I have my sync time frame set to forever and am wondering if the emails are stored on the device itself or the microsd card.
    Cuz if it is stored on the device then it will slow my phone down as the number of emails increase over time.

Thanks in advance.
    09-13-13 11:32 AM
    It's stored on the device. The SD card is only for media (photos, music, videos, etc).
    09-13-13 11:36 AM
    So will this "sync forever" option slow down my device? Probably right?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:41 AM
    Sorry for the double post I'm not sure how to edit my last post through my phone. I see my device storage memory used section increasing as more emails are syncing. So this is confirmed. I guess until blackberry let's us store emails on sd cards I won't be syncing emails forever.

Thanks guys!!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 11:43 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry will ever let you store emails on an account that is actively being synced on an sd card. What if you remove it (it is hot-swappable, after all)? Or simply don't have one? The situation is too volatile. It needs to stay in directly accessible system memory.

And, I don't think it slows anything down.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    09-13-13 12:04 PM
    Why wouldn't it slow anything down? I know it doesn't take up the ram of the phone which is 2gb but eventually you wouldn't have enough space because you will have used up your 16gb device memory.

I guess it wouldn't slow anything down but just leaves other apps no memories to use.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 12:24 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry will ever let you store emails on an account that is actively being synced on an sd card. What if you remove it (it is hot-swappable, after all)? Or simply don't have one? The situation is too volatile. It needs to stay in directly accessible system memory.

And, I don't think it slows anything down.

Posted via CB10
    It also represents a fairly serious security loophole... assuming of course that the e-mails are encrypted.. it would still only take 30-45 seconds with the phone unattended to pop the cover off, pocket the SD card, put the cover back on and you have all the time in the world to decrypt the e-mail on the card (not to mention that you can't just wipe the server or device to protect the information either) and until the person picks up their phone to check their e-mail it wouldn't be obvious that anything had happened. Dusting off the ol' tinfoil hat, with not overly sophisitcated equipment and 10-15 minutes alone with the phone you could copy the data from the card, return it to the phone and the owner would be none the wiser.

I don't personally have anything sensitive enough in my e-mail for this to be an issue but that would be an utter nightmare for enterprise use.
    Last edited by paper_monkey; 09-13-13 at 12:43 PM. Reason: stupid fingers working faster than my brain...
    09-13-13 12:39 PM
    How do I change storage to "Forever"?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 05:05 PM
    If you're working from the server, why would emails be stored on the device at all?
    09-13-13 05:40 PM
    Emails stored on the device won't slow it down and if it did it would only happen if you had a ridiculous number of emails on the device!

In fact I think the device would slow down more if it had to load a large number of e-mails from SD card rather than the device (think when rebooting the device - SD card needs to initialise then populate the hub)

Tldr: don't worry about it

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 05:52 PM