BBM lacks many features that Whatsapp has and the main issue with BBM that it is not linked to your number which makes a lot of people not download it or use it whereas Whatsapp, Telegram, imo and others are linked to your number as is text messaging. In this side of the world, Whatsapp messages are even used officially by government entities to send official letters and one can be prosecuted or sued for their Whatsapp messages which also can be used as evidence or proof. The same isn't true for BBM as for most of the time, you don't even know who really is on the other side and you can use BBM with a fake email account whereas Whatsapp and others are linked to a number that is registered to a real person or entity with a real address and some sort of ID.

Posted via CB10
    I find it rather important NOT to give away my phone number to any sort of fancy company like FB, WA and what not, my phone number is my own business!
    I find it much more continence using a email address, or even better an alias-email only for using such a social network service.
    Actually that's one important reason why I absolut get no junk and spam cold calls at all, because I keep my phone number as privat as possible.

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    03-04-16 10:46 AM
    I am happy with BBM as it does not allow any person to send me unpleasant msg at least one time until I accept his invitation. Any msg can be forwarded to anyone in WA which is not suitable for official letter. After removing the sim, if you know the authentication code (after inserting it into another set) you can still access your account in WA. This is not a good sign of security.

In BBM, anyone can send you a PIN message. Official letters sent via Whatsapp intentionally to third-parties or unintended recipients can be lawful depending what it is (ie classified or private or public domain...etc). Like I said you can be prosecuted or liable for your usage of Whatsapp messages because Whatsapp is linked to your number. Many cases as such have been heard in courts.

Regarding authentication, every time you download Whatsapp, it requests verification automatically via the cellular network and doesn't have 2step verification like Gmail or Twitter or Facebook so I don't understand how you can get authentication code as it doesn't ask it and some cases it calls you on your number to verify so the number is verified and so is your usage.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 10:47 AM
    I find it rather important NOT to give away my phone number to any sort of fancy company like FB, WA and what not, my phone number is my own business!
    I find it much more continence using a email address, or even better an alias-email only for using such a social network service.
    Actually that's one important reason why I absolut get no junk and spam cold calls at all, because I keep my phone number as privat as possible.

I can completely understand how uncomfortable it's to give ones phone number as you said it is very private and your preference of communication with anyone is understandable but if everyone did just email people be it from your personal or business or alias email we wouldn't have this conversation or thread why Whatsapp is stopping support for BB10 as there are billions using Whatsapp which is associated to a number and not an email.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 11:03 AM
    When it comes to Group chats, If any of your WhatsApp Contacts add you to a group having other unknown people, everyone in the group will immediately have access to your phone number, even if you don�t want to share it with them. If you don�t wish to join in a group on WhatsApp, you have to manually leave it; otherwise, you�ll keep receiving group messages � which could become really frustrating at times.

03-04-16 11:20 AM
    Same is true for BBM group and your PIN. Also, you can leave a group or get kicked out which is the same in Whatsapp. Once, you download Whatsapp and associate your number, anyone in the world who has Whatsapp can know your number. I have 4 groups in BBM and 4 in Whatsapp and 3 Telegram groups and I know notifications can be hectic especially from Whatsapp groups with some members from different groups sending the same redundant messages and if you don't have SD or extra paid up Apple Cloud storage, you will end up running out of memory and the phone keeps acting up. I find that the most annoying about Whatsapp and having to delete the same repeated media manually. However, I can overlook this for the many other benefits of Whatsapp of connecting with everybody and being in the loop.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 11:34 AM

This is hopelessly stupid, but it would be wasting my time to explain why. Just be real and use your brain.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 05:58 PM

Once, you download Whatsapp and associate your number, anyone in the world who has Whatsapp can know your number.

Posted via CB10
    How?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 03:44 AM
    Maybe they're considering other popular IMs like Telegram. I mean here in Middle East, almost everybody who has Whatsapp has Telegram and also IMO. Actually I used Telegram a lot and for business we want to setup in Iran after lifting off the sanctions. It's fresh and got cross platform that went viral quickly here. It's also fast and reliable and has many features not found in Whatsapp like hiding number, sending documents and Telegram Channels which many businesses are using to advertise their products and there no ads in the Channels like BBM.

