I don't think it was included with the iphone itself, a purchased add-on back then.
    01-14-22 07:55 AM
    That calendar issue burned me from EVER trusting BB10 Cal app.
    As I wrote above, they just showed you the next month. It's not the end of the world. A brief tap or pan would have fixed your issue.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    01-14-22 08:04 AM
    I'm guessing the DTG features were the responsibility of DTG on the new bb10 platform . And - timelines- they were probably focused more on Excel compatibility. But yes inserting could have been easier. But knowing how it worked I was able to use it all the same. The launch market disappointment probably stopped further enhancements, bug fixes, being free & bundled also meant no additional revenue to fund enhancements was likely as it shrunk available capital. It was a distinguishing selling feature of the device at the time just to have DTG included.
    Did the BBOS DTG have an undo feature? (On Android DTG, I get the warning dialog "This action cannot be undone." when I insert a row or column.)
    01-14-22 08:08 AM
    Downloading MS Office or Kingsoft Office from Play Store was a security risk?
    After switching from Android to BB10 in 2015, I felt like BB10 DTG was way ahead of Android MS Office. The other app must have either been paid or ad-supported, right? If it displayed ads, that's a pretty big security risk right there.
    01-14-22 08:13 AM
    It was a local program to the device. Nothing was stored remotely.
    I doubt you would really be qualified to vouch for that (complete software capability) . You could repeat what is claimed, but you likely wouldn't know either way,.... that and Android.
    01-14-22 08:17 AM
    After switching from Android to BB10 in 2015, I felt like BB10 DTG was way ahead of Android MS Office. The other app must have either been paid or ad-supported, right? If it displayed ads, that's a pretty big security risk right there.
    They had a basic (but rather comprehensive) free version, enticing you to purchase the premium version. No ads.
    01-14-22 08:19 AM
    I doubt you would really be qualified to vouch for that (complete software capability) . You could repeat what is claimed, but you likely wouldn't know either way,.... that and Android.
    Fine. What about the official Docs To Go Android version that was available at the time too? Would you trust the same devopers as the BlackBerry version?
    01-14-22 08:24 AM
    I don't think it was included with the iphone itself, a purchased add-on back then.
    Technically correct. At time of release, it cost $10. However, it was included with new devices starting with the iPhone 5s, so around the same time BB10 was introduced.
    01-14-22 08:24 AM
    Fine. What about the official Docs To Go Android version that was available at the time too? Would you trust the same devopers as the BlackBerry version?
    More so than Kingsoft, because of the location of the company, however not entirely - you'd have to try to figure out the source of their revenue model before deciding if they were trustworthy, .... that and Android. The fact that BlackBerry later purchased it, however would have alleviated such concerns to a great degree, but still .... Android.
    01-14-22 08:38 AM
    More so than Kingsoft, because of the location of the company, however not entirely - you'd have to try to figure out the source of their revenue model before deciding if they were trustworthy, .... that and Android. The fact that BlackBerry later purchased it, however would have alleviated such concerns to a great degree, but still .... Android.
    BlackBerry bought it in 2010.
    01-14-22 08:42 AM
    Technically correct. At time of release, it cost $10. However, it was included with new devices starting with the iPhone 5s, so around the same time BB10 was introduced.
    Coincidence? You mean in making this move Apple was seriously concerned BB10 was going to wipe them off the map? or was it just project "Purple"?
    01-14-22 08:43 AM
    Coincidence? You mean in making this move Apple was seriously concerned BB10 was going to wipe them off the map? or was it just project "Purple"?
    Speculate on motives all you like. I was merely refuting your assertion that
    no one offered a free Spreadsheet editor built into their offerings other than BlackBerry at the time. Downloading one from an unknown source was always considered a possible security risk for company used phones.
    which is incorrect.
    01-14-22 09:02 AM
    I'm sure in 2012/2013 there was still concern about BlackBerry and the enterprise business that both Apple and Google were starting to see sucess with. But was more of an overall trend of the platforms, even MS started offering basic version on mobile for free. When the PlayBook didn't get BB10, I bought a Windows tablet at the end of 2013... and it came with MS Office for free.
    01-14-22 09:03 AM
    As I wrote above, they just showed you the next month. It's not the end of the world. A brief tap or pan would have fixed your issue.
    Well, certain month combos TOO easily replicate the issue. Somewhat less than "end of world"? I suppose. ?

