I keep reading / hearing how superior BlackBerry security is. Then why is it that IT Depts are not interested in BlackBerry? In fact our IT Dept is discouraging the use of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Your IT Department is dumb.
    der_mit likes this.
    08-05-15 05:57 PM
    A handset that's allowed to run custom ROMS and/or apps will always be the weakest link in the chain of security. This is were BlackBerry truly shines, as no one has ever been able to run any custom ROM/OS on the handsets due to BlackBerry requiring the OS to be signed by them and only them.

Posted via CB10
    This may be security via obscurity though. How many people are trying to load custom ROM/OS on the BB?

I have heard of people doing stuff at the ROM level to remove carrier branding. Not sure if that is the same thing though.
    08-05-15 06:06 PM
    This may be security via obscurity though. How many people are trying to load custom ROM/OS on the BB?

I have heard of people doing stuff at the ROM level to remove carrier branding. Not sure if that is the same thing though.
    It's not possible to load a custom ROM on BlackBerry.
    08-05-15 06:12 PM

I have been Jailbreaking and Rooting for as long as the third iphone came out and have not heard of any type or root access on a BlackBerry. If you have some factual information I would love to hear it. Also if you have a website that hosts "How to's" I would love to have the name of the site so I may read on it.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-05-15 06:17 PM

You can't run any custom ROM/OS on a BlackBerry device. The hardware checks the software for the key BlackBerry signs it's OS with, and if it doesn't match then the hardware refuses to boot that code.

This is a stark contrast to Android and iOS, in that no Android or iOS hardware checks the ROM/OS for a signature before booting.

Android and iOS usually have a locked "bootloader" that prevents writing to the ROM/OS partitions, but these locks are bypassed easily once certain exploits are discovered in the software.

Requiring the hardware to verify the software is the way BlackBerry has been able to prevent running unauthorized code on their hardware. If the software is ever changed in any way, then the key that the software was signed with is changed and thus the hardware will refuse to boot; preventing any unauthorized code to run.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:01 PM
    Regardless of the business or requirements of the business or their scenario, is BES10 combined with BlackBerry's phone hardware and software, in simplistic terms less of a risk for security weaknesses (hacks, breaches) then other combined solutions using Android or iPhone based on the security holes I noted in previous posts?
    Even if it's only marginal is it better as a whole?
    On paper, I really don't know. If in practice then Blackberry would be catering to a segment of the market which is very small compared to companies with similar offerings. In that case you would have thought Blackberry should have learn from their device business and not repeat the same mistake (run out of customers).
    Last edited by Bishkin; 08-05-15 at 09:25 PM.
    08-05-15 09:09 PM
    I have been Jailbreaking and Rooting for as long as the third iphone came out and have not heard of any type or root access on a BlackBerry. If you have some factual information I would love to hear it. Also if you have a website that hosts "How to's" I would love to have the name of the site so I may read on it.
    Not many berries around, so not very enticing. Why not hack the servers instead, that should cast the net wider. Not uncommon that some hacks are only discovered years later. Please don't tell the person that you hacked into his phone or leave anything behind like a rose or key chain.
    08-05-15 09:20 PM
    Not many berries around, so not very enticing. Why not hack the servers instead, that should cast the net wider. Not uncommon that some hacks are only discovered years later. Please don't tell the person that you hacked into his phone or leave anything behind like a rose or key chain.
    So you don't have any proof. Just what we expected. You would think that it would be enticing to hack government leaders, banks, law firms, etc. A little more enticing hacking Joe Blows iPhone/Android.
    08-05-15 09:32 PM
    So you don't have any proof. Just what we expected. You would think that it would be enticing to hack government leaders, banks, law firms, etc. A little more enticing hacking Joe Blows iPhone/Android.
    What proof from me that you want dedicated just for you? And what proof are "you all" expecting.

And yes, just like I said earlier, it is more enticing to go for something big and there is not need for you to repeat after me. But at least you finally see the light.
    08-05-15 11:09 PM
    What proof from me that you want dedicated just for you? And what proof are "you all" expecting.

And yes, just like I said earlier, it is more enticing to go for something big and there is not need for you to repeat after me. But at least you finally see the light.
    What proof? Anything. You have nothing. And what do you think the big players use? BlackBerry phones. Thanks for playing.
    08-06-15 05:11 AM

Like Bluenoser63 said the government would be the equivalent of going for something big. Not that it's a large number of phones but the information is of greater value then Joe Blow.

Anyway I'm glad to hear it's not been done even thought I do miss tinkering With my phones lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 05:21 AM
    What proof? Anything. You have nothing. And what do you think the big players use? BlackBerry phones. Thanks for playing.
    Proof what?, that the earth is round or that you are a square. If you want proof then at least state what exactly is it you want to proof.
    08-06-15 05:52 AM
    Like Bluenoser63 said the government would be the equivalent of going for something big. Not that it's a large number of phones but the information is of greater value then Joe Blow.

