Why would they waste time marketing a phone and OS you can't buy yet?

BlackBerry may not be popular right now but they still have brand awareness, which is all they can advertise right now.

Right now they are concentrating on keeping current BlackBerry fans interested through channels that BlackBerry fans will already be connected (FB, Twitter, email blasts).
    After launch they can start showing off the phones, the OS and whatever else they have planned.

Personally I think they are doing an excellent job on this campaign. A couple of years from now marketing classes will be doing case studies about it. Even the way they "walked" the floor at CES, I'm sure they had to pay to do that (normally you're not allowed to 'aisle' sell) but a fraction of the cost of a booth. Even the QNX car guys had the Z10 - brilliant.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(3896606), DJM626 and jesse_h like this.
    01-19-13 10:53 AM
    Why would they waste time marketing a phone and OS you can't buy yet?

BlackBerry may not be popular right now but they still have brand awareness, which is all they can advertise right now.

Right now they are concentrating on keeping current BlackBerry fans interested through channels that BlackBerry fans will already be connected (FB, Twitter, email blasts).
    After launch they can start showing off the phones, the OS and whatever else they have planned.

Personally I think they are doing an excellent job on this campaign. A couple of years from now marketing classes will be doing case studies about it. Even the way they "walked" the floor at CES, I'm sure they had to pay to do that (normally you're not allowed to 'aisle' sell) but a fraction of the cost of a booth. Even the QNX car guys had the Z10 - brilliant.

They are marketing now, just not mass marketing which could be helpful IMHO. Go to global.blackberry.com and you are redirected to BlackBerry 10 - Official News and Updates at BlackBerry.com - Global the page itself is an ad.
    01-19-13 11:28 AM
    Did nobody listen to RIM CMO interview?

Everything is happening according to plan, relax, this is a multiprong approach leading up to Jan 30 2013 and beyond.

Patience grasshopper, 1st phase is social media leading to Jan 30 2013 then out the gates full bore!

BTW, the media info and goodwill on RIM BB10 has been ramping up daily, stock has more than doubled since summer 2012, all this DOES NOT happen in a vacuum.

As for the meat and potatoes, well Jan 30 2013 and beyond it will become clear and you will see an explosion of marketing.
    Thunderbuck, jakie55 and jesse_h like this.
    01-19-13 11:32 AM
    Go watch Frank boulben's interview with Forbes. The marketing will ramp up as we approach the 30th.
    Should be required viewing/reading, perhaps even a sticky for anybody concerned about marketing.
    01-19-13 11:37 AM
    Come on, they could at least run some sneek preview ads well before launch. Rim needs help here, this product has to be a hit. Putting out 6 potential phones compared to the 40 plus put out by android leaves no room for errors. The public needs to know Blackberry has something coming, sure we know here because we are addicts. These phones have last years specs, heaven forbid I mention specs because Rim isnt in the spec game. It needs to be a homerun for Rim now that they waited so long for a release. I like Blackberry, alot. I hope it is.
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-19-13 11:45 AM
    Should be required viewing/reading, perhaps even a sticky for anybody concerned about marketing.

Yes the marking will ramp up as we approach Jan 30 which is less than 2 weeks away and I still haven't seen much. They could start mass marking features listed on the global.blackberry.com site to nonblackberry enthusiast now, it wouldn't hurt since we know those feature will be in the OS. It's too late now to make drastic changes to these features unless they can afford a delay.
    01-19-13 11:48 AM
    Yes the marking will ramp up as we approach Jan 30 which is less than 2 weeks away and I still haven't seen much. They could start mass marking features listed on the global.blackberry.com site to nonblackberry enthusiast now, it wouldn't hurt since we know those feature will be in the OS. It's too late now to make drastic changes to these features unless they can afford a delay.
    I actually haven't seen a BB commercial in probably a year or more. I think that is what leads a lot of the average consumer to ask "is BB still around"?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-19-13 11:56 AM
    I actually haven't seen a BB commercial in probably a year or more. I think that is what leads a lot of the average consumer to ask "is BB still around"?

I have only been using BB for 2 yrs now. I don't recall ever seeing a BB commercial on the channels I watch. I'll have to look one up on youtube.
    01-19-13 12:02 PM
    I'm sorry, I had it wrong...

