That's the one thing I miss about Legacy BB devices.

If a guy just wanted to backup his contacts, he plugged his phone in to his PC, runs the Desktop software and chose a custom backup of just his contacts. If that was too much trouble, he just logged in to Blackberry Protect and ran the app on his phone and could recover his contacts at any time.

I just want a single, local list. What on God's green earth made developers think I need 12 different contact lists? I can see the practical advantage and know how to use the <all> setting, but then it goes back to backing them up properly. Blackberry Link is the last place to look for this. I'm not even sure which of the 3 pitiful backup options (Applications, Settings, Media) backs up my contacts. I am assuming it is 'Settings' since it doesn't fit under Applications or Media, but what if I don't want to recover my Notifications, Ringtones, e-maill accounts, etc.? Just stupid. How does a guy do a fresh wipe and install and just put his contacts back on the phone?

Sure, I can back them up to a mail service but I don't want Google or Microsoft or Yahoo! to be the keeper of my contacts so they can mine the hell out of the people on my list. I guess I can go into each of the hundreds of contacts that I recover to the "Outlook" list and use the 'copy to' feature and move them to a different list..... one at a time. That's a great way to spend my afternoon.

Let's not forget too mention the whole "Links" thing. BB sure does make a lot of assumptions when linking contacts. Heaven forbid I have multiple friends that work in one place with a common phone number.

Finally, where is the <username> list coming from? How is this different or the same as the local list? I'm thinking this is the list that Link backs up, but since I haven't yet been able to perform a successful backup and recovery of my contacts to my PC I am assuming this list is somehow generated by Link? Yes? No?

It's a shame that Blackberry is touted as being the "Communication" device but I have to purchase a 3rd party app (i.e. X-Reve Contact Manager is what I've settled on for now) just to simply backup the list of people I want to contact.

Thanks for letting me rant. Other than that, I love my Blackberry Z10.
    06-15-14 09:40 AM
    We live in an age where the cloud is quite prominent. I moved all of my contacts to Outlook.com and have 0 problems. Sorry you're paranoid about MS having their info. If you use a Windows machine they have it anyway. And who do you use for your email service? They have that info, too.

And as for the contact linking, I think it does a pretty good job. But even when it messes up, I fix it ONCE and it's fixed. Are you wiping your phone every week?

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-15-14 09:47 AM
    We live in an age where the cloud is quite prominent. I moved all of my contacts to Outlook.com and have 0 problems. Sorry you're paranoid about MS having their info. If you use a Windows machine they have it anyway. And who do you use for your email service? They have that info, too.

And as for the contact linking, I think it does a pretty good job. But even when it messes up, I fix it ONCE and it's fixed. Are you wiping your phone every week?

Posted via CB10
    No, I just had an issue the other morning where my audible alarm didn't go off when the alarm went off. When I finally woke up about 30 minutes late, the phone's alarm screen was lit up like a torch, as I would expect when the alarm goes off, but the phone was so hot that it was nearly untouchable and it was locked up tight, couldn't get it to exit the Alarm Screen. I had to juggle it around and do a battery pull while trying not to burn myself. For the next few days the phone was glitchy and laggy, the battery life was about half of what it was previous and the phone would quickly heat up to become uncomfortably warm with simple things like phone calls or sending e-mails and texts. The only "normal" activity that gets my phone even close to that warm is using Mireo Don't Panic (GPS) for a road trip. I searched but couldn't find any background services that would be causing the CPU to run constantly at high levels. I was starting to think about a replacement but thought about a Wipe and Reinstall first. That seems to have fixed the problem so far (about 5 days in), but I wanted a completely fresh start; no recovered apps, settings, etc.

I'm not really paranoid about Microsoft or anyone else harvesting my info, it's more about accessibility. I prefer a physical copy in my possession that I can use regardless of environmental factors. If if the internet is down or someone's servers are having problems then I am stuck. Plus, I also like how my contacts are setup. The Fields are 100% accurate and I have many Avatars that I don't want screwed up. Generally, with cloud based services, there are at least a few fields that are messed up (Work # becomes Mobile #seems to be the most common) and the Avatars get screwed up (resolution changes and reduction of quality from being compressed and then uncompressed). It's just ugly and bother my very mild OCD.

