The last 2 times the whatsapp deadline was extended.

Are we to expect one for this time around?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to be getting my mom a new phone by dec 31st.

anyone know?
    anyone can venture an educated guess?
    11-15-17 03:34 PM
    The last 2 times the whatsapp deadline was extended.

Are we to expect one for this time around?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to be getting my mom a new phone by dec 31st.

anyone know?
    anyone can venture an educated guess?
    Or just use the Android app which has more features anyway.
    11-15-17 04:07 PM
    will the android one integrate to the hub?
    will it have the sending pictures issue?

(I haven't paid any attention to the ongoing conversations about this. I don't even use whatsapp... my mom does, so im just trying to keep it as simple as possible for her.... simple is somewhere between keeping her on the OS she knows (BB10)... or taking her to a new OS which will be a headache in its own right... but will happen at some point).
    11-15-17 04:12 PM
    will the android one integrate to the hub?
    will it have the sending pictures issue?

(I haven't paid any attention to the ongoing conversations about this. I don't even use whatsapp... my mom does, so im just trying to keep it as simple as possible for her.... simple is somewhere between keeping her on the OS she knows (BB10)... or taking her to a new OS which will be a headache in its own right... but will happen at some point).
    An app in BlackBerry World fixes the media issue. Just run it once after WhatsApp is installed.

You get standard Android notifications to the HUB, so they are a bit clunkier - but work.
    Last edited by conite; 11-15-17 at 05:53 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-15-17 04:13 PM
    11-15-17 05:21 PM
    very slim chance. WA is putting features in all the time like message recall that the old BB10 doesn't support. Meaning Android/IOS users can't recall their messages to BB10 WA , because the BB10 doesn't support it, a big hole for that feature.

Doesn't hurt to wait til Dec to see what happens tho.
    11-15-17 05:38 PM
    unfortunately, I have to keep my mom on as simple as possible... and notifications on the general screen that launches whatsapp is just too much for her... if it were me I would deal, but I have to streamline as much as possible for her... so if whatsapp doesn't extent on bb10... I have to switch her to android and just install the android hub on whatever phone I get her... it's the case of "keep it simple stupid" to the max.
    11-16-17 12:29 AM
    Leave it alone. Let's not deal with it, just to see how whatsapp is going to deal with BB10. I have migrated all the whatsapp contacts to line(which is a popular IM app in my country). I don't expect anything good or bad to happen, which is why nobody fails my expectations.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-17 12:38 AM
    unfortunately, I have to keep my mom on as simple as possible... and notifications on the general screen that launches whatsapp is just too much for her... if it were me I would deal, but I have to streamline as much as possible for her... so if whatsapp doesn't extent on bb10... I have to switch her to android and just install the android hub on whatever phone I get her... it's the case of "keep it simple stupid" to the max.
    Yeah in that case a new device might be better. You can launch WhatsApp from the hub notification but there could be other issues that add complexity (like app updates).
    11-16-17 12:42 AM
    But that exactly how that works on iOS or Android.

You have a notification, and it opens the app...

Even with the Android hub it works this way.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-17 09:56 AM
    But that exactly how that works on iOS or Android.

You have a notification, and it opens the app...

Even with the Android hub it works this way.

Posted via CB10
    On iOS and Android it takes you directly to the conversation after opening the app. On BB10 once you tap the WhatsApp notification bell you have to tap the message to open the conversation, if you have multiple messages from different conversations I believe it just opens the app.
    11-16-17 10:49 AM
    lets hope we get another BB10 extension.
    11-16-17 01:14 PM
    Yeah in that case a new device might be better. You can launch WhatsApp from the hub notification but there could be other issues that add complexity (like app updates).
    Actually, WhatsApp is the only Android app on my phone that seems to receive updates pushed directly to my device. I repeat, no Google Play Store or Amazon App store installed and I receive direct updates when there is one available after I open the app.