That particular planning meeting involved coordination between two cranes and various heavy equipment, rigging-milwright-welding crews, local utilities, highway and street dpts, etc, etc. In addition to coordinating MY crew. Maybe not EOW but I sure wouldn't want cost of coordination screw ups subtracted from MY bonus. Lol.

I just wasn't going to add ANY uncertainty into that meeting. Just quietly reverted back to a proven 9930 linked thru PB's hdmi port. No other participants ever suspected anything. Until showing I.T. afterward.

STILL using bbos Cal for private stuff. BB Android on Ks. Never felt need to even try BB10's cal after that. MY motives are what's best for MY company, etc. Making excuses for BB10's delayed rush job is not included in MY job description. Lol.
    01-14-22 10:11 AM
    I'm guessing the DTG features were the responsibility of DTG on the new bb10 platform . And - timelines- they were probably focused more on Excel compatibility. But yes inserting could have been easier. But knowing how it worked I was able to use it all the same. The launch market disappointment probably stopped further enhancements, bug fixes, being free & bundled also meant no additional revenue to fund enhancements was likely as it shrunk available capital. It was a distinguishing selling feature of the device at the time just to have DTG included.
    Yes. The bigger picture is that RIM was trimming costs and delivery schedules in futile effort to generate revenue no longer available thru SAF.

I'm sure the DTG folks got hammered to trim every thin penny AND μS from their product. Simplest solution for my company was to simply keep using the product that had already proven itself. Bold... Lol. Problem solved.
    01-14-22 10:18 AM
    Wasn't Android on BB10 somewhat experimental in 2013? Reports of battery life and response lag issues weren't unheard of. Afaik?
    01-14-22 10:49 AM
    Did the BBOS DTG have an undo feature? (On Android DTG, I get the warning dialog "This action cannot be undone." when I insert a row or column.)
    BBOS "undo" for a row insertion is simply delete the row. Or cut & delete, if to move.
    01-14-22 11:01 AM
    Wasn't Android on BB10 somewhat experimental in 2013? Reports of battery life and response lag issues weren't unheard of. Afaik?
    That wasn't the issue being discussed. The claim was made that other platforms didn't have office apps, when they clearly did.

As far as Android being experimental on BB10 in 2013, that's not accurate. However, the only way they could be installed is by either downloading them from BlackBerry World, or being nerdy and converting them to bar and sideloading them. You couldn't install an apk directly until late 2013.
    01-14-22 11:39 AM
    BBOS "undo" for a row insertion is simply delete the row. Or cut & delete, if to move.
    Well there you have it. The undo feature is a lifesaver for the vast majority of users. It doesn't make sense to lose the ability to undo everything that you did before inserting a row/column. The vast majority of users I'm sure appreciated how easy it was to redo and undo anything on BB10 Docs to Go far more than they would have appreciated the ability to insert a row/column. Why they couldn't figure out a way to code it so that both of those features worked simultaneously is beyond me, but they made the right call on which of those two features to prioritize.
    01-14-22 11:53 AM
    That wasn't the issue being discussed. The claim was made that other platforms didn't have office apps, when they clearly did.

