With today's news that BlackBerry was going to pull the plug on facebook, I had an impression of deja vu.
    I haven't been a BlackBerry fan for long (3 years or so), but I feel I have seen this so many times already. So here's a recap.

April 2014: they pull the plug on the PlayBook. After spending a lot of time and money on it, gaining developer and the general public's support, they pull the plug on it, for no apparent reason.

Things go smoothly for a while. Bb10 comes, starts slowly but matures quickly. Users are happy, people start talking about BlackBerry a bit more. Passport impressed. Feelings go down a little with the classics low specs but not much.

Then the leap. This is the first time in a few years since John Chen came aboard that people wonder "why did they do that".

Then Android. They make it implicitly clear that they are pulling the plug on BB10.

Skype gets moved to the Amazon app store, which worries users.

Print to go goes. Again seemingly for no reason - it was their product. They didn't have to pay anyone for it. Just a server and a domain name basically.

They buy Good technologies, and boast that the Good apps are available on Android and iOS. They aren't on BlackBerry World. A joke. A joke.

BBM meetings go. Big one for businesses - it's a business product and you can't just discontinue it like that.

Then whatsapp goes. This is a really big one. Without such basic app support, people start wondering why even buy a blackberry 10 device instead of a Nokia 3310. The only thing we can do, essentially, is call and text.

Today, facebook goes. This is outrageous. How can they cut support for such basic apps.

I am usually the last person to whine because I understand they have budget limitations. But these are basic apps. It's just not a smartphone without those apps. This is plain irresponsibility towards customers. And plenty of these apps could have been kept with no impact on their budget.

I have been trying to keep a stiff upper lip and help bb10 in the ways I could. I have been loyal to the brand even when things weren't going so well. But I can't do everything. If they do such basic mistakes, I can't do anything actually.

I feel like they are toying with their users, trying to see how many crucial mistakes they can make before they die completely. One day I'll write a book about BlackBerry, and sell it in universities economy lessons. The title will be "How not to do business".

My guess is that blend, twitter, Skype, LinkedIn, docs to go and the Amazon app store also go before the end of the year. At this point, what can I do but laugh.

And this irresponsibility is what is hurting their brand and sales, more than anything else. It is because they keep letting down their customers that they have a bad reputation. People remember, except for us people on CrackBerry actually.

I hope I'll have the common sense to not cave and buy the classic and the passport. I can't justify spending that much for the equivalent of a Nokia 3310.

I won't buy a priv because I know that sooner or later, I will be let down again.

That's my ranting for the day. I'm just about through with this stupid company.

If you're considering buying a new BlackBerry, please just send me your money instead, that way it won't be wasted.

Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ChrisLeNeve; 03-15-16 at 06:41 PM.
    03-15-16 06:27 PM
    I'm not entirely sure where they're heading either. Still waiting on M and still waiting on the Vienna rumor, official announcement ... nothing. Software company?
    03-15-16 06:32 PM
    i love bb10 how it handles an how well it works but i felt like i had no choice but to get rid of my pp and classic and get something for them while i could. also simple banking apps that i use arent supported thru their own app store, so in the end it was either die suffering or get a couple of bucks for the devices before they became completely worthless.
    03-15-16 06:39 PM
    According to this poll: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...l#post12321604

... it appears BB has been able to "kid" about 40% of the people here.
    03-15-16 06:52 PM
    when i go to shopbb and see how overpriced all their phones are this comes up
    Who is BlackBerry kidding ?-lot-stupid_large.png
    pgg101, JeepBB, eldricho and 5 others like this.
    03-15-16 07:02 PM
    They are their own worst enemy.

Everyone I know who owns a BlackBerry 10 device is upset about the news the last few weeks: no whatsapp no fb. What's next?
    crackberry_geek and phuoc like this.
    03-15-16 07:33 PM
    What's next?
    Twitter, LinkedIn?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-16 07:42 PM
    Twitter, LinkedIn?
    Twitter wouldn't surprise me with blackberry's track record of supporting anything on that app.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 07:47 PM
    I'm looking at my OG Passport, and dude... what a nice device, fluid OS, keyboard which can work like trackpad, wide display for documents and web pages... and on the other side idiots who run this company and destroying it and leaving to die.

A lot of bad moves, from Playbook, poor marketing...

In the end, in the near future when they kill all f... apps which i'm using on daily basis mostly for my business i must move to other platform and to use devices which i don't like because i don't have a choice.

And no, i will not switch to the Priv, why to support company which have left users so many times...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 08:07 PM
    With today's news that BlackBerry was going to pull the plug on facebook, I had an impression of deja vu.
    I haven't been a BlackBerry fan for long (3 years or so), but I feel I have seen this so many times already. So here's a recap.

