We are all doomed.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    02-24-17 04:39 AM
    We are all doomed.

You rang?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-24-17 05:18 AM
    Nope, if it is dead then how you can use it)?
    It is proof that BlackBerry 10 is still alive. Hahaha!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 09:05 PM
    How so? Please elaborate. Remember though, it has to have been actually probable, like explain where BlackBerry would actually get hard cash to actually spend on your strategy(s).....
    What do you think their balance sheet looked like after they developed BB10? Do you have any idea?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:46 AM
    Here's something that will cheer everyone up: I spoken to Blackberry via Twitter and they said BB10 will be supported for the "forseeable future". I take this to mean we will see a few more minor updates e.g 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 and that will be it. And I suspect they'll not bring any significant new features, just security and bug fixes. But hey, I can live with that!

Post from my Blackberry Classic
    02-25-17 04:19 AM
    Here's something that will cheer everyone up: I spoken to Blackberry via Twitter and they said BB10 will be supported for the "forseeable future". I take this to mean we will see a few more minor updates e.g 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 and that will be it. And I suspect they'll not bring any significant new features, just security and bug fixes. But hey, I can live with that!

Post from my Blackberry Classic
    Like Nokia who said Symbian was going to be supported until 2016. In reality they did nothing with Symbian.
    02-25-17 05:37 AM
    If they continue it with a long term maintenance mode, it'd be not so bad.

02-25-17 05:38 AM
    You will be forbidden by Facebook soon
    You will be forbidden by WhatsApp soo
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 08:37 AM
    Blackberry 10 os still works well I have no problem with since last 2 years.....
    02-25-17 08:48 AM
    The question was "Why is BB10 dead? From reading the postings, I can see that few have answered the question. A good number of posters have stated, that for their purposes, it's still quite alive. I agree with the first poster who listed all the functions that work well. I'm in the camp that doesn't discard something on the whim that it won't work in the future. I don't equate my phone with some intricate mechanical device that needs preventive maintenance. The only thing I've ever done to my Z10 over the past three years is a battery pull 2-3 times and life returned to normal. I appreciate the couple postings that went on to explain why BB10 is "dying", and yes, the story is sad, but no different than many other "once-influential" giants. Eventually I will come to terms with the passing of BB10, but not until that time truly happens.
    02-25-17 10:19 AM
    No new development
    No new devices
    No apps

all because of: Dismal sales
    My Z30 is all I need so I don't need any new devices. IMHO, it is the best hardware with the best software. I have all the apps I need and if I need anything, I usually just write it. I have written a few apps for myself and I just made one public in January. It is called StockBook and it is now featured on The Finance Tycoon section of BlackBerry World.

Why is bb 10 dead?-img_20170225_130138.jpg

So BB10 is not dead for me and will function for a long time as long as I can sign the apps I have written.
    joaozx likes this.
    02-25-17 11:03 AM
    BB10 is not dead....yet. Its dying. Soon will be dead!

Posted via CB Powered by Leap
    02-27-17 06:34 AM
    BB10 is not dead....yet. Its dying. Soon will be dead!

Posted via CB Powered by Leap
    What is soon? 5 to 10 years?
    02-27-17 07:31 AM
    Based on one's definition of "dead", it is anywhere between 4 years ago, and never.
    02-27-17 07:35 AM
    It will be dead to you when it will no longer meet your needs due to whatever reason.

Also there is a difference between a dead phone and a dead platform. BB10 as a platform is pretty much dead as no new OS features have been developed in ages and no new phones have been released in just as much time.

This of Symbian as a dead platform. The OS might still be on some phones that are currently used (and the OS still fills the needs of a very small group of people), but there hasn't been any update of new phone with that OS for some time now and the platform is considered dead.
    02-27-17 07:51 AM
    In this world everything Dies why can't BB10 ?
    However living in memory is another form of life.
    02-27-17 08:05 AM
    It will be dead to you when it will no longer meet your needs due to whatever reason.

