Microsoft is probably trying to kill Skype and replace with Lync.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2267
    they actually rebranded Lync with Skype for Business lol

http://blogs.skype.com/2014/11/11/in...-for-business/
    Last edited by khehl; 03-12-15 at 09:31 AM.
    03-12-15 09:19 AM
    I'm going with never.
    03-12-15 09:48 AM
    The next update of the runtime may take some time.

Android 4.3 had the Dalvik runtime, which had a just-in-time compiler, compiling app code to machine code just before execution, every time you ran the app. Yes, really. How inefficient. Now you know why your Berry pauses when you start android apps.

The new "Android runtime," or ART, which replaces Dalvik, became optional in 4.4 and the only runtime in 5.0. It offers ahead-of-time compilation, compiling the code upon installation, which seems to make more sense to me. Anyways, I don't know how much work it will be for BlackBerry's (much reduced) staff to implement the change.

I'm not an android programmer, so I only understand the basics of this. Here's a source: http://blog.newrelic.com/2014/07/07/...art-vs-dalvik/
    blackguy07 and anon(5818411) like this.
    03-12-15 09:53 AM
    The next update of the runtime may take some time.

Android 4.3 had the Dalvik runtime, which had a just-in-time compiler, compiling app code to machine code just before execution, every time you ran the app. Yes, really. How inefficient. Now you know why your Berry pauses when you start android apps.

The new "Android runtime," or ART, which replaces Dalvik, became optional in 4.4 and the only runtime in 5.0. It offers ahead-of-time compilation, compiling the code upon installation, which seems to make more sense to me. Anyways, I don't know how much work it will be for BlackBerry's (much reduced) staff to implement the change.

I'm not an android programmer, so I only understand the basics of this. Here's a source: Android Runtime Performance Analysis: ART vs. Dalvik
    I hope they can do it I look forward to not having that pause
    03-12-15 12:31 PM
    Yes exactly, Blackberry deserves to have good quality native app. Most android port sucks anyway. Have you seen Skype ? It's unuseable, it shouldn't even be advertised as 'Skype Compatible'
    That will take longer to happen than getting lollipop , if ever . Get rid of android and say goodbye to your consumer base and maybe even enterprise
    03-12-15 12:33 PM
    I would rather them work on getting android apps all headless and integrate with the OS first.

OS integration: - pick a different calendar (sunrise) and a different note taking app (onenote) to be my defaults.
    - have ifttt and tasker partly working with BB10 (i get it's almost impossible to get them fully working but have something like location, calendar, sms, contacts working with them would be good enough)
    - android apps fully working with my PIM apps

Headless: everything shows up in the notifications tab in the HUB

Posted via CB10
    That's all id like. Seamless Integration , speed and hub notifications . Id be a happy camper
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    03-12-15 12:35 PM
    Microsoft is probably trying to kill Skype and replace with Lync.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2267
    Well the upcoming version of Lync will be called Skype for Business, if that tells you anything.
    03-12-15 01:30 PM
    Not everyone has cell coverage including a few million square miles in Canada so WiFi and Skype is still very useful for many of us. in fact essential and it works well enough. Much better than BBos. I am grateful that Microsoft bowed to the request to bring to BB, even as an android app.
    03-12-15 03:20 PM
    I believe we shouldn't have an Android runtime in the first place so hopefully it gets removed soon

Posted via CB10
    Awesome contribution to the thread.

Posted via CB10
    menshawy and snapexp like this.
    03-12-15 03:44 PM
    What happens with Android is that the previous version is released to Open Source when a new current version is adopted.

What that means is that with the release of Lollipop, we should be seeing Kit Kat as the next target for the BB10 runtime. I have no idea what the timeframe is on this.

AFAIK, there should be no problem with ART once Lollipop is released to Open Source, unless Google decides to make Android a proprietary OS and remove it from Open Source. ART will be Open Sourced along with the rest of the OS.
    03-12-15 04:05 PM
    Awesome contribution to the thread.

