03-25-16 08:40 PM
80 1234
tools
    It was just turning stable, and could have started generating profit instead of costing money. That's how it would have helped.
    Give me a single example of an 18-month-old mobile device whose price had been lowered to firesale prices for almost a year that became stable and suddenly became in demand. You can't, because that's not at all how the marketplace works. Devices are either successful from launch (all devices sell best in their first 2 quarters) or they aren't successful.

You're wrong. The leap did not target emerging markets. The Z3 did. The leap was an entry point device in western countries, way behind all competition in terms of specs, and even so too highly priced for its specs.
    The Leap wasn't even officially available in key western markets. The Z3 lacked LTE, RAM, and was otherwise so crippled that it was discontinued almost immediately. The Leap was essentially an update that was feature-complete, and, yes, it was hoped it would sell in western markets too, but it was intended to be a "real" mid-range budget phone for most of the world.

You're inventing stuff. Chen's goal was not to go Android. Despite what people on CrackBerry want to think.
    I didn't say his goal was to go Android. In the beginning, his goal was to end the smartphone division as quickly as he could replace enough revenues with software. His problem was that growing software revenues was a much bigger challenge than he realized, especially since BES was losing so much marketshare. He didn't decide to transition the hardware business to Android until months later, but he did tell devs to focus their development efforts on Android apps almost as soon as he took the job. I absolutely am not making that up - it was being discussed here every day for 6 months.

Obviously your goal is just to contradict me. As I said before, a lot of these things I'm disappointed about had nothing to do with budget and could have been avoided. Also, even small companies with limited budgets don't let down their customers on such a huge scale.

But go on, since your goal is just to criticise and be non constructive then just keep going.
    No, my goal is to try to break through the fantasies and denials that some people are still holding on to. As I've said many times, no one is saying that BB10 isn't a good OS. It has some issues, but it's also got some clear advantages. But what matters is: the OS largely doesn't matter, because the vast majority of people don't buy smartphones for the OS, they buy them for the entire ecosystem. That includes things like apps, services, specs (SoC, camera quality, etc.), third-party accessories & integration (for example, smartwatches, home automation products, fitness trackers, etc.), quality after-sale support, and quality marketing. BB lacked all of that because the waited until the final lap of the race before they even decided if they wanted to field a race car team. By the time they finally released a product (which was woefully incomplete and buggy), the winners of the race had already gotten their trophies, had their party, and gone home.

Chen had nothing to do with that - he's like the trauma surgeon who was forced to amputate a diseased leg to save the patient's life; he did what he had to do, but he had nothing to do with the injury or disease that caused the patient to be rolled into his OR. If you are looking for someone to blame, that would be Mike Lazaridis. All the decisions that doomed BB10 were made under his watch - mostly at his insistence over the occasional disagreements of a few others. But make no mistake, BB10 was doomed before Mike bought QNX, because it was already too late to start developing a competing OS by 2010 - unless that OS could somehow do something that the mass market valued enough to give up all of the advantages of the vast ecosystems of the competition. Peak & Flow, the Hub, and PKBs didn't remotely come close - despite a "loyal" fringe market who disagree.

The costs of maintaining a whole separate smartphone ecosystem, as BB tried to do, are only sustainable if you are selling 25+M phones a year (and growing). You can't do that unless you are delivering what typical consumers (you'd call them "sheep", except they weren't sheep when they were buying BBOS in the early 2000s for some reason) value.
    Satyricrog, Uzi, JeepBB and 13 others like this.
    03-16-16 10:04 AM
    I can't wait for the opportunity to buy a new, or nearly new, Z30 for around $50.
    Keep going the way you're headed BBRY!
    JeepBB and TheBlkGuyFrmWrk like this.
    03-16-16 10:20 AM
    I wouldn't say that it's not a smartphone without those apps, for the fact that a smartphone is a phone with a operating system ,a cpu and a gpu and able to process a certain amount of info per second like a computer, apps or not it does that.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:21 AM
    Because they need support, and because they won't let down their customers as bad as BlackBerry have.

Posted via CB10
    Suuuuuuure they won't.

Just wait until the sales don't bring enough profit.

Suuuuuuuuuuure they won't.....

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    03-16-16 10:25 AM
    The Leap wasn't even officially available in key western markets. The Z3 lacked LTE, RAM, and was otherwise so crippled that it was discontinued almost immediately. The Leap was essentially an update that was feature-complete, and, yes, it was hoped it would sell in western markets too, but it was intended to be a "real" mid-range budget phone for most of the world.
    I'm sure they would have hoped for some overlap but the Z3 was targeting consumers and businesses in emerging markets while the Leap was pitched as an affordable phone for enterprise use. The devices were announced and marketed this way,

BlackBerry Introduces Stylish, 5? All-Touch BlackBerry 10 Smartphone Designed for Customers in Indonesia -

BlackBerry Introduces BlackBerry Leap for Young Mobile Professionals Who Value Security and Privacy in a Modern and Powerful Design Package -

Out of curiosity, which key markets did the Leap miss? The Z3 missed a few emerging markets IIRC and for others it was quite slow to rollout (which likely didn't help the device much considering the progress other OEM's were making in the midtier space).
    03-16-16 12:25 PM
    Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    Why? I am still using my passport and my Z10 without any issues. I will change my smartphone when it will not do enough for me.
    If anyone will change the platform it will not be a boycott, it will just be changing a tool with another one that makes the job done.

