I looked around a bit...
    So here's a 5g modem coming soon from Verizon (no price yet).... and its home 5g Broadband comes in at about 300Mb/s. $50/month (existing customers with cellphone plans). Seems like Verizon is on a similiar wavelength as me....for customers who aren't ready to upgrade their cellphones to 5g just yet or anytime soon. Now the one advantage of upgrading is that your phone should be universal, no variants will be need for difft geographies....so for true constant globalized globetrotters this might be compelling (maybe). I guess the same could be said for a separate wifi/5g modem. The rest? Meh...for now.
    Verizon is wanting to replace you home cable modem with their 5G Home service.... that $50 plan is for a limited 300Mbps plan, not a full 1+Gbps. And it isn't a portable unit.

We are early in this roll out... plans and pricing aren't set. I expect to see a lot of changes come for both home and mobile "hotspots". As with a home Cable Service... I expect you'll eventually have to pay for the higher speeds, an might even see some limits on data. Probably more realistic amounts like throttling at 100GB per month.

But I expect that for old hardware users, LTE is gong to be just fine as it is... If someone wants 5G, they'll breakdown and buy a new phone when the time comes.
    02-26-19 08:38 AM
    Verizon is wanting to replace you home cable modem with their 5G Home service.... that $50 plan is for a limited 300Mbps plan, not a full 1+Gbps. And it isn't a portable unit.

We are early in this roll out... plans and pricing aren't set. I expect to see a lot of changes come for both home and mobile "hotspots". As with a home Cable Service... I expect you'll eventually have to pay for the higher speeds, an might even see some limits on data. Probably more realistic amounts like throttling at 100GB per month.

But I expect that for old hardware users, LTE is gong to be just fine as it is... If someone wants 5G, they'll breakdown and buy a new phone when the time comes.
    I Agree with what you said. But this would be:
    -Usuable Form factor matching phone dimensions:
    -Stripped down Quallcomm snapdragon 8 or so -normal 5g radio and very low powered wifi radio
    -assume concurrently operability between radios
    -no need for Google Android
    -no need for the screen
    -probably no need for 8 cpu cores
    -probably no need for huge rom or ram memory specs etc.
    Essentially just a a radio rebroadcastor and signal convertor (with good security built-in
    -would need battery, SIM and USB features.
    -would need sw interface to know, its working, throughput, signal, charge level etc.

-Also (maybe) becoming a global phone through the external 5g/modem (provided it was carrier supported) theoretically would appeal to some portion of the jetsetters.
    - Accompanying laptop/tablet other iot devices would get their 5g off of this modem
    -Not just for bb10 carry, but also BB androids and others without 5g.
    -Maybe creates a new category that incorporates next gen wifi only and next gen Smartphone SOC's, depending on external 5g modems for cellular connectivity (5g,4g,3g,2g etc) as complementary devices.
    02-26-19 09:37 AM
    -Stripped down Quallcomm snapdragon 8 or so -normal 5g radio and very low powered wifi radio
    -no need for the screen
    Essentially just a a radio rebroadcastor and signal convertor (with good security built-in
    -would need sw interface to know, its working, throughput, signal, charge level etc.

-Also (maybe) becoming a global phone through the external 5g/modem (provided it was carrier supported) theoretically would appeal to some portion of the jetsetters.
    - Accompanying laptop/tablet other iot devices would get their 5g off of this modem
    -Maybe creates a new category that incorporates next gen wifi only and next gen Smartphone SOC's, depending on external 5g modems for cellular connectivity (5g,4g,3g,2g etc) as complementary devices.
    So a 5G version of the MiFi devices we already have? Those are definitely coming.
    02-26-19 10:23 AM
    -no need for the screen

WHY? What will 5G give you that LTE doesn't? 5G is about speed and lower latency... that will require newer hardware across the board, not just the modem.

I think if BB10 works for you, then LTE will be more than enough to meet your needs. If you get to the point you need more, you'll need newer hardware to take full advantage of it. By the time 5G is rolled out globally, I doubt BB10 devices will even be around in three or four years.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-26-19 10:46 AM
    i-plod, here you are - the brick like device. Motorola’s first 5G phone is a display-less device you attach to your existing 4G phone
    hopefully, you like the fitness arm strengthing side effect. ;-)
    anon(10512033) and ppeters914 like this.
    02-27-19 06:19 AM
    i-plod, here you are - the brick like device. Motorola’s first 5G phone is a display-less device you attach to your existing 4G phone
    hopefully, you like the fitness arm strengthing side effect. ;-)
    Yup that looks about right, Maybe should come with a double sleeved carrying case though, or be a fold out convertible attachment to the phone itself (so you can pretend you too have a foldable phone (lol), without shelling $2000). Now is it BlackBerry Hardened? Wouldn't want that 5g to be modified somehow to permit eavesdropping.
    02-27-19 11:36 AM
    Yup that looks about right, Maybe should come with a double sleeved carrying case though, or be a fold out convertible attachment to the phone itself (so you can pretend you too have a foldable phone (lol), without shelling $2000). Now is it BlackBerry Hardened? Wouldn't want that 5g to be modified somehow to permit eavesdropping.
    BBMo or even BB10 devices aren't designed to prevent eavesdropping.... that's a whole different aspect of security. That said the move to VoLTE has turned voice and messaging into data, which is now encrypted. How easy it is for someone to snoop on these???
    02-27-19 01:29 PM
    Talking about the possiblity of hacking the 5g modem hardware/software itself. Something BlackBerry is capable of solutioning.
    02-27-19 03:02 PM
    Talking about the possiblity of hacking the 5g modem hardware/software itself. Something BlackBerry is capable of solutioning.
    ?
    Haven't see too many instance of MiFi hacking, as they don't really store data.... Use to be a big thing to hack them to steal access to someones monthly allowance. But that was early units... lot of changes have been made.

If you are worried about security you ought to be using a VPN anyway....
    02-27-19 03:31 PM
    What about 6G, a la Trump?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-19 08:34 PM
    What about 6G, a la Trump?

Posted via CB10
    You mean this?

Now if only we can Get Trump to tweet about Broader (or was that Border?) Security on Smartphones with BB20 or even BB10, now that would really shake the tree.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-27-19 09:35 PM
  12. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    4G still awsome

Posted via CB10
    03-11-19 05:12 AM
62 123