Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    What if you gave a Boycott and no one came? No one noticed because they were too busy with Facebook, Instagram, and Clash of Clans, and WhatsApp on other platforms? Would anyone notice?

BlackBerry phones are still functional. If you like the way they work, you still should. You can still use the Web, as the builders intended, even though apps are disappearing like checks at a political rally. You just have to decide for yourself, and "vote" your phone conscience.

At the end of the day, the question has probably only affected the person you see in the mirror.
    acovey likes this.
    03-17-16 04:48 AM
    If discontinuing support for Facebook is the straw that broke the camel's back and started this discussion, then there are more serious issues than Blackberry's business decisions afoot.
    john_v likes this.
    03-17-16 08:12 AM
    So what FB is gone, we have Face10. Whatsapp is going, I'm working on a client. There will always be a way, but once I can no longer continue using my passport I will not pay for Android or IOS as I don't like the idea of a two phone system.

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and acovey like this.
    03-17-16 08:40 AM
    I have a few friends still on BB10, like the OS, but are not on these forums nor are they tech savvy, wait till they update their Facebook app, I will be getting a call, and I can assure you, they will get rid of their device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-17-16 08:42 AM
    I gave up on BlackBerry after I saw what kind of a joke headset they released with the Priv. The quality is abysmal, it runs like crap, keyboard is amateur, and they priced it like an iPhone. No thank you. You too should have left a while back. I don't know why you were thinking that things would be any different for BlackBerry 10 holdouts.
    03-17-16 08:48 AM

Guys, what shall we do? Should we all boycott BlackBerry and use our money on another small platform, like Jolla ?

Posted via CB10
    Do what makes you the most happy. If you are in a market that supports Jolla (or more specifically, if you are in a market that is supported by Jolla--meaning; not in the U.S.) then go for it.

The market has already spoken; the boycott of BlackBerry has been ongoing for what, five years now? As far as BB10 is concerned, honestly, I do not believe that BlackBerry really cares about the consumer market here. Their goal is to ride government and corporate contracts for as long as possible--not to keep the handful of BB10 consumer loyalists happy.

You know, it's funny: BB10ers love to describe iOS and Android users as "sheep" yet here you are asking the question of what should we do and where should we next go, as a group. You are not the only one who posts this same question: talk about following/leading the herd.

The bottom line here is folks that the Blackberry corporate results are due out April 1st and that will dictate what direction the company will take. I for one are hoping they have sold a few Priv's to justify continuing down the Android path. We are only 2 1/2 weeks away, it should be interesting.
    April 1st. I'll bet that no matter what is reported or said, it will be treated as a joke.

Ok. I guess I'll take your word for it. I still believe we should give smaller companies a chance, because I really don't think they'll mess up as much as BlackBerry, and because I don't want to live in a Google - Apple world.

Posted via CB10
    I will always support the smaller brand if and only if I like their product. From my perspective with Priv I am more so a supporter of BlackBerry than I am of Google here as I have disabled and removed all Google apps other than Play. If Priv turns out to be the last BlackBerry device ever, then so be it. Not sure what I will do if it comes to this but I can say with certainty that I am not interested in any other Androids as of right now.

There is no avoiding living in a Google/Apple world. Whether you choose to take part or not is up to you. The ultimate irony here is that many CrackBerry users have installed Play onto their BB10s... They want the Google apps but not the Google. Go figure.

I gave up on BlackBerry after I saw what kind of a joke headset they released with the Priv. The quality is abysmal, it runs like crap, keyboard is amateur, and they priced it like an iPhone. No thank you. You too should have left a while back. I don't know why you were thinking that things would be any different for BlackBerry 10 holdouts.
    While you are most certainly entitled to your own opinion, I respectfully disagree. And this is coming from someone who just two months ago would have choked myself out for being so stupid if I went back in time and told myself how much I would love Priv.

I used to be amongst the BB10 loyal. Now, I am glad to have expanded my horizon.
    john_v likes this.
    03-17-16 10:57 AM
    ...and many have experienced it before, with OS/2 Warp or WebOS, to give a few examples. Are you still mad at Palm for abandoning PalmOS for your PalmPilot?...
    Geez, Troy, thanks for not warning me before you ripped that bandaid off...I was just starting to get over that!

That Treo 650 was something else.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-17-16 01:34 PM
    So much win, wit, and wisdom

You know, it's funny: BB10ers love to describe iOS and Android users as "sheep" yet here you are asking the question of what should we do and where should we next go, as a group. You are not the only one who posts this same question: talk about following/leading the herd.

