What's New In BlackBerry 10.2.1?-screen-shot-2014-02-12-6.46.44-pm.jpg
    Getting Started

• The full Out of box experience requires you have a data connection. If you do not have any connection, a simplified set up kicks in, allowing you to get started, then return at a later time to finish configuring when a data connection is available. After 5 days, the system will force you to establish a data connection in order to complete the full set up.
    • An on-device, device-specific tutorial app is also available (the Tutorials icon is found on the 2nd or 3rd panel of the Home screen (varies by device).

Interface Essentials

• The battery icon changes to show you the percentage of battery power you have left, in the Lock screen and whenever you swipe up from the bottom of the display.
    • You can now tap on a message preview on the Lock screen to access the full message.
    • An icon is now available for the BlackBerry Hub.
    • With the larger display of the BlackBerry Z30, you now get a 5th row of icons.

Menu & Action Bars

• When you begin composing a message, the action bar associated with the app (such as composing an email or text message) now floats to the top of the keyboard, making it faster and easier to attach files, format content or access additional options. The floating action bar changes in context for various applications. This is the action bar for text messaging (SMS).

Icons, Folders, Copy and Paste

• If you hold the phone in landscape mode the button labels will hide to provide additional screen space. However, if you tap and hold on a button, the label will pop-up.
    • To highlight a word, tap and hold on that word. Once it is selected it will invoke the new Copy/Paste menu. Tapping and holding on a word for an extended period of time will select the entire sentence the word is in. Holding on further, highlights the entire paragraph, and so on. You can also expand your selection by dragging on either of the two anchor points, or use the new “running Shift” feature. To paste, place your finger at the point where you want to insert and hold it there until the paste menu appears. To make it easier for you to set the cursor at the exact insertion point you want, a large circle will appear, which you can drag to the insertion point.
    • You can now instantly add an attachment. The circle changes to make it easier for you to set the insertion point. When you’ve selected text, a Copy/Paste menu will pop up.
    • When composing a message, you can now select text very quickly using a “running Shift”. Place the cursor at the start point of the text you want to highlight, then hold the keyboard Shift key and drag the circle to your desired end point.

Settings

• Customers that are connected on BES10 now switch between their Personal and Work profile from the Quick Settings menu. BlackBerry Balance technology separates and secures work data from personal content on the phone. BES10 IT policy settings help ensure that work data is not inadvertently sent to personal contacts.
    • A new and improved device monitor provides you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.
    • Tap on the Notification icon to switch to Vibrate or Silent mode. Tap again to turn to your previous Notification setting. Tap on the text to access the Notification settings, where you can customize how each function and app on the device should behave, such as flash the LED and/or vibrate when you receive an alert.
    • Additional options have been added to the Quick Settings menu (which is also customizable). For example, you can now quickly set the display brightness by tapping the icon and adjusting the slider.
    • You can use the camera’s flash as a flashlight. Tap the icon to toggle the flashlight on and off.
    • You can customize what appears on the drop down Settings menu in Quick Settings. Select the items you want to appear, and rearrange their order.

BlackBerry Hub

• A new feature of BlackBerry OS 10.2 was the BlackBerry Priority Hub, which makes it fast and easy to find the most important messages and information you need. BlackBerry Priority Hub learns what conversations and what people are important to you, then collects priority messages across your email, social networking and other accounts to give you instant access to the conversations most important to you to, helping you stay organized and focused on your most important tasks.
    • BlackBerry Hub can be accessed from the app grid by tapping on the icon.
    • You can manage how the system learns what messages should become priorities in the Hub settings.
    • You can now add your own Priority Hub rules.
    • You can now immediately access the dial pad from the Calls Hub.
    • When you open a message to read and scroll through the content, you’ll notice the two arrow overlay button. Tapping the left arrow will immediately take you to the next message. Tapping the right arrow takes you to the preceding message. The overlay can be disabled in Display and Actions.
    • You can now instantly filter the message list in the Hub. You can set the Hub to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft Messages, Meeting Invites, Sent Messages or Level 1 Alerts. Once the filter criterion is set, you can simply activate the filter with a pinch gesture on the Hub’s message list.
    • You can now set to only delete messages that are on the device, both your mail server and the Hub, or to prompt you.
    • If you receive an email with text that is too small to read, you can now pinch to zoom and the text will reformat (wrap) to the width of the display.
    • When you attach an image, you can send it as a smaller size to save on data usage.

Flow and Share

• BlackBerry Hub now also lets you quickly find attachments in your messages, so you don’t have to try to remember the subject of a message or hunt through a long list of emails. Selecting the Attachment icon to see all attachments. You can then immediately share the attachment with others.
    • You can instantly set up a follow up meeting from an existing calendar event.
    • Sharing is even easier. The system learns what contacts you most often share with and what accounts you most often use, then presents them to you.

Touchscreen and Keyboard

• The keyboard now makes different clicking sounds depending on what you’re typing, giving you audible feedback as you type characters, hit the spacebar or back space, flick words and so on.
    • When you begin composing a message, the action bar associated with the app (such as composing an email or text message) now floats to the top of the keyboard, making it faster and easier to attach files, format content or access additional options. The floating action bar changes in context for various applications. This is the action bar for email messages.

