and quite a decent office suite, all in 8mb of ROM. It's a joke when iOS apps such as word or whatever can be a few hundred MB!! WTF???

So I'd love to hear your thoughts on just what makes (made) BB10 so good. What is it that keeps you clinging to a dying platform? I’m not criticising BB10. I’m just trying to find a ‘Eureka’ moment to keep me using the Passport.

Cheers
    Rich
    Last edited by strontium74; 03-07-21 at 01:07 AM.
    03-06-21 02:06 PM
    hey Rich

Can I ask how recently you have acquired the passport?
    I'm afraid that you have to came to late to fully experience and appreciate the OS. Please consider this phone is from 2014 from hardware perspective where iOS was version 7 or 8?
    Also sorry for asking what do you mean by "apps in BB World are tiny".

Enjoy your passport. I'm still using my SE version.

Cheers
    A.
    03-08-21 07:17 AM
    Hi A, thanks for your reply. I got the Passport a couple of weeks ago so yes, very very late to the blackberry party.

When i said the apps are tiny i was referring to file size. Many apps on iOS can be hundreds of MB which to me seems insane, whereas in BB World the apps seem to be a fraction of this size. I found this quite refreshing and a nice change.

I intend to enjoy my passport while i can, as you suggest.

Thanks
    Rich
    03-08-21 04:36 PM
    A workhorse, without compromise.
    03-08-21 04:42 PM
    HI Everyone,

I recently acquired a passport (not SE).
    I have been using it for a little while now, and I just wondered...

What do you guys like about BB10 OS? I have always used multiple OSes, mainly out of curiosity and also boredom with whatever I'm currently using. I've never been a fanboy of any particular OS or brand as they all have their pros and cons.

At the moment I have to admit I find my iPhone (iOS 14) is simpler, and faster for whatever I need to do but I suppose that's progress for you. I can't remember what iOS and android were like when BB10 was current.

So, sorry to ask a question which has probable been on here before. How would you guys sell BB10 to someone new to it? Why do you like it?

So far, I love the hardware, i love the form-factor. Just little things like emails displaying properly rather than being squashed on a thin display is nice. I am slowly getting used to the keyboard and my speed is improving. The speakers on the PP are great. My iPhone seems so quiet by comparison. One thing I have noticed is that apps in BB World are tiny. I'm showing my age now but do you remember windows and office come on floppy disks. I still have a Psion Series 5 palmtop computer with OS and quite a decent office suite, all in 8mb of ROM. It's a joke when iOS apps such as word or whatever can be a few hundred MB!! WTF???

So I'd love to hear your thoughts on just what makes (made) BB10 so good. What is it that keeps you clinging to a dying platform? I’m not criticising BB10. I’m just trying to find a ‘Eureka’ moment to keep me using the Passport.

Cheers
    Rich
    I'm not sure you're going to find Eureka moment in a seven (7) year old device now. Personally, I enjoyed my Classic form but got used to Passport odd PKB layout and size when I used it back in 2014-2015 days. Enjoy it for what it's able to do then and now.
    03-08-21 04:58 PM
    Email management, antenna, microphone, speakers, aspect ratio, touch pad keyboard. Can't list it all.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-08-21 06:50 PM
    certainly email management. the hub is wonderful for managing lots of email accounts.

Also - your passport won't allow for the infection of malware or viruses etc.....your contacts, emails, business, etc will be safer.
    03-08-21 09:17 PM
    certainly email management. the hub is wonderful for managing lots of email accounts.

Also - your passport won't allow for the infection of malware or viruses etc.....your contacts, emails, business, etc will be safer.
    Well, the browser doesn't even support TLS 1.3, so let's not get too carried away. Nor does the HUB support 2fa.
    03-08-21 09:35 PM
    Thanks for all the comments. I do like the hub, my iPhone is set up so all my email accounts, gmail included, go through the outlook app which i find quite good, but the hub is more integrated with the OS which i like. I will probably end up carrying both the iPhone and the PP, and use each one as i need to.
    03-09-21 07:50 AM
    There's no 'selling' of BB10 to anyone these days except for enthusiasts who like to have one around for curiosity.
    I still use a BB10 phone as my one and only daily driver. So far still works for me. I personally find my iPhone (iOS 14) incredibly annoying at doing some of the most basic tasks that I want to get done. BB10 is much faster and simpler in my opinion.

It's not that I'm not familiar with it, I'm basically tech support for everyone else around me who are all iPhone/iPad and there's been an iPhone around here since the very first one.

I don't believe in dual carry. If I start doing that, it's time to shelve the BlackBerry.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-09-21 09:25 PM
    I don’t want to go off on a tangent but following your comment about dual carry, i thought I’d add that although dual carry can be a bit inconvenient i personally do like having devices for specific tasks. For example, my wife and I home educate our son. We use Google classroom as the central hub for his education. I have an android phone which is only for educational stuff and nothing else, so Google classroom, docs etc plus widgets set up with timetables, etc. I assume many people might have a work phone and a personal phone too, even if not supplied by their employer.

I am genuinely curious about what things you find faster and easier on BB10. As a new user it’s likely that I’m unaware of convenient shortcuts and ways of working.
    03-10-21 04:26 AM
    Dual carry isn't so bad if you choose the right device. I am use the thinnest Android I could find. It easily pockets next to my Passport. I make sure the backs are facing each other to avoid scratches to the screens.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-21 09:57 AM
    Well, the browser doesn't even support TLS 1.3, so let's not get too carried away. Nor does the HUB support 2fa.
    Yah I should have a disclaimer on my posts lol - I'm a die hard fanboy!

