06-15-13 08:00 AM
    I dunno about that. I have a Z10 and all the apps I want. What's not nice about that?
    06-15-13 08:06 AM
    Ballmer sounds like he is making poor decisions for shareholders. Paying Nokia a billion a year to mfr phones and now this? Microsoft should have bought BlackBerry. It would have been cheaper in the long run and been better for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 10:05 AM
    Ballmer sounds like he is making poor decisions for shareholders. Paying Nokia a billion a year to mfr phones and now this? Microsoft should have bought BlackBerry. It would have been cheaper in the long run and been better for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    They've been throwing billions on mobile and it's only a matter of time until they are the altenative to ios and android.

I for one commend their efforts - throw the kitchen sink.
    06-15-13 10:48 AM
    The only thing that surprises me is the amount is only 100k.

If I ran bbry I would offer Instagram and vine 5 mill on the spot to bring apps to BB10

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 10:57 AM
    I can't blame M$ for doing this, but this just makes me wish these developers would come right out and say "Give us cash and we'll make an app for your OS" instead of the usual bull$hit like "It's a great looking OS and we're currently exploring it" or "We're going to wait until more people are running the OS." Just admit it and say you simply want money!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:14 AM
    The only thing that surprises me is the amount is only 100k.

If I ran bbry I would offer Instagram and vine 5 mill on the spot to bring apps to BB10

Posted via CB10
    Current bb mgmt depends on android for all the app shortcomings of bb10 - this strategy has not paid off and will not. BB has an identity crisis and lacking any sense of urgency.
    06-15-13 11:25 AM
    They aren't paying out $100,000 per app to any developer, it's $100 per app submitted this month up to $2000 per developer. https://build.windowsstore.com/keept...id=4K87rJLlQyD

I don't think a $100 Visa gift card is really going to be incentive to attract big name apps. It's just a way of trying to fill up the store quickly to increase app count.

Pretty much the same thing BB did with the port-a-thons.
    06-15-13 11:27 AM
    Current bb mgmt depends on android for all the app shortcomings of bb10 - this strategy has not paid off and will not. BB has an identity crisis and lacking any sense of urgency.
    Funny a lot would say it is indeed working. Just look at Songza as a great example. I also disagree on the identity crisis, if anything I think they are more aware of their identity now than ever before.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-15-13 11:31 AM
    BlackBerry has things like the built for BlackBerry program and so many other offers plus BlackBerry has the easiest tools out of all the other platforms.

Also to the person that said 5 million for instagram and vine, realize that that's an insane amount of money and it's not something BlackBerry can afford...I'm sure apple could even afford that... probably why your not running a company though.

Btw vine is owned by twitter and instagram is owned by Facebook, so it would only make sense that these 2 apps find their way into BlackBerry World eventually.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 11:34 AM
    Funny a lot would say it is indeed working. Just look at Songza as a great example. I also disagree on the identity crisis, if anything I think they are more aware of their identity now than ever before.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Blackberry wants to be apple, google and bb all at once. They say they're "innovating" and Heins is on record that apple is not innovating suggesting that bb is, but have they really innovated? BBM? Hub? Swiping/gestures? None of which have paid off. Sure they've sold millions of bb10 devices but most of those were bb7 owners that waited for the z or q10.

Apple is not even fighting the hardware war anymore but perfecting their ecosystem for devs to build, google is the same and microsoft well they'll keep throwing money to attract devs. BB has not done any of that or have failed miserably. Which points to leadership as the main cause of where bb is today, none of bb mgmt have any track or proven record in tech.
    06-15-13 01:21 PM
    Really? Blackberry wants to be apple, google and bb all at once. They say they're "innovating" and Heins is on record that apple is not innovating suggesting that bb is, but have they really innovated? BBM? Hub? Swiping/gestures? None of which have paid off. Sure they've sold millions of bb10 devices but most of those were bb7 owners that waited for the z or q10.

Apple is not even fighting the hardware war anymore but perfecting their ecosystem for devs to build, google is the same and microsoft well they'll keep throwing money to attract devs. BB has not done any of that or have failed miserably. Which points to leadership as the main cause of where bb is today, none of bb mgmt have any track or proven record in tech.
    Yeah actually they did at BBlive. FIRST EVER VIDEO CHAT FROM CAR TO PHONE (VICE VERSA) USING BBM. And probably the first ever mobile phone to update a car system.

The rest of your post is nonsense you talking about people with years even decades of expereince in mobile space.Settle down on views a little your just armchair by stander you dont know the work being put in.
    06-15-13 04:03 PM
    Yeah actually they did at BBlive. FIRST EVER VIDEO CHAT FROM CAR TO PHONE (VICE VERSA) USING BBM. And probably the first ever mobile phone to update a car system.

