Kindle Fire OS doesn't require Google services.

Companies would be crazy not to offer up their apps to potentially millions of users (people who have Amazon tablets).

Swap out Android runtime with Fire OS runtime, that would be a fine solution and would let the Google bigots keep their toys.
    The Amazon appstore is currently a wasteland of outdated apps, and is missing many of the top apps completely.
    03-02-17 06:37 AM
    You're not alone on this. $1 billion worth of coding? That's a lot of coding.

At an average of $200 an hour, that would be 5 million hours of coding. I find that hard to swallow.

Posted via CB10
    Yet that's how much is spent by the others.

It's not just developers, it's the entire infrastructure that is required to support them, and to support the products they make.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-02-17 06:39 AM
    It really isn't a consumer OS. Blackberry should revisit it if the recovery is successful, rebuild the BB10 team and release low volume corporate devices. They should develop their own apps with a team that responds to customer requests. Again... not as a consumer device though so Facebook and all that are non priority as long as there is a web version. With a proper web browser there is very little you cant do.
    03-02-17 06:54 AM
    The Amazon appstore is currently a wasteland of outdated apps, and is missing many of the top apps completely.

The app selection is more limited for BlackBerry devices than Fire tablets. Yes many of the apps aren't as up to date. If companies can't be bothered to pitch their app to millions of potential users, what does that say about them? It means they're stupid or incompetent.

I know the whole discussion about BB10 is academic anyway, and the runtime won't be updated.

I'm currently moving away from Google as far as possible, because what it's doing right now looks exactly like what Microsoft did to monopolize and abuse the PC market.
    03-02-17 06:58 AM
    Some here don't realize that BB10 was put out to pasture two years ago... at this point it does need a LOT of work to be modernized to "keep up" or try to surpass where iOS and Android is in their features and capabilities.

And yeah, it's not just about the coders, buildings would need to be leased, equipment purchased, support staff put in place... and then find several hundred coders to be trained in what BB10 is. Maybe after months of planning and training they could start on actual coding... 1st up would be to convert BB10 to a 64Bit OS. So I would expect you'd be looking at 18 - 24 months to get out a new product (if an existing building could be found).

I don't know if it wold cost $1 Billion or only $500 Million... either way the question is WHY do it?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 07:15 AM
    Some here don't realize that BB10 was put out to pasture two years ago... at this point it does need a LOT of work to be modernized to "keep up" or try to surpass where iOS and Android is in their features and capabilities.

And yeah, it's not just about the coders, buildings would need to be leased, equipment purchased, support staff put in place... and then find several hundred coders to be trained in what BB10 is. Maybe after months of planning and training they could start on actual coding... 1st up would be to convert BB10 to a 64Bit OS. So I would expect you'd be looking at 18 - 24 months to get out a new product (if an existing building could be found).

I don't know if it wold cost $1 Billion or only $500 Million... either way the question is WHY do it?
    Well, I have got an iOS 10.x device and a Google 6.x device and BB10, notwithstanding lack of native apps, is still better than both. If it had a faster and more up to date runtime, it would be perfect.
    03-02-17 07:35 AM
    Because don't want to be rekt by the Google Analdroid!

Blah Blah Chen is a liar!

Don't hate me, I'm just paraphrasing.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 03-02-17 at 08:25 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and DrBoomBotz like this.
    03-02-17 07:37 AM
    Well, I have got an iOS 10.x device and a Google 6.x device and BB10, notwithstanding lack of native apps, is still better than both. If it had a faster and more up to date runtime, it would be perfect.
    For you.... and how many others?
    I understand the appeal of BB10, I understand that some here would even take just a new hardware set without any improvements to BB10 or promises of future upgrades. But a few hardcore fans don't equal the volume or revenues that it takes to make a product viable.
    03-02-17 08:40 AM
    For you.... and how many others?
    I understand the appeal of BB10, I understand that some here would even take just a new hardware set without any improvements to BB10 or promises of future upgrades. But a few hardcore fans don't equal the volume or revenues that it takes to make a product viable.

I agree, very low numbers. So if they were selling <200,000 per quarter before stopping production, I'm not sure how much further than number would have fallen if they kept making them.

Thing is, Amazon (again) is using really old components for its latest range of budget tablets. We're talking low-end CPUs, 1GB RAM, screens with <200 DPI. They run smoothly. As do iOS devices with 1GB RAM and 2 cores.

I don't understand how you couldn't profit from selling a couple million BB10 units a year, just reusing the same hardware. Minimal updates and development need to be done to it.

Futile speculation anyway. It's Android or iOS or 'cease all mobile communications'!
    03-02-17 09:59 AM
    Now that BlackBerry has finally failed it's users, brand and OS it is now time to talk about who, if anyone, will carry on BB10.
    Failed?

How is it failure to move from a SINKING, FAILING platform and onto one that gives the corporation an opportunity to survive?

When GM (General Motors) was facing bankruptcy part of what they did was drop the Pontiac car line. Entirely. No more Pontiac, at all.
    Does that mean that GM failed?
    Hmmmmmm - they are still alive, still selling vehicles.
    If they had said, "No, we MUST continue to offer this poorly selling, unprofitable line because it's part of our heritage!", then they might NOT be here, selling vehicles.

