Should we be concerned. If I'm reading this correctly we do not have to worry cause we are on android 4.3 and the article states that anything under android 2.3.7.

Am I correct?

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/01/27/...in-a-few-days/

Hammered out on my Precious Passport.
    01-28-20 02:34 PM
    Should we be concerned. If I'm reading this correctly we do not have to worry cause we are on android 4.3 and the article states that anything under android 2.3.7.

Am I correct?

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/01/27/...in-a-few-days/

You answered your own question.

This is not news btw, it was announced months ago.

In general though, BB10 users should be prepared for it to stop working at any time anyway, as Android version compatibility does not necessarily guarantee compatibility with the BB10 Android Runtime.
    01-28-20 02:49 PM

In general though, BB10 users should be prepared for it to stop working at any time anyway, as Android version compatibility does not necessarily guarantee compatibility with the BB10 Android Runtime.
    Thank you for the confirmation Conite. I was being cushioned by a friend and I was thinking he was wrong.
    Still that day will come But probably not for a couple years at least.

01-28-20 03:03 PM
    At least this will be it's own thread for some to reference

01-28-20 03:08 PM

I don't want to contradict you here, but why is it that I feel you are doing this yourself in what you just said? As all of us now, WhatsApp works even better today with BB10 devices, and there's no need to download an APK for this. So why forewarn people of something that's not in the cards just yet?
    01-28-20 03:20 PM
    At least this will be it's own thread for some to reference

Nevertheless, take note of the last paragraph in my post above. If WhatsApp is a critical requirement, I would not be using BB10, as there is no commitment to keep it working, and it could fail at any time.
    01-28-20 03:26 PM
    I don't want to contradict you here, but why is it that I feel you are doing this yourself in what you just said? As all of us now, WhatsApp works even better today with BB10 devices, and there's no need to download an APK for this. So why forewarn people of something that's not in the cards just yet?
    Of course you have to download an apk. What do you mean by that?

It had stopped working for some time already, despite Android version compatibility, so we have to be careful making promises going forward. In was only through the ingenuity of some community members (and some luck), that it worked for that year and a half. The solution also involved having to have a SD card too.
    01-28-20 03:28 PM
    If @dkonigs was still around he might could say for sure...
    01-28-20 03:34 PM
    It had stopped working for some time already, despite Android version compatibility, so we have to be careful making promises going forward. In was only through the ingenuity of some community members (and some luck), that it worked for that year and a half. The solution also involved having to have a SD card too.
    It is quite possible that I don't know all the facts here, but what I have seen is that at some stage a solution was offered in that one had to download a patch (?) to their SD card and resolve this. Then, at some later stage, everyone could download the app from the official site and have full functionality. It seems to me then that despite what WhatsApp announced initially, they later changed their mind, no? Politics aside, the app works with no issues today. This has nothing to do with making promises for the future though.
    01-28-20 03:35 PM
    If @dkonigs was still around he might could say for sure...
    Every few months some tech reporter looking for clickbait seems to write an alarmist article with this tone. (e.g. "OMG! WhatsApp might stop working on your phone! Run for the hills and stock up for the apocalypse!")

When you read the details, however, its almost always a case of support for really old (and difficult to support) OS versions being discontinued, with very few people actually being affected. Furthermore, its never really a surprise. Often WhatsApp has been publicly informing people of these decisions for a very long time.

Unless the OS version you're actually using (or need compatibility with) is affected, you have nothing to worry about on that front. (Of course all the other usual concerns over BB10's Android Runtime obviously still apply.)

P.S. Technically I am still around, but not very active on these forums anymore. I also no longer work at WhatsApp (left a little over a year ago), so I can't speak in any sort of up-to-date official capacity.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-28-20 03:48 PM
    It is quite possible that I don't know all the facts here, but what I have seen is that at some stage a solution was offered in that one had to download a patch (?) to their SD card and resolve this. Then, at some later stage, everyone could download the app from the official site and have full functionality. It seems to me then that despite what WhatsApp announced initially, they later changed their mind, no? Politics aside, the app works with no issues today. This has nothing to do with making promises for the future though.
    No. This had nothing to do with WhatsApp. This all happened AFTER the BB10 app was killed.

Despite version compatibility, the Android apk went through a long period of not being compatible with BB10, and was only fixed in the way I have already described.

Going forward, a tiny server change or app coding change could easily blow it up again.
    01-28-20 03:48 PM
    Every few months some tech reporter looking for clickbait seems to write an alarmist article with this tone. (e.g. "OMG! WhatsApp might stop working on your phone! Run for the hills and stock up for the apocalypse!")

