You know I came to realize that well a 5g chip is tiny little thing, really a small part of the smartphone real estate. Who among those old BlackBerry Hardware engineers could put together a 5g receiver combined with a wifi router....such that a Blackberry 10 phone could get near 5g throughput and bandwidth via its WIFI?
    So your Blackberry initializes wifi contact with the Wifi/5g device, once connected, it enables/wakes up the 5g to make contact with the cell tower, and viola you have near 5g performance. Brilliant? I know.

Thereby not making a BB10 and other current devices obsolete. At first I thought a 5g to usb dongle, but heck wifi would work as well maybe the size of a thumbdrive? or maybe bigger if we pair it with a battery. So a two carry would be 1 phone and 1 5g reciever? What do you think that little baby might be able to be sold for?
    Hey Blackberry want to fund it, as one of your BLACKBERRY IOT projects? We'll get Queen's engineering or Waterloo or UofT or OUIT to develop it. Who's the hardware guy at BB these days anyways? Now don't pooh pooh it, there's lots of old devices not just bb10 that will still be out there. And I'm sure the Wireless providers will not be able to throttle 5g up to anywhere near full theoretical speeds anyways once it is released to the masses.

I imagine that Wifi/5g device might even power multiple smartphones in close proximity (with a bigger battery), or it would be verylow powered that it would have to be only a couple feet from the Blackberry, thereby servicing just the one device.
    02-20-19 05:27 AM
    You know I came to realize that well a 5g chip is tiny little thing, really a small part of the smartphone real estate. Who among those old BlackBerry Hardware engineers could put together a 5g receiver combined with a wifi router....such that a Blackberry 10 phone could get near 5g throughput and bandwidth via its WIFI?
    So your Blackberry initializes wifi contact with the Wifi/5g device, once connected, it enables/wakes up the 5g to make contact with the cell tower, and viola you have near 5g performance. Brilliant? I know.

Thereby not making a BB10 and other current devices obsolete. At first I thought a 5g to usb dongle, but heck wifi would work as well maybe the size of a thumbdrive? or maybe bigger if we pair it with a battery. So a two carry would be 1 phone and 1 5g reciever? What do you think that little baby might be able to be sold for?
    Hey Blackberry want to fund it, as one of your BLACKBERRY IOT projects? We'll get Queen's engineering or Waterloo or UofT or OUIT to develop it. Who's the hardware guy at BB these days anyways? Now don't pooh pooh it, there's lots of old devices not just bb10 that will still be out there. And I'm sure the Wireless providers will not be able to throttle 5g up to anywhere near full theoretical speeds anyways once it is released to the masses.

I imagine that Wifi/5g device might even power multiple smartphones in close proximity (with a bigger battery), or it would be verylow powered that it would have to be only a couple feet from the Blackberry, thereby servicing just the one device.
    Blackberry (RIM) is no longer in the phone business. BlackBerry has moved on, as I'm sure the old engineers, no longer employed by BlackBerry have.
    02-20-19 05:53 AM
    I would rather proceed to use 4g. Small 5g wireless routers will surely emerge on the market as well as 4g wireless routers did.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-19 11:04 AM

i_plod, I'm generally with you on these things, but as someone who is a firm advocate for the continued use of BB10, I have to tell you that if you're wanting 5G celluar connections in the phone sense we're likely SOL on that point. It would require a whole new SoC (system on a chip) with an additional modem and antennas. (This is actually a problem plaguing current phone manufacturers as it relates to 5G.)

Now, could we use a 5G hotspot and connect through wireless? Of course! And there will likely be tiny 5G devices as the technology improves. But for cellular (phone and text) connections we would have to find another solution if we wanted 5G.
    02-20-19 02:01 PM
    i_plod, I'm generally with you on these things, but as someone who is a firm advocate for the continued use of BB10, I have to tell you that if you're wanting 5G celluar connections in the phone sense we're likely SOL on that point. It would require a whole new SoC (system on a chip) with an additional modem and antennas. (This is actually a problem plaguing current phone manufacturers as it relates to 5G.)

Now, could we use a 5G hotspot and connect through wireless? Of course! And there will likely be tiny 5G devices as the technology improves. But for cellular (phone and text) connections we would have to find another solution if we wanted 5G.
    The Soc doesn't care how the data got to it via the cellular radios or the wifi ones. The system is modualized.
    Wifi Calling is enabled on many providers around the world -i've never used it, but it is possible, even on BB10's I'm told. So you should in theory be able to get your cellular SMS/MMS and voice even if the 2nd last hop on the network is the 5g to Wifi conversion over the last 2-3 feet route to your smartphone (but then again there's always BBM for much of that sms/mms ;-).