There is no avoiding living in a Google/Apple world. Whether you choose to take part or not is up to you. The ultimate irony here is that many CrackBerry users have installed Play onto their BB10s... They want the Google apps but not the Google. Go figure.
    What if you gave a Boycott and no one came? No one noticed because they were too busy with Facebook, Instagram, and Clash of Clans, and WhatsApp on other platforms? Would anyone notice?
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-17-16 01:47 PM
    I'm not entirely sure where they're heading either. Still waiting on M and still waiting on the Vienna rumor, official announcement ... nothing. Software company?
    You're not sure? Seriously? What do you need to convince you? BB is not gonna make a statement saying they are done. They are going to fade away. Just the way they are doing it now. Baby steps till nothing is left.
    03-17-16 02:05 PM
    They are their own worst enemy.

Everyone I know who owns a BlackBerry 10 device is upset about the news the last few weeks: no whatsapp no fb. What's next?
    Whats next? Thats easy, New platform. Problem solved
    03-17-16 02:07 PM
    Blackberry seems to be a solid company a few months ago, now it is only ****!

I was so stupid and trusted Chen during January, as he promised OS10 is not dead and the software will be still maintained. Now, I am glad to have switched the Q10 for a PP SE, but the occuring news regarding facebook and whatsapp are really a dealbreaker and you hear nothing from BlackBerry. I ask me, how they will survive on the market, when you can give simply a **** on them.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 04:51 PM
    Only to people who believe PR to be the literal truth and refuse to read between the lines. I can't even count the number of posts that state that John Chen has reiterated his support for BB10.

Also, it's popular to say that you don't use a particular discontinued app so you don't care - until you do.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-17-16 05:31 PM
    I avoided all that and just went back to a 9900 after using iphone for 2 years. After reading what I have about all the Malware associated with Android and security holes, I will go back to iphone later this year. I'm squeezing everything I can out of this epic physical keyboard and I doubt I will wear it out, as well as the pod charger and extra batteries I bought for it.

........but with Whatsapp and the FB app given a death date, I will still look for ways to use Blackberry as long as I can, and have.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-17-16 at 06:15 PM.
    acovey likes this.
    03-17-16 05:50 PM
    BB10 phones will remain functional until 2050, if all you need is offline smartphone functionality. It's when you use online services and APIs that you need constant updates - if Facebook or WhatsApp upgrade their API and your client can't accomodate those changes, then you're out of luck. It's even more galling that the FB app was made by BB and they've decided to stop in-house app development.

As for Jollla... they got a load of funding on Kickstarter for their tablet and managed to ship out a few hundred units before killing the project. The company itself is on its last legs, with no one wanting to license their Sailfish platform and no new devices planned.
    03-17-16 10:30 PM
    Get a Priv

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    Rather get a rash.
    03-17-16 10:48 PM
    As for Jollla... they got a load of funding on Kickstarter for their tablet and managed to ship out a few hundred units before killing the project. The company itself is on its last legs, with no one wanting to license their Sailfish platform and no new devices planned.
    Jolla's Sailfish is licensed on Intex and the Turing phone. I have to say once my PP apps will stop working with no work around I will switch to a sailfish device.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 04:02 AM
    Jolla's Sailfish is licensed on Intex and the Turing phone. I have to say once my PP apps will stop working with no work around I will switch to a sailfish device.

Posted via CB10
    So it's still used by essentially no one.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 06:53 AM
    So it's still used by essentially no one.

Posted via CB10
    For now but it still is better then Andriod and IOS. Also Andriod apps are better integrated then on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 06:59 AM
    The rant that the author just engaged in is of amazement to me.

The reason why I say this for I had the same rant about 3 years when Blackberry did some foolishness that royally pissed me and in my anger I walked away from my computer, threw by Bold 9900 aside and purchased a Samsung S4. I remember being blasted by some users, but hey, at that point I had had it with Blackberry.

I felt that I was doing more in promoting the brand to my friends and family, and just when I thought I had them in either purchase a blackberry, or switch to a blackberry, the company would do something to knock the wind out of the sails of the company.

It was either some form of delay, or a poor product that lacked app support or some crap.

At the end of my rant, about 3 years ago, I vowed that I'd return to Blackberry IF the company got its act together and produced a grate product.

Seems that we're still at the same place when I made my rant and it seems that no one at Blackberry knows that to do anymore.