April 2014: they pull the plug on the PlayBook. After spending a lot of time and money on it, gaining developer and the general public's support, they pull the plug on it, for no apparent reason.

Things go smoothly for a while. Bb10 comes, starts slowly but matures quickly. Users are happy, people start talking about BlackBerry a bit more. Passport impressed. Feelings go down a little with the classics low specs but not much.

Then the leap. This is the first time in a few years since John Chen came aboard that people wonder "why did they do that".

Then Android. They make it implicitly clear that they are pulling the plug on BB10.

Print to go goes. Again seemingly for no reason - it was their product. They didn't have to pay anyone for it. Just a server and a domain name basically.

They buy Good technologies, and boast that the Good apps are available on Android and iOS. They aren't on BlackBerry World. A joke. A joke.

BBM meetings go. Big one for businesses - it's a business product and you can't just discontinue it like that.

Then whatsapp goes. This is a really big one. Without such basic app support, people start wondering why even buy a blackberry 10 device instead of a Nokia 3310. The only thing we can do, essentially, is call and text.

Today, facebook goes. This is outrageous. How can they cut support for such basic apps.

I am usually the last person to whine because I understand they have budget limitations. But these are basic apps. It's just not a smartphone without those apps. This is plain irresponsibility towards customers. And plenty of these apps could have been kept with no impact on their budget.

I have been trying to keep a stiff upper lip and help bb10 in the ways I could. I have been loyal to the brand even when things weren't going so well. But I can't do everything. If they do such basic mistakes, I can't do anything actually.

I feel like they are toying with their users, trying to see how many crucial mistakes they can make before they die completely. One day I'll write a book about BlackBerry, and sell it in universities economy lessons. The title will be "How not to do business".

My guess is that blend, twitter, Skype, LinkedIn, docs to go and the Amazon app store also go before the end of the year. At this point, what can I do but laugh.

And this irresponsibility is what is hurting their brand and sales, more than anything else. It is because they keep letting down their customers that they have a bad reputation. People remember, except for us people on CrackBerry actually.

I hope I'll have the common sense to not cave and buy the classic and the passport. I can't justify spending that much for the equivalent of a Nokia 3310.

I won't buy a priv because I know that sooner or later, I will be let down again.

If you're considering buying a new BlackBerry, please just send me your money instead, that way it won't be wasted.

Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    I'm done, I was considering the Priv, but they really don't give two ****s about their customers, other than money they can get now, they deserve to fail, they're unapologetic about misleading their loyal customers too. I even hear from people within the company and things aren't looking good, the culture there is gone. The company needs to get bought or fail. I'm going elsewhere, samsung seems like the best choice

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-15-16 08:15 PM
    Get a Priv

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    03-15-16 08:25 PM
    "No apparent reason"? You must be delusional, or just don't understand why people start businesses (hint: it's to make profits.) The Playbook was a complete joke when it was released, forcing a $1B write-down and for BB to firesale the majority of the production run. Then, more than 2 years later(!!!), they EOL'd it - just like virtually every manufacturer does. Why in the world would they have continued to pour money into a moneypit? How would that have helped BB?

We all know exactly "why they did that" - they were trying to make an entry/low-mid-level phone at a low (for BB) price to try to sell to their customers in emerging markets who were former/current BBOS users but were abandoning BBOS in droves in favor of entry/low-mid-level Android phones. They were also forced to continue using S4 Plus SoCs due to the high cost of paying for QNX drivers for all the hardware components - they'd already paid for the drivers for the Leap's components.

Yes, they made that pretty clear by hiring Chen. Chen telling devs to build for Android was saying this loud and clear - for those paying attention and having any ability to read between the lines. The BB BoD clearly had written off BB10 before they even hired Chen. If you remember, they had just put the company up for sale, convinced Fairfax to put in a bid to try to set a price floor, then embarrassingly got no other bids, only to have Fairfax retract their own bid. Basically, the whole smartphone world declared that BB wasn't worth anywhere near what they were asking ($9/share).

This was all just re-arranging chairs on the Titanic. The decisions had long-since been made, and once made, this type of gradual loss of support was both expected and inevitable. A bunch of us have been talking about it here for years (even before Chen was hired), and many have experienced it before, with OS/2 Warp or WebOS, to give a few examples. Are you still mad at Palm for abandoning PalmOS for your PalmPilot?

You obviously have no clue what development costs if you believe any of this drivel.

Maybe you weren't aware of the book "Losing The Signal"? This has already been done, and its been public knowledge for 5 years that BB has been in decline. Instead of being "loyal", why weren't you responsible to your own best interests by paying attention to the state of BB and weighing that with your decisions to keep buying BB products? And if you did do that, then you have no reason to complain: you knowingly bought products from a company that was in serious trouble in multiple ways, where there was always a clear and present risk that they'd abandon their product line. You took that risk and you lost. There are few "do-overs" in life.