I just can't grasp why they dropped Contacts from the backup function in Link.
    06-15-14 10:04 AM
    I hear you. I use an app called Contacts ImEx. I save the .vcf file to my SD card and back it up into my laptop. I prefer it this way. I have more control over my contacts.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 10:04 AM
    Even with syncing it would be nice if link backed up contacts and if it gave more user control as to what is backed up.
    06-15-14 10:13 AM
    Get Backup Pro. It is the best. Backup Pro - BlackBerry World

It will also allow the backup of your Remember app data and other data.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    06-15-14 10:22 AM
    I'm not really paranoid about Microsoft or anyone else harvesting my info, it's more about accessibility. I prefer a physical copy in my possession that I can use regardless of environmental factors. If if the internet is down or someone's servers are having problems then I am stuck.
    I'm not sure you fully realize the potential for a service like Outlook.com. When your contacts are stored in a mailbox on Microsoft's service, the contacts are synced to whatever mobile or desktop email clients you have. This means you have local copies of them that are kept synchronized so that if your Internet connection goes down, you don't lose access to them, just synchronization of updates (until the Internet connection comes back).

Plus, I also like how my contacts are setup. The Fields are 100% accurate and I have many Avatars that I don't want screwed up. Generally, with cloud based services, there are at least a few fields that are messed up (Work # becomes Mobile #seems to be the most common) and the Avatars get screwed up (resolution changes and reduction of quality from being compressed and then uncompressed). It's just ugly and bother my very mild OCD.
    That is a fair argument. ActiveSync for example doesn't support syncing all of the possible fields for a contact. It gets most of them, but not all like the BlackBerry PIN (although BlackBerry did try to implement a work around for this by reusing another field that wasn't a good field to reuse IMHO). And I have witnessed numbers getting synced to the wrong fields sometimes. That last part is easily correctable and only needs to be done once.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-15-14 10:47 AM
    Nobody around me can figure out the contacts app.. 100 Z10s in my office and everybody is frustrated at it. Most people this will be their last BlackBerry. If blackberry explained the contacts app and how to sync and back it up, then maybe less people would have problems. But for now even the instructions in the help section are basic and confuse the techies among us let alone the older folks...

I understand the syncing to an online email but seriously most people don't want to do that. They just want phone numbers on their phone and emails in their email. Simple!
    Doggerz likes this.
    06-15-14 01:16 PM
    Nobody around me can figure out the contacts app.. 100 Z10s in my office and everybody is frustrated at it. Most people this will be their last BlackBerry. If blackberry explained the contacts app and how to sync and back it up, then maybe less people would have problems. But for now even the instructions in the help section are basic and confuse the techies among us let alone the older folks...

I understand the syncing to an online email but seriously most people don't want to do that. They just want phone numbers on their phone and emails in their email. Simple!
    This is EXACTLY what I mean.
    06-15-14 01:26 PM

I used to have problems when I used Google contacts. I got rid of Google and my problems went away. Now I sync contacts from Outlook.com, my work Exchange ActiveSync, Skype, BBM, and local contacts. No SIM contacts. I have no issues since ditching Google.
    06-15-14 01:49 PM
    One would think that BlackBerry would have a consumer cloud sync system for phone data. But they don't. And that's why the app "Backup Pro" was created. The app was initially planned for the Nokia N9 but Nokia dropped Meego. Then along came BlackBerry 10 with that wonderful swipe UI - a natural handset transition.

With "Backup Pro" you can backup/restore most of what matters in your phone to Box, Dropbox, SD card, and/or internal memory. No wires. No computer. No fancy software.