I'm blown away as to why this haemorrhaging continues. Every other smart phone company can figure out what the public needs and work towards it. Why blackberry can't figure it out is beyond me.

I wish the company the very best, and I still hold that I'll be back on the platform, when they begin to live in the real world and get the business done to bring me back.
    03-18-16 01:53 PM
    I'm blown away as to why this haemorrhaging continues. Every other smart phone company can figure out what the public needs and work towards it. Why blackberry can't figure it out is beyond me.
    As crazy as it is to say this, the problem is quite simple: BB's smartphone business was completely built around a business model that only works when there is minimal competition in the market. BB's focus on security and (to a much lesser degree) privacy means that they can't take advantage of ads to help pay for some of the costs of operating the platform. It also means developers can't use ads to offer great apps at low or no direct cost to users.

The problem is that when the competition CAN do those things, the vast majority of people will vote with their wallets - yes, even when they know their data is being used to target the advertising they see. As hard as it is to believe, most people are totally okay with that.

Further, most of BB's real advantages were their solutions to 2G networking limitations and mobile email. Obviously, those are no longer problems that exist in most markets. BB also made the best PKB, but most people today much prefer screen real estate over PKBs. And even among businesses, almost anyone who didn't need BES dropped it once IMAP push email became widely available.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, BB never made third-party developers a priority - Mike clearly only gave them support grudgingly - and once modern phone platforms existed that could use apps to do things far beyond the imaginations of BB's internal developers, BB simply couldn't cope.

BB needed a now-archaic business environment to prosper in: one in which push email was unique, BIS data compression was needed (because of 2G networks), people were happy with tiny screens because apps and media weren't common or easy to use, and where there were few apps that could extend the usefulness of the device beyond email and messaging.

Mike Lazaridis never really considered a world where those things wouldn't be the most important criteria to users. He certainly never envisioned desktop-quality web browsing or powerful apps on smartphones, and so he invested almost nothing in making sure BB had solutions to those desires.

If Mike had been in business in 1920, he'd be a horse salesman stomping up and down and trying over and over to explain to car buyers that they really wanted a horse, and that this whole automobile thing was just a passing fad...
    rthonpm and anon(9803228) like this.
    03-18-16 04:55 PM
    I have never seen a company commit suicide in such a way. It is like a troll seeing a more agile creature shadow boxing, then trying to shadow box with itself, lumbering around and clumsily punching rocks and walls whilst breaking chunks off itself until there is nothing left.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 05:53 PM

I was so stupid and trusted Chen during January, as he promised OS10 is not dead and the software will be still maintained. Now, I am glad to have switched the Q10 for a PP SE, but the occuring news regarding facebook and whatsapp are really a dealbreaker and you hear nothing from BlackBerry. I ask me, how they will survive on the market, when you can give simply a **** on them.

Posted via CB10
    It hasn't been "solid" for years. Since BB10 came out late and didn't sell enough.
    03-18-16 10:38 PM
    This Facebook change came up with no warning. I "updated" and found the app no longer has hub connectivity and now is a weak web version only.

What gives? Can you "roll back" the "upgrade"? I haven't done a What'sApp upgrade but gather something similar would happen if I did.

Why do they tamper with working apps and alienate more people if not to drive people from BB 10 to Android for their own restructuring purposes?
    Last edited by rfin16; 03-19-16 at 11:31 AM.
    03-19-16 11:03 AM
    This Facebook change came up with no warning. I "updated" and found the app no longer has hub connectivity and now is a weak web version only.

What gives? Can you "roll back" the "upgrade"? I haven't done a What'sApp upgrade but gather something similar would happen if I did.

Why do they tamper with working apps and alienate more people if not to drive people from BB 10 to Android for their own restructuring purposes?
    Because Facebook will turn that working app into a non-working app in about a week and a half regardless what BlackBerry does?

It's either push this "update" now and preserve some level of Facebook access or not do anything, wait for March 31st to pass and get inundated with "my Facebook doesn't work" complaints.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-19-16 07:07 PM
    Because Facebook will turn that working app into a non-working app in about a week and a half regardless what BlackBerry does?

It's either push this "update" now and preserve some level of Facebook access or not do anything, wait for March 31st to pass and get inundated with "my Facebook doesn't work" complaints.
    I did that shortcut update and then wiped it to put the older version of the app back on. I hope I didnt wipe my chances to at least have the Icon on my homescreen next month? Either way I'll just go through Bookmarks if I have to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-19-16 07:15 PM
80 1234