Dday: January 30th...

We're two weeks out...

1) No television ads
    2) No Major Network interviews
    3) Step away from this Site and People still don't know about it.

I shouldn't have to explain my #bb10, #jan30 tags to anyone, but average Joes are clueless about this "big announcement". I thought there was supposed to be some awesome advertising campaign. WHERE THE **** IS IT?
    Admorris and SassyD like this.
    01-18-13 11:18 PM
    i think you must have missed it...i have TV ads and many interviews and demos. They have ads on webpages and such also. remember there isnt anything they can really say until after the 30th. give it time
    01-18-13 11:22 PM
    So far there has been a rather large amount of web/social advertising which is continuing to ramp up day by day. I would not expect any major amount of TV ads till about 5 days before the launch event - it's possible even that they're saving the majority of the TV work till after the launch, and also will vary the timing dependent on the release schedule in different regions. I don't think we've got anything to be worried about, it seems extremely planned out.
    01-18-13 11:37 PM
    @Koolwater: I was thinking the same exact thing. We are two weeks out, and I haven't seen a thing on TV. I was initially attributing it to living in Baltimore and not having cable television. But I had to have a heart to heart with myself this afternoon, and I hope I'm wrong. The reason I think there is no advertising as of yet, is because the launch event ain't really giving us much. The major network carriers here in the US might not be releasing the phone until March. This would give RIM & US Carriers 30 approx. days (1/30- 2/28) to begin a true marketing campaign. I hate to say it, but I almost feel as if we are being toyed with. We were given a count-down so that we could begin counting down again- such a cruel joke for people who have waited so long.
    I know it seems like I'm being negative, but think about it. This is RIMs big product that has to be dropped officially and in a big way. What sense does it make to start pushing it heavily 5days before the Launch event if the phone wont be coming out for another 30days after that. We will get a launch event, then commercials, then finally be able to buy. This is breaking my heart to think about. For example, there are movies coming out this Summer (2013) that although not even fully edited are being advertised- our phone is coming out in 11 +/- but we can't get one REAL commercial?! I think RIM is making a mistake by having us wait another 30 days after the Launch event. I really really hope I'm wrong, but I almost feel it in my gut; plus I know the kind of bad luck I tend to have with **** that I'm really looking forward to.

@howarmat, are there a link to any of these TV commercials? What country, region have they aired in? I would expect that somebody at work would have seen one and relayed it to me already since I'm the Paul Revere of Blackberry at my job. I've only been told about an advertisement by one individual, and that was the WSJ print add page. I would love to see something.

@Linqed, 5 days prior is just not enough time if you ask me. A smartphone is not an easy $25 dollar investment for people who are not big fans of BB. If I had no reason to switch, you're not going to convince me 5days before the launch that your product is worth me considering leaving my platform for. BB has such a bad reputation, people who've never used a BB say so much negative about it- it's going to take a steady blitzkrieg of advertisements, testimonials, endorsements to make people even sit through the commercials.

RIM is wasting an opportunity with the TV marketing by not having multiple commercials out. The iphone commercials are down right stupid now, they dont bring anything to the table; just stupid things that are assumed about any phone. Samsung has really done a good job of telling us exactly why their phone is 'better' purchase than iphone with their commercials; easily best mobile commercials on tv in the US. Even WP7/8 has commercials that at the very least are fun to watch (I haven't seen a person with a WP yet out in the wild). Shyt, even jitterbug has commercials out here.

I've begun another countdown in my head about the phone not coming out until apprx March 1st. I've even deleted the countdown app from my phone because I dont want the let down to be too hard. I would advise some of you to do the same, if you are anything like me. I know how excited I get and trusting I am. I don't want the heartache of having to wait another 30 days. This wait has been so difficult thus far. Obviously I wouldnt' jump ship because I've made it this far- but it would be awfully hard for me to trust RIM in the future. Sorry for the long ramble.

Cant' wait to see the accessories they have available for my Lseries
    Admorris likes this.
    01-19-13 12:02 AM
    01-19-13 12:23 AM
    Go watch Frank boulben's interview with Forbes. The marketing will ramp up as we approach the 30th.
    BergerKing and TomJasper like this.
    01-19-13 12:33 AM
    Go watch Frank boulben's interview with Forbes. The marketing will ramp up as we approach the 30th.
    Both Howarmat and Greatwiseone beat me to it.

Even THorsten previously commented that the marketing would only ramp up AFTER the launch when the full details of BlackBerry 10 would be released, which makes sense.

I would be shocked if they dont have a Super Bowl ad.
    01-19-13 01:06 AM
    *sigh* Not again...