And when it comes to privacy it's better than other cloud services for two reasons:

1. You choose your cloud location. Anonymous account on Dropbox perhaps.
    2. You have the option of encrypting your contacts, notes, etc before they are uploaded to the cloud.

Indeed the app is sooooooooooooo FUNDAMENTAL to BlackBerry 10, I am amazed word about it hasn't spread like wild fire. Certainly those who have purchased it are quick to share their recommendation.

Think of it this way. "Backup Pro" isn't just another app, it's an investment. An investment by those who would rather contribute to the development of a high quality solution right now rather than waiting in despair for BlackBerry to deliver the goods. Indeed much of the app is built on user requests. And more brilliant features are coming to those who have chosen to join us on this journey.
    06-15-14 08:07 PM
    Why is backing up Contacts for BB10 such a PITA???!!!!-img_20140617_083355.png
    So wait..these backups aren't enough?
    06-17-14 07:35 AM
    Go to BBW and look up Firechest. Read what is backed up. Those items with an asterisk (*) are backed up in BackupPro - not in Firechest.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:13 AM
    I am an outlook.com user and one of the problems I have found, which may be related to online sync, is that some contacts do not sync back to apps properly.

Two examples are the phone app speed dials and Bebuzz. When a restore is done and then the contacts are resynced, they usually don't match up properly in the app. For example, on the phone app I have three speed dials. On the latest restore after having my phone repaired, the speed dial that was my wife's work number was some random contact. I stopped using Bebuzz, but the same would happen with BeBuzz. The saved contacts with special ring tones and etc would restore as random contacts from my contact list.

My guess on this is the App saves the unique ID of the contact and after a restore and resync to Outlook.com, a new unique ID is assigned as each contact is imported into the phone from the cloud. It is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:39 AM
    Your problem seems to be BB way of doing things in new OS10 for the moment.
    I haven't found an option in BB Link nor satisfactory information on contacts and managing them from BB official site either. Documentation is not poor, is almost non existent.
    My personal advice, through years of handling Contacts, backing them up, migrating them to different systems or platforms, is this:
    You can't have a standard way of doing it, and no app can do everything one needs and do it correctly.
    Many times one will have to use more than one app and improvise an intuitive way of backing/restoring/migrating his contacts database, because although most people don't get it, contacts nowdays is a quite completed database. Which in new BB OS10 is quite different from previous OS 7 and not entirely compatible.
    Unfortunately, every time u change your platform, chances are you'll have to do some work, either by an App or even worst manually. Yes unfortunately this is the rule and not the exception. Even if someone is against that idea of doing it, he has to built a system/App to successfully do it which in my experience it's only worth it if it's going to be done repetitively, in a organisation environment, by ITs etc. Most of the times manually rectifying the contacts assuming they are in the range under 2000-2500 would be more productive.
    Now for your case in particular, BB Link is saving the backup file in a *.bbb type of file, which is the same extension as previous BB OSS. This is a BB zipped backup file. If you go inside you can see the folders actually saved in it.
    Now Elcomsoft has a tool to open it up and also extract information to formats you choose.
    It's not what you try to find exactly, a Restore option to restore just the data you want like previous BB Desktop SW but it might do the trick without the need to upload everything in the cloud.
    An other trick could be syncing your BB contacts with an MS Outlook (not Outlook Express- and you don't have to set an email acc for that, in the case you don't want to send your contacts to MS). You may cut off your internet connection to be sure of that. Then if successfully update your Outlook with your BB contacts (be carefull to check one way copy to your PC, otherwise your phone's contacts will be altered) you can factory reset + security wipe your BB and go to sync your Outlooks contacts with your phone's afterwards, making sure you choose One Way from your PC to your BB this time. And hope for the best :-)

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:19 AM
    Backup Pro now does SMS/MMS backup too. Just waiting for BlackBerry World to approve the new update. Should be available Friday evening.

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    06-19-14 09:55 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140617_083355.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	278490
    InTouch contacts destroyed my contacts. Horribly. I was blaming my Z10 for months until I got rid of it. ... FYI

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD