After watching the CMO videos I now understand that RIM justs want to be the 3rd option brand. If you can't afford an IOS device and you can't use Android because of the security issues then get a blackberry10 device. It's obvious that RIM justs want to transfer the 80 million subscribers they have to bb10 and chill...

They are not at all interested at becoming the #1 mobile OS because that marketing strategy requires a much more aggressive action plan. A tad bit disappointing but atleast they'll survive.
    They do not want to just be the 3rd choice, but they do need to stabilise that position before their sights can go higher and mindlessly chucking money to advertise something in a vague way so that they do not spoil their own launch is not a good use of their money that is better spent in parallel to the coverage and reviews they get after the launch.
    01-19-13 08:33 PM
    Frank Boulben is eminently more qualified to launch this product than all of us put together.
    01-19-13 08:46 PM
    Frank Boulben is eminently more qualified to launch this product than all of us put together.
    It will defiantly be go time for himself very soon.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 10:52 PM
    I hear ya...

But its all starting to seem like RIM as usual: Put out a product with no marketing support what so ever and call it genius "word of mouth" advertising. That didn't work for the playbook and it's not gonna work here either. They've got to get ahead of their own narrative instead of waiting for the public to write it for them. I mean damn its simple to me..... People want YOU to convince them! Tell me why this is the greatest device that's ever been created and why I should **** on my iPhone right now! Isn't that's what everybody else is doing? Oh.. RIM is also "reinventing" marketing... Man please.

Jan 30th:

bloggers: This device is awesome RIM may have hit it out the park.
    Joe blow: .......
    Bloggers: (couple weeks later) really surprised by this new bb10 its very new and refreshing
    Joe Blow: .. Huh..
    Bloggers: (month or two later) These bb10 devises are rolling out but sales aren't that impressive. I GUESS WE CAN SAY BB10 HAS FAILED AND RIMM IS DEAD! WE TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK!!!!!!

Get ahead of the narrative RIM!
    You cant market a product if you cant show it. Sighhhh.....get over it. The public marketing will start on the 30th, the expert marketing is already successful and ensure sales to that targeted public
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    01-20-13 03:01 AM
    It will defiantly be go time for himself very soon.
    I suspect the man has been "going" b*lls to the wall for a while now....in fact, I suspect that he is on cruise control, (at full throttle mind you) but we just haven't seen the visible tangible results yet. Remember, the Saturn V rocket burned 80% of its fuel before it even cleared the launch pad. The other 20% got men to the moon and back.....
    01-20-13 03:02 AM
    I suspect the man has been "going" b*lls to the wall for a while now....in fact, I suspect that he is on cruise control, (at full throttle mind you) but we just haven't seen the visible tangible results yet. Remember, the Saturn V rocket burned 80% of its fuel before it even cleared the launch pad. The other 20% got men to the moon and back.....
    I like that analogy a lot, actually. Obviously, the launch is where we'll see the most visible results, but the truth is that we've been well past the point of no return for months now. They've already expended most of the required effort for the BB10 launch.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-20-13 04:38 AM
    By go time I meant when his work will be shown to the public, not that he will have to start working harder soon.
    01-20-13 08:56 AM
    Well said.

Thanks
    01-20-13 09:45 AM
    @Koolwater: I was thinking the same exact thing. We are two weeks out, and I haven't seen a thing on TV. I was initially attributing it to living in Baltimore and not having cable television. But I had to have a heart to heart with myself this afternoon, and I hope I'm wrong. The reason I think there is no advertising as of yet, is because the launch event ain't really giving us much. The major network carriers here in the US might not be releasing the phone until March. This would give RIM & US Carriers 30 approx. days (1/30- 2/28) to begin a true marketing campaign. I hate to say it, but I almost feel as if we are being toyed with. We were given a count-down so that we could begin counting down again- such a cruel joke for people who have waited so long.
    I know it seems like I'm being negative, but think about it. This is RIMs big product that has to be dropped officially and in a big way. What sense does it make to start pushing it heavily 5days before the Launch event if the phone wont be coming out for another 30days after that. We will get a launch event, then commercials, then finally be able to buy. This is breaking my heart to think about. For example, there are movies coming out this Summer (2013) that although not even fully edited are being advertised- our phone is coming out in 11 +/- but we can't get one REAL commercial?! I think RIM is making a mistake by having us wait another 30 days after the Launch event. I really really hope I'm wrong, but I almost feel it in my gut; plus I know the kind of bad luck I tend to have with **** that I'm really looking forward to.