To the public at large, particularly in the US, BlackBerry is a dead brand. Putting ads up now, when there's no product to demo, would be about as effective as GM trying to resurrect Oldsmobile. How, exactly, should they be trying to promote this?

As Howarmat posted, there has indeed been advertising. Tightly-targeted advertising. They've had demos posted on Forbes.com. They took over the New York Times' Dealbook web page last month and gave it a "flow" UI makeover.

They've been putting the REAL money into developer engagement, because right now Apple and Android are trying to claim that app portfolio numbers are the most important metric.

Finally, to be totally, brutally honest, there's not a lot of obviously flashy innovation. Emphasis on the "obviously flashy". It's honestly a beautiful, elegant platform that is actually, genuinely, easier to use and navigate through, but the truth of that isn't easy to convey in a 30 second TV spot. People will need to see it.

I believe that RIM has built an army of evangelists through its developer engagement, and there are still plenty of people in IT who are relieved that the company that supplies the biggest and best Mobile Device Management solution isn't going out of business. These are the core users who will make BB10 a success in the first quarter or two. And as these people show their phones to their friends, family, and co-workers, trust me, there will be strong word of mouth to drive sales after that.

THAT is RIM's marketing effort. So far, it's been working beautifully.
    01-19-13 01:10 AM
    Marketing for a product that has not officially been unveiled is way more than television adverts, at this stage it is about winning over the blogs, websites etc. that have been negative about blackberry in the past and judging by the coverage they are getting, they are doing really well at that.

TV adverts and the like will kick in after the launch which is theoretically the first time the device will be seen and when it is just about to become available i.e. when it would do more use.
    01-19-13 04:46 AM
    Marketing strategy was clear as others have stated:
    1) under the radar: influencers, bloggers, tech press, social networks (this is working: even BGR is now enthusiastic)
    2) ramping up public awareness until the 30th (see RIM interview on CNBC, FOX NEWS and so on, overall positive reception)
    3) get carriers and developers behind (done for all majors in NA, UK at least, working for devs)
    4) after 30th when the two devices are unveiled and BB10 exposed go with the main fireworks, TV ads, billboards, newspaper, reviews from tech and general press and so on...
    so far, the strategy has been paying of
    Last edited by kojita; 01-20-13 at 02:59 AM.
    bluetroll and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-19-13 05:22 AM
    I would be shocked if they dont have a Super Bowl ad.
    I think they may very well do that and it would be money well spent. Maybe that's why they're announcing 4 days before the big game.

Unfortunately, RIM is not included on any of the advertiser lists I've been reading out there.
    01-19-13 06:17 AM
    Our rep has been alluding to Super Bowl for weeks now so it would be a great way to kick off BB10 after the launch event.

Black in Black(berry)!
    01-19-13 06:54 AM
    I hear ya...

But its all starting to seem like RIM as usual: Put out a product with no marketing support what so ever and call it genius "word of mouth" advertising. That didn't work for the playbook and it's not gonna work here either. They've got to get ahead of their own narrative instead of waiting for the public to write it for them. I mean damn its simple to me..... People want YOU to convince them! Tell me why this is the greatest device that's ever been created and why I should **** on my iPhone right now! Isn't that's what everybody else is doing? Oh.. RIM is also "reinventing" marketing... Man please.

Jan 30th:

bloggers: This device is awesome RIM may have hit it out the park.
    Joe blow: .......
    Bloggers: (couple weeks later) really surprised by this new bb10 its very new and refreshing
    Joe Blow: .. Huh..
    Bloggers: (month or two later) These bb10 devises are rolling out but sales aren't that impressive. I GUESS WE CAN SAY BB10 HAS FAILED AND RIMM IS DEAD! WE TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK!!!!!!

Get ahead of the narrative RIM!
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    01-19-13 07:19 AM
    I hear ya...

But its all starting to seem like RIM as usual: Put out a product with no marketing support what so ever and call it genius "word of mouth" advertising. That didn't work for the playbook and it's not gonna work here either. They've got to get ahead of their own narrative instead of waiting for the public to write it for them. I mean damn its simple to me..... People want YOU to convince them! Tell me why this is the greatest device that's ever been created and why I should **** on my iPhone right now! Isn't that's what everybody else is doing? Oh.. RIM is also "reinventing" marketing... Man please.

Jan 30th:

bloggers: This device is awesome RIM may have hit it out the park.
    Joe blow: .......
    Bloggers: (couple weeks later) really surprised by this new bb10 its very new and refreshing
    Joe Blow: .. Huh..
    Bloggers: (month or two later) These bb10 devises are rolling out but sales aren't that impressive. I GUESS WE CAN SAY BB10 HAS FAILED AND RIMM IS DEAD! WE TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK!!!!!!

