What's all this about BlackBerry security-meraki-6.jpg

As I said - stop dwelling on what's in your hands, the security is elsewhere. That 'elsewhere' is the place BlackBerry is moving to.
    08-05-15 06:59 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meraki 6.JPG 
Views:	481 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	365392

As I said - stop dwelling on what's in your hands, the security is elsewhere. That 'elsewhere' is the place BlackBerry is moving to.
    That's great! At least it shows the device (android) is jailbroken.

Can you post also a screen shot like the previous one with that android device that shows Security > Jailbroken?: Yes?

I guess that security "elsewhere" is where the POTUS is going to also?

"I am the the Way; I am the Truth, and Life. No one can come to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6
    08-05-15 07:14 AM
    I'll grab a screen shot later, I'm now in a hurry to get to another site - and POTUS, if they're using BB services will have similar tools in BES already and with other services they've taken up, whether Cisco, in their WLAN AP's (lots of Layer 7 functionality in AP's and controller units now), or other equipment and tools.

On record - at no point have I said BlackBerry is lesser or greater security than anything else anywhere in this thread: I'm simply trying to get the point across that the security market BB is vying for is not handset based, it is services based like the one I've screen shot several times for you guys.Both BB and the one I'm showing you are MUCH bigger than what I've shared. The concepts are not the easiest to get your mind around, but when the penny drops you'll have a whole new realm of pretty exciting gadgets and software to get into and it really is worth the journey to do it.
    08-05-15 07:22 AM
    Care to shed some light also why the POTUS is using BlackBerry for secure communication? Anyone?

Because he insisted on using a legacy device?

IIRC, the device wasn't considered secure enough initially, hence the Sectera.

But what does the device he uses (NSA-hardened) mean for regular folks? Even BBRY didn't hang a hat on that, for good reason.

It's kinda like pumping up the perfection of the commercial Boeing 747 because POTUS flies in a version if it (darn! I just used an airplane analogy )
    KongHardrada likes this.
    08-05-15 07:27 AM
    I'll grab a screen shot later, I'm now in a hurry to get to another site - and POTUS, if they're using BB services will have similar tools in BES already and with other services they've taken up, whether Cisco, in their WLAN AP's (lots of Layer 7 functionality in AP's and controller units now), or other equipment and tools.

On record - at no point have I said BlackBerry is lesser or greater security than anything else anywhere in this thread: I'm simply trying to get the point across that the security market BB is vying for is not handset based, it is services based like the one I've screen shot several times for you guys.Both BB and the one I'm showing you are MUCH bigger than what I've shared. The concepts are not the easiest to get your mind around, but when the penny drops you'll have a whole new realm of pretty exciting gadgets and software to get into and it really is worth the journey to do it.
    Actually, it makes sense, I think.

From the person selected to lead the company to moves made to manage all devices, it kind of adds up.

Bla1ze mentioned the logic of BBRY attaching itself to successful entities (Google, Apple and MSFT).

BBRY is adjusting, and that's a good thing.
    ubizmo and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    08-05-15 07:34 AM
    Google this :

BYOD: Jailbreak Jammers Pose Significant Threat to Corporate Networks

Marble Security Labs has issued an alert that highlights a new and dangerous threat to large and small businesses alike. It�s called a Jailbreak Jammer, and, left unchecked, it can seriously compromise network security.

Jailbreak Jammer apps camouflage the fact that a mobile device has been jailbroken or rooted.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    08-05-15 08:26 AM
    That's a story from 2013, and like anything (anti-virus, malware detection etc), the vendors push keep endpoints safe - from BB to Cisco to anyone else you care to mention. They wouldn't be in business if there weren't threats for us to combat, BlackBerry as well.