I find it runs quite smooth, doesn't seem to take much of a toll on my battery whatsoever, AND it actually works great for cross platform video. I really wanted to be a BB10 loyalist but, while I still use BBM, I am sad to say that even though it's not a native app, WhatsApp has more useful functionality and runs smoother (sounds crazy, but it is true).

The ONLY thing that it lacks is proper Hub integration but that's what has happened with basically everything in the BB10 Hub except for email, text messages and BBM. I wish it wasn't so...

Honestly, if you want to continue to use a BB10 device and use WhatsApp, the Android version is the way to go. The runtime was added to the OS for this very purpose... use it! That's how it is for me, anyway. The Android runtime is like my phone's prosthetic limb. I could still get by without it... but why would anyone want to?
    11-16-17 01:44 PM
    I've tested the Android version, works fine but... I don't like how it works with the predective text input, I have a bottom bar that doesn't allow me to see the word options.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-17 02:12 PM
    Actually, WhatsApp is the only Android app on my phone that seems to receive updates pushed directly to my device. I repeat, no Google Play Store or Amazon App store installed and I receive direct updates when there is one available after I open the app.

I find it runs quite smooth, doesn't seem to take much of a toll on my battery whatsoever, AND it actually works great for cross platform video. I really wanted to be a BB10 loyalist but, while I still use BBM, I am sad to say that even though it's not a native app, WhatsApp has more useful functionality and runs smoother (sounds crazy, but it is true).
    You still have to update it through BB10 though (as opposed to a background auto update) which adds some complexity and possibly risk if OP enables unknown sources on a device they aren't using themselves.

But I agree, WhatsApp is incredibly well optimized and works great on the runtime.
    11-16-17 03:06 PM
    I, too, hope that we get an extension, but I honestly don't know if it'll happen. If it doesn't, I guess you'll have to get your mom a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, or maybe the LG V30.
    11-17-17 07:18 PM
    There is also the problem with the permissions when you use the android version.

Nothing like my SE
    11-17-17 11:25 PM
    There is also the problem with the permissions when you use the android version.

Nothing like my SE
    'The problem' being what exactly?
    11-18-17 07:57 PM
    the permissions themselves are the problem, as well as the clunky horrible typing experience in that stupid box. the deal breaker is the lack of hub integration. whatsapp on bb10 is just better than whatsapp on android or ios, as it is seamless, painless messaging. i wouldnt have become a user if it wasnt so. lets hope they keep us in the game, or lets move to another app.

Posted via CBX
    11-23-17 11:59 AM
    We hope, but you can use the Android apk and you have all functions with the fixer...
    11-24-17 10:11 AM
    Hi there.. I am carrying a LEAP.. can I install that Android version of WhatsApp that works.. or must I install something else before that.. And: is there a way for the LEAP to run full Android instead of buying a new phone.. kindly excuse my negligence.. thx.
    12-25-17 09:27 AM
    Hi there.. I am carrying a LEAP.. can I install that Android version of WhatsApp that works.. or must I install something else before that.. And: is there a way for the LEAP to run full Android instead of buying a new phone.. kindly excuse my negligence.. thx.
    Install WhatsApp Android from here,

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

And then run through this app once and you should be good to go,

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/60005088

You can't run anything but BB10 on the Leap.
    gallouly likes this.
    12-25-17 11:02 AM
    Install WhatsApp Android from here,

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

And then run through this app once and you should be good to go,

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/60005088

You can't run anything but BB10 on the Leap.
    Thanks... trying it out
    12-25-17 12:16 PM
    Thanks... trying it out
    Well.. Opened the first link and tried to download several times.. But always returning an "Error" on the download page.. Any suggestions??
    12-25-17 12:31 PM
    Well.. Opened the first link and tried to download several times.. But always returning an "Error" on the download page.. Any suggestions??
    Now.. Despite the error: I found 2 files downloaded : "whatsapp.apk.temp" for 25 mb and same another for 700kb .. Any clues
    12-25-17 12:45 PM
47 12