When you read the details, however, its almost always a case of support for really old (and difficult to support) OS versions being discontinued, with very few people actually being affected. Furthermore, its never really a surprise. Often WhatsApp has been publicly informing people of these decisions for a very long time.

Unless the OS version you're actually using (or need compatibility with) is affected, you have nothing to worry about on that front. (Of course all the other usual concerns over BB10's Android Runtime obviously still apply.)

P.S. Technically I am still around, but not very active on these forums anymore. I also no longer work at WhatsApp (left a little over a year ago), so I can't speak in any sort of up-to-date official capacity.
    But we are talking about BB10 with an Android Runtime and not the full OS that is stuck in the past!
    01-28-20 03:52 PM

Ya. Android 2.3.7 and below are used by less than 0.3% of folks.
    01-28-20 03:53 PM
    Regardless people @conite is correct in saying that WhatsApp is nothing to be relied upon with certainty. All it takes is a change in code on any upcoming version and that will set a roadblock for us. We ARE on borrowed time but things do seem to be coasting fine now. Let's hope that nothing does happen and we get a few years still out of our devices.

conite and app_Developer like this.
    01-28-20 05:34 PM
    By the way, whenever I was messing around with BB10, I wasn't able to make or restore a Google drive backup of them chats and media.

Basically, if I wanted to switch from a KEYBerry to a Passport, I would lose all my chats and start from scratch.

And that's a deal-breaker on its own
    01-28-20 07:54 PM
    By the way, whenever I was messing around with BB10, I wasn't able to make or restore a Google drive backup of them chats and media.

Basically, if I wanted to switch from a KEYBerry to a Passport, I would lose all my chats and start from scratch.

And that's a deal-breaker on its own
    BB10 will only backup to internal storage, so you have to manually transfer that backup file to and fro.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-20 09:11 PM
    BB10 will only backup to internal storage, so you have to manually transfer that backup file to and fro.

Posted via CB10
    Is there a file size limited for video on WhatApp using BB10? Had an issue this morning
    01-29-20 10:19 AM
    Is there a file size limited for video on WhatApp using BB10? Had an issue this morning
    Yeah I think there's a 100mb size limit.
    Edit: Just saw in the other thread videos are limited to 16mb.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ben xfg; 01-29-20 at 07:43 PM.
    01-29-20 06:53 PM
    Yeah I think there's a 100mb size limit.
    Edit: Just saw in the other thread videos are limited to 16mb.

Posted via CB10
    Used Penzus MMT from Blackberry World to convert and compress down from 28MB down to 2MB and it looked and sounded the same

01-29-20 09:15 PM
    Nevertheless, take note of the last paragraph in my post above. If WhatsApp is a critical requirement, I would not be using BB10, as there is no commitment to keep it working, and it could fail at any time.
    BB10 will survive over BB android, that's fun! Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    01-31-20 07:50 AM
    BB10 will survive over BB android, that's fun! Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    No it won’t and simple math and basic reading comprehension is all that’s required to figure that out.
    01-31-20 10:27 PM
    No it won’t and simple math and basic reading comprehension is all that’s required to figure that out.
    1) no more BB android, 2)no more BBmo, 3)no more TCL involved,4) no Pie...BB10's still better on photo managing photo gallery (non app), better in interaction with pc and a lot better in built quality and in many more things. Like mailing etc..obvuoisly worst on social, navigation apps, pay and ****ty google things...

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and saint300 like this.
    02-01-20 03:23 AM
    1) no more BB android, 2)no more BBmo, 3)no more TCL involved,4) no Pie...BB10's still better on photo managing photo gallery (non app), better in interaction with pc and a lot better in built quality and in many more things. Like mailing etc..obvuoisly worst on social, navigation apps, pay and ****ty google things...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Limited stopped producing and supporting BB10 hardware and software before it stopped producing and supporting BBAndroid hardware and software. Then it licensed out BB hardware and software which is still being supported. As far as level of support BBAndroid Oreo 8.1 > ART 4.3 timeline wise. You can argue which OS is better all day long but support date facts are indisputable. THE END....
    02-01-20 11:19 AM
    BlackBerry Limited stopped producing and supporting BB10 hardware and software before it stopped producing and supporting BBAndroid hardware and software. Then it licensed out BB hardware and software which is still being supported. As far as level of support BBAndroid Oreo 8.1 > ART 4.3 timeline wise. You can argue which OS is better all day long but support date facts are indisputable. THE END....
    Chuck, you know you can't win an argument with true believers.
    02-03-20 05:26 AM
    BB10 is better! Just saying. THE END OT THE END!!

saint300 likes this.
    02-03-20 07:10 AM
41 12