Hi.

I have a BBZ10 and I have a big problem with managing my email on the HUB.

I have two email accounts (gmail and Zimbra). For my two accounts there has the same problem:
    When I delete an email, the email is deleted from my Z10 and my server, like I configured. The BIG problem is that it is not going in the recycle bin! The email ... Disappearing. Simply. I don't understand why !..

When I am on my computer and I delete an email (gmail account or Zimbra account) it is found in the recycle bin. When I suppressed an email from my iPhone, it was found in the recycle bin.

Why is not the same with my Z10? My girlfriend has a Q5 and she has the same problem with his gmail account: When she deletes an email, it does not go into the*recycle bin but disappears from the server ...

Can you enlighten me? I need your help!

Thank you very much.
    08-02-14 10:06 AM
    leBIZBIS,

Gmail's IMAP implementation is a bit different than others -- partially because of the "labels" vs "folders" concept. What you want to achieve can be done. I have it working perfectly on a Z10 and Z30. Both are set to delete "on handheld and server", and when I delete a message from my device, the deleted message goes into "Trash" in Gmail. That label/folder is synced on my devices, so I can access the deleted files if necessary.

See the instructions in this link:
    How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP

It's very important to note that all the settings described must be in place. Any deviation can cause it to fail.

Give it a try.
    Sadly, the standard value is the "safest" one, so deleting on device, deletes also from server.
    You can modify that, to "delete from" Handheld/Both/Prompt.
    I chose "prompt"...
    In HUB>...>Settings>Display and Action(s) at the bottom/near bottom of the page:
    Why aren't my deleted emails going to the recycle bin?-img_20140802_161038.png

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-02-14 10:13 AM
    Oh... naturally, from the phone hub deleted emails stay in the "inbox" of GMail. Deleted Gmails vanish from server, so not in trash bin... coz the intention was to delete!
    May be it has to do with "push" or IMAP standards, who knows!?

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-02-14 10:17 AM
    leBIZBIS,

Gmail's IMAP implementation is a bit different than others -- partially because of the "labels" vs "folders" concept. What you want to achieve can be done. I have it working perfectly on a Z10 and Z30. Both are set to delete "on handheld and server", and when I delete a message from my device, the deleted message goes into "Trash" in Gmail. That label/folder is synced on my devices, so I can access the deleted files if necessary.

It's very important to note that all the settings described must be in place. Any deviation can cause it to fail.

Give it a try.
    08-02-14 11:01 AM
    My experience with several (non-Gmail) IMAP accounts is, that BlackBerry does not know, what the Trash/Recycle bin is good for.
    All other email programs simply move mails into the Trash bin, when deleted. BB hub really removes them from the server.

Using the "delete from handheld/server/both" option does not change much.
    Delete only from handheld -> mail is still in inbox on server and visible again when using a different email client.
    Delete from server/both -> mail is purged from server
    Either way, the Trash/Recycle bin is never used.

When in doubt, I move my mails manually to the Trash bin, but this is a suboptimal solution.
    08-02-14 12:03 PM
    Thank you for your answers. What I do not understand is why BB 10 works like this? This is weird! I did not have this problems with my iPhone, my iPad or on my old Android devices. When I deleted an email, he went to the recycle bin recycle bin, that's all ...
    This is a big problem to BB 10 for me...

Everyone has this "problem"?
    08-02-14 12:11 PM
    I posted this on another thread I started, but it seems relevant here.

Since the latest update on Verizon, my "delete on handset/server" options have no effect when using the "delete prior" long-press.
    Regardless of the setting within the Hub options submenu, a dialogue box informs that mail will be deleted from the Hub but left on the server.

This is something new, as before I was always able to "multiple delete" from the servers using the long press technique. Selecting individually for deletion does effectively delete from handheld and server.
    08-02-14 12:22 PM
    Thank you for your answers. What I do not understand is why BB 10 works like this? This is weird! I did not have this problems with my iPhone, my iPad or on my old Android devices. When I deleted an email, he went to the recycle bin recycle bin, that's all ...
    This is a big problem to BB 10 for me...
    For the "recycle bin" function, the mail client has to know the name of the folder (e.g. "trash", "deleted items", "Papierkorb" (german)), because instead of deleting the message the client simply shifts the mail to this folder.
    In iOS and MacOS mail you can select the folder for trash, but you can't in BB hub. So, I think, this function is actually not implemented.
    Manual shifting only.