Notifications, Contacts and Phone

• The Phone app offers a simplified phone experience with a new incoming call screen that lets you swipe to the left to answer or swipe right to ignore a call.
    • You now get a preview at the top of the display of any message as it arrives in whatever app you’re in. You can immediately dismiss it or tap it to read the full content and respond. Tap the X to dismiss the message. Tap the preview to respond.
    • If a BBM message arrives, you can instantly reply to the message without even leaving the app you’re in. Tap the <- to reply or the X to dismiss the message. If you dismiss the BBM message, it will continue to show your contact that it has been delivered but not yet read.
    • Intuitive icons allow you to instantly silence the call, or send a Reply Now response through BBM, SMS or email that you can’t answer the phone right away. You can choose from a list of standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note.
    • If Reply Now is set, the system will determine the best way to reply (by text message, BBM or email) based on previous interactions with that contact.
    • When you get a Calendar Notification and View Event or tap and hold on the event in the Calendar fifteen minutes before the event is set to start, you’ll see the I Will Be Late icon. Tap it to send an email to participants that you’re running late. Drag the slider to specify how late you’ll be.
    • You can now set which sources you want a particular contact to sync with.
    • BlackBerry Natural Sound makes BBM voice and video chats sound more natural and realistic, letting you hear nuances and variations in tone, and making conversations sound like you’re in the same room.
    • BlackBerry 10 smartphones and software also support the new “wideband” audio telephony standard, also known as HD voice. HD voice is dependant on the carrier having this capability and requires that both you and the person you are calling are on carrier networks that support HD voice. If HD voice is active between you can the person you’re having a telephone call with, you’ll see an HD voice icon.

The BlackBerry 10 Browser

• You can now save the current web page you’re on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an Internet connection.
    • In a landscape orientation, the address bar hides when you start scrolling down the page to give you a longer viewing area, and reappears when you scroll up.
    • In Reader mode, the menu bar at the bottom of the display automatically hides when you start scrolling down the page to give you a longer viewing area, and reappears when you scroll up.
    • Tap and hold the Back button to see your current history.

Camera

• When you drag the thumbnail to see the full image, you can now immediately share or delete it.

BBM

• You can instantly reply to a BBM message without even leaving the app you’re in.
    • BlackBerry Natural Sound makes BBM voice and video chats sound more natural and realistic, letting you hear nuances and variations in tone, and making conversations sound like you’re in the same room.
    • BBM channels allows you or a group to create a dedicated channel and share information and updates with the immediacy that BBM offers. It provides a deeper real-time engagement experience for people to connect with brands, business, and communities that matter most to them.

Clock

• You can now set multiple alarms. In addition to setting the time and alarms, you have a World Clock, Stopwatch and Timer available. Swiping from the top of the Clock lets you instantly put the smartphone in Bedside mode. You can also change the date and time.
    • Bedside mode dims the clock display and disables alerts. You can allow notifications or phone calls to chime while in Bedside mode, and you can now disable all wireless connections when in Bedside mode. Access these new features in the Clock Settings, by swiping down from the top of the display in the Clock app.
    • The World Clock shows you the local time for major cities around the world and a quick visual indication of what areas around the globe are still in daylight. To add or remove a city, tap Edit and start typing the first few letters of the city you want to add until it appears, then tap it to select it. You can now see the local weather. Tapping the weather icon will give you more details.

Media

• Media can be saved to a MicroSD card. BlackBerry 10.2.1 supports exFAT with a MicroSDXC card. When you first install an exFAT formatted card, the device will prompt you to download drivers.
    • If you have a BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Q10 or BlackBerry Q5 smartphone, the BlackBerry 10.2.1 software update unlocks the built-in FM radio in those handsets. You can listen to local FM stations, which does not require any network connection and does not use your data plan.

Security

• Simple numeric passwords are supported.
    • You can quickly unlock your phone using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice, which you place at a particular point on the image. When you try to unlock the phone, the picture will appear along with a grid of random numbers. To unlock, simply drag the grid so the number you selected overlays the particular point on the image.