@howarmat, are there a link to any of these TV commercials? What country, region have they aired in? I would expect that somebody at work would have seen one and relayed it to me already since I'm the Paul Revere of Blackberry at my job. I've only been told about an advertisement by one individual, and that was the WSJ print add page. I would love to see something.

@Linqed, 5 days prior is just not enough time if you ask me. A smartphone is not an easy $25 dollar investment for people who are not big fans of BB. If I had no reason to switch, you're not going to convince me 5days before the launch that your product is worth me considering leaving my platform for. BB has such a bad reputation, people who've never used a BB say so much negative about it- it's going to take a steady blitzkrieg of advertisements, testimonials, endorsements to make people even sit through the commercials.

RIM is wasting an opportunity with the TV marketing by not having multiple commercials out. The iphone commercials are down right stupid now, they dont bring anything to the table; just stupid things that are assumed about any phone. Samsung has really done a good job of telling us exactly why their phone is 'better' purchase than iphone with their commercials; easily best mobile commercials on tv in the US. Even WP7/8 has commercials that at the very least are fun to watch (I haven't seen a person with a WP yet out in the wild). Shyt, even jitterbug has commercials out here.

I've begun another countdown in my head about the phone not coming out until apprx March 1st. I've even deleted the countdown app from my phone because I dont want the let down to be too hard. I would advise some of you to do the same, if you are anything like me. I know how excited I get and trusting I am. I don't want the heartache of having to wait another 30 days. This wait has been so difficult thus far. Obviously I wouldnt' jump ship because I've made it this far- but it would be awfully hard for me to trust RIM in the future. Sorry for the long ramble.

Cant' wait to see the accessories they have available for my Lseries
    Wow that sounded depressing. I think your getting too worked up. We don't know how long it will be to the product itself is released but I would say that it won't be 30 days everywhere if at all. And what advertising do you want them to do? They will have a global launch and then they can talk about features to the world. Until then it would just be an ad talking about the second coming of BlackBerry.

The OP said that he needs to explain the hash tags. A lot of people wrote BB off. There is no way around that right now. I was talking to a ex BB fan on Friday. She is trying to get my friend to switch to an iphone from BB. She said that Rim is dead and so on. She was a fan and hated BB until she switched for some reason. A few days later she was fine with the phone. I don't even think she realizes that the new phone is nothing like the BlackBerry she used. You can talk until your blue in the face but they are not going to listen. It needs to be released before they will hear anything.

Also I heard that the carriers have a shipment commitment. So you will have ads from each of them. You should also have them trying to sell a BlackBerry for the first time in a long time. Ads will come out. Tv ads would be a bit of a waste right now.

Keep your head up. The phones will be out at some point. Put the countdown app back on and just remember that its the countdown the the global launch and not the release day. We will find out then when we will get it.

James
    01-20-13 12:13 PM
    Have you seen a television ad? Newspapers, I have to tell you are almost dead. Tv pushes the product right in your face. Use a louder (volume)commercial for the ad and it becomes even more memorable. Waiting, as the saying goes is for losers.
    Rim is in the paper all the time. I have noticed them in there more then a few times and I not a big news paper reader. Some is just on BB10 and a lot is on the stock price. They are in there and there is info on the BB10 phone. No I didn't see any ads but they will come.