Bottom line - there is just no business sense left in marketing BB10. I mourn the loss also, but I've transitioned to a PRIV and ... my life has continued! I've been able to do this without wanting to leap off of a tall building.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 10:03 AM
    Thing is, Amazon (again) is using really old components for its latest range of budget tablets. We're talking low-end CPUs, 1GB RAM, screens with <200 DPI. They run smoothly. As do iOS devices with 1GB RAM and 2 cores.

I don't understand how you couldn't profit from selling a couple million BB10 units a year, just reusing the same hardware. Minimal updates and development need to be done to it.
    Dude, have you seen the moaning, wailing, gnashing of teeth and general howling and carrying on that accompanies EVERY hardware launch lately?

Part of me was astonished that my PRIV could even send a text message - so many posters had slagged the hardware!

So, if someone offered BB10 on the sort of hardware you're suggesting, I'm sure the howls of outrage would cause hearing issues all over the world.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 10:07 AM
    I agree. It's still better. The browser still works. Somehow some think it needs "catching up."

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 01:13 PM
    Failed?

How is it failure to move from a SINKING, FAILING platform and onto one that gives the corporation an opportunity to survive?

When GM (General Motors) was facing bankruptcy part of what they did was drop the Pontiac car line. Entirely. No more Pontiac, at all.
    Does that mean that GM failed?
    Hmmmmmm - they are still alive, still selling vehicles.
    If they had said, "No, we MUST continue to offer this poorly selling, unprofitable line because it's part of our heritage!", then they might NOT be here, selling vehicles.

Bottom line - there is just no business sense left in marketing BB10. I mourn the loss also, but I've transitioned to a PRIV and ... my life has continued! I've been able to do this without wanting to leap off of a tall building.
    What if GM fired 90% of its staff, stopped making cars and licensed the brand names like "Cadillac" and "Corvette" to Mercedes Benz for a tiny fraction of what it earned when it still built its own cars?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 01:18 PM
    What if GM fired 90% of its staff, stopped making cars and licensed the brand names like "Cadillac" and "Corvette" to Mercedes Benz for a tiny fraction of what it earned when it still built its own cars?

Posted via CB10
    Almost all of the Pontiac employees were gone, and GM hasn't made a penny off the name since dropping it.
    03-02-17 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    If they were losing millions of dollars a quarter building cars, but now make revenue from licencing the brand and providing all of the tech to the licencee, then that would be a good thing.
    03-02-17 01:43 PM
    Almost all of the Pontiac employees were gone, and GM hasn't made a penny off the name since dropping it.
    Does GM still make cars? Si.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 01:47 PM
    Does GM still make cars? Si.

Posted via CB10
    You're taking it too literally. Car brands here aren't just devices. Think Pontiac = BB10, Buick = Good, Cadillac = BlackBerry Radar.
    03-02-17 03:35 PM
    Don't forget Oldsmobile and Saturn, they need to be added to the list.

GM did try to sell Saturn and had a buyer but could not work out the details to complete the deal.

If GM could not cost effectively build cars and wanted to be in another business they provably would license or sell their valuable names. If they went bankrupt their IP and names would be sold. Lots of old name brands are slapped on stuff, even though those companies no longer exist.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-02-17 06:26 PM
    Not to mention all the companies GM has licensed to build their cars, such as Toyota, Isuzu and Opel.

Now, can we get back on topic, which is *scrolls up top*

Oh yeah! Who should license BB10?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-02-17 07:33 PM
    Not to mention all the companies GM has licensed to build their cars, such as Toyota, Isuzu and Opel.

Now, can we get back on topic, which is *scrolls up top*

Oh yeah! Who should license BB10?
    The first answer to this thread should be "No" then LOCKED. Why let it have any other answers, on topic or off?
    BigBadWulf and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-02-17 07:36 PM
    The first answer to this thread should be "No" then LOCKED. Why let it have any other answers, on topic or off?
    This is why you're an ambassador, and I'm a moderator.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    03-02-17 07:39 PM
    This is why you're an ambassador, and I'm a moderator.
    One thing good about the new forum skin is that they finally got rid of the stupid Ambassador tag. I mean what's the point, most of them don't even us BlackBerries anymore.

PS: your font colour isn't quite contrasting well with the dark theme lol.
    03-02-17 08:42 PM
    One thing good about the new forum skin is that they finally got rid of the stupid Ambassador tag. I mean what's the point, most of them don't even us BlackBerries anymore.

PS: your font colour isn't quite contrasting well with the dark theme lol.
    If you met Denise, you'd be hard pressed to ignore the red Passport she uses.

I'm trying to run in stealth mode.
    03-02-17 08:48 PM
    We're looking at solutions to make money off BB10, not lose more money on it.

You telling me there's no company in the world that couldn't reuse the perfectly good components, drop the price a little and sell a couple million Classics / Q10s / Passports a year for a little profit?
    03-03-17 06:44 AM
    You telling me there's no company in the world that couldn't reuse the perfectly good components, drop the price a little and sell a couple million Classics / Q10s / Passports a year for a little profit?
    It would seem.
    03-03-17 07:10 AM
62 123