All my contacts name are gone in Whatsapp except for group names. I have changed nothing and it happened all of a sudden. My messages are there but the contact name is gone and their phone number is shown...
    Apparently the sync between the contacts app and Whatsapp contacts is broken.
    I am using latest Whatsapp apk on my Passport. It used to work fine.
    Any idea?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-21 12:48 AM
    All my contacts name are gone in Whatsapp except for group names. I have changed nothing and it happened all of a sudden. My messages are there but the contact name is gone and their phone number is shown...
    Apparently the sync between the contacts app and Whatsapp contacts is broken.
    I am using latest Whatsapp apk on my Passport. It used to work fine.
    Any idea?

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp does backups of contact list. You could try uninstalling Whatsapp, reset your Passport ( turn off and on) and then reinstall Whatsapp APK and should add latest contact list saved.
    05-06-21 08:35 AM
    Whatsapp does backups of contact list. You could try uninstalling Whatsapp, reset your Passport ( turn off and on) and then reinstall Whatsapp APK and should add latest contact list saved.
    In the past every time I reinstalled Whatsapp I lost my previous messages. Does it have a setting to recover them? I didn't see a setting for that.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-21 02:54 AM
    In whatsapp go to settings , chats and select chat backup and you can backup to your Google account re drive.
    05-07-21 03:11 AM
    I created a backup but I didn't understand where it was saved. There was no prompt about where to save the backup. I don't have Google Play Services running on my Passport. Do I need that?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-21 03:44 AM
    I created a backup but I didn't understand where it was saved. There was no prompt about where to save the backup. I don't have Google Play Services running on my Passport. Do I need that?

Posted via CB10
    It will only backup locally on BB10. If you go to the file manager and navigate to Misc, Android there a folder marked "whatsapp", which is where all your media and messages are backed up and stored. You could copy that folder to a safe place before uninstalling as I'm not sure if it would get deleted when you uninstall. You'd have to move it back after installing and make sure it s the only folder labeled "whatsapp" for it to be found again by WhatsApp.
    05-07-21 05:03 AM
    Thank you guys. I created a local backup of my Whatsapp. Then I deleted Whatsapp on my Passport, Restarted the device, and then installed Whatsapp apk. I could successfully use the local backup according to your instructions. However unfortunately my contacts were not recognized again in Whatsapp.
    So the primary problem still exists.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-21 11:02 AM
    My problem is solved. in phone Settings>Accounts>Whatsapp, I tapped on overflow button, then I tapped Remove Account. I also unchecked and rechecked Sync.
    One of these two actions made Whatsapp start syncing the contacts again.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-21 05:59 AM
    My problem is solved. in phone Settings>Accounts>Whatsapp, I tapped on overflow button, then I tapped Remove Account. I also unchecked and rechecked Sync.
    One of these two actions made Whatsapp start syncing the contacts again.

Posted via CB10
    I tried all this and my contacts didn't reappear.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-21 12:51 PM
    I tried all this and my contacts didn't reappear.

Posted via CB10
    Did you also updated your Whatsapp to the latest version? I did that beforehand

Posted via CB10
    05-24-21 11:26 PM
    Yes I updated. I downloaded whatsapp from their website.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-21 08:07 AM
    Yes I updated. I downloaded whatsapp from their website.

Posted via CB10
    Since this is still occurring, how do I send a message to a non contact? Meaning I just want to enter a phone number to send a message. Is this possible on the limited BlackBerry version which was downloaded from their site?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-21 08:49 AM
    Since this is still occurring, how do I send a message to a non contact? Meaning I just want to enter a phone number to send a message. Is this possible on the limited BlackBerry version which was downloaded from their site?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, use the link below.
    https://wa.me/

Add the phone number behind the last slash without any dashes, brackets, or spaces and you'll be able to click on the link to open a chat with anyone on WhatsApp.
    05-30-21 08:57 AM