Seriously though - if someone grabs a passport or classic in great condition - they'll have a wonderful email experience!
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-10-21 11:29 AM

Seriously though - if someone grabs a passport or classic in great condition - they'll have a wonderful email experience!
    But is it safe, in 2021, to run email on a BB10 device ? From what I've read on these forums, BB10 is so outdated that it's actually the most risky OS to use for email.

Security has been the reason why I switched to iPhone, but the email, and the lack of a physical keyboard, are the biggest issues, even a year after that transition. No app has yet to come close to BB10 for email, and the hub.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-21 11:52 AM

But is it safe, in 2021, to run email on a BB10 device ? From what I've read on these forums, BB10 is so outdated that it's actually the most risky OS to use for email.

Security has been the reason why I switched to iPhone, but the email, and the lack of a physical keyboard, are the biggest issues, even a year after that transition. No app has yet to come close to BB10 for email, and the hub.

At the very least, I would have no client information or critical personal information on the phone. I would of course say the same thing about any Apple or Android product that has been more than three months past its last update.

Posted via CB10
    The one thing BB10 has going for it is security through obscurity.

But in all truthfulness, if I were still using that platform, I would at least be using a VPN 24/7.

Using older deprecated versions of Android apps creates some security uncertainty as well.

I would certainly not have any client or critical personal information on the phone. I would say the same thing regarding any Android or iOS device that is more than three months from its last update.
    03-10-21 11:58 AM
    The one thing BB10 has going for it is security through obscurity.

But in all truthfulness, if I were still using that platform, I would at least be using a VPN 24/7.

Using older deprecated versions of Android apps creates some security uncertainty as well.

I would certainly not have any client or critical personal information on the phone. I would say the same thing regarding any Android or iOS device that is more than three months from its last update.
    If someone uses an unpatched Android, how are they at risk if they're not downloading any files from or visiting any fishy websites, and only use trusted apps from major developers from the Play Store?

How would hackers get to him if he plays it safe via the above?
    03-10-21 02:55 PM
    If someone uses an unpatched Android, how are they at risk if they're not downloading any files from or visiting any fishy websites, and only use trusted apps from major developers from the Play Store?

How would hackers get to him if he plays it safe via the above?
    For sure, doing that will probably cut your exposure by 80%. But that's a pretty restrictive use case.

But there are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues that come up every now and then, for instance, that need to be patched where others can snoop. We've also seen carefully crafted media files and SMSes that drop payloads.
    Last edited by conite; 03-10-21 at 03:51 PM.
    03-10-21 03:26 PM
    For sure, doing that will probably cut your exposure by 80%. But that's a pretty restrictive use case.

But there are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues that come up every now and then, for instance, that need to be patched where others can snoop. We've also seen carefully crafted media files and SMSes that drop payloads.
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable using say a Priv or KEYone which have long been unpatched by now if I follow the above use case that I mentioned, plus avoid connecting to very public Wi-Fi networks (such as a mall/hotel lobby) and only enable Bluetooth when I actually mean to connect it to a device of mine.

This on top of my previous post seems reasonably doable, far more than making BB10 work in 2021 at least...
    03-10-21 04:49 PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable using say a Priv or KEYone which have long been unpatched by now if I follow the above use case that I mentioned, plus avoid connecting to very public Wi-Fi networks (such as a mall/hotel lobby) and only enable Bluetooth when I actually mean to connect it to a device of mine.

This on top of my previous post seems reasonably doable, far more than making BB10 work in 2021 at least...
    Ok. But honestly, if you're comfortable using a device stuck on Marshmallow (5 versions behind) that hasn't seen a security patch in well over 4 years, then we are just on a different planet. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

I'd feel safer on a Passport than a Priv. And I wouldn't be thrilled using that either.
    03-10-21 06:12 PM
    Ok. But honestly, if you're comfortable using a device stuck on Marshmallow (5 versions behind) that hasn't seen a security patch in well over 4 years, then we are just on a different planet. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

I'd feel safer on a Passport than a Priv. And I wouldn't be thrilled using that either.
    If the above mentioned precautions are considered somewhat safe on such an old device like the Priv, then applying the same careful usage on a KEY2/LE that is a few months out of date doesn't seem like "living on the edge" after all.
    03-10-21 06:45 PM
    If the above mentioned precautions are considered somewhat safe on such an old device like the Priv, then applying the same careful usage on a KEY2/LE that is a few months out of date doesn't seem like "living on the edge" after all.
    "Somewhat safe" is your term, not mine. Yes your exposure has been lowered compared to reckless abandon, but that is not my threshold.

The Priv has over 2,000 published security vulnerabilities - 250 of which are deemed critical.
    03-10-21 06:49 PM
    "Somewhat safe" is your term, not mine. Yes your exposure has been lowered compared to reckless abandon, but that is not my threshold.
    But if you're confident about being on top of your device usage as far as security is concerned, why leave your KEY2? (Aside from wanting a better display and newer OS)
    03-10-21 06:51 PM
    But if you're confident about being on top of your device usage as far as security is concerned, why leave your KEY2? (Aside from wanting a better display and newer OS)
    I'm not confident though.

1) I don't want to have to be aggressively vigilant 24/7, and

2) I can't protect myself from what I don't know or can't predict.
    03-10-21 06:53 PM
    The mistake is thinking Google Play Store is safe and then leaving Android exploits published and unpatched.

On my iPad, XR and 3a, I will sometimes have to make a quick scan of client identity documents and the related applications to establish accounts or policies.

The Camscanner malware fiasco possibly exposed personal and business data and why I'm emphatic on following my E&O insurance contract about devices running X-1 OS versions per my policy agreement.

Camscanner was the major third-party scanner app for several years.
    03-10-21 08:27 PM

There's also this neat feature with the Samsung browser...no automatic downloads and the option to always prompt you before a download starts.

This browser is available from the Play Store for any Droid I believe.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-18-21 01:49 PM
30 12