For the previous post, yes, that's right - BES and BB Services are migrating to management of device fleets (multi manufacturer and operating systems) with tools that also integrate into into other services and systems to make a complete architecture for businesses. Bang on the money.
    08-05-15 08:34 AM
    Another good read : xCon iphone Wiki

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 08:39 AM
    That's a story from 2013, and like anything (anti-virus, malware detection etc), the vendors push keep endpoints safe - from BB to Cisco to anyone else you care to mention. They wouldn't be in business if there weren't threats for us to combat, BlackBerry as well.
    Yes so it is but as these companies work to plug these holes, the hacking community continue to exploit new ones. It is an ongoing scenario and this makes it not so bulletproof is the point!
    BlackBerry devices are not rootable or jailbreakable. Just pointing out what we both said earlier is that it's an ecosystem and any part that fails, it leaves it open to infection.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 08:43 AM
    It's laughable that despite global evidence of migration to other platforms you think your handset driven opinion over network security means more than that of thousands of businesses worldwide. Opinion vs facts and evidence and REAL world IT? You don't win, and frankly you're opinion is unqualified by its sheer lack of understanding of what even BlackBerry itself is doing as a network security vendor and service supplier.

Posted via CB10
    Migration to a platform doesn't mean that the platform is the best. A good case in point, VHS vs Beta, most people moved to VHS, but TV stations and professionals used Beta for a long time as it was the best platform for business and VHS was good for the non-business crowd. BlackBerry phones and BES 12 are the best platform for people who need a secure mobile platform.
    der_mit likes this.
    08-05-15 11:30 AM
    Google this :

BYOD: Jailbreak Jammers Pose Significant Threat to Corporate Networks

Marble Security Labs has issued an alert that highlights a new and dangerous threat to large and small businesses alike. It’s called a Jailbreak Jammer, and, left unchecked, it can seriously compromise network security.

Jailbreak Jammer apps camouflage the fact that a mobile device has been jailbroken or rooted.

Posted via CB10
    Any phone that is rootable can be hacked. The other thing is that all other MDM solutions require a software client on the phone that is a layer on top of the device and not integrated like Balance. That is where other MDM solutions fail badly. Also, you need more than just a MDM, but a secure container for business information by default and highly secure channels from the phone to the corporate data.

Most people who claim to be IT and say that other MDM solutions are much better than BlackBerry's haven't done their homework.
    Superdupont 2_0 and powereds like this.
    08-05-15 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry phones and BES 12 are the best platform for people who need a secure mobile platform.
    This is sheer nonsense. There are different vendors providing solutions similar to what Blackberry is offering. Different clients with different background have different requirements. If you like some of them here think that the Passport is the best, then you can be rest assured that a big part the rest of the world thought you meant the travel document.

The solutions MUST suit the business, not the other way round. And this is not only restricted to security products.
    08-05-15 11:43 AM
    @Bishkin - 100% right

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 11:55 AM
    This is sheer nonsense. There are different vendors providing solutions similar to what Blackberry is offering. Different clients with different background have different requirements. If you like some of them here think that the Passport is the best, then you can be rest assured that a big part the rest of the world thought you meant the travel document.

The solutions MUST suit the business, not the other way round. And this is not only restricted to security products.
    I completely understand your point and your probably 100% correct on that.
    If I may ask for an unbiased opinion from you? Regardless of the business or requirements of the business or their scenario, is BES10 combined with BlackBerry's phone hardware and software, in simplistic terms less of a risk for security weaknesses (hacks, breaches) then other combined solutions using Android or iPhone based on the security holes I noted in previous posts?
    Even if it's only marginal is it better as a whole? I am not trying to argue but only asking for your professional opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 12:36 PM
    BES can't even support Windows and MAC OS to do full mobility as an MDM on laptop users. Even if you invested in an end-to-end BlackBerry architecture, you're STILL left with purchasing another suite for that element. You're asking why BES has been outpaced by other solutions in business and become a minority product, it's because it's so narrow in focus compared to other products that offer the same thing and more that it just isn't worth the rollout process, cost and the godawful admin panels.

You can mix and match the same result or better with other vendors. And you can certainly get better admin tools for workflow and LDAP and enrollment.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 12:47 PM

How many of those solutions are not app based and integrated into the OS?
    08-05-15 01:42 PM
    BES can't even support Windows and MAC OS to do full mobility as an MDM on laptop users. Even if you invested in an end-to-end BlackBerry architecture, you're STILL left with purchasing another suite for that element. You're asking why BES has been outpaced by other solutions in business and become a minority product, it's because it's so narrow in focus compared to other products that offer the same thing and more that it just isn't worth the rollout process, cost and the godawful admin panels.