Also there is a difference between a dead phone and a dead platform. BB10 as a platform is pretty much dead as no new OS features have been developed in ages and no new phones have been released in just as much time.

This of Symbian as a dead platform. The OS might still be on some phones that are currently used (and the OS still fills the needs of a very small group of people), but there hasn't been any update of new phone with that OS for some time now and the platform is considered dead.
    Same with any OS. I wonder how many people who say that BB10 is dead are still using Windows 7.
    02-27-17 08:07 AM
    Same with any OS. I wonder how many people who say that BB10 is dead are still using Windows 7.
    Windows 7 has an arbitrary end of support date: January 2020.

Windows 7 still commands about half the windows userbase (myself included).

Almost all software currently available and currently being released is compatible with Windows 7.

No comparison. But get back with me in 3 years.

02-27-17 08:12 AM
    Windows 7 has an arbitrary end of support date: January 2020.

Windows 7 still commands about half the windows userbase (myself included).

Almost all software currently available and currently being released is compatible with Windows 7.

No comparison. But get back with me in 3 years.

Actually, Windows 7 has an end of life date of January 13, 2015, two years ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...cle-fact-sheet

The only support left for Windows 7 is for large corporations who pay big money for support. As general users, there is no support left and no more service packs.

So the fact that you use an OS that won't get any more fixes or service packs but it works for you, then it shows that a product dies for a person when a person stops using it.
    02-27-17 08:18 AM
    It is a little bit different with Windows because for that the main incompatibility will soon be hardware related.

PC being an open platform, there is a more clear separation between hardware and OS meaning you can install any OS on any hardware.

For example, newest versions of Intel processors (and soon AMD ones) no longer officially support Windows below 10. I recently built a new PC for a friend on using Intel's latest processor generation and ran across multiple BSODs during the install process (happening at random) of Windows 7.

In the end I did manage to make it work, but I wouldn't trust that system to do any "mission critical" stuff. He also encountered some BSODs during the next weeks and in the end he installed Windows 10 and no more BSODs.

Also I would not consider Windows 7 a dead platform as it has a clear upgrade path to the next version of the OS. When a BB10 phone will stop meeting your needs, you upgrade path is to switch to an entirely different OS.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-27-17 08:19 AM
    Final note on the "dead" Windows 7 mini-debate - Microsoft moving users off of Win7 to Win10 is comparable to BlackBerry transitioning from legacy BBOS to BB10. For Microsoft to have a similar sitation would be for them to lose almost all marketshare and users after releasing Win10 and letting Windows rot while they promote something entirely new.

It no longer matters what we feel about BB10, it's sitting in BlackBerry's own drawer now while Android is their daily driver.
    02-27-17 11:07 AM
    Actually, Windows 7 has an end of life date of January 13, 2015, two years ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...cle-fact-sheet

The only support left for Windows 7 is for large corporations who pay big money for support. As general users, there is no support left and no more service packs.

So the fact that you use an OS that won't get any more fixes or service packs but it works for you, then it shows that a product dies for a person when a person stops using it.
    I said end of support, not end of life. I know it's not for sale anymore. It will still receive security updates for 3 more years. I just got updates last week, in fact. Otherwise I'd have taken the free windows 10 upgrade.

02-27-17 12:40 PM
    People use "dead" as a euphemism for "stable but with no future planned investment/development" and no guarantee that apps built on third party APIs will continue to run properly.

It's still a full featured secure, stable OS for core smart phone functions for the time being. For many BlackBerry 10 users it still meets all their essential requirements.

Some people consider it irrelevant to them, and it assumes they are the ones calling it "dead."

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-28-17 03:39 PM
    BB10 is basically in maintenance type mode. Hence, many consider it on life support, almost dead.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-28-17 03:43 PM
    I'm still using it. It's getting tired but still kickin.
    03-01-17 03:08 AM
109 ... 2345