Get ahead of the narrative RIM!
    Unfortunately for Rim I think you're spot on. I said this a while ago...RIM HAS to start marketing this phone to the average consumer now or they will fail. BB is not the company that can sell a phone to a customer walking in to att/Verizon/sprint to make their first smartphone purchase. They are not the company that can sell a phone to a mobile phone window shopper. They need to sell the phone with marketing so their customer is literally driving to the store to buy it. If they rely on the little demo videos in the stores to sell the phone or the salesmen behind the counter to sell the phone, they are 100% dead...guaranteed. Unfortunately for them, it appears this is exactly what they are doing. The best predictor of a persons future is their past. BB is doing EXACTLY what they did with the Playbook. No one outside of Crackberry has a damn clue about this phone and the launch is less than 2 weeks away. If you can't see this as a major problem then you have your head in the sand.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    KOOLWATER, dynot and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    01-19-13 07:46 AM
    Look people, I share your concern but I believe that RIM has a sound strategy. They have an install base of 80M (give or take a M) the majorty of which are dying for a new os and device. This base knows all about BB10 and is waiting to purchase. The blogs and leaks are sufficient advertising for this base. If 1/4 of them purchase in the quarter of release that is 20M sales. After launch that is when the advertising to the uninitiated begins, when there is a product to show and when pricing and availability can be announced. The sales to the base prevents the initial narrative of being one of failure, which allows the public in general to feel confident in the success of RIM and to go and buy the devices without thinking that RIM is going under.
    01-19-13 08:07 AM
    No one outside of Crackberry has a damn clue about this phone and the launch is less than 2 weeks away. If you can't see this as a major problem then you have your head in the sand.
    I know lots of people outside CrackBerry who know about this phone...
    01-19-13 08:22 AM
    RIM IS MARKETING THESE PHONES...
    You may just not notice, do you remember this?
    Or do you see the hundreds of internet ads, or maybe do you see the facebook + twitter ads, and their great PR team they have working for them..?
    Everything will lead them back to here.
    All of those reviews you see, that is marketing, RIM is hyping everyone up before the big launch.
    RIM is doing the most they can, how are you supposed to market a product that isn't even released yet?
    Thunderbuck, battery and jesse_h like this.
    01-19-13 08:33 AM
    I know lots of people outside CrackBerry who know about this phone...
    I wish I could say the same. There are people I've told repeatedly not to worry about me and my choice of phone; that the playing fields will be tilted in a new direction come January 30th. I've given people reasons why our BB10 will be the ish, etc. They don't remember a thing, don't know a thing, don't care about it. I just don't believe that the fans can simply be the ones to generate enough excitement. The people need a peek, not the people of crackberry - the people who don't give two craps about RIM.
    01-19-13 08:54 AM
    Or do you see the hundreds of internet ads, or maybe do you see the facebook + twitter ads, and their great PR team they have working for them..?
    All of those reviews you see, that is marketing, RIM is hyping everyone up before the big launch.
    RIM is doing the most they can, how are you supposed to market a product that isn't even released yet?
    There are plenty of ways to market a product that hasn't been released. You market the launch, you market the anticipation...in fact, I would say it's just as effective if not more so to market before a product is on the shelves than after. Build up is a huge part of a product release...you want people standing in lines to get your product, or at least be asking about your product. Anticipation is always the most exciting part and the time when you will capture most people's attention...why?...because they haven't actually handled the product, so their minds are in full creative mode. BB needs to capitalize on this time...unfortunately they are relying on 20th century marketing (print) and word of mouth. I would say word of mouth advertising is normally a great way to get the word out, but with BB's horrid reputation, that ain't the way to get your product noticed.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 08:58 AM
    I personally take internet ads with a huge grain of salt, just about every ad that pops up on any browser I use is modified to mirror the things I search for the most. If someone who didn't know me used my computer/9930 they'd know these 3 things about me.

1. I really do a lot of window shopping at jackthreads.com
    2. I really follow and read a lot of things RIM/Blackberry
    3. I really want to buy a new Infiniti
    01-19-13 08:59 AM
    *sigh* Not again...

To the public at large, particularly in the US, BlackBerry is a dead brand. Putting ads up now, when there's no product to demo, would be about as effective as GM trying to resurrect Oldsmobile. How, exactly, should they be trying to promote this?

As Howarmat posted, there has indeed been advertising. Tightly-targeted advertising. They've had demos posted on Forbes.com. They took over the New York Times' Dealbook web page last month and gave it a "flow" UI makeover.

