... or at least the possibility to switch between the two.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 05:55 PM
    No need, no interest.

Posted via CB10
    extisis, rthonpm, tjseaman and 1 others like this.
    08-24-15 06:03 PM
    Ridiculous discussion.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 06:10 PM
    Oh, and completely unwarranted and unnecessarily.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 06:10 PM
    Since many people want Android, and some still want BB10 offering the same hardware with a choice of OS seems like a good idea and as simple as making auto loaders available.

However offering a dual-boot capability would probably be too much of a support problem.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    Yass85 likes this.
    08-24-15 06:54 PM
    It's a damn terrible idea. Do you think the average user will care about a dual-boot phone, let alone figure out how to use a dual-boot phone?

If they have an option to make a BlackBerry 10 skin for Android, that should make people from BlackBerry 10 feel more at home.

At the time, it doesn't make sense to dual-boot. No major manufacturer has ever done this.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    Yass85 likes this.
    08-25-15 07:52 AM
    Correction to the above posts: there is need, there is interest, the discussion is not ridiculous and it's not unwarranted or unnecessary.
    Saying something stupid and hurtful without even any arguments to back up will just make you look like a fool.
    I for one, think that a dual-boot would not be a bad idea at all. Maybe not the most practical because you'd have to reboot the phone to switch. And probably not the most feasible option either: there would have to be different disk partitions, etc.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    Yass85 likes this.
    08-25-15 12:21 PM
    Correction to the above posts: there is need, there is interest, the discussion is not ridiculous and it's not unwarranted or unnecessary.
    Saying something stupid and hurtful without even any arguments to back up will just make you look like a fool.
    Strange....despite your insults and claims to own the one and only truth, I still feel that I have no need and no interest in such a feature. What's wrong with me?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 04:57 PM
    Like I said, there really isn't no need to have dual-boot. It's confusing for your average user. And for "there is a need", yeah...like a very, very small minority of people want it.
    08-25-15 06:29 PM
    As a bb10 and android user I wouldn't know witch one suits me the best until I tried each of them for a while. If the Os is locked on a specific device like "Venice android" and "Venice bb10 " I don't have the money to buy each of them and my carrier has a very limited return policy so it's a bit frustrating.

Having the option to try each Os on the same device, even if it require a reboot or a reset would help me decide and could even show off BB10 to curious users who purchase mostly because of android but would not take the risk of a pure bb10. Including a loader would be enough for me. Simple os switch would be even better.

My thinking is that it's cheaper to do this than taking back devices because the user didn't like it and prefer the other flavor

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 06:40 PM
    Well they couldn't do it with the Venice. According to the OHA, a phone cannot be a dual-boot system. Or else they would not be allowed to have Google Services installed.
    08-25-15 06:44 PM
    Strange....despite your insults and claims to own the one and only truth, I still feel that I have no need and no interest in such a feature. What's wrong with me?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing is wrong with you at all. I personally have no need for Android. I'm quite happy with BB10 and if I want access to Android I would have bought an Android device by now.

For those who think it's a sinking ship...until the ship sinks and is done, I'm here to the end.

For those who say I'm blind to what's going on and am just a "fanboy" I say NO. It simply works for me. I welcome change in my life, but I don't need to change from BB10 to Android, I like what it does and how I use it, and how it works for ME!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    08-25-15 07:00 PM
    Like I said, there really isn't no need to have dual-boot. It's confusing for your average user. And for "there is a need", yeah...like a very, very small minority of people want it.
    "There is a need", as in, BB10 users need Android apps

08-26-15 02:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Re-read your first post. Who's the one who claims to have the one and only truth? I reacted by making the opposite statement just to prove that such assertive and non-justified statements are worthless.

08-26-15 02:24 AM
    Re-read your first post. Who's the one who claims to have the one and only truth? I reacted by making the opposite statement just to prove that such assertive and non-justified statements are worthless.