After watching the CMO videos I now understand that RIM justs want to be the 3rd option brand. If you can't afford an IOS device and you can't use Android because of the security issues then get a blackberry10 device. It's obvious that RIM justs want to transfer the 80 million subscribers they have to bb10 and chill...

They are not at all interested at becoming the #1 mobile OS because that marketing strategy requires a much more aggressive action plan. A tad bit disappointing but atleast they'll survive.
    01-19-13 12:06 PM

After watching the CMO videos I now understand that RIM justs want to be the 3rd option brand. If you can't afford an IOS device and you can't use Android because of the security issues then get a blackberry10 device. It's obvious that RIM justs want to transfer the 80 million subscribers they have to bb10 and chill...

They are not at all interested at becoming the #1 mobile OS because that marketing strategy requires a much more aggressive action plan. A tad bit disappointing but atleast they'll survive.
    A Bronze medal is still a medal.
    01-19-13 12:09 PM
    Dday: January 30th...

We're two weeks out...

1) No television ads
    2) No Major Network interviews
    3) Step away from this Site and People still don't know about it.

I shouldn't have to explain my #bb10, #jan30 tags to anyone, but average Joes are clueless about this "big announcement". I thought there was supposed to be some awesome advertising campaign. WHERE THE **** IS IT?
    They've stated multiple times that they're not going to begin advertising until the product is unveiled. No point in re-iterating on what people know.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-19-13 12:40 PM
    A Bronze medal is still a medal.
    The problem with that philosophy is if/when you fail, you are basically off the map. Always best to shoot for the top and fail with a bronze than the alternative.

KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 12:45 PM
    IMHO it wouldn't hurt to create an ad for the new brand awareness, just enough to get nonblackaberry users and people who don't have BB friends to say, "This is a new blackberry?, looks total different. Let's see what this is about". This could grab the attention of people who have little info about BB10 or don't even know it's coming out.
    I think if they took out that kind of advertising the response for many would be, "Meh, looks like an iPhone/Droid... ", as many commenters here have tried to suggest.

Here's the pitch for BB10: elegant interface, easy navigation, effective communication. They can legitimately claim all of that, but the trouble is, people have heard all that before, and they're skeptical of anything RIM has to say now as it is.
    01-19-13 12:46 PM

That is all absolute BS.

Realistically, the fight is for 3rd right now, particularly in the US. To try to go head-to-head with Apple or Samsung right now is marketing suicide. RIM needs to rebuild a lot of credibility in the consumer market, and that's very hard to do with just advertising.
    01-19-13 12:52 PM
    Doing nothing isnt the answer either.
    01-19-13 12:54 PM
    Just because you're not seeing their effort doesn't mean they're "doing nothing". YOU may not be their priority yet, but trust me, they'll get around to you soon.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-19-13 12:59 PM
    If there are no ads after Jan 30th then this is a valid comment. Today, nope.

iPhone, Android, WP8, Cars, Computers, TV, Appliances, Food, Beverage, Everything is not advertised before it is launched. To do so would be foolish and a waste of money. Consumers as a general statement are quick to forget what they saw a week ago. If BB10 was advertised a month before you can buy it the product would turn stale before the first unit is sold.

Last edited by battery; 01-19-13 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Grammar
    01-19-13 01:01 PM
    The problem with that philosophy is if/when you fail, you are basically off the map. Always best to shoot for the top and fail with a bronze than the alternative.

Im a BB fan, but no way ever they land on top. They are fighting the fights they can win to stay in the mix.Without an entire revamp of the company from top to bottom with agressive personell they will always be third.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 01:02 PM
    That is all absolute BS.

Realistically, the fight is for 3rd right now, particularly in the US. To try to go head-to-head with Apple or Samsung right now is marketing suicide. RIM needs to rebuild a lot of credibility in the consumer market, and that's very hard to do with just advertising.
    If you don't compare yourself and compete against the big boys, you'll never be one. A couple of years ago people would have thought it was crazy for anyone to go after Apple, but that's exactly what Samsung did...and they have had HUGE success with that marketing plan. Conservative gets you nowhere in the tech world but behind (as RIM has proven over and over again). Their real issue with RIM is that they got themselves so far behind Apple and especially Android in the last few years, that what they consider revolutionary and game changing is basically just catching up with them. The average consumer looks at mobile phones from 30k ft and could care less about little changes here and there...they want what's popular, what's familiar and what looks good. 1 out of 3 is not going to cut it.

KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 01:03 PM
    If there is no ads after Jan 30th then this is a valid comment. Today, nope.

iPhone, Android, WP8, Cars, Computers, TV, Appliances, Food, Beverage, Everything is not advertised before it is launched. To do so would be foolish and a waste of money. Consumers as a general statement are quick to forget what they saw a week ago. If BB10 was advertised a month before you can buy it the product would turn stale before the first unit is sold.

I disagree, Rim is in trouble, its sink or swim with this product. Pre launch marketing could not hurt,
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-19-13 01:04 PM
    I disagree, Rim is in trouble, its sink or swim with this product. Pre launch marketing could not hurt,
    It could hurt by 1) Wasting money advertising the back of a phone, and a camera and keyboard that needs to be used to be appreciated. And 2) Causing to much hype and expectations.

Again, consumers are see it and forget it. As an example quickly name in your head 3 things you received for Christmas this year. Marketing is such an art form and RIM is going about it very nicely. As the stock shows.
    01-19-13 01:22 PM
    I think if they took out that kind of advertising the response for many would be, "Meh, looks like an iPhone/Droid... ", as many commenters here have tried to suggest.

Here's the pitch for BB10: elegant interface, easy navigation, effective communication. They can legitimately claim all of that, but the trouble is, people have heard all that before, and they're skeptical of anything RIM has to say now as it is.
    Exactly because these people don't understand or know the cool new features in the OS and UI redesign.

Here is my pitch for a simple commercial.

Someone is walking into a bar or restaurant, the camera is in first person view.

This person pulls out the new BB10 and show off a quick glance at active frames by opening the weather app. showing off the cool new UI.

the patron meets some friends at the establishment and pull up the camera, takes a pic and edits it with the time shift feature, showing this awesome camera feature.

They then show a quick peek at the HUB by pulling up Facebook to post the pic they just took showing that it is different and is easy to navigate.

They add a caption/message to the pic that they are about to upload which quickly shows off the cool predictive text function of the virtual keyboard.

A commercial like this would show the following.

1. This isn't the same old BB, totally revamped. Creating awareness for nonBlackBerry folks.

2. The UI is designed to be easy to navigate via active frames and HUB access.

3. The time shift camera is awesome.

4. BB has a unique and awesome virtual keyboard that others don't.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 01:24 PM
    It could hurt by 1) Wasting money advertising the back of a phone, and a camera and keyboard that needs to be used to be appreciated. And 2) Causing to much hype and expectations.

Again, consumers are see it and forget it. As an example quickly name in your head 3 things you received for Christmas this year. Marketing is such an art form and RIM is going about it very nicely. As the stock shows.
    Timberland boots
    Sog spring assited knife
    Dallas Cowboys calender
    What do I win?
    battery likes this.
    01-19-13 01:27 PM
    Exactly because these people don't understand or know the cool new features in the OS and UI redesign.

Here is my pitch for a simple commercial.

Someone is walking into a bar or restaurant, the camera is in first person view.

This person pulls out the new BB10 and show off a quick glance at active frames by opening the weather app. showing off the cool new UI.

the patron meets some friends at the establishment and pull up the camera, takes a pic and edits it with the time shift feature, showing this awesome camera feature.

They then show a quick peek at the HUB by pulling up Facebook to post the pic they just took showing that it is different and is easy to navigate.

They add a caption/message to the pic that they are about to upload which quickly shows off the cool predictive text function of the virtual keyboard.

A commercial like this would show the following.

1. This isn't the same old BB, totally revamped. Creating awareness for nonBlackBerry folks.

2. The UI is designed to be easy to navigate via active frames and HUB access.

3. The time shift camera is awesome.

4. BB has a unique and awesome virtual keyboard that others don't.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Just have a smoking hot Italian woman holding it, that should help.
    01-19-13 01:28 PM
    Timberland boots
    Sog spring assited knife
    Dallas Cowboys calender
    What do I win?
    In your head. It's easy when you can type it out.

Now name last years.
    rottonj likes this.
    01-19-13 01:31 PM
113 1234 ...