Anyway I'm glad to hear it's not been done even thought I do miss tinkering With my phones lol.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea what blue nose was babbling about. You want something on paper, I gave you something paperish. You want something government, that is beyond the scope of what I am interested to share, at least not in forums such as this.
    08-06-15 05:58 AM
    I'll grab a screen shot later, I'm now in a hurry to get to another site - and POTUS, if they're using BB services will have similar tools in BES already and with other services they've taken up, whether Cisco, in their WLAN AP's (lots of Layer 7 functionality in AP's and controller units now), or other equipment and tools.

On record - at no point have I said BlackBerry is lesser or greater security than anything else anywhere in this thread: I'm simply trying to get the point across that the security market BB is vying for is not handset based, it is services based like the one I've screen shot several times for you guys.Both BB and the one I'm showing you are MUCH bigger than what I've shared. The concepts are not the easiest to get your mind around, but when the penny drops you'll have a whole new realm of pretty exciting gadgets and software to get into and it really is worth the journey to do it.
    iOS has the most vulnerabilities discovered topping Android from the list but the latter received the most attacks than the former which could be attributed to the latter's market share.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    08-06-15 12:35 PM
    Because he insisted on using a legacy device?

IIRC, the device wasn't considered secure enough initially, hence the Sectera.

But what does the device he uses (NSA-hardened) mean for regular folks? Even BBRY didn't hang a hat on that, for good reason.

It's kinda like pumping up the perfection of the commercial Boeing 747 because POTUS flies in a version if it (darn! I just used an airplane analogy )
    You might be correct.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    08-06-15 12:39 PM
    This is sheer nonsense. There are different vendors providing solutions similar to what Blackberry is offering. Different clients with different background have different requirements. If you like some of them here think that the Passport is the best, then you can be rest assured that a big part the rest of the world thought you meant the travel document.

The solutions MUST suit the business, not the other way round. And this is not only restricted to security products.
    So you mean that all EMM and MDM including BES are equal?

08-06-15 12:45 PM
    So you mean that all EMM and MDM including BES are equal?
    What gave you the idea that they are equal? Is a Honda sedan equal to a Toyota sedan since they are both cars?
    08-06-15 01:47 PM
    What gave you the idea that they are equal? Is a Honda sedan equal to a Toyota sedan since they are both cars?
    You. You answered "sheer nonsense" to Bluenosers comment about BlackBerry phones and BES are the best platform for secure mobile computing.

As you've said and to paraphrase your previous comment, different mobile security solutions cater to different requirements.

So, they must be (all EMM and MDM) of the same level of security but cater to different enterprise requirements.

If they are not different, they must be the same. What do you think?

der_mit likes this.
    08-06-15 03:17 PM
    Proof what?, that the earth is round or that you are a square. If you want proof then at least state what exactly is it you want to proof.
    I will make it simple for you. You said that BlackBerry 10 phones can have custom ROMs installed. Which means the phone was hacked or rooted. Prove your own statement.
    der_mit likes this.
    08-06-15 07:00 PM
    Not sure if we are going to get a solid straight answer out of anyone on the Network Security issue but but I have a new question that deals with BlackBerry security.
    I was wondering what does this Sandboxing for the Android apps do exactly. The android apps can access the contacts I think and pictures, not sure what else but how does the sandbox work exactly to prevent the android apps from sharing information or keep the device secure? When some android apps pop up in the background without permission do they share any info with google? I know google isn't a security threat but all the same just want to understand the limitations the Sandbox sets for these Android apps.
    If anyone know.....

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 08:15 PM
    I will make it simple for you. You said that BlackBerry 10 phones can have custom ROMs installed. Which means the phone was hacked or rooted. Prove your own statement.
    So this is what you are harping all along. Why not make it easy on yourself and everybody. Prove to me that I make that statement, or at least show me where to find it.
    Last edited by Bishkin; 08-06-15 at 11:53 PM.
    08-06-15 09:35 PM
    You. You answered "sheer nonsense" to Bluenosers comment about BlackBerry phones and BES are the best platform for secure mobile computing.
    I did say companies should not operate base on the requirements of a security product. That means you should not let your phone tell you how to live your life. I was simply referring to things and life in general.

So, they must be (all EMM and MDM) of the same level of security but cater to different enterprise requirements.
    Why do you even suggest that we should all be driving the same car.

If they are not different, they must be the same. What do you think?
    I think you are right.
    Last edited by Bishkin; 08-06-15 at 10:14 PM.
    08-06-15 09:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Any idea how many Jailbreak and Rooted phones out there. With Blackberry I know it already came with a backdoor, it is called the Android Runtime. Making it very convenient and the process simple, no need to fix the ROM.

How do you tell if a phone was Jailbreak or Rooted, clothes they wear? No, I was only joking.
    Last edited by Bishkin; 08-06-15 at 10:05 PM.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    08-06-15 09:45 PM
    Did the ROOM just go silent?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 07:32 PM
    Strange. After Bishkin's "joking", the room went silent. How come no one except Bishkin laughed?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 11:28 PM
114 ... 2345