Using WhatsApp requires providing your mobile phone # to Facebook and anyone you connect with on WhatsApp. That's not a viable model for me or my business.

If you don't care about privacy or security, WhatsApp has great functionality for a social app, so I get why it's successful.
    Privacy and security are not that simple. Or that binary.

For example, if you use the normal free BBM, then you don't have to share your phone number, but on the other hand BB can read each and every one of your messages. So can anyone who has the one global key that they've used for how many years now? And for how many billions of messages?

That's not secure.
    JeepBB and deadcowboy like this.
    07-15-16 03:17 PM
    Privacy and security are not that simple. Or that binary.

For example, if you use the normal free BBM, then you don't have to share your phone number, but on the other hand BB can read each and every one of your messages. So can anyone who has the one global key that they've used for how many years now? And for how many billions of messages?

That's not secure.
    Seriously this. BlackBerry doesn't deserve success if they can't get with the times (again). And I'm a shareholder!
    07-15-16 11:56 PM
    I guess we will be forced to force our friends and family to adopt BBM then.

Posted via CB10
    That's what am thinking
    08-30-16 10:52 AM
    Sad times ahead!

However, in my opinion, the types of people who really value privacy and security are smart enough not to use whatsapp, nor do they have a facebook account, instagram etc. So for that very few number of said people, who also happen to own a BB device, this news will make not a jot of difference to them.
    09-02-16 08:49 AM
    oddly in my circle whatsapp has been fading away. I have a few friends in Dominican Republic and Aruba using ultra low cost Android devices that run very old versions of android. They are all losing Whatsapp as well and started using other chat clients instead. I have only 1 person left that exclusively uses whatsapp actually. Seems facebook messenger has become the international choice instead.
    09-02-16 09:35 AM
    I don't know what to do. It is the way my 5 teenage and adult children communicate with each other and me (I am the only blackberry user amongst us). I feel like I am being asked to choose between the family/love and continuing to use a blackberry (which I just use for email and don't use a touch screen).
    Surely some kind of physical device you plug into the blackberry or work around or something could be devised before families are divided. Or they whatsapp to you somewhere else like your PC and that sends the message to the blackberry? I suspect not.
    09-04-16 08:37 AM
    There are two ways: if you have a BlackBerry 0S10 device like a Passport or Q10, you can try installing Whatsapp for Android in your device, but it probably will be plenty of bugs. The other way is buying a new BlackBerry Android Device like Priv or Tek50. In the other hand, don't worry about choosing between love or any other thing, when is real, love always find the way!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 09:04 AM
    I don't know what to do. It is the way my 5 teenage and adult children communicate with each other and me (I am the only blackberry user amongst us). I feel like I am being asked to choose between the family/love and continuing to use a blackberry (which I just use for email and don't use a touch screen).
    Surely some kind of physical device you plug into the blackberry or work around or something could be devised before families are divided. Or they whatsapp to you somewhere else like your PC and that sends the message to the blackberry? I suspect not.
    You're the parent, lay down the law and tell them how YOU want them to contact you and that it's fine with you if you only see them at Christmas time.

Good lord, it's time for parents to stand up to their children!

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    09-04-16 11:50 AM
    Install BBM on your children's phone. You all can continue to communicate using a better platform. Also content send using BBM will not be stored on a Facebook related company server. A win win situation!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-16 12:16 PM
    You could always fall back to old school SMS as a last resort.

*shudder*

Not ideal, but still cross platform.
    09-04-16 04:09 PM
    You could always fall back to old school SMS as a last resort.

*shudder*

Not ideal, but still cross platform.
    ...and good old MMS for sending photos...[shudder]

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    shabbs likes this.
    09-05-16 04:25 AM
    If BlackBerry ever finds a way to increase their revenue by adding BBM contacts via phone numbers they would do it. We, their customers should know this by now. They have lost their core, the company is investor driven and they only care to get as much money back as possible.
    BBM "security" is just a selling point that does not work at all.
    With WhatsApp you get encrypted messages. You can easily opt out of "last seen", "online" status and "sending your number to facebook". Personally I have already sent my number to facebook so I can retrieve my account in case of troubles.

Honestly, I believe WhatsApp has done more for BlackBerry users than BlackBerry themselves by offering calls to all platforms and a desktop app that is not "discontinued".

So lets be frank... WhatsApp is in every way superior to BBM, if you don't want to use WhatsApp that's fine use whatever you want but please don't say BBM is better.
    MoonSunStars and Sir Reaper like this.
    09-05-16 05:14 AM
    ...and good old MMS for sending photos...[shudder]
    Good times... good times... heh heh.
    09-05-16 07:14 AM
    They said fb. Would stop working after june... we'd have to update to the Web link to continue using it...but mine works just fine
    I think my whatsapp will continue to work

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 09:34 AM
    They said fb. Would stop working after june... we'd have to update to the Web link to continue using it...but mine works just fine
    I think my whatsapp will continue to work

Posted via CB10
    Older versions of WhatsApp expire after a while,

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12564368
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-05-16 10:33 AM
    So with that said, I think BB10 phones will end up becoming like a classic / vintage car. Nice to admire and use from time to time. Also great conversation pieces, but not ideal for everyday use.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DEV560 likes this.
    09-05-16 01:18 PM
    Am I wrong or whatsapp is already starting to give some troubles
    12-20-16 08:46 AM
    Disa can be a solution but is slow and clumsy.

 Q10 PASSPORT Z30 
    To speed up the app, in Settings > General > Activate Foreground
    12-20-16 03:14 PM
    Shall we do a petition so what's app should carry on doing it for people like us who use it on bb os 10.

It is android still after all.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-16 10:18 PM
    Shall we do a petition
    Internet petitions don't work.
    12-20-16 10:24 PM
    Hi, I would think that Money could help them thinking about it.... 1 $/year or 1 EUR/year (as they initially tried) per BB10 user and the programmer is paid for the next year. I would do so, it is definitly worth it. The only thing is, IS BB10 still capable of handling all the new Features if BlackBerry will not enhance this OS very much as we know.
    12-21-16 02:18 AM
  22. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Dont worry , there is WA Apk

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 03:04 AM
    How can WhatsApp support BlackBerry devices when BlackBerry don't support BlackBerry devices?? Lol...!

Posted via CB10
    DEV560 and Rodrigo Lourenco like this.
    12-21-16 06:04 AM
    It is possible an update of bb10 in a way that supports whatsapp?
    12-26-16 09:17 AM
    It is possible an update of bb10 in a way that supports whatsapp?
    No.
    12-26-16 09:40 AM
405 ... 14151617