Interesting article on N4BB, thought I'd post it here:

http://n4bb.com/bbm-free-ios-android/

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 07:37 AM
    Interesting article on N4BB, thought I'd post it here:

Why BBM is Free on iOS and Android - N4BB

Posted via CB10
    Earlier today, BlackBerry*announced the availability*of BBM going cross-platform. When first launched, BBM on iOS and Android will only allow messaging and groups.
    Over time, BlackBerry intends to open up the more robust features current BlackBerry users have come to love. BlackBerry also announced that BBM will be free for those platforms.
    But why would they make one of the pinnacle features to a BlackBerry a free app on a competing platform? It comes down to the newly released*BBM Channels.
    While BlackBerry won�t be getting service revenue from BBM on other platforms, the company intends to make BBM profitable by targeting brands. BBM Channels is essentially a �Tumblr� extension for BlackBerry Messenger.
    This will allow for an added revenue streams from BBM Channels. There are allegedly other features that BlackBerry intends to offer subscriptions for on the competing platforms.
    BBM Channels is still in infancy, but it�s already taking off. In it�s first day, we�ve seen a few thousand subscribers. We�re certain the BBM Channels innovation will fair out much better than BBM Music.
    Let us know in the comments if you think making BBM free on other platforms was a good or bad idea. Should BlackBerry make BBM a paid app?
    Quoted the text of the story for folks to read.
    05-15-13 07:44 AM
    It is free for all BlackBerry 10 subscribers, why not for Android and iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 12:10 PM
    It is free for all BlackBerry 10 subscribers, why not for Android and iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    didn't use it on my BB phone when I had one, so why would I want it on another platform.
    05-15-13 12:12 PM
    didn't use it on my BB phone when I had one, so why would I want it on another platform.
    Don't know what that has to do with the thread or my post, but fine, don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 01:30 PM
    This was pretty much what I thought once I saw the Channels feature announced. After all if channels are to be used as intended if BBM is not cross platform you would only be interacting with BlackBerry BBM Channel subscribers. That would not likely present enough of a value to channels owners to make it worthwhile to them.
    05-15-13 03:08 PM
    Good point. Personally I think it's a great decision on BlackBerry's part
    Last edited by iamaragingtornado; 05-15-13 at 08:04 PM.
    05-15-13 04:10 PM