This is not a 100% complete list of ALL the changes in BlackBerry 10.2.1 but they are the 'advertised' changes of what's new. We all know OS 10.2.1 also has a few other features in it such as the ability to run Android APK files directly so please don't leave posts telling me I left it off the list LOL.
    02-12-14 05:22 PM
    You forgot to list the cured diseases.
    02-12-14 05:29 PM
    exFAT is not in 10.2.1 as of yet, despite the claims that it is. The device will not go grab the drivers for it.
    02-12-14 07:45 PM
    got a Z10 thru vodafone UK, did the update with Blackberry Link and guess what. it all went great till it had to restart. Nothing but a black screen. i can hear the phone getting emails, but no matter what i do, i cant bypass the black / blank screen. tried a hard reboot (taking the battery in and out, considering that i can't see anything on the screen). The phone seems to reboot itself and yet still a black screen. plugged the HDMI cable to my TV and the phone works.... just not the screen.... any ideas? has anyone encountered the same problem?
    PS: tried the factory settings reset and it just doesnt work... and cant even restore a backup cause for that i need a screen and keyboard to sign in with my Blackberry ID
    02-14-14 08:32 PM
    so in other words almost nothing has changed!!!! yeah right this is like a top to bottom restructuring of the OS. It kills me when people write in and complain a) that their isnt much that has changed and b) that things dont really work that well considering they havent done much. First of all even the smallest of changes take lots of code and testing. They have to test it with different software combinations to make sure they dont interfere with one another as well as with the radio to see if the signals change. Carriers also must do testing to make sure that all the conversions for the different formats work properly. Even just to make a simple upgrade takes days to figure out. Then the first thing people say is it doesnt work im changing phones. And the circle goes on. If you dont like change and you just want a simple phone with very little to change and hardly any problems dont buy a smartphone period. Secondly what are you using the phone for. In most cases with blackberry its sort of a business personal situation and how much you use it for either is the sticking point. Blackberrys are slewed more towards business and productivity then games, photos and social media. So you are giving up a bit when you come over to blackberry but at the same time you get so much more. A) security which people fail to realize is even an issue until they get hacked and become exposed. b) Its about getting things done and being able to do lots of typing and interaction. Apps are not available for it though? actually they are but if you want to play games all day probably not the best selection of apps but even with the ability to use the apk files for android why would you want to use those files it means you probably bought the phone for the wrong reason or you were given it by your company in which case you probably shouldnt be using it for things other then business anyway. So those out there whining and complaining about this and that and not working. Sure blackberry has its faults and frustration is all part of it but when you add it all up its gives up very little for compromise and for security and productivity probably second to none. Keep the upgrades coming the OS is going miles ahead in only a short period of time before long it will be by far the best OS out there. And for those of you with no patience perhaps look into a second phone or just change brands all together. Sure blackberry wants the business but its obvious to many of us that some peoples expectations just defy logic altogether.
    02-15-14 12:28 PM
    Awesome, thank you!

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 12:42 PM
    I like some of the new features, such as being able to toggle a torch on and off - useful for finding your house keys ;-)

02-15-14 04:27 PM
    Maybe this is new... I just noticed it recently. When looking at the calendar details for an event, there are tabs at the top of the window for people & email. I can access email related to the event through this tab. Brilliant! And it does it magically (I don't need to associate the emails to a calendar event)...

This was my schedule for Saturday the 15th
    What's New In BlackBerry 10.2.1?-img_20140216_094928.png

Open up the details for an event. Notice the tabs...
    What's New In BlackBerry 10.2.1?-img_20140216_094940.png

When I click on the emails tab I see the email and attached files!

So cool!
    What's New In BlackBerry 10.2.1?-img_20140216_094947.png
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    02-16-14 12:32 PM
    exFAT is not in 10.2.1 as of yet, despite the claims that it is. The device will not go grab the drivers for it.
    Jep, true.. tried it myself since it even were stated in the updated review by Adam. Here's what Michael Cluely said on January 30th when someone asked him:

https://twitter.com/MichaelClewley/s...31177106653184

So please don't irritate more geeks who want to reformat their SDXC cards to the new format..
    03-02-14 01:39 PM
    Anyone else have their "media card support disabled by administrator"? Mind you this is a personal phone no less..m

Q10 on the run
    04-17-14 12:25 AM
    IS it necessary to have / connect Blackberry Services ? or Blackberry Data plans ?

I want to buy Q10 but i don't want Blackberry Data services.. can i get normal data plans from telecom operators ?

I'm in Kenya.
    05-05-14 04:20 AM
    IS it necessary to have / connect Blackberry Services ? or Blackberry Data plans ?

I want to buy Q10 but i don't want Blackberry Data services.. can i get normal data plans from telecom operators ?

I'm in Kenya.
    Yes you can!
    05-05-14 06:06 AM
    I just want to make sure TechnoBuffalo is not surprised nor upset that the Z30 beat out the best spec'd devices.
    This is a basic testament that SPEC's mean Jack if not powered by a well designed OS.
    Ask yourself why Android Apps run smoother on BB10 devices most of the time over actual Android devices? Case in Point.

My contacts tell me that many industry personal know for a fact BB10 is far superior to anything in the market place to date. The issue, people still do not know what it is, and when you say BlackBerry, most people think about a BOLD QWERTY device running a old OS7.
    And you have both Apple and Samsung strong arming themselves with deep pockets and can market inferior OS's such as Android and iOS with ease which basically makes BB10 invincible.

As long as John Chen sticks to the plan, strategically markets BB10 devices and builds carrier relations, people and word of mouth will finally see how amazing BB10 is. The likely people that would be interested in BB10 are iPhone owners.
    [ATInsider ]technobuffalo
    05-05-14 12:30 PM
    What other new stuffs are there that has not been mentioned??

Has any responded to it or where can i find a full list as i would like to know

Ty
    06-25-14 05:57 PM