03-08-17 07:37 AM
62 123
tools
    We're looking at solutions to make money off BB10, not lose more money on it.

You telling me there's no company in the world that couldn't reuse the perfectly good components, drop the price a little and sell a couple million Classics / Q10s / Passports a year for a little profit?
    Unless that was sarcasm...

BlackBerry themselves already sold the Passport for "a little lower price" of $349 right before it was dropped from ShopBlackberry. If there was a "little profit", wouldn't you think they would be all over it and ordering a more stock themselves and selling them?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 08:25 AM

You telling me there's no company in the world that couldn't reuse the perfectly good components, drop the price a little and sell a couple million Classics / Q10s / Passports a year for a little profit?
    There was. BlackBerry!

I don't know why you would. You are much better of selling a cheap Android that can have all the apps.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 08:38 AM

Then you should license it, and put proof to puddin'
    03-03-17 08:59 AM

Well, question is 'what would be the benefit for BlackBerry?'. Besides the propable few pennies, licensing it would mean: maintain it (teams, support). Also, I'm pretty sure BlackBerry won't agree to make it open source as many components may use technologies and 'special / secret sauces' they'd better license separately or not divulge at all ...
    03-03-17 09:10 AM

Perhaps not.

BB is LOSING market share with these devices. They have stopped making the Classic, I believe.

So, how would anyone else make money on it?

Are the people still using OS7 devices going to move to a 4 year old spec phone to get BB10, or are they going to simply go to 'Droid or Ios for about the same money but with superior specs.

I just don't see any future there, especially with BB10's reputation for few apps.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 10:41 AM

Yes, myself and others repeatedly!
    It doesn't seem to have any effect though.
    03-03-17 10:50 AM

Problem is there isn't as much difference in the cost of building a Passport today as their was two years ago... might save $25 on the tech components (doubt the screen would be any cheaper), but end up paying more for a new smaller production run. You don't think there is a factory out there that is setup to make Passports still, do you?

You'd be back at maybe $500 retail... because the only reason the price has dropped over time it how companies write off dead inventory. That's great for the buyers, but doesn't help the company much at all.

The key to low cost devices.... is volume and cheaper components (not just old ones - those can actually cost more).
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 11:18 AM
    It would need to be a company with unparalleled expertise in stabbing both customers and itself in the back, while simultaneously generating a continuous stream of steaming incompetence.

Umm...

Oh wait... British Rail.
    03-03-17 01:08 PM
    This is a game of scale. The only way to operate as a niche player would be to get people to pay very high prices. If you were to invest in this business idea, and had to turn around and discount the phones heavily (which BB has had to do repeatedly), then you'd be out of business quickly.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-03-17 02:38 PM
    No one will, because everyone is busy with Android offered by BlackBerry with a catchphase of SECURE ANDROID which didn't get place in Enterprises /Govt/Defence/Medicial etc.

Bb10 is dead friends, harsh reality. Android is the future. But BlackBerry android... nope, samsung yes

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 02:53 PM

But BlackBerry android... nope, samsung yes

Posted via CB10
    Well, 3 separate and excited global licencees might take issue with that.
    03-03-17 03:09 PM
    BB10 had some phenomenal software engineers. Some of the best in the industry, and that's not hyperbole. It's one of the best coded OS's. Unfortunately it hasn't been properly maintained in years. Nobody would license this software, no one who could maintain old-logo BlackBerry's ethics or philosophy. Those kinds of capable minds are gobbled up already.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-08-17 07:37 AM
62 123