Are you saying Alphabet/Google requires Linux?
    02-23-17 10:39 PM
    Are you saying Alphabet/Google requires Linux?
    No, just the kernel and a few libraries.
    02-23-17 10:49 PM
    There is nothing in QNX that prevents ART from being fully compatible with Google Services (up to 4.4 at least which is completely OS-agnostic, not sure about later versions. Blackberry owns QNX anyway and could do necessary modifications for later versions)
    There *IS*, however, something in ART Blackberry used, that does.
    No, it was not necessary.
    No, installing Google Services on your non-google phone is not "pirating", Google does not prohibit end users doing that, they just do not allow companies to sell it without licensing.
    No, Blackberry should not stick to "enterprise" market which they failed anyway. Or they should, but they needed completely different features, but that is a different story.
    02-24-17 01:08 AM
    See Section 9.7 in the Android Compatibility Definition where is says using the Linux kernel isn't necessary.
    02-24-17 02:43 PM
    See Section 9.7 in the Android Compatibility Definition where is says using the Linux kernel isn't necessary.
    Maybe it's allowed, but it's never been done. Nor will it ever.
    02-24-17 03:19 PM
    A kernel of some type is necessary. If they don't use the Linux kernel, they'd either write their own or pay for someone else's.
    02-24-17 07:00 PM
    Has anyone outside a bored hobbyist bothered to create Android without the Linux kernel?
    The only major Linux distribution that I can recall that offered a non-Linux kernel out of the box was Debian, but they gave up on that.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-24-17 07:28 PM
    I am not professional but in my point is that

Shouldn't support android app.

I love BB10 it s better than android.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 07:42 PM
    Has anyone outside a bored hobbyist bothered to create Android without the Linux kernel?
    The only major Linux distribution that I can recall that offered a non-Linux kernel out of the box was Debian, but they gave up on that.
    Don't forget Ubuntu has become 3rd most popular choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 08:52 PM
    I am not professional but in my point is that

Shouldn't support android app.

I love BB10 it s better than android.

Posted via CB10
    Andoid is under armpit of BlackBerry 10 in comparison of features, mainly security features like most liked by me is parentral control through that i can disallow my child and wife from installing app using social app etc.

Posted via CB10
    meforblackberry likes this.
    02-24-17 08:57 PM
    A kernel of some type is necessary. If they don't use the Linux kernel, they'd either write their own or pay for someone else's.
    It is too too hard to develop a kernel. That's why they are using Linux kernel.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 09:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Bingo.
    02-24-17 11:57 PM
    The standard VM uses Unix like APIs in Linux. Neutrino has mostly API compatibility with POSIX. It should be easier to get ART running on QNX OS then on Windows and BlueStacks found it worthwhile to do so. Of course it is assumed that no new hardware is coming for BB10 making any prospect of such an investment practically nil to zero.
    arkenoi likes this.
    02-25-17 05:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    Writing a kernel isn't that hard, however it takes a fair amount of time and it also takes a lot of time for it to become reliable. There are other kernels that can be used instead of Linux. The BSD kernel, L4 kernel for example. There also more less known kernels.

Blackberry was smart to buy QNX as it gave them one of the best kernels out there, ready to go. Unfortunately they didn't capitlize on in enough.
    DonHB likes this.
    02-25-17 05:42 AM
    The same can be said of iOS and Android, which was my point.

Posted via CB10
    I call BS on that.
    It was because the iPhone worked well enough and was feature rich enough that it took off (with long ques waiting to purchase the phone).
    I got a Z10 when it first came out and sent it back after one week, because there were so many things wrong with that phone.
    Besides my own experience, statistics and facts prove your assertion to be incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:12 PM
    Which is not possible, because the Android VM had to communicate properly with BB10.

Cobalt had to reverse engineer Google Play Services to work properly in the BlackBerry framework.
    I am no Android internals expert, and the great work he has done should be acknowledged, but Cobalts solution had to work within the limitations of BlackBerry's runtime (some suggest implemented by a third party) and unless GPS uses Java Native Invocation he did not have to deal with BB10 "just" the runtime (i.e. VM and Android libraries).
    02-25-17 02:40 PM
    I call BS on that.
    It was because the iPhone worked well enough and was feature rich enough that it took off (with long ques waiting to purchase the phone).
    When the iPhone was first introduced it used Web technologies for app development and was missing cut and paste. It took a year before they introduced iOS development kits.

Had BlackBerry used the Android SDK with full Flow UX (as suggested by Alan Brenner) they would have allowed developers to both leverage their experience with the SDK and their existing code, perhaps, reducing BB10's time-to-market. BB10's UX and QNX's OS would provide the differentiation. They could have also been working on a native API gradually reimplimenting the VM using this API eating their own dogfood before releasing it to ISVs.

When John Chen became CEO in 2013, when GPS was less prevalent in Android apps, he could have had done the above using the native Cascades API producing a better Android without the Google.
    arkenoi likes this.
    02-25-17 03:11 PM
    Maybe it's allowed, but it's never been done. Nor will it ever.
    Check out section 9.4 about alternate runtimes.
    02-25-17 03:22 PM
    Check out section 9.4 about alternate runtimes.
    I read it. Doesn't change the fact that it's never been done without Linux.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-25-17 03:29 PM
    I would guess it was added in the early stages of Android development to allow support of Flash, because Apple specifically disallowed it.
    02-25-17 03:34 PM
    I call BS on that.
    I got a Z10 when it first came out and sent it back after one week, because there were so many things wrong with that phone.
    Besides my own experience, statistics and facts prove your assertion to be incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    Your facts are actually opinion. The iPhone took off because Apple has fanatics boarding on occultists, and that's a fact.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ZeroBarrier; 03-18-17 at 05:35 PM.
    DonHB, arkenoi and Mohammad Laut like this.
    02-25-17 03:43 PM
    Your facts are actually opinion. The iPhone took off because Apple has fanatatic boarding on occultists, and that's a fact.

Posted via CB10
    Now, I will never discount Apple's ability to create mindshare, but you can't reasonably deny that Apple makes good products.

Besides, BBRY has its fair share of rabid fans. Probably fewer, but no less loyal.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    02-25-17 04:20 PM
    I prefer OS X and BB10 to iOS, but BB10 running on an iPhone...
    02-25-17 09:15 PM
    Leprechauns and unicorns.

02-25-17 09:15 PM
    I think the possibility to run Android-Apps was rather an advantage than a disadvantage. Windows Phone has the same problem without Android-Compatibility. And there you can't even replace missing apps with Android apps.

The problem in my opinion was that BB10 never recieved the media hype like Apple, or even like the Retro Nokia 3310 now does. (Also same problem with Windows Phone, although the OS is ok.) And they were too late.

I really like the OS. Just find few things annoying, like
    Why do I have to make umlauts (äöü) via touch screen? Why can't I configure them on the sym key?
    Why is the camera noise connected to the ringing tone (silend/loud)?
    External GPS is not supportet (well it is, via Android emulation, but won't work in BB10 native apps)

But there are many plus points, so I'd buy a BB10 phone again if there was.
    03-18-17 09:31 AM
433 ... 15161718