A battery powered Wifi to 5g external "modem-to-modem" device could possibly fit in a package the size of a current "medium sized portable chargers" for smartphones, maybe even smartphone sized. Don't forget the Wifi in this case is unrestricted by what you think of as your local internet providers bandwidth limitations. I'm guessing an unbridled wifi radio (wifi-n=600MB/s or ac 1000Mb/s+ (1.0-3.0+ GB/s ??) ) might be near as fast as handling the straight 5g (490Mb/s - 1.4GB/s ??) once it rolls out on mass.
    Assuming those are peak but not sustained speeds.

Frankly I agree somewhat, why do you need 5g soley for 1 smartphone? The phones, any phone can't use the full speed of it anyways, a bunch of devices in the home office, okay maybe.(Movie downloads? maybe, VR-probably, online gaming? sure - but the kids are back to their dedicated gaming devices for the most part after toying with the smartphones for their serious gaming) Maybe wifi/5g portable modem would be good enough for both your bb10 and your tablet/laptop on the go. Newer laptops may get 5g, but there's a whole whack of older ones that don't.

QNX operating and securing the device, I could see that. I don't see the need for complicated hardware though, data into the 5g chip and radio, then out to the wifi chip and radio, with some basic cpu for small memory for config params and driver updates. (Maybe Qualcomm or Linksys/Netgear etc and the like will brand a secure BlackBerry device in this segment).
    02-20-19 08:46 PM
    Who's the hardware guy at BB these days anyways?
    There are none.

BTW, how many LTE/wifi dongles do you see around for 2G/3G smartphones?

People will always be lining up to buy the next thing anyway.

The 23 people still using BB10 2-5 years from now won't provide sufficient (any) ROI.
    Last edited by conite; 02-20-19 at 09:06 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-20-19 08:55 PM
    There are none.

BTW, how many LTE/wifi dongles do you see around for 2G/3G smartphones?

People will always be lining up to buy the next thing anyway.

The 23 people still using BB10 2-5 years from now won't provide sufficient (any) ROI.
    But there are tons of wifi-only devices that could use it, hundreds of millions of smartphones (not just bb10) ....tablets,taptops (oops laptops, but the new name I just called it, sounds cute ;-),desktops, gaming boxes, industrial devices......tons...millions, hundreds of millions.
    02-20-19 09:13 PM
    But there are tons of wifi-only devices that could use it, hundreds of millions of smartphones (not just bb10) ....tablets,taptops,desktops....tons...millions, hundreds of millions.
    So how has that worked out for past 2G/3G devices?

Hint: it's cheaper to buy a $60 LTE device.
    02-20-19 09:14 PM
    But there are tons of wifi-only devices that could use it, hundreds of millions of smartphones (not just bb10) ....tablets,taptops (oops laptops, but the new name I just called it, sounds cute ;-),desktops, gaming boxes, industrial devices......tons...millions, hundreds of millions.

But sure this is probably netgear or linksys or cisco's field rather than blackberry's, but a QNX hardened device could be branded BlackBerry. But maybe could have been Nortel's :-)
    02-20-19 09:16 PM
    Why not use a mobile hotspot?? Those exist. I carry one in my backpack in a lot of countries so that my family and I can get online without paying roaming on each device or having to deal with SIMs.

There are 5G ones coming soon or maybe already available in South Korea.
    02-20-19 09:26 PM
    So how has that worked out for past 2G/3G devices?

Hint: it's cheaper to buy a $60 LTE device.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b235283f8b.jpg
    LOL.. I do appreciate humour of your posting.
    You mean this phone? Review: "Although I understood that the phone only had 1gb of RAM when I bought it, I was very disappointed. The phone can not run anything. I disabled all apps with the exception of the system required apps and using the camera, chrome or anything else would freeze it up. Not recommended at all. This is the second Blu phone and the first was a gem, this model is a waste, shouldn’t even be on the market"

I'll pass thanks!

So that could serve as a daylong BlackBerry secured hotspot (is it even capable?) for my bb10 blackberry hub? and maybe my laptop too? Well if I worked 2-4 hours a day, you might be right! Would it pass my calls and texts straight to the bb10? Lol. 4G-LTE is already available on BB10 phones. Maybe you're making the point that 5G while fast, in practicality won't be terribly faster than 4G-LTE initially (maybe only 2times as fast) - but heck who needs a text to appear in 0.001s second rather than 0.002 seconds? Maybe you're suggesting a BLU phone's android was more secure, and more private than the BB10 OS is still?
    02-20-19 09:39 PM
    LOL.. I do appreciate humour of your posting.
    You mean this phone? Review: "Although I understood that the phone only had 1gb of RAM when I bought it, I was very disappointed. The phone can not run anything. I disabled all apps with the exception of the system required apps and using the camera, chrome or anything else would freeze it up. Not recommended at all. This is the second Blu phone and the first was a gem, this model is a waste, shouldn’t even be on the market"

I'll pass thanks!

So that could serve as a daylong BlackBerry secured hotspot (is it even capable?) for my bb10 blackberry hub? and maybe my laptop too? Well if I worked 2-4 hours a day, you might be right! Would it pass my calls and texts straight to the bb10? Lol. 4G-LTE is already available on BB10 phones. Maybe you're making the point that 5G while fast, in practicality won't be terribly faster than 4G-LTE initially (maybe only 2times as fast) - but heck who needs a text to appear in 0.001s second rather than 0.002 seconds? Maybe you're suggesting a BLU phone's android was more secure, and more private than the BB10 OS is still?
    You're missing the point. Compare that to a 2011 3G phone.

It's the same analogy as your 5G idea for a 2014 4G phone.
    02-20-19 09:46 PM
    You're missing the point. Compare that to a 2011 3G phone.

It's the same analogy as your 5G idea for a 2014 4G phone.
    It get it, its a stop-gap...and stop gaps have limited lives...but 2-4years might be the sweet spot. Nowadays it seems all new smartphones are "stop-gaps". So that's probably why I missed your point. :_)

(I don't think I'll need 5g anytime soon, but someone might, and sure a bb10 will be slower than the latest, but a 5g carry that works for your phone or other device isn't bad, it isn't new, but it is device independent for the most part. I'm certain you are correct, most will just trade-in for the convenience and upgrade, but not everyone, especially if there is something they like about what they are currently carrying that overrides the need for the upgrades, at least in the short to medium term.).
    02-20-19 09:52 PM
    It get it, its a stop-gap...and stop gaps have limited lives...but 2-4years might be the sweet spot. Nowadays it seems all new smartphones are "stop-gaps". So that's probably why I missed your point. :_)
    Again, I'm not following.

You want to extend the life of a 2013 4G BB10 phone with a 5G WiFi thingy.

Apart from you and 19 others, who would want that in 2021, 2023, or 2026? Even with this dongle, your 2013 phone would be hopelessly obsolete in about 83 other ways (and so would most other 4G devices).

Frankly, 4G data speeds is probably the most future-proof feature of a 4G device.
    Last edited by conite; 02-20-19 at 10:06 PM.
    02-20-19 09:55 PM
    Again, I'm not following.

You want to extend the life of a 2013 4G BB10 phone with a 5G WiFi thingy.

Apart from you and 19 others, who would want that in 2021, 2023, or 2026? Even with this dongle, your 2013 phone would be hopelessly obsolete in about 83 other ways (and so would most other 4G devices).

Frankly, 4G data speeds is probably the most future-proof feature of a 4G device.
    Okay fair enough, 4g when it behaves well, is probably good enough for most, if not all things on a single device, single user use....I'm thinking of those who "must-have" a bit more throughput on a more constrained budget. Even on BBM android, not dishing out another grand for an upgraded android or other 5g phone is attactive. Also on multiple simultaneous device use, I'm thinking of a scope beyond just the personal phone.
    BB10? Yes some other feature obsolecences are happening, though core uses for many are still fine. I guess I'll be late to the table for VR-cellular 3-d video conference calling, stars wars style. Beam me up once they've got it all worked out will ya.
    02-20-19 10:29 PM
    Okay fair enough, 4g when it behaves well, is probably good enough for most, if not all things on a single device, single user use....I'm thinking of those who "must-have" a bit more throughput on a more constrained budget (even on BBM android not dishing out another grand for an upgraded android or other 5g phone is attactive) - or multiple simultaneous device use, and I'm thinking of a scope beyond just the personal phone use itself. Yes some other feature obsolecences are happening, though core uses for many are still fine. ( I guess I'll be late to the table for VR-cellular 3-d video conference calling, stars wars style.)
    OK. I hear you.

But I would imagine your extreme outlier status precludes a reasonable business case for you.
    02-20-19 10:31 PM
    OK. I hear you.