James
    01-20-13 12:52 PM
    if they have their act together, in the U.S. @ least, they SHOULD bring out the big guns TODAY during the playoffs,,, it's 10 days off & time to get it on,,, if there's no ad time there they may be blowing it,,, the opportunity to get MILLIONS of eyes on BB10 is staring you in the face, literally...
    01-20-13 01:24 PM
    I know lots of people outside CrackBerry who know about this phone...
    I can't say "lots" personally, but definitely on more than one occassion after I've mentioned the new BB, people have said something to the effect of "yeah i heard it's supposed to be pretty good".. And these are not even my 'tech-saavy' friends who i would expect to know about it. So it's getting out there slowly but surely..

I have seen several inet ads, and right now the blogs and market watch sites are really doing the heavy lifting for them ahead of their official marketing plan, which is nice.. After the 30th, I expect that to flip. And to those early posters complaining that you cant convince ppl in 5 days. I dont think they're trying to do that. The phones aren't going to be available that day so they have a few weeks to get the message out. No one ever said the countdown to the 30th wasnt going to lead to another period of waiting before getting the phones. That's expected, this initial countdown is def for the enthusiasts like Crackberry cuz we already know about it and will wait however long it takes but to the avg user it was just announced on the 30th so there's only one waiting period. Which may be partly why they haven't done heavier (widespread tv) ads yet. It will still be exciting that we (and the rest of the world) will know exactly what we're going to be working with and when.

That said, like seawarrior said, i would consider today in the playoffs "an opportunity" to drop a limited ad just showing off the basic features they have already touted (peak and flow, hub, camera) and maybe some of the ui gestures and end it with "the revolution is coming soon"... Not that i think it's absolutely necessary but at this point they probly want to be doing more than just the bare minimum to assure success. So I don't have a prob with not doing mass tv ads up to this point but a few ads during what will surely be the most watched content of the weekend is not a bad idea.
    Last edited by NinjaB; 01-20-13 at 02:12 PM.
    01-20-13 01:53 PM
    I'm a middle school teacher and all of my kids often talk about phones, gadgets, apps, websites, etc...you know, typical teenage stuff....and I can tell you that, TWO YEARS later, not one of my students had ever heard of a Playbook until I started bringing my to class....when they mess with it, they LOVE it.....just one problem....you have to KNOW SOMETHING EXISTS before you can love it. I'm hopeful for Frank Boulben and crew....but the team before him? Total failures that should never again be allowed to hold a position in any marketing capacity whatsoever....period
    01-20-13 02:04 PM
    Dday: January 30th...

We're two weeks out...

1) No television ads
    2) No Major Network interviews
    3) Step away from this Site and People still don't know about it.

I shouldn't have to explain my #bb10, #jan30 tags to anyone, but average Joes are clueless about this "big announcement". I thought there was supposed to be some awesome advertising campaign. WHERE THE **** IS IT?
    Advertising is just one component of marketing. "Marketing" involves the development of the product. Building a product that can be advertised to consumers in a way that gets them excited is a big part of marketing. Keeping things fairly quiet until the big launch is a strategic component of marketing. It builds excitement which in turn adds punch to the launch.

Marketing is a strategy. Advertising is just the fluff you see on TV.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-20-13 02:10 PM
    I've seen one small stand-up ad at a Wireless wave booth, but not much else here in Canada. It looks like what you see on the BB homepage, actually.
    01-20-13 04:04 PM
    Advertising is just one component of marketing. "Marketing" involves the development of the product. Building a product that can be advertised to consumers in a way that gets them excited is a big part of marketing. Keeping things fairly quiet until the big launch is a strategic component of marketing. It builds excitement which in turn adds punch to the launch.