As far as Android being experimental on BB10 in 2013, that's not accurate. However, the only way they could be installed is by either downloading them from BlackBerry World, or being nerdy and converting them to bar and sideloading them. You couldn't install an apk directly until late 2013.
    No, the point was that no one offered an included (and obviously integrated and vetted) Office app like BB10's Docs to Go (spreadsheet / word processor) and actually come to think of it the Playbook did prior to it did on the device from the get go. (Amazon AppStore for Android came with 10.3.1 upgrade to BlackBerry 10 OS, sometime in 2015 , yes and prior they (android apps) were installable as you describe before that -nerdy or not it was a great 2nd/backup option even if they didn't run as fast or as energy conserving as native BB10 apps -if you had no concern for the potential data collection, which many at the time genuinely did)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 01-14-22 at 01:38 PM.
    01-14-22 01:02 PM
    No, the point was that no one offered an included (and obviously integrated and vetted) Office app like BB10's Docs to Go (spreadsheet / word processor) and actually come to think of it the Playbook did prior to it did on the device from the get go. (Amazon AppStore for Android came with 10.3.1 upgrade to BlackBerry 10 OS, sometime in 2015 , yes and prior they (android apps) were installable as you describe before that -nerdy or not it was a great 2nd/backup option even if they didn't run as fast or as energy conserving as native BB10 apps)
    Your "come pre-installed" doesn't mean anything.

In 2013, you could download the same Docs To Go app by the same developers from Google Play for your Android device, or the Appstore for your Apple device.

You could download a free MS Office for both iOS and Android too.

Of course, it doesn't stop there, as there were many others.
    01-14-22 01:13 PM
    Speculate on motives all you like. I was merely refuting your assertion that which is incorrect.
    iphone5s - if it was the first Apple device to include free office tools as you say, pre-installed (they were pre-installed right? or did you have to go and claim them?) anyways that was sep 2013. BlackBerry Playbook had them in April 2011 (2 and 1/2 years before Apple). Clearly BlackBerry led with that, and Apple tried to kill? cut? them off by matching it. And so Apple did not offer a package on the smartphone before BlackBerry , but followed it significantly. Which was clearly unnecessary for the slab leader of the time, with 100 million ipod touches (iphones minus the phone radio) already sold by 2013, and entrenched into the marketplace at the time - clearly to translate into iphones sales shortly thereafter and a nifty revenue pickup on the same consumer.
    01-14-22 01:28 PM

In 2013, you could download the same Docs To Go app by the same developers from Google Play for your Android device, or the Appstore for your Apple device.

Trust was not high for free app downloads back then (even now?) from the PlayStore, the OS was untrustworthy as hell (android), having an already curated office productivity suite on the BlackBerry 10 device was far more appealing and less concerning for users who valued their data to be kept to themselves. The Apps on both major Playstores (Apple and Android) and gaping holes in the OS's were not trustworthy with your data. Not even close on this one. I don't know why you even argue it.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 01-14-22 at 01:54 PM.
    01-14-22 01:33 PM

None of them trustworthy with your financial data, the app or the phone OS. (footnote: I don't think the Docs-to-Go apps were the same on Android as they were on BB10)
    01-14-22 01:41 PM
    Trust was not high for free app downloads back then from the PlayStore, the OS was untrustworthy as hell (android), having an already curated office productivity suite on the BlackBerry 10 device was far more appealing and less concerning for users who valued their data to be kept to themselves. The Apps on both major Playstores (Apple and Android) and gaping holes in the OS's were not trustworthy with your data. Not even close on this one. I don't know why you even argue it.
    ?

Yes there were issues.... downloading apps from unknown vendors. or people installing flashlight apps and fart apps or hack so they could spoof GPS settings or get free hotspot. But I don't think anyone really distrusted downloading an app from Microsoft or Doc to Go.

Enterprise was moving to Apple device in 2013 by the thousands... they seemed to trust Apple as well as Samsung - it made sense for Apple to try and offer some tools Enterprise users would need. BlackBerry left a huge hole in the market by delaying BB10, and then delivering it in an incomplete state.
    01-14-22 01:44 PM
79 1234