They've been putting the REAL money into developer engagement, because right now Apple and Android are trying to claim that app portfolio numbers are the most important metric.

Finally, to be totally, brutally honest, there's not a lot of obviously flashy innovation. Emphasis on the "obviously flashy". It's honestly a beautiful, elegant platform that is actually, genuinely, easier to use and navigate through, but the truth of that isn't easy to convey in a 30 second TV spot. People will need to see it.

I believe that RIM has built an army of evangelists through its developer engagement, and there are still plenty of people in IT who are relieved that the company that supplies the biggest and best Mobile Device Management solution isn't going out of business. These are the core users who will make BB10 a success in the first quarter or two. And as these people show their phones to their friends, family, and co-workers, trust me, there will be strong word of mouth to drive sales after that.

THAT is RIM's marketing effort. So far, it's been working beautifully.
    IMHO it wouldn't hurt to create an ad for the new brand awareness, just enough to get nonblackaberry users and people who don't have BB friends to say, "This is a new blackberry?, looks total different. Let's see what this is about". This could grab the attention of people who have little info about BB10 or don't even know it's coming out.
    Admorris and KOOLWATER like this.
    01-19-13 09:50 AM
    If RIM wants to get the word out to an entire country in one fell swoop -- that's how you do it.

Expensive, yes, but talk to the band Fun if you want to know how well Super Bowl ads can work out for you.

That said, I'm not expecting one.
    01-19-13 10:07 AM
    As has been said many times, adds that create an interest would make people want to try them. When they find out they can't, well that just solidifies their negative attitude and in a months time (don't really know when) when the phones are available, they have moved on and don't care any more. They have been seeding and that is the smartest way at the moment. Also, this is not a one time event. They don't need everyone on board day one. This is a long term race. H_O_Boomaye brought up movies... well they are around for anywhere from a week to 4 weeks, depending on sales. That's it... to draw a comparison is not logical. I've said it before, RIM is all over the news. I hear almost everyday on the morning and evening news about RIM stock what it's doing. Bloggers are all changing their tune and writing about how great the new OS really is. Celebrities are trying it and tweeting about how impressed they are. Carrier web pages are all (here in Canada) having banners stating "BB10 coming soon". There are hints of the new coming of RIM all over the place. It may not be in your face, but when they do release the campaign in full force, the underlying groundwork has already been laid. It's almost subliminal at this point.... believe it or not, people have been hearing about this for quite some time. Soon the fingers will be snapped, and the masses will "wake up" and realize what's going on.
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-19-13 10:12 AM
    As has been said many times, adds that create an interest would make people want to try them. When they find out they can't, well that just solidifies their negative attitude and in a months time (don't really know when) when the phones are available, they have moved on and don't care any more.
    I don't entirely agree with this. How long have we been waiting for now? Each leak/positive bit of info we get, only gets us more exited about the new phone even though most of us haven't physically used it or know what it's fully capable of.

I've said it before, RIM is all over the news. I hear almost everyday on the morning and evening news about RIM stock what it's doing. Bloggers are all changing their tune and writing about how great the new OS really is. Celebrities are trying it and tweeting about how impressed they are. Carrier web pages are all (here in Canada) having banners stating "BB10 coming soon".
    This may be the case up north but, I haven't seen alot of talk about the BB10 in my area. Sure some bloggers have changed their tune but this information doesn't reach people who don't follow tech blogs. Same goes for the twitter comment. AFAIK, the 4 carriers in the US do not mention BB10 on their site yet. I only know which US carrier will have BB10 because I proactively search for that information.

There are hints of the new coming of RIM all over the place. It may not be in your face, but when they do release the campaign in full force, the underlying groundwork has already been laid. It's almost subliminal at this point.... believe it or not, people have been hearing about this for quite some time. Soon the fingers will be snapped, and the masses will "wake up" and realize what's going on.
    IMHO this "groundwork" has only been laid for BB enthusiast and Tech junkies, which i feel is a small segment of the smartphone market.
    Admorris and KOOLWATER like this.
    01-19-13 10:43 AM
    Dday: January 30th...

We're two weeks out...

1) No television ads
    2) No Major Network interviews
    3) Step away from this Site and People still don't know about it.

I shouldn't have to explain my #bb10, #jan30 tags to anyone, but average Joes are clueless about this "big announcement". I thought there was supposed to be some awesome advertising campaign. WHERE THE **** IS IT?
    You're not going to see anything big till after the launch event. Why would RIM reveal the product before the launch, doesn't make sense. Just got to hold in there, the CMO knows his stuff.
    SMocek, jesse_h and lotuslanderz like this.
    01-19-13 10:51 AM
113 123 ...