LOL Whatsapp crisis
    09-24-16 10:03 AM
    The Android version will work. The only way it will not work is if it will require the Google services and even in that case maybe it will be possible to patch it.
    So once again the Android version will work as long as we have the ART.
    The Android version should work IF WhatsApp allows BlackBerry 10 devices to connect to its servers after December 31.
    If WhatsApp doesn't allow BB10 devices to connect, it wont' work.
    The developer has an opinion and has said different things at different times, but the developer does not speak for WhatsApp and he does not determine WhatsApp policies.
    Unless something definitive comes directly from WhatsApp, we will have to wait until January 01, 2017 to find out for sure.
    Vistaus and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    09-24-16 10:41 AM
    The Android version should work IF WhatsApp allows BlackBerry 10 devices to connect to its servers after December 31.
    If WhatsApp doesn't allow BB10 devices to connect, it wont' work.
    The developer has an opinion and has said different things at different times, but the developer does not speak for WhatsApp and he does not determine WhatsApp policies.
    Unless something definitive comes directly from WhatsApp, we will have to wait until January 01, 2017 to find out for sure.
    So all the other Android messaging apps have special permisions for BlackBerry 10 devices to connect to their servers? For example Viber, Skype and other.
    From my understanding the ART is an sandboxed Android kernel, so BlackBerry 10 shouldn't need permisions to connect to Whatsapp servers. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not familiar with all the app developing things.
    Just to be clear, when did Whatsapp declare they are going to block BlackBerry 10 devices? What I know is that they will not continue supporting the BlackBerry 10 OS, so they are not going to develop further the app for BlackBerry 10. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 11:00 AM
    Just to be clear, when did Whatsapp declare they are going to block BlackBerry 10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    Right here...

WhatsApp ... the verdict?-img_20160806_145409_edit.png

Posted via CB10 on my PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    Uzi likes this.
    09-24-16 12:07 PM
    Right here... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160806_145409_edit.png 
Views:	774 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	408934
    While we can't be entirely sure that it means exactly what it says, it doesn't mention any thing about app versions.
    It does say that "you won't be able to use WhatsApp on this phone." and it when it says WhatsApp won't support "it", it refers to "this phone".

Maybe they don't really mean what they say, but that is what they are saying.
    09-24-16 01:45 PM
    While we can't be entirely sure that it means exactly what it says, it doesn't mention any thing about app versions.
    It does say that "you won't be able to use WhatsApp on this phone." and it when it says WhatsApp won't support "it", it refers to "this phone".

Maybe they don't really mean what they say, but that is what they are saying.
    I think it is what it is.... Whatsapp will NOT be making their service work on BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10 on my PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    09-24-16 02:48 PM
    Guys, it's simple. WhatsApp doesn't track what phone you're using, but the client you do use: the BB 10 version will stop working, while the (terribly emulated) Android versions will work (as already stated by devs, but it was obvious).
    The problem about the apk is: does it work? Yes. Does it work decently? Not really. Will it be supported for a long time? Yes, but it could easily stop working out of the blue, just like the Facebook apk. You should just consider it a temporary fix.
    I'm sure all these threads won't stop clone-threads from appearing, though.
    Last edited by Power Mac; 09-28-16 at 02:29 AM.
    dkonigsberg_wa likes this.
    09-24-16 03:46 PM
    Here's what WhatsApp has to say about the information they collect when you connect to their servers:

Device and Connection Information.
    We collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our Services. This includes information such as hardware model, operating system information, browser information, IP address, mobile network information including phone number, and device identifiers.

As for the on-going availability of their services:
    We may discontinue some or all of our Services, including certain features and the support for certain devices and platforms, at any time.

https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/#priv...ion-we-collect
    09-24-16 04:03 PM
    BTW, this WA has been data mining my conversations with my friends.

For example, last night I was cautioning a buddy by letting him know that CENTRUM supplements are highly suspected of causing liver, kidney and bile duct cancer.

This morning I fire up my FB account and sure enough, I see this in my feed:

WhatsApp ... the verdict?-img_20160924_140727.png

 Q10 SQN100-5/10.3.2.2789 T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling
    moyah8 likes this.
    09-24-16 06:39 PM
    Since the BlackBerry version of WA does not allow you to opt out of data mining and stealing plus sharing your info, will deleting it and installing an Android version allow me to opt out of this privacy invasion?

09-24-16 06:41 PM
    I have been telling at many places, including Twitter, that it isn't fair from Whatsapp and facebook that they allowed opt-out option only for the new users.

And what about billion of us who have an account at Whatsapp for years?!

I understand that they have one boss, and that they are keeping their services free on this way, but at least they need to have an option for all accounts untill the end of September.

Also, this "free" term is in this case false.......... We need to sell them our privacy because of not paying anything. It's better, like I have been reporting to facebook already, to make some premium membership for us who are willing to pay, just to have some extra options in matter of privacy etc. This is obvious stealing our informations.
    09-24-16 06:49 PM
    BTW, this WA has been data mining my conversations with my friends.

For example, last night I was cautioning a buddy by letting him know that CENTRUM supplements are highly suspected of causing liver, kidney and bile duct cancer.