On the other hand, Gmail most likely detects what you want to do and does the right thing on server side.
    08-02-14 01:29 PM
    I have the same issue. My email is a POP account and it doesn't recognize the recycle bin nor can I do any folder management. My iphone I had before could. I miss that on my Z 10

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 02:34 PM
    GOOD NEWS!
    10.3 will most likely support a trash bin:
    Why aren't my deleted emails going to the recycle bin?-img_20140802_192906.png

But it seems not to work yet in developer version 10.3.0.700.
    08-02-14 03:47 PM
    Ok. So if I understand correctly, it is currently impossible to delete an email that ends up in the recycle bin. Regardless of the email account.
    BUT with the 10.3 update it will be possible? Like for iOS and Android? Yes ! It was time ! This news delights me!

Envoy de mon iPad l'aide de CB Forums
    08-03-14 01:46 PM
    Ok. So if I understand correctly, it is currently impossible to delete an email that ends up in the recycle bin. Regardless of the email account.
    BUT with the 10.3 update it will be possible? Like for iOS and Android? Yes ! It was time ! This news delights me!

Envoy de mon iPad l'aide de CB Forums
    No, it is not currently impossible. See my post (#4) for Gmail. With the specified settings, email deleted from device goes inrto Gmail trash the same as if you deleted it within Gmail web. There is no issue with ActiveSync accounts either. This is on all the 10.2.1.xxxx versions.

10.3.x.xxxx will allow specific folder mapping wich can include​ deleted and sent messages.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-14 03:32 PM
    No, it is not currently impossible. See my post (#4) for Gmail. With the specified settings, email deleted from device goes inrto Gmail trash the same as if you deleted it within Gmail web. There is no issue with ActiveSync accounts either. This is on all the 10.2.1.xxxx versions.

10.3.x.xxxx will allow specific folder mapping wich can include​ deleted and sent messages.
    Thank's ! Yes it's ok for Gmail account but... Unfortunately I haven't this possibility with my other account... (Zimbra) I could delete to the recycle bin with my old iPhone, but I can't with my new Z10... I hope 10.3 will arrange that.
    08-03-14 03:51 PM
    Hi everyone!
    I update this thread because with the 10.3.1 update I expected to finally have a REAL way of deleting my emails to gmail. But this is not... When I delete an email, it doesn't go directly into the trash. Also, I don't know why but the technique to work around this problem cited by Elessar.cm doesn't work all the time. And when it works I have to wait several long minutes for the synchronization to do...
    The update 10.3.1 has finally introduced a new "folder mapping" menu like on iOS but... IT DOES NOT WORK!

Am I the only one with this problem? Anyone know when this ******* problem will be solved by BB ?!

Thank you ... :'(
    02-23-15 06:05 PM
    Have you tried as a work around to instead of "Delete" the message(s) but "File" them to Trash can instead?

Personally, I don't delete a darn thing. Not from the handheld anyways.

Also, if you sdelect multiple messages to delete, the BB issues a HARD delete which in theory is supposed to bypass the trash can.
    02-23-15 07:35 PM
    Yes I can do that. Buy I would like delete messages go to the Gmail trash automatically... Why BB do nothing about Gmail issues ??
    02-24-15 10:53 AM
    Same issue here day one with my new Classic.

File (move) emails to Trash folder does work for me.

I now never use the Delete function on my phone as it is not functioning properly at all for emails for any of my 4 accounts.

Stupid for sure. Between this and the horrible new Calendar, Blackberry is really trying to push me away from using their devices.
    02-24-15 12:47 PM
    leBIZBIS,

Give it a try.
    Thought it was worth posting to confirm that I've just followed the above and it seems to have worked well. I'm using a BB Classic and running the current version of the OS.

So thanks a lot for the useful advice!
    Ecm likes this.
    05-07-15 02:12 PM
    Thought it was worth posting to confirm that I've just followed the above and it seems to have worked well. I'm using a BB Classic and running the current version of the OS.

So thanks a lot for the useful advice!
    You're entirely welcome.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    05-07-15 05:08 PM