And you failed miserably, and you don't even notice.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 03:15 AM
    BlackBerry I just wanted a BlackBerry 10 phone with Google play services not the whole android thingy..how can you do this to me.??..tsk tsk tsk :'(

Posted via BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    gariac likes this.
    08-26-15 03:27 AM
    Yes, something like that. People on these forums who know more about the various ways of implementing this or something that looks/works similar could add a lot to the discussion. I think it has a lot to offer from BB's point of view. I also know from the media, that BB have helped Google with security, so I think they will not have done that without requiring some co-operation in return from Google. I saw someone discussing a hypervisor in one of the threads, as a way of achieving something similar. I think we are about to see something revolutionary out of BB. They always try to be different from the rest right?
    08-26-15 03:57 AM
    I realize that most consumers would not know what dual-boot is; and from those that know, they might not care about such a feature, but personally, a dual-boot BB10-Android is exactly what I'd like to have vs all the other Venice options speculated about on this forum.

Why (remember that this is a personal choice)?

I don't care for Android as a main-use phone. I want to use BB10, and thus far I've been able to get it to do anything I need that an Android device could do for me. But, this means patching the Android APKs that won't work on BB10, or finding similar functioning apps that can be patched. I don't mind tinkering and spending time doing the patching if it means I get to stay on BB10 platform (with android apps, of course), however, if you're on the go, and you download and install some Android app that needs patching on BB10, the app won't work. You need to get your *** to a PC to patch the app. But you are nowhere near a PC, or don't have to time to go through the process of patching right this minute.

This is where a dual-boot would come in handy. I'd boot to Android, install the app, use it for the time being. Later on, when I'm back home, I can do the patching and use the app on BB10 boot from this point on.

Situations like the above happen to me all the time, and at that time, having a temporary android for a few minutes would make things much more convenient, without having to permanently switch to An droid.

I realize that such a device will mostly likely not be produced, for many reasons, but such a device is exactly what I, personally, would like to have.
    08-26-15 05:48 AM
    Not really, but it would be interesting to see a survey with background. A yes or no plus have u used iphone/android/windows or always been on nothing but BlackBerry phone? I started with BlackBerry and used a nexus four for 1.5 years before coming back to BlackBerry. I just didn't feel at homes on kitkat nor lollipop. Still own the Nexus4 a keep it charged and updated plus can use the phone if WiFi is available. But when I used a few minutes I pine for my Passport!
    08-26-15 07:47 AM
    Why? So I can send an email, log out, reboot and then make a phone call???

Please provide a use case for a dual-boot phone? What on earth would it do better?

The only scenario I can imagine is a dual-sim, dual-boot phone. That would allow for a work phone with one phone number and a personal phone with a different ID. I can see that as useful for some folks.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 03:40 PM
    No thanks, it'd be a cool hack but no real benefit in my opinion from a productivity point of view

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 04:16 PM
    Well they couldn't do it with the Venice. According to the OHA, a phone cannot be a dual-boot system. Or else they would not be allowed to have Google Services installed.
    Really how did Samsung release a dual-boot tablet? it runs both windows and android.
    Samsung ATIV Q 13.3-inch dual-boot tablet hands-on - Android Community
    SO it is possible to have full android and BB10 on a single product with a dual boot.

Now will this happen is a different story.
    08-27-15 12:57 PM
    Really how did Samsung release a dual-boot tablet? it runs both windows and android.
    Samsung ATIV Q 13.3-inch dual-boot tablet hands-on - Android Community
    SO it is possible to have full android and BB10 on a single product with a dual boot.

Now will this happen is a different story.
    Dual Booting Android/Windows tablets/laptops canceled report says | BGR

I guess as long as it's not Windows.
    08-27-15 05:38 PM
    10 hour ago a leak suggest that you can switch to android from the trop down menu. If it's legit I would be happy happy happy.

http://m.imgur.com/wF4V3r7

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:17 PM
    Dual purpose phone would bring plenty back to Black (so go over to a buddies and his playing this new cool android game so you boot over or switch over to android play your game do your thing then when all is said and done switch back to the trusty Black).

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:18 PM
37 12