This is what I wrote about it in another thread:

"While there's really no real alternative to WhatsApp as it's the only IM that got so popular worldwide and in fact probably single-handedly replaced text messaging and perhaps cellular calling also soon and next up video calls, 4 months ago or so a friend sent me an invite to a new IM app which is called "Telegram" and I fortunately downloaded it and found out about 75% of my contacts were already in it. Like WhatsApp, Telegram is very popular here in Middle East and got a lot of traction lately and it provides almost the same features in messaging, sending video, photos and documents and group chats as WhatsApp. Moreover, in Telegram, for added security you can hide your number should you wish subscribe to Channels like in BBM which is very nice and the Channels actually are more active and are updated daily even hourly and there are many many of them. If anything can replace WhatsApp, it is Telegram!

The point I'm making here is that since WhatsApp is not going to support BB10 or just take out WhatsApp from BBW, why not just move to Telegram and give it a try as I'm sure many of your contacts are there already and you won't feel left out, you know what I mean haha. Sadly, there's no native "Telegram" app in BBW but there's a client for it:

Check out IM for Telegram in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59951054

Also, you can download Telegram Android app from 1 mobile market:

I found "Telegram" on 1Mobile http://www.1mobile.com/redirect/org.telegram.messenger

Or from other places

Telegram also has a support feed in Twitter in case anyone faces issues @smstelegram

Just trying to help and I don't work for Telegram"

Posted via CB10
    I just downloaded the Telegram client, although clearly an android-based app, it looks reliable and it can exchange pdf files, longer than 30 second videos and word processor files, that is all WhatsApp cannot do. So, as long as BlackBerry 10 will be compatible to Android 4, I will switch to Telegram if WhatsApp won't work anymor on BlackBerry 10. Specifically, the Russian developers have stated clearly that the Telegram platform also allows encryption, so as to avoid security breaches , that may happen in WhatsApp chat. This explain how, in March 2016, a good alternative to WhatsApp already exists. Rumors are circulating about BlackBerry should be about to negotiate with WhatsApp, i.e. Facebook, a way to maintain existing WhatsApp software on BlackBerry 10. As long as negotiations will be carried out, middle East and East Asia BlackBerry 10 uses should consider Telegram as the first alternative to WhatsApp messaging.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 03:51 AM
    This is why BB10 was considered "unable" to support future Whatsapp.... it had to do with content push and pull (apart from basic whatsapp messaging & gallery access). Revenue generation. Yes BB10 is capable as an OS to support future whatsapp releases, but what BB10 won't allow is something like this. Perhaps the tech guru's can explain?

WhatsApp support for BB10 will be discontinued-img_20160305_161137.jpg
    Calvin8181 likes this.
    03-05-16 04:51 AM
    There was a time where people would seriously disagree with that statement.

Anyway, what kind of OS would have the lion's share of their communication apps left up to literally one guy? Instagram, Twitter (or is that one dead?), Facebook, Whatsapp...
    That is what they did with the contest and the results were just pathetic. Yes we can all question how good or reputable it can be, I agree with that. My point was that we have BB10 developers that could have done a terrific job creating a nice Telegram client for us, not the horrible ones available now. Nemory was an example. There are many good ones to develop it! :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 05:56 AM
    the Russian developers have stated clearly that the Telegram platform also allows encryption, so as to avoid security breaches , that may happen in WhatsApp chat.
    Posted via CB10
    Just a warning here, Telegram doesn't use end-to-end encryption by default, except for secret chats.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 06:09 AM
    How?

Posted via CB10
    You don't have Whatsapp, do you?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 06:34 AM
    You don't have Whatsapp, do you?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I do....So I am really interested in your answer. I of yet was not aware that people who do not have my telephone number, and are not part of a group I am also in can get my phone number.

So, again...how?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 07:43 AM
    Just a warning here, Telegram doesn't use end-to-end encryption by default, except for secret chats.

Posted via CB10
    It's right, I forgot to explain, you can have secreted your conversation on Telegram, but you need to set it

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 08:01 AM
    Yes I do....So I am really interested in your answer. I of yet was not aware that people who do not have my telephone number, and are not part of a group I am also in can get my phone number.

So, again...how?

Posted via CB10
    Anyone who has whatsapp can add you as a contact if they know your number somehow and connect with you, see your profile or your last seen, if you have them as everyone, even if you don't have their number which is what I meant to say and anyone who doesn't have your number it will be hard for them to connect via whatsapp.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-05-16 11:44 AM
    Once, you download Whatsapp and associate your number, anyone in the world who has Whatsapp can know your number.
    Anyone who has whatsapp can add you as a contact if they know your number somehow and connect with you, see your profile or your last seen, if you have them as everyone, even if you don't have their number which is what I meant to say and anyone who doesn't have your number it will be hard for them to connect via whatsapp.
    Earlier you suggested anyone could find out your number. Now you are saying they'd have to know your number.