The only people being irresponsible are those buying a product without doing any research about the product (or company) they are buying - or, I suppose, those who did the research but chose not to believe what they learned, out of some misplaced "loyalty."

Whatever you do is up to you, and whatever the consequences are will also be your responsibility.

Obviously, you've learned nothing from your entire experience. Sure, go move to another tiny niche company that's having financial difficulties and trouble delivering product to customers (who have already paid, no less!). How can you possibly go wrong there?

The contrarian tendencies run really deep in some people...
    03-15-16 08:32 PM
    You're suggesting jumping off BB10 and move to an even smaller platform with even more serious problems and equally dim future?

Why??
    JeepBB, TGR1, GadgetTravel and 2 others like this.
    03-15-16 08:44 PM
    You're suggesting jumping off BB10 and move to an even smaller platform with even more serious problems and equally dim future?

Why??
    Because they need support, and because they won't let down their customers as bad as BlackBerry have.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 02:24 AM
    I bought BlackBerry devices specifically coz of vkb. And I will still buy if the things which I do is working good. But which ever direction they are going now with bb10 seems to be freaking wrong and ugly for a customer who wants vkb abd all those basic apps. I really hope BlackBerry brings some solution to this quick. Fb and whatsapp and all those apps which are gone away or not working dint affect me till now, but fb and whatsapp removal will surely affect some of my contacts who bought BlackBerry coz of me...that too some bought during nov 2015, which is a very short time period to make a change to a new phone!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    03-16-16 02:32 AM
    I really hope BlackBerry brings either a good solution to all the apps in bb10 or give us users an easy option of changing phones at a very cost effective way.

But what I dont understand still is then why are some devs still helping bb10, making their apps and even updating some?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    03-16-16 02:34 AM
    But what I dont understand still is then why are some devs still helping bb10, making their apps and even updating some?
    Sunk cost fallacy?
    Wrec likes this.
    03-16-16 03:00 AM
    "No apparent reason"? You must be delusional, or just don't understand why people start businesses (hint: it's to make profits.) The Playbook was a complete joke when it was released, forcing a $1B write-down and for BB to firesale the majority of the production run. Then, more than 2 years later(!!!), they EOL'd it - just like virtually every manufacturer does. Why in the world would they have continued to pour money into a moneypit? How would that have helped BB?
    It was just turning stable, and could have started generating profit instead of costing money. That's how it would have helped.

We all know exactly "why they did that" - they were trying to make an entry/low-mid-level phone at a low (for BB) price to try to sell to their customers in emerging markets who were former/current BBOS users but were abandoning BBOS in droves in favor of entry/low-mid-level Android phones. They were also forced to continue using S4 Plus SoCs due to the high cost of paying for QNX drivers for all the hardware components - they'd already paid for the drivers for the Leap's components.
    You're wrong. The leap did not target emerging markets. The Z3 did. The leap was an entry point device in western countries, way behind all competition in terms of specs, and even so too highly priced for its specs.

Yes, they made that pretty clear by hiring Chen. Chen telling devs to build for Android was saying this loud and clear - for those paying attention and having any ability to read between the lines. The BB BoD clearly had written off BB10 before they even hired Chen. If you remember, they had just put the company up for sale, convinced Fairfax to put in a bid to try to set a price floor, then embarrassingly got no other bids, only to have Fairfax retract their own bid. Basically, the whole smartphone world declared that BB wasn't worth anywhere near what they were asking ($9/share).
    You're inventing stuff. Chen's goal was not to go Android. Despite what people on CrackBerry want to think.

Maybe you weren't aware of the book "Losing The Signal"? This has already been done, and its been public knowledge for 5 years that BB has been in decline. Instead of being "loyal", why weren't you responsible to your own best interests by paying attention to the state of BB and weighing that with your decisions to keep buying BB products? And if you did do that, then you have no reason to complain: you knowingly bought products from a company that was in serious trouble in multiple ways, where there was always a clear and present risk that they'd abandon their product line. You took that risk and you lost. There are few "do-overs" in life.

The only people being irresponsible are those buying a product without doing any research about the product (or company) they are buying - or, I suppose, those who did the research but chose not to believe what they learned, out of some misplaced "loyalty."

Whatever you do is up to you, and whatever the consequences are will also be your responsibility.

Obviously, you've learned nothing from your entire experience. Sure, go move to another tiny niche company that's having financial difficulties and trouble delivering product to customers (who have already paid, no less!). How can you possibly go wrong there?

