I'll ask again: does it have to stay in an active frame to receive messages and provide notifications?
    I guess you'll never have your answer
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-27-16 03:10 PM
    I guess you'll never have your answer
    Doomed to wander the universe wondering...
    Alain_A, skinnymike1 and JeepBB like this.
    02-27-16 03:14 PM
    Doomed to wander the universe wondering...
    why do you need to know anyway?
    02-27-16 03:17 PM
    I'll ask again: does it have to stay in an active frame to receive messages and provide notifications?
    Although I don't use it, I would doubt it.

Kik and Instagram get message notifications without an active frame.

The real problem will be, as others have indicated, when WhatsApp requires Kitkat and above.
    02-27-16 03:27 PM
    I would have to wounder if the app will side load, so then nothing changes. I would think as long as android works on OS 10 then no issues at all. One other thought, since they are dropping support for the oldest Android platforms, I would think we have a long way to go.........if not then I guess its off to OS 9.288. Hate to think we would have to move over to Apple. I also am calling in our company rep from BB to explain this in detail. We are a large enough user to get some real news. I will update Monday or Tuesday after the meeting.
    02-27-16 03:45 PM
    Or Google play services

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-27-16 03:46 PM
    Kinda u understandable. Never used whatsapp though lol.

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    02-27-16 04:09 PM
    Next stop is BlackBerry discontinuing BBM for BB10.
    02-27-16 04:10 PM
    I agree with others that Whatsapp knows something we havent been told yet.
    Whatsapp's lifeblood is availability and they wouldnt do this for no good reason.
    At least Whatsapp are being up front and honest...

Still there's always the fallen giant, BBM, once king of IM, now a bloated mess because of a doomed and tragic attempt to turn it into a cash cow with stupid subscriptions and stickers
    02-27-16 04:16 PM
    Mmmmmh, WhatsApp still works in my BBerry 9900. So maybe it will still work for a time after being discontinued...
    02-27-16 04:19 PM
    Next stop is BlackBerry discontinuing BBM for BB10.
    Probably

I agree with others that Whatsapp knows something we havent been told yet.(Look that way)
    Whatsapp's lifeblood is availability and they wouldnt do this for no good reason.
    At least Whatsapp are being up front and honest...Yep

Still there's always the fallen giant, BBM, once king of IM, now a bloated mess because of a doomed and tragic attempt to turn it into a cash cow with stupid subscriptions and stickers
    agreed big time

Mmmmmh, WhatsApp still works in my BBerry 9900. So maybe it will still work for a time after being discontinued...
    through 2016 only
    02-27-16 04:37 PM
    I agree with others that Whatsapp knows something we havent been told yet.
    At least Whatsapp are being up front and honest...

From their blog post it sounds like it could just be down to SDK/API limitations hindering future features on these platforms,

While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future.
    blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices

BlackBerry hasn't roadmapped any updates to their SDK and from the beta thread it sounds like they may already be coming up against some limitations (call notification was mentioned a while back IIRC).
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-27-16 04:49 PM
    From their blog post it sounds like it could just be down to SDK/API limitations hindering future features on these platforms,

blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices

BlackBerry hasn't roadmapped any updates to their SDK and from the beta thread it sounds like they may already be coming up against some limitations (call notification was mentioned a while back IIRC).
    Which makes a lot of sense. Any app developer's ability to improve an app is ultimately limited by the API of the underlying platform. If the API of the underlying platform has become static and only maintained in token sense, there really is no more incentive to develop on such platform. Of course indie developers can continue to do so, but it is simply pointless for larger developer entities. The day BB10 truly died for all said and done I believe was the day BB stopped developing BB10 API and SDK further and the BB10 project manager being let go. Never mind the marketshare, lack of marketing, Chen's multitude of actions, etc.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-27-16 05:39 PM
    html FTW
    Beer just came through my nose. I hate you, usman_hidayat19!!! :P
    Uzi likes this.
    02-27-16 07:48 PM
    if whatsuck doesn't work for BB10, we can try the android version, don't be too dramatic!
    what is not clear is if will be disconnected from servers or just no updates.... don't forget when microsoft announced end of support for windows XP, didn't mean it was going to stop working
    If Blackberry dont care for it's own people why will WA server allow berry users to connect to their servers. It is clear support end means no access to WA servers.
    Even though the writing has been on the wall for a while but this news was just WOW, WA was perhaps only big time 3rd party developer who kept going on. To say that android version will work is probably alright at CB but out there when users are already flustered with Blackberry, they are not likely to bother with apk installs. Guess bb10 is going to be dead just more sooner in the markets where WA is reigning supreme.
    02-27-16 07:53 PM
    That's how I feel what its like to be a BB10 user as of now. Either way we have been Chenned.

WhatsApp support for BB10 will be discontinued-ram.jpg
    elfabio80 and madh263362 like this.
    02-27-16 07:56 PM
    Sad news.

A tip of the hat to Derek Konigsberg, who provided support in these forums to anyone looking for help with WhatsApp, even in the Pearl Flip forum. Also the developer of LogicMail for the old BBOS devices.
    Uzi, ubizmo, elfabio80 and 3 others like this.
    02-27-16 08:06 PM
    why do you need to know anyway?
    Just curious.

And I use WhatsApp pretty much every day.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-27-16 08:58 PM
    Would like clarity on the point that will the existing versions stop working?
    They should simply stop updating the app but I don't see the reason why it still can't be available on BlackBerry World and be downloaded. Or used by existing people.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    02-27-16 10:10 PM
    Would like clarity on the point that will the existing versions stop working?
    They should simply stop updating the app but I don't see the reason why it still can't be available on BlackBerry World and be downloaded. Or used by existing people.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    I can't say for sure with BB10, but on BBOS, updating to the newest version has been required. If you don't update, you don't get to continue using the service. So I suspect that WhatsApp will work after the "expiry date" until the next significant update occurs.

Edit: I can't comment on the expiry of existing people.
    02-27-16 10:23 PM
    It's pity that Whatsapp is parting away from BlackBerry, but this cannot be quoted as writing off BlackBerry as BlackBerry users still believe EMM /BBM is the core function of Blackberry and it would last for sure. I'm okay to bid farewell to whatsapp and to not for sure gonna give up my BlackBerry for Whatsapp!!

Posted via my favorite Passport
    02-27-16 10:33 PM
    So my passport will likely retire next year. To go on the mantelpiece. A great phone while it lasted, and a head turner lol. A piece of hardware with undeniably quality and innovation. The only phone I might keep as a relic from the past.

Why Whatsapp says to migrate to Windows phone I don't understand as it to is in dire states and pronounced dead by some. But maybe they also want at least 3 mobile choices in the future.

 Passport SE 
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-27-16 10:35 PM
    Locked to at&t so won't but otherwise i would have tried it.
    Workaround.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...ophone_united/

Posted from my X00 Z30
    02-27-16 10:54 PM
    So my passport will likely retire next year. To go on the mantelpiece. A great phone while it lasted, and a head turner lol. A piece of hardware with undeniably quality and innovation. The only phone I might keep as a relic from the past.

Why Whatsapp says to migrate to Windows phone I don't understand as it to is in dire states and pronounced dead by some. But maybe they also want at least 3 mobile choices in the future.

 Passport SE 
    I guess windows phone still developing new SDK while BlackBerry didn't..haven't updated SDK for a while
    02-27-16 10:54 PM
    My son uses the Android version of WhatsApp and has had no problems with it, so anyone using BlackBerry 10 should still be able to use WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-27-16 11:21 PM
405 ... 34567 ...