Posted via CB10
    You are from auburn? I live in Auburn haha

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 04:11 PM
    You are from auburn? I live in Auburn haha

Posted via CB10
    Small world, I went to school there! I need to back down and see the new trees...

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 04:57 PM
    Well the upcoming version of Lync will be called Skype for Business, if that tells you anything.
    Lol silly Microsoft, Lync is a dumb name anyways, especially in Florida, one of the major public bus transportation names lynx, people get it confused all the time, and some people refer to it as office communicator.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2267
    03-12-15 05:33 PM
    Lol silly Microsoft, Lync is a dumb name anyways, especially in Florida, one of the major public bus transportation names lynx, people get it confused all the time, and some people refer to it as office communicator.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.2267
    You realize microsoft operates all over the world, not just in a section of Florida right?

Do people in Florida also get confused because they think someone is taking a ride on a wild cat?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 06:23 PM
    would love to see Apple open up and give FaceTime to BB10. That is the one and only feature that I like about iPhone and iPads. Face Time is a solid app. It would work great on my passport-lol
    03-12-15 07:09 PM
    What happens with Android is that the previous version is released to Open Source when a new current version is adopted.

What that means is that with the release of Lollipop, we should be seeing Kit Kat as the next target for the BB10 runtime. I have no idea what the timeframe is on this.

AFAIK, there should be no problem with ART once Lollipop is released to Open Source, unless Google decides to make Android a proprietary OS and remove it from Open Source. ART will be Open Sourced along with the rest of the OS.
    I hope you're right, and ART is a 'drop-in' replacement for Dalvik. I'm not sure that's the case. I found a pretty interesting (but slightly dated) read on the subject here: BlackBerry 10: A better Android than Android? | ZDNet

Minor digression: The thing that really bothers me about BlackBerry's dated hardware choices is that, given the approach they've taken with the android runtime, there's absolutely no reason why a BlackBerry with the same hardware specs as an android device would run android apps any slower.
    03-12-15 08:29 PM
    Will the ART help with when I have a android app minimized, and then when I open it the screen blacks out briefly and comes back?

It's as if my phone is reminding me that the app wasn't made for it. Happens for about half my Droid apps on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:25 PM
    Will the ART help with when I have a android app minimized, and then when I open it the screen blacks out briefly and comes back?

It's as if my phone is reminding me that the app wasn't made for it. Happens for about half my Droid apps on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's more of a RAM or CPU inefficiency maybe?

On my Passport I only really have it happen when I'm in battery saver mode towards the end of the day. Other than that they usually resume flawlessly (aside from games that auto pause).

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-12-15 09:26 PM
    I think it's more of a RAM or CPU inefficiency maybe?

On my Passport I only really have it happen when I'm in battery saver mode towards the end of the day. Other than that they usually resume flawlessly (aside from games that auto pause).

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    Hmm for me it's certain apps every time, others always work. Sometimes if a bunch of andys are running they start to all do this.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:30 PM

It could be wrong, but I read somewhere that those sneaky guys over at Google only Open Sourced part of the 4.4 ART runtime. The part they didn't Open Source is small, but is integral to the runtime thus making the rest very hard to use without it.

Kinda like trying to drive a car without the engine

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:58 PM
    When the next Android OS is released :P

emPowered by 
    03-12-15 10:26 PM
    Google play latest facebook app not working with bb10 any solutions

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 02:55 AM
    Google play latest facebook app not working with bb10 any solutions

Posted via CB10
    None yet, install the older version that was working before you updated.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 03:24 AM
    Whenever the runtime is updated, I hope BlackBerry jumps straight to 5.1 because it runs really great! It's best iteration of Lollipop so far.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    03-13-15 04:51 AM
    Whenever the runtime is updated, I hope BlackBerry jumps straight to 5.1 because it runs really great! It's best iteration of Lollipop so far.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    Yeah I've tried 5.1 and it runs really great compared to 5.0 or even 4.4

Posted via CB10
    sibeans likes this.
    03-13-15 05:35 AM
63 123