I'm confused. Which is it?
    Ronindan and hplovecraft like this.
    03-05-16 03:12 PM

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Aha..... so your statement went from 'everyone in the world who has whatsapp can seen my number ' to: if they have my number already they can see me on whatsapp (which by the way is how WA works).

Posted via CB10
    Ronindan and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-16 04:55 PM
    When, because so far, I still functioning well, both from 'Google Play' or 'BlackBerry World'

WhatsApp support for BB10 will be discontinued-whatsapp-still-support-my-bb.jpg

Z10/STL100-2/SR 10.3.2.2836
    03-06-16 08:23 AM
    Earlier you suggested anyone could find out your number. Now you are saying they'd have to know your number.

I'm confused. Which is it?
    Aha..... so your statement went from 'everyone in the world who has whatsapp can seen my number ' to: if they have my number already they can see me on whatsapp (which by the way is how WA works).

Posted via CB10
    If they know your number somehow and I was wrong in writing anyone who doesn't as I was trying to refer to people who you block and can connect with you or see last seen and so on from another number but that's my bad and I'm sorry for it.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 02:12 PM
    So I keep hearing about this Telegram app on android, is this the next new buzz. Maybe they are desperate enough to develop for BlackBerry lol. We should write them. All my tech podcasts are talking about it. Perhaps they need a group of people that are so desperate that they will jump on board by the masses lol. I think I know a group like that that just became that desperate lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 07:57 PM
    So I keep hearing about this Telegram app on android, is this the next new buzz. Maybe they are desperate enough to develop for BlackBerry lol. We should write them. All my tech podcasts are talking about it. Perhaps they need a group of people that are so desperate that they will jump on board by the masses lol. I think I know a group like that that just became that desperate lol.
    Telegram's APIs are open to 3rd party developers. https://core.telegram.org/api

So anyone can write a Telegram app for BB10. Telegram even paid out $50k to BB10 developers to try. Telegram BlackBerry 10 $50,000 app contest winners announced | CrackBerry.com

It looks as if most of the apps they got were rudimentary or incomplete. One was just a wrapper to the website?! Easy $5k I guess.
    03-06-16 08:48 PM
    Telegram's APIs are open to 3rd party developers. https://core.telegram.org/api

So anyone can write a Telegram app for BB10. Telegram even paid out $50k to BB10 developers to try. Telegram BlackBerry 10 $50,000 app contest winners announced | CrackBerry.com

It looks as if most of the apps they got were rudimentary or incomplete. One was just a wrapper to the website?! Easy $5k I guess.
    The results of the 50k contest were / are just horrible. I have no idea why no one just develops a nice and fast Telegram client for BB10. Sad

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 06:20 AM
    So sad that BlackBerry is ending here for me
    03-09-16 08:37 PM
    This is why BB10 was considered "unable" to support future Whatsapp.... it had to do with content push and pull (apart from basic whatsapp messaging & gallery access). Revenue generation. Yes BB10 is capable as an OS to support future whatsapp releases, but what BB10 won't allow is something like this. Perhaps the tech guru's can explain?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160305_161137.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	393241
    I knew it. They are going Snapchat crap kind of route. Didn't really expect much from FB either.

You know whats the irony here? That BBM was the pioneer in doing that with the Channels but they were never able to figure out how to set it up properly.
    03-10-16 06:55 AM
    This shows our priority and how heavily we rely on just one app that I find many users willing to switch to android. I'm a new BB10 user and recently bought my BlackBerry Passport. Tbh the best OS Iev tried after Sailfish and Maemo. The apps by devs are amazing and has many extended features unlike android. I find the possibility that many devs might try to build a whatsapp client for BB10 and I'd be glad to buy it as well. But just to get a new phone for an app, not a wise decision. I stick to BlackBerry for a couple of years more. :-)

Posted via CB10
    FaceBook & WhatsApp have clear criteria, not to allow third-party clients for WhatsApp for any platform. So, BB 10 OS will not get client-run WhatsApp. But BB has apparently started to spice-up, make delightful new version of their BBM for BB 10 devices. Though, I don't think it will help much. Users will be switching to Android version of WhatsApp on their BB 10 devices.
    03-10-16 07:47 AM
405 ... 910111213 ...