Posted via CB10
    TheBlkGuyFrmWrk likes this.
    03-16-16 12:43 PM
    Because they need support, and because they won't let down their customers as bad as BlackBerry have.

Posted via CB10
    How do you know this?
    03-16-16 02:01 PM
    I can't wait for the opportunity to buy a new, or nearly new, Z30 for around $50.
    Keep going the way you're headed BBRY!
    Yeah, I second this.
    03-16-16 02:07 PM
    The bottom line here is folks that the Blackberry corporate results are due out April 1st and that will dictate what direction the company will take. I for one are hoping they have sold a few Priv's to justify continuing down the Android path. We are only 2 1/2 weeks away, it should be interesting.
    03-16-16 02:18 PM
    "Interesting" is one word for it.

I'll consider the Priv when they add the Hub, Peek & Flow without the stupid Home button, and drop the price.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    03-16-16 04:14 PM
    I wouldn't say that it's not a smartphone without those apps, for the fact that a smartphone is a phone with a operating system ,a cpu and a gpu and able to process a certain amount of info per second like a computer, apps or not it does that.

Posted via CB10
    Not when it comes to trying to sell it as a computer. Believe me, someone tried to sell me a workstation with nothing but C compiler and a few other programs available for it. I literally laughed in their face.
    03-16-16 04:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB didn't let anyone down. People stopped buying their phones. That was clear shortly after BB10 was released.
    JeepBB and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    03-16-16 05:27 PM
    Being loyal to your family, your spouse, your friends, your nation is perfectly justifiable, but loyalty to a strictly commercial business entity like BlackBerry is hmmm, strange at best but some people actually are.
    03-16-16 06:47 PM
    I just side loaded whatsapp on my blackberry?........So whats the issue? I loaded it on my Passport from the Google store no issue or am I missing something?
    03-16-16 07:24 PM
    Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 07:27 PM
    I personally don't see a problem. Facebook is a security and privacy tread.
    This is a step in the right direction, by my opinion.
    03-17-16 12:36 AM
    Well, the camera is a security threat, go rip it out.

Connecting to mobile networks can bring you malware, leave the phone in airplane mode.
    john_v likes this.
    03-17-16 12:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    You miss one point though. Without apps, no one will buy it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 01:21 AM
    I bought every BB10 device in the market and now my entire family has blackberry BB10 device. That's been the commitment of loyalist like us. But Blackberry seem to loose it's hold rapidly which is not a good sign to the BB10 users. I think Mr. Chen is done with restructuring of Blackberry with his intentions clear moving to the Android platform and by acquisitions like Good Technology for Android and iOs. In this process he is slowly dismantling the BB10 and giving enough indications to the users that an inevitable PLAY BOOK end shall be met by BB10 soon. Well if this is the case PRIV is no exemption to see the end, when things turnaround soon for this much hyped over insanely priced device.

Posted via my favorite Passport
    03-17-16 01:30 AM
    Oh geez, you're that guy. Words fail me. Let me guess, do you not go through airports, just in case your bags get checked?

Posted via CB10
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    03-17-16 03:34 AM
    You are delusional.

Posted via CB10
    Ok. I guess I'll take your word for it. I still believe we should give smaller companies a chance, because I really don't think they'll mess up as much as BlackBerry, and because I don't want to live in a Google - Apple world.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 03:38 AM
    I'm done with the name BlackBerry. All what is left for me from it is the awesome BlackBerry 10 OS! I really wish they sell it to someone who can maintain it. Heck Apple is caring more for privacy than BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:00 AM
    Ok. I guess I'll take your word for it. I still believe we should give smaller companies a chance, because I really don't think they'll mess up as much as BlackBerry, and because I don't want to live in a Google - Apple world.
    BB is not a small company or startup. It's a large company that pretty-much ruled the pre-iPhone era, and so comprehensively mismanaged its transition to the post-iPhone world by releasing phones that few wanted, and with an OS that few developed for. It is the architect of its own downfall.
    john_v and anon(9742832) like this.
    03-17-16 04:09 AM
    No hub integration

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:13 AM
    As someone who doesn't use social media on my phone (and hardly at all elsewhere), I'm completely unaware of these issues until I come on this forum! BB10 does everything I need it to do, and the PP is still attractive to me as the form factor and hardware will help me. Gonna pick a cheap one up when I can! Been using aQ10 and Q5 for 3 years while all around me say I'm using a useless brick. Works for me! I'll stick with that until my own experience proves otherwise!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:26 AM
80 1234