The rest of your post is nonsense you talking about people with years even decades of expereince in mobile space.Settle down on views a little your just armchair by stander you dont know the work being put in.
    I'm convince you work for rim.
    06-15-13 04:05 PM

You'll never you'll see bbm video chat from a car be used at all. It's a stupid idea.
    06-15-13 04:09 PM

If you call what Apple is doing "innovation" then it's clear that no one in this industry is innovating at all. Company A borrows from B, B from D, D from A, and A from C, and C from everybody else. Only thing is a lot of people have a lot of money behind Apple and Google and will do anything they can to make sure that money stays there. Apple introduced some features that have been around for a while but becuase they did it, it's being called "revolutionary." Apple's innovation was just flattening and vomiting some color onto iOS7 and every tech site and analyst $h!t their f*cking pants in excitement. You can say I'm wrong and maybe I am but you can't help come to this same conclusion. Just my opinion. As far as Microsoft throwing money at dev's, I think it's a poor move. Dev's eventually will want more money and will expect that money and only will bring over apps if they do recieve that money.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 04:28 PM
    A little more tequila for posters on a late Saturday afternoon and this post could get interesting!

**** making some popcorn and will decide UFC or CrackBerry ****

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 04:43 PM
    Microsoft has to do this because they decided to diverge from many of the tools and libraries that aren't available on Windows Phone. In order to support Windows Phone it often requires a complete rewrite of the software and for very little return of investment because WP market share is so small. I don't know how well Blackberry is compatible with the Qt toolset but Qt helps companies to port their applications to various platforms.

In short, it is probably easier to port to Blackberry than Windows Phone and because of that Blackberry will get more applications and Microsoft must throw money in order to get support.

Microsoft is just pouring in money into their WP failure, $1 billion a year to Nokia as life support and now application developers. Will WP constantly be on Microsoft well fare money?
    ryanza likes this.
    06-15-13 04:47 PM
    I just don't know how people can say apple innovates, i mean really?
    IOs7 just xerox'd bb10 ,i mean seriously the lock screen they didn't even change the font of the clock, that's how shameless apple is
    And the sad thing is, is that these fanboys ara now just having wet dreams and orgasms just by looking at this stuff because it's apple, and they forget BlackBerry came with this first, and remember this is the software that took so long to build so they were working on this way way waaayyy back then
    I'm willing to bet money, if I took the Z10 and removed the BlackBerry logos and replaced them with apple, and gave these out to critics (and fanboys) the would be praising how good it is and it's nothing short of a miracle

Posted via CB10
    russworman, SnoozerBold and PJD642 like this.
    06-17-13 12:00 PM
    BlackBerry users do have the nice things -
    1. True multi-tasking with the ability to run eight apps at once all while seamlessly answering emails and txts and calls.
    2. BBM Video with screen sharing which will also be available on other platforms unlike Facetime.
    3. HUB which puts all emails, txts, notifications, and social feeds in one place with ability to respond without switching to the apps.
    4. Peek and Flow.
    5. Android app side loading which allows you to use the few missing apps.
    6. Wi Fi connectivity to computers allowing you to access computer directories and your computer to access your BlackBerry 10 devices the same way.
    7. Virtual keyboard that is not only refined looking, but, has great predictive functions and allows for easy flicking of the next word. Some sentences can be completed with just a few flicks.
    8. 15+ hours of battery life with heavy use.
    9. Faster Web browser with flash capabilities.
    10. Timeshift camera functions.

10.2 is bringing the ability to save a backup without Link or any special computer program. This means saving to a wireless hard drive without needing a pc. Jelly Bean Android is coming to allow compatibility with all android apps.

Other things BlackBerry users will have in the future that is nice include ability to use game controllers, BBM video chat from the car, and what other mobile platform can integrate with your car to update the car os? Iphones in car integration will not be as deep.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    A billion a year? Where did you get that from??
    06-17-13 01:03 PM
    A billion a year? Where did you get that from??
    I don't have a source on me but he is correct. When they struck a deal for Nokia to make Windows Phone their primary OS, Microsoft agreed to pay 1 billion dollars a year basically to keep things at Nokia afloat to actually be able to make devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:16 PM
    Well sadly I must admit battery life is nowhere near were I would want it to be
    But I love my Z10 it has all the apps I need for now and the multitasking is extremely awesome
    Apple blatantly copying BlackBerry to me is just flattering, too bad fanboys have too much glue in their eyes

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:17 PM
    You'll never you'll see bbm video chat from a car be used at all. It's a stupid idea.
    Right...because who really wants that? That's like saying we need DVD players in minivans for the kids, cup holders for our coffee, and air conditioning for those cross country trips.
    06-17-13 01:35 PM