But I would imagine your extreme outlier status precludes a reasonable business case for you.
    Hmmm here's just one....
    Last provincial elections in Ontario those 4g/LTE modems were a snap to set up a secure hybrid-electronic/paper polling station in a very public space with other laptop and cell users all about, and allowing the laptops and cells to connect via wifi. Ad-hoc office style. Don't know how great the security on them was, but it might not hurt if they were BlackBerry hardened (newer 5g/Wifi modems).

I am always encouraged by BlackBerry's lead when the pundits said it had 0% market share. For example 50million devices out of 7billion(probably more now) is 0.007% of the market...James Bond references unintended.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 02-21-19 at 05:00 AM.
    02-20-19 10:40 PM
    What is the advantage of 5G when your device is slower than molasses on a cold day? Seriously, 4G LTE is overkill at this point.
    02-21-19 05:05 AM
    50million devices
    Your estimate is off by 3 orders of magnitude.
    02-21-19 06:49 AM
    Hmmm here's just one....
    Last provincial elections in Ontario those 4g/LTE modems were a snap to set up a secure hybrid-electronic/paper polling station in a very public space with other laptop and cell users all about, and allowing the laptops and cells to connect via wifi. Ad-hoc office style. Don't know how great the security on them was, but it might not hurt if they were BlackBerry hardened (newer 5g/Wifi modems).

I am always encouraged by BlackBerry's lead when the pundits said it had 0% market share. For example 50million devices out of 7billion(probably more now) is 0.007% of the market...James Bond references unintended.
    BlackBerry isn't into networking security like that. Their current security business is very different from what you are wanting - they don't really do networking. https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/products/all-products
    What 50 million devices are you talking about?

I do think 5G is going to be awhile... especially in some markets. But don't see trying to keep using 10 year old hardware with it. As other components will be too slow to utilize those speeds. Kinda like trying to use a 5400 RPM spinning disk in a brand new gaming system.
    app_Developer and ppeters914 like this.
    02-21-19 07:39 AM

Thereby not making a BB10 and other current devices obsolete. At first I thought a 5g to usb dongle, but heck wifi would work as well maybe the size of a thumbdrive? or maybe bigger if we pair it with a battery. So a two carry would be 1 phone and 1 5g reciever?
    I have no illusions about 5G performance or BlackBerry funding anything like this, but with a 5G hotspot and SIP.FM, you could use a VOIP provider with a BB10 device. My VOIP account has free SMS via email as well, so if that's all you needed, your BB10 device might carry on a little longer. In fact, you could do the same thing with a BBOS device, the Join VOIP app, and LogicMail.

...until certificate issues take you out. Then it's really all over.
    02-21-19 08:37 AM
    I have no illusions about 5G performance or BlackBerry funding anything like this, but with a 5G hotspot and SIP.FM, you could use a VOIP provider with a BB10 device. My VOIP account has free SMS via email as well, so if that's all you needed, your BB10 device might carry on a little longer. In fact, you could do the same thing with a BBOS device, the Join VOIP app, and LogicMail.

Think that 5G is going to bring changes to how carrier's do things.

Yes a 5G MiFi device will provide access for older devices that have fast enough hardware to utilize the connection. (While BB10 devices have AC cable WiFi... doesn't mean it will reach those speeds with it's other components).

What I don't expect is to see plans for MiFI or home/business routers being as cheap as their LTE counterparts. Right now Verizon's first device is Inseego’s 5G mobile hotspot, which is powered by a Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform and the Snapdragon X50 5G modem. I doubt they'll be giving those away very cheap, nor will it be the same as say my current $25 plan..... I here here talk of $70 for MiFi and Routers plans (starting out - Panama City, FL is suppose to be Verizon next 5G City so there has been some talk here). If you are on a carrier that charges more then $25-$30 for a MiFI Plan now... expect your rates to see the same increase.

You'll see more controls on Smartphone hotspots too... if you don't already have limits on how much data you can utilize.

That said... Hotspots don't work well with VOIP Systems, unless you get your Carrier to provide a static IP Address, which is a small fortune (at least with Verizon). I know because a lot of business here lost wired intent connections for months....
    02-21-19 10:43 AM

There's an interesting thought. I'll put it on my (very) long-term BB10 projects list. Might also be worth testing on the 4G end in the meantime...I've checked out VoIP providers for BB10 but haven't found any that are still around, particularly with native apps...
    02-21-19 12:56 PM
    I don't know where you are, but I'm with VOIP.ms and the service is very good in North America (they have local servers all over Canada and the U.S.).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-21-19 01:20 PM
    I don't know where you are, but I'm with VOIP.ms and the service is very good in North America (they have local servers all over Canada and the U.S.).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    That's an excellent service. I use that for my home phone.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    02-21-19 01:55 PM
62 123