You can mix and match the same result or better with other vendors. And you can certainly get better admin tools for workflow and LDAP and enrollment.

Posted via CB10
    What a joke, Windows does security by AD policies and doesn't need a MDM solution for laptops. Good security policies are baked into the OS and not an app that runs on top.
    08-05-15 01:45 PM
    Errr... what?

So the OS can report on its location, geo-fencing violations, tell if it's compromised before going onto a network, can control its wireless policy of its own accord and any other number of features? Your lack of understanding of what an EMM or MDM is or does just showed itself to be a yawning gulf.

Here is the Gartner Magic Quadrant for June 2015. Where is BlackBerry? Not a leader, not an innovator, not leading the pack, not able to execute on a broad scale.

What's all this about BlackBerry security-magic-q-1.jpg

Honestly, WTF people? Stop making thing up you think are true and do some f*cking research.
    08-05-15 02:01 PM
    And apps?!?!? Device certificates - ask Google.
    08-05-15 02:11 PM
    Errr... what?

So the OS can report on its location, geo-fencing violations, tell if it's compromised before going onto a network, can control its wireless policy of its own accord and any other number of features? Your lack of understanding of what an EMM or MDM is or does just showed itself to be a yawning gulf.

Here is the Gartner Magic Quadrant for June 2015. Where is BlackBerry? Not a leader, not an innovator, not leading the pack, not able to execute on a broad scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic Q 1.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	365416

Honestly, WTF people? Stop making thing up you think are true and do some f*cking research.
    The same can be said for yourself. The fact that you have to resort to swearing shows a big lack of professionalism and makes your points suspect. The fact that you are using Gartner Magic Quadrant shows how little research you have done and are using them for a resource. I actually installed and tested the MDM solutions before picking BES12. Did you? Gartner Magic Quadrant refuses to disclose the money that they receive from vendors who they test. That is a conflict of interest. They also don't like open source solutions and are geared more towards investors and not customers. If this is your source to pick a solution, you need to do some more research and hands on testing.
    08-05-15 02:17 PM
    And apps?!?!? Device certificates - ask Google.
    Good, MobileIron and others use apps to run the MDM. BlackBerry 10 devices running on BES 12 is the only end to end solution on the market today. Unless you want to point to another solution that doesn't need an app to run a secure business container and supply secure communication. I am waiting.
    The_Passporter and powereds like this.
    08-05-15 02:20 PM
    This is so futile it's gone past ridiculous. You guys carry on being fans of phones, I'll go be someone that actually does it for a living. Thread dumped in frustration.

Posted via CB10
    But you never did leave did you. Can't keep your word?
    der_mit likes this.
    08-05-15 02:22 PM
    I swear because this is the most irritating thread online I've ever been involved in.

As the UK Technical Solutions Manager and Sales Manager for UK and Nordic regions can attest, much to their chagrin, yes - I did use BES12. My case ended up with Head of European Sales, so yes, I went further than most in escalation.

Think before you judge, I'm done with this - enjoy being fanboys, some of us actually do it for a living.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 02:28 PM
    But you never did leave did you. Can't keep your word?
    Don't hold your breath...lol

I think people need to remember this is a place for discussion not ranting and blowing up into a fit when someone doesn't agree with you or has a difference of opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and powereds like this.
    08-05-15 02:59 PM
    I swear because this is the most irritating thread online I've ever been involved in.

As the UK Technical Solutions Manager and Sales Manager for UK and Nordic regions can attest, much to their chagrin, yes - I did use BES12. My case ended up with Head of European Sales, so yes, I went further than most in escalation.

Think before you judge, I'm done with this - enjoy being fanboys, some of us actually do it for a living.

Posted via CB10
    I have actually done IT for over 25 years and programming for 35 so I actually do this for a living. I was a BES 10 beta tester and didn't need to call anyone to get my BES 12 up and running.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that you have to blow a gasket. I don't agree with your position on MDM solutions. And I always personally test technologies and don't believe companies that put out ratings and take money from the companies that they test. Show me a non-profit that does comparisons. That is the only way you are going to get a non-biased opinion or test them yourself.
    08-05-15 03:58 PM
114 12345