This morning I fire up my FB account and sure enough, I see this in my feed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160924_140727.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	408956

Hope that the mainstream finally figures out that they are being raped by Facebook and move on, It can go quicker than you think.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    09-24-16 07:23 PM
    This is obvious stealing our informations.
    It isn't stealing. You are agreeing to let them use your information by agreeing to their TOS and continuing to use the app. No one is making you - the choice is yours.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-24-16 07:26 PM
    Yes, agree Troy. I understand. What a fool I am. I remember time when I was using IRC. Those were the best chats 😉
    09-24-16 08:21 PM
    No free lunch in this world so either whatsapp or facebook are not free, they collect some data and sell them somewhere, don't know where, I use whatsapp but after December 31 I will hang with friends on Telegram or Viber.I love my BlackBerry Passport

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    09-24-16 08:53 PM
    There is an alternative to WhatsApp !
    https://telegram.org/
    I started with WhatsApp from its young beginnings very early 2010, the news of FB acquiring them concerned me and I recognized it as possibly the beginning of the end, FB influence over WhatsApp is disappointing they can't be loyal to us their users I see no need to stick with WhatsApp.
    Though I have purchased a Dtek50 I'm still using my Z10, I've found a comparable replacement for WhatsApp in switching to the unofficial version offered in BlackBerry World of Telegram.
    It's called 'Social Telegram' I also downloaded 'Pintagram' I've found Social Telegram to run the smoothest.
    It has the identical layout of WhatsApp,
    Phone number with country code registration group messaging, encryption options, timed messages while chatting in 'secert' mode, stickers, Gif capability tho that part still needs work.
    There is a Web version also of Telegram that you can access direct from your browser.
    When I make the full switch over to the Dtek50 I will not be installing WhatsApp (or Facebook)
    Telegram will be my new chat go to.

Posted via CCB10
    Last edited by SugaRugby; 09-24-16 at 09:48 PM.
    09-24-16 09:15 PM
    If WhatsApp does not serve OS10
    Bbm serves all phones. Just tell your contacts to download bbm. My contacts allredy did that and love bbm

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus and moyah8 like this.
    09-24-16 11:04 PM
    Yes, agree Troy. I understand. What a fool I am. I remember time when I was using IRC. Those were the best chats 😉
    IRC isn't the 'hot new thing' anymore but it's far, far from dead so feel free to go back

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red) <3
    Vladislavt likes this.
    09-24-16 11:51 PM
    I love BBM... BBM is far superior to any messaging system, but the problem is that a messaging system is only as good as the following it has. I have succeeded in getting my closest contacts to put BBM on their phones, but unfortunately, a lot of people refuse. I personally don't use whatsApp, I find it isn't common at all in North America and have no need for it. But my mom depends on it to speak to contacts in Europe and South America, where they live by it and its all they use, and you cant convince 200 people to get BBM... so you are left with being forced to use WhatsApp.
    09-25-16 12:58 AM
    I love BBM... BBM is far superior to any messaging system, but the problem is that a messaging system is only as good as the following it has. I have succeeded in getting my closest contacts to put BBM on their phones, but unfortunately, a lot of people refuse. I personally don't use whatsApp, I find it isn't common at all in North America and have no need for it. But my mom depends on it to speak to contacts in Europe and South America, where they live by it and its all they use, and you cant convince 200 people to get BBM... so you are left with being forced to use WhatsApp.
    Simple, just use both of them. But actually whatsapp will perform much better/faster on your android phone.
    09-25-16 05:02 AM
    I've preferred telegram which is far better than any other messaging client.
    I like the wapp ui of BlackBerry but not android when I installed wapp on my Passport which is of android version I hated the UI as its not meant for BlackBerry. I ve managed to convert all my family and friends to use telegram.

 BlackBerry Passport 
    09-25-16 05:13 AM
    Looks like a 'support bb10' storm is coming.
    We r still a good 3 months away from the D day, who knows the storm may take the form of a tsunami & ......

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-16 06:17 AM
    It isn't stealing. You are agreeing to let them use your information by agreeing to their TOS and continuing to use the app. No one is making you - the choice is yours.
    Absolutely - and thank you for pointing out the obvious (again).
    For some reason many people believe that they are entitled to get something for nothing (eg a FREE high quality app backed up by a lot of expensive infrastructure and ongoing support/development) - the world usually doesn't work this way.... eg if it is FREE in terms of no financial payment, there will be likely be some other cost (eg your Data, your Goodwill).
    09-25-16 09:36 AM
    Absolutely - and thank you for pointing out the obvious (again).
    For some reason many people believe that they are entitled to get something for nothing (eg a FREE high quality app backed up by a lot of expensive infrastructure and ongoing support/development) - the world usually doesn't work this way.... eg if it is FREE in terms of no financial payment, there will be likely be some other cost (eg your Data, your Goodwill).
    As the wise man said - nothing in the world is for free, even the last rites of the dead need payment.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BigAl_BB9900 and Vistaus like this.
    09-25-16 09:42 AM
    The message given by Whatsapp dropping support for BB10 devices end 2016 is rather plain and simple. The android app running under BB10 should also cease to work because Whatsapp has your device information, period.

Of course you can still look at this in 10 different ways but make no mistake about what is crystal clear.
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-25-16 10:23 AM
92 1234