The contrarian tendencies run really deep in some people...
    Obviously your goal is just to contradict me. As I said before, a lot of these things I'm disappointed about had nothing to do with budget and could have been avoided. Also, even small companies with limited budgets don't let down their customers on such a huge scale.

But go on, since your goal is just to criticise and be non constructive then just keep going.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower, Q10Bold and elfabio80 like this.
    03-16-16 03:12 AM
    As who stated this thread, I agree with what they are saying.

BlackBerry has done this time and time again. The company basically gave up when they had the chance to come back. Between delays, support, and randomly pulling the plug has finally got me.

I love my Z30 and PlayBook but I'm afraid that soon, BlackBerry 10 OS will meet the same fate because BlackBerry just doesn't care about its fan base and worried solely about what they can do on Android. Honestly, people who bought BlackBerry products and used their services help the company and brand, but look at it now.

Slowly discontinuing services and vital applications that most BlackBerry users rely on are being taken away. Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube are the main ones to go in over the past year. Sure you could say BlackBerry is limited with all of the job cuts and making constant losses they couldn't of done much, but they could have taken that extra step.

I know this is pointless ranting but I am a BlackBerry diehard. My point is that we as the fan base and user base should respond with what is happening and what BlackBerry is doing to its customers. Companies like BlackBerry are only concerned now what their quarterly results are but are under budget restrictions, they should at least value their customers is all I ask but it's BlackBerry after all, repeats the same mistakes over and over again.

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman likes this.
    03-16-16 03:52 AM
    Software company?
    This.
    03-16-16 03:56 AM
    It was just turning stable, and could have started generating profit instead of costing money. That's how it would have helped.

You're wrong. The leap did not target emerging markets. The Z3 did. The leap was an entry point device in western countries, way behind all competition in terms of specs, and even so too highly priced for its specs.

You're inventing stuff. Chen's goal was not to go Android. Despite what people on CrackBerry want to think.

Obviously your goal is just to contradict me. As I said before, a lot of these things I'm disappointed about had nothing to do with budget and could have been avoided. Also, even small companies with limited budgets don't let down their customers on such a huge scale.

But go on, since your goal is just to criticise and be non constructive then just keep going.

Posted via CB10
    You are spot on sir.

But you are challenging people who are only here because this is the only place in their lives where they have a hope of people listening.

When you get kicked by a mule... just considere the source and forget it.
    03-16-16 04:00 AM
    As who stated this thread, I agree with what they are saying.

BlackBerry has done this time and time again. The company basically gave up when they had the chance to come back. Between delays, support, and randomly pulling the plug has finally got me.

I love my Z30 and PlayBook but I'm afraid that soon, BlackBerry 10 OS will meet the same fate because BlackBerry just doesn't care about its fan base and worried solely about what they can do on Android. Honestly,

Slowly discontinuing services and vital applications that most BlackBerry users rely on are being taken away. Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube are the main ones to go in over the past year. Sure you could say BlackBerry is limited with all of the job cuts and making constant losses they couldn't of done much, but they could have taken that extra step.

I know this is pointless ranting but I am a BlackBerry diehard. My point is that we as the fan base and user base should respond with what is happening and what BlackBerry is doing to its customers. Companies like BlackBerry are only concerned now what their quarterly results are but are under budget restrictions, they should at least value their customers is all I ask but it's BlackBerry after all, repeats the same mistakes over and over again.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agreed but the CEO won't come out and give direct answers all he knows is ' security and privacy ' '2 updates on bb10 '

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 04:13 AM
    100% right OP!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 04:16 AM
    Because they need support, and because they won't let down their customers as bad as BlackBerry have.

Posted via CB10
    Famous last words, especially since there are plenty of people who PAID for Jolla products who have all but been told: 'Sorry, we can't fulfill your order'.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 06:00 AM
    I think they're just trying to keep themselves a company at this point, and software is the way to do it. One major problem is BlackBerry user (myself included) are stubborn. "I love my Bold and refuse to switch". How is that helping a company, buying a 5,6 year old phone, and nothing else? They're just going to have to phase out BB10 phones, because it's too far gone to save the os. They sold less than 1 million phones last year. No matter how awesome bb10 is (was), people don't wanna learn it and switch. They want a supported phone and os, and Droid and iOS do that. Regular updates, app and accessory support and most importantly public knowledge. And right are wrong, people are happy with their phones. Why would they switch? I used to be happy with BlackBerry but it's at the point it's making my life harder to use an abandoned platform then it would be to switch. I think i'm gonna go with the Priv, because of the keyboard and to soften the blow to Droid, but I have no illusions about the fact this will probably be my last BlackBerry phone. Wish they coulda held it together, but there's no reason to suffer with subpar service and lie to myself. I refuse to **** in my own ear, and convince myself it's raining.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    03-16-16 09:59 AM
80 123 ...