Marketing is a strategy. Advertising is just the fluff you see on TV.
    That fluff you see on TV (actually you don't see it on TV) is what's going to make or break BB at this point. I've said it over and over on here, if BB relies on in store salesman and in store demos to sell their products then they 100% done and will be non existent within 1-2 years.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-20-13 04:20 PM
    All kidding aside for the moment, the BlackBerry Marketing Team will have the opportunity to prove itself in barely over a week with the kick-off of BlackBerry 10. We'll know whether Frank Boulben's marketing qualifications translate into marketing delivery and consequently product sales.
    01-20-13 04:36 PM
    That fluff you see on TV (actually you don't see it on TV) is what's going to make or break BB at this point. I've said it over and over on here, if BB relies on in store salesman and in store demos to sell their products then they 100% done and will be non existent within 1-2 years.
    Any rational thinking person agrees with this statement. Unfortunately, this forum is overrun by vapid fanbois and cheerleaders unable to accept the reality of dangerous waters ahead as end-users and reviewers get their hands on a BlackBerry smartphone during the coming two quarters. The only guarantees in life are death (inevitable) and taxes (governments will never reduce tax rates to zero); the success or failure of BlackBerry 10 remains uncertain. Waiting for my BlackBerry Z10.
    01-20-13 04:41 PM
    Just thinking hypothetically here... what exactly do those of you who demand advertising right now expect to see in the add? Someone holding A phone? Someone using cool features of A phone? A BlackBerry logo on said phone?

Bear these in mind before you answer... 1) the phone is not yet launched and therefore while we have leaked photos, that isn't an excuse for RIM to blow the cover off it before they say anything about it; 2) we only know barely even a handful of the best features of these phones as RIM is holding stuff fairly tightly to itself still; 3) Every carrier has some form of a return policy, even on contracts . Also bear in mind that, to be honest, there may be many reps who have not completed training for answering questions about BlackBerry 10, and may even be so disinterested in anything BlackBerry that they will refuse to even look at anything that says BlackBerry on it until they have their own hands-on experience with the device.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have an add or two, but let's face it... before WE know EVERYTHING there is to know about the device... why would RIM risk putting any new cards on the table in an add, and risk letting some of the big announcements slip? I'm more than certain we will see adds, but it will more than likely be after all the US carriers confirm that the bulk of their staff have completed mandatory training on the device(s) and are ready to either field questions (trust me, there will be questions), take pre-orders, or tell someone when they can come play with the phone in person. Up here in Canada, only Rogers, FutureShop, Best Buy, and I think Wireless Wave and TBooth are taking pre-orders, and the big carriers all have something on the front page of their sites.

In other words... patience.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    01-20-13 05:37 PM
    Any rational thinking person agrees with this statement. Unfortunately, this forum is overrun by vapid fanbois and cheerleaders unable to accept the reality of dangerous waters ahead as end-users and reviewers get their hands on a BlackBerry smartphone during the coming two quarters.
    Nice to see you not resorting to insults when people put forward rational points that you disagree with.

If they do not advertise heavily on tv etc. after the launch then people would have a reason to complain, but to whine about a lack of tv adverts that would be able to show nothing much prior to that launch just comes across as naive or clueless.
    01-20-13 05:50 PM
    I wonder if they will have a Superbowl commercial.
    01-20-13 06:06 PM
    I wonder if they will have a Superbowl commercial.
    I'm not sure its the best way to spend marketing dollars. its a lot of money for short message. I prefer more commercials in other places.
    01-20-13 06:11 PM
    I'm not sure its the best way to spend marketing dollars. its a lot of money for short message. I prefer more commercials in other places.
    To be fair to it, a super bowl advert would at least be a better use of money than these whines about them not advertising during this week's nfl games which might be a month or more ahead of a launch in the states.
    01-20-13 06:40 PM
    It would be nice If they did some marketing for the SuperBowl because that will be a BIIIG game and a Lot of people will be watching it. A short advertisement of BB10 would be perfect because it will get people (outside of CrackBerry) to see BlackBerry is Back .
    01-20-13 06:53 PM
    I think they may very well do that and it would be money well spent. Maybe that's why they're announcing 4 days before the big game.

Unfortunately, RIM is not included on any of the advertiser lists I've been reading out there.
    That is not good news, maybe they asked to be omitted from any public list so its a surprise, if that is at all possible.
    01-20-13 11:47 PM
113 ... 2345