I like BB10 quite a lot, as I continue to use several BB10 devices.

I'm speaking here only to the BUSINESS decision to move on after staggering losses, with absolutely no hope of recovery.
    To move on would be to exit hardware. The move to android is like helmans mayo bottling miracle whip and branding it as mayo powered by miracle whip. Their business model is the common factor in their failures. Android is a proven loser when it comes to OEMS and was the least logical move.
    08-10-16 08:33 PM
    To move on would be to exit hardware. The move to android is like helmans mayo bottling miracle whip and branding it as mayo powered by miracle whip. Their business model is the common factor in their failures. Android is a proven loser when it comes to OEMS and was the least logical move.
    And that may prove true as well. But one thing for CERTAIN is that BB10 is beyond recovery.

I happen to really, really like the new BlackBerry Android devices.
    08-10-16 08:35 PM
    And that may prove true as well. But one thing for CERTAIN is that BB10 is beyond recovery.

I happen to really, really like the new BlackBerry Android devices.
    So Conite, if anyone disagrees with you they are just not accepting reality, right? Because you are CERTAIN.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 09:52 PM
    So Conite, if anyone disagrees with you they are just not accepting reality, right? Because you are CERTAIN.

Posted via CB10
    On the point of not being able to salvage a real future for BB10, as far as I'm concerned, yes.
    08-10-16 10:23 PM
    On the point of not being able to salvage a real future for BB10, as far as I'm concerned, yes.
    As far as I'm concerned, your certainty is misplaced. I think another BB10 device done right would sell better than the Priv or DTECK. I don�t expect one though.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3983727) likes this.
    08-10-16 10:50 PM
    As far as I'm concerned, your certainty is misplaced. I think another BB10 device done right would sell better than the Priv or DTECK. I don�t expect one though.

Posted via CB10
    That still wouldn't salvage BB10 from the ashes. You'd need 10 million to do that.
    08-10-16 10:53 PM
    What telcom were you the CEO of? Where do you get that number? It's not 20 million or 8 million?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 11:12 PM
    What telcom were you the CEO of? Where do you get that number? It's not 20 million or 8 million?
    The person who gave that number was (and is) a CEO...

Says BlackBerry CEO, "If we ship 10 million phones in a year, we'll be profitable on phones" | CrackBerry.com
    08-11-16 12:44 AM
    First, that was a made-up, arbitrary number which he later changed to half that. Second, this was a number of sales per year not installed base.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 01:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    If a BB10 device would sell better then BlackBerry would make it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-11-16 01:47 AM
    First, that was a made-up, arbitrary number which he later changed to half that. Second, this was a number of sales per year not installed base.

Posted via CB10
    Ugh... Semantics.

*A3-A20
    08-11-16 03:58 AM
    As far as BB10 is concerned, no one has ever bothered to spend the resources trying to find holes in drivers, so we wouldn't know of such things. BB10 has resiliency built in too, of course.
    Are you sure?
    Yes, you won't find any nude photos of celebrities because no-one is using BlackBerry.
    But there are lots of very very interesting people using BlackBerry.
    When is BlackBerry 10.3.3 coming?-4-format2010.jpg
    08-11-16 04:35 AM
    Are you sure?
    Yes, you won't find any nude photos of celebrities because no-one is using BlackBerry.
    But there are lots of very very interesting people using BlackBerry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-format2010.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	406051
    Zzzzz....
    This looks much more "interesting."
    Attached Thumbnails When is BlackBerry 10.3.3 coming?-img_20160811_181928.jpg  
    08-11-16 05:23 AM
    When is BlackBerry 10.3.3 coming?-blackberry-cell-phone-denim-dress-drinks-favim.com-140007.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 06:52 AM
    08-11-16 07:33 AM
    That still wouldn't salvage BB10 from the ashes. You'd need 10 million to do that.
    I don't know where you get that 10 million number from.. you know the company is NOTHING like it was when that figure was posted. It is likely a small fraction of that now to break even. Even with development resumed it would be at a much slower capacity done by a smaller team with outsourced manufacturing.
    08-11-16 08:11 AM
    I don't know where you get that 10 million number from.. you know the company is NOTHING like it was when that figure was posted. It is likely a small fraction of that now to break even. Even with development resumed it would be at a much slower capacity done by a smaller team with outsourced manufacturing.
    Blackberry has always out-sourced manufacturing. You're trying to change the rules of the game. Blackberry had to be the size it was to commit to an entire proprietary OS. It's only because they switched to Android they were able to make all the cuts they did. Don't forget that bb10 has not been actively developed for about 2 years now.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-11-16 08:21 AM
    As long as we ignore the billions in sunk cost and write offs. BB10 will never, ever, be a profitable venture.
    08-11-16 08:22 AM
    When is BlackBerry 10.3.3 coming?-83980167.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 09:11 AM
    That was the number of BB10 needed to be sold in order to break even/start turning a profit. The later lowered numbers were Android numbers, reflecting the much lower cost to BB of making Android devices.

And while of course that number might not have been "down to the device" accurate, IMO they were reasonably accurate estimates given BB's costs and profit-per-device-sold.
    StephanieMaks and JeepBB like this.
    08-11-16 09:29 AM
    Blackberry has always out-sourced manufacturing. You're trying to change the rules of the game. Blackberry had to be the size it was to commit to an entire proprietary OS. It's only because they switched to Android they were able to make all the cuts they did. Don't forget that bb10 has not been actively developed for about 2 years now.
    Sorry, your right. Blackberry has been outsourcing manufacturing but these new devices are the first based on other OEM reference designs. They saved on R&D big time going this route.

I don't believe Blackberry needs to be anywhere near its former size to continue development of BB10. Also do you know how many people are currently developing for the Blandroid project? We are making a lot of assumptions to rule out possibility's here. Without fact everything is plausible.
    08-11-16 10:51 AM
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!

Oh....wait....she was pink slipped over a year ago.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    08-11-16 02:48 PM
    Sorry, your right. Blackberry has been outsourcing manufacturing but these new devices are the first based on other OEM reference designs. They saved on R&D big time going this route.

I don't believe Blackberry needs to be anywhere near its former size to continue development of BB10. Also do you know how many people are currently developing for the Blandroid project? We are making a lot of assumptions to rule out possibility's here. Without fact everything is plausible.
    Yep. A lot of assumptions. ("But you have to accept reality! You are in denial! You are delusional not to accept reality!")

BB10 is working for nearly all of us after two years of near complete neglect by BlackBerry. How much effort does it take to maintain it? Does it take thousands of programmers? Apparently not.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 02:49 PM
    The A team are of the opinion that BB10 failed because it failed to develop a thriving eco-system.
    They think that big ticket marketing would have been wasted money as it would just create more returns.

The B team are of the opinion that BB10 failed because of ineffective/nonexistent marketing.
    They think that BlackBerry could have been profitable even without an ecosystem.

Is this a fair summary?

Also, does it follow that in either case the android run-time was a waste of time and money?
    08-11-16 03:47 PM
    Any new features will be added?
    08-11-16 04:08 PM
275 ... 7891011