Probably means losing billions flipping and flopping.. You really thing going android will help?
    It helps to the extent that they only need to sell a couple million devices instead of 10 million to break even.
    marshalayy likes this.
    08-10-16 07:48 AM
    I sincerely feel that it's a shame BlackBerry didn't pull through on BB10. People are getting bored with iOS and Android and looking around for alternatives. And that's the moment BlackBerry decides to leave one of the most potent phone osses. I get the move to Android and software for short term but if they would really wanted to make a difference they should have expanded the BB10 route and expand integration.

BB10 was too expensive, very poorly marketed, not perfect when launched. But the state it was before it is getting killed (that's where we're at) is just plain better than any other os in core functionality.

Yes we still don't have apps but hey we don't have a user base... so who's to blame for that?

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-10-16 07:52 AM
    Jereon you nailed it.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:00 AM
    OS 10.3.3...???? Come on

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:47 AM
    People are getting bored with iOS and Android and looking around for alternatives.
    [citation needed]
    08-10-16 08:55 AM
    I sincerely feel that it's a shame BlackBerry didn't pull through on BB10. People are getting bored with iOS and Android and looking around for alternatives.
    If that's the case, why isn't Windows Phone marketshare on the rise?

Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Grew 3.9 Percent in First Quarter of 2016
    08-10-16 09:54 AM
    [citation needed]
    One percent of people, maybe.
    08-10-16 10:01 AM
    Never

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 10:09 AM
    I wouldn't say "no-one wants" but I agree that a very significant portion would rather not be running android but feel there is no other option. Plenty for a company like Blackberry to become a key player again.
    People have a lot of money invested in the apps they use. The cost of changing one's OS is more than just "replacing a phone." I had to fork out money when going from an Android tablet to my ipad because of things I had to buy all over again. For me it wasn't bad, but for some it could go up into the hundreds of dollars, effectively doubling the cost of just "buying a new phone." That's just as bad (if not worse) as giving up the convenience and entertainment value of a good app ecosystem.
    08-10-16 10:12 AM
    It helps to the extent that they only need to sell a couple million devices instead of 10 million to break even.
    That 10 million to break even number would likely have been the same with android before the massive downsize and restructure. Blackberry had a massive staff working on who knows what with very little actually making it to customers. BB10 was not receiving massive regular updates.
    08-10-16 10:20 AM
    If that's the case, why isn't Windows Phone marketshare on the rise?

Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Grew 3.9 Percent in First Quarter of 2016
    Because its got a pretty awful user experience and Windows is already the "Android of PCs" . Its got a pretty bad track record but its for most people the only option.
    08-10-16 10:26 AM
    People have a lot of money invested in the apps they use. The cost of changing one's OS is more than just "replacing a phone." I had to fork out money when going from an Android tablet to my ipad because of things I had to buy all over again. For me it wasn't bad, but for some it could go up into the hundreds of dollars, effectively doubling the cost of just "buying a new phone." That's just as bad (if not worse) as giving up the convenience and entertainment value of a good app ecosystem.
    I don't think the majority of users actually purchase apps. Ad revenue is the top means of monetizing apps due to the fact that users generally are not willing to pay for them. Ask the average Joe how many apps they have ever purchased...
    08-10-16 10:29 AM
    That 10 million to break even number would likely have been the same with android before the massive downsize and restructure. Blackberry had a massive staff working on who knows what with very little actually making it to customers. BB10 was not receiving massive regular updates.
    They needed a massive staff, support centres, buildings, admin, designers, developers, etc, etc, etc, etc to keep a proprietary OS going. They need magnitudes less to provide their value add to Android. I would say the numbers are accurate.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-10-16 10:49 AM
    They needed a massive staff, support centres, buildings, admin, designers, developers, etc, etc, etc, etc to keep a proprietary OS going. They need magnitudes less to provide their value add to Android. I would say the numbers are accurate.
    Supporting android they need damn near all of the same resources given they are "Injecting their special sauce" and releasing monthly security patches. They have to test and troubleshoot every patch that comes through. All of their proprietary software is being constantly developed for an OS that is evolving MUCH faster than their own and with no means to slow it or even say in what direction it goes in.
    08-10-16 11:01 AM
    Supporting android they need damn near all of the same resources given they are "Injecting their special sauce" and releasing monthly security patches. They have to test and troubleshoot every patch that comes through. All of their proprietary software is being constantly developed for an OS that is evolving MUCH faster than their own and with no means to slow it or even say in what direction it goes in.
    Clearly BlackBerry would disagree with your resource assessment. As do I.
    08-10-16 11:31 AM
    Ok thanks for the update ill go to northpole.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, even north pole isn't quite enough for the update to be released... just go from north pole to south pole twice and 10.3.3 may arrive ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 11:46 AM
    Clearly BlackBerry would disagree with your resource assessment. As do I.
    Is it really that clear? You think their motive was purely survival?
    Well that I don't agree.
    My thought is that the powers that be think that Blackberry's don't sell due to apps alone. Jumping on the app bandwagon by going Android for them was logical. I think they knew the costs would be high still and major restructuring was required.
    Now I predict they will be eating humble pie as they regroup and re-think things yet again. With the Blackberry app package available on Android and iOS I predict they will revisit a home brew OS again either BB10 or an android fork that they can properly control and secure.
    08-10-16 11:50 AM
    Hi I am just back from my world trip is 10.3.3 rlsd now?

Posted via CB10
    I guess this means that you didn't visit Switzerland where it is rumoured to have been released two weeks ago.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    08-10-16 12:05 PM
    Now I predict they will be eating humble pie as they regroup and re-think things yet again. With the Blackberry app package available on Android and iOS I predict they will revisit a home brew OS again either BB10 or an android fork that they can properly control and secure.
    I think they have the next move figured out already If the current strategy doesn't work.
    Its..... get out of the handset business.

Android fork!
    Home brew OS!
    LOL!
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-10-16 12:14 PM
    It ain't happening. It's now November I have heard for global roll out

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 12:18 PM
    I think they have the next move figured out already If the current strategy doesn't work.
    Its..... get out of the handset business.

Android fork!
    Home brew OS!
    LOL!
    They have said they would leave the handset business every quarter yet Chen still keeps trying to push worse and worse ideas. If Chen wants to keep trying he will have to start listening to consumers.
    08-10-16 12:19 PM
    If Chen wants to keep trying he will have to start listening to consumers.
    Now that's just crazy talk.
    08-10-16 12:26 PM
    Lol, even north pole isn't quite enough for the update to be released... just go from north pole to south pole twice and 10.3.3 may arrive ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Should I go walking?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 12:39 PM
    Heh, this again. You make it sound as if everyone who DID know actually bought it. Which in itself is so far from reality that it's laughable.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Before McDonald's can sell a hamburger, potential customers must know it exists. If they don't know it exists, McDonald's cannot possibly make a sale.

McDonald's has the benefit of thousands of physical real estate with big signs. It also advertises.

Blackberry has no physical presence and no advertising. The only thing itt gets is minor media attention.

Unless customers know about it, we can't know whether or not they would buy it and if not why not.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 01:29 PM
    They have said they would leave the handset business every quarter yet Chen still keeps trying to push worse and worse ideas. If Chen wants to keep trying he will have to start listening to consumers.
    But didn't you hear that Chen sells to "prosumers" and directly to "industry"? Customers? We don't need no customers!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 01:32 PM
275 ... 56789 ...