It will be interesting to see what will be the cost of
    replacement for a NEW MOBILE phone.
    This is nothing more than planned obsolescence in the guise of progress!
    Remember the mantra of capitalism "newer is always better." SPEND.

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    04-14-21 10:36 PM
    It will be interesting to see what will be the cost of
    replacement for a NEW MOBILE phone.
    This is nothing more than planned obsolescence in the guise of progress!
    Remember the mantra of capitalism "newer is always better." SPEND.

Posted via CB10
    However, 5G isn’t really the planned obsolescence but actual improvement because it makes better use of limited resources. So many use enormous amounts of data powering their connected live ecosystems.
    04-15-21 06:52 AM
    It is a waste. Not good for the environment. Things should be designed to last. Like this Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Also software supprt should have longer periods instead of moving to a new version every 2 years.
    That bad are their engineers that everything has to be changed?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-21 02:42 AM
    I don't know if I understand the initial question. Why not use the BB in 2022? If BB shuts down his services only a few features doesn't work anymore. If the cell provider shuts down 3G this year - I use 4G with my Z30.
    So what's the problem? Please tell me if I'm wrong!
    04-19-21 08:25 AM
    I don't know if I understand the initial question. Why not use the BB in 2022? If BB shuts down his services only a few features doesn't work anymore. If the cell provider shuts down 3G this year - I use 4G with my Z30.
    Depends on you carrier... in the US it seems current version of VoLTE will not function on the Z30's (or most pre 2014 phones) LTE/4G... so at best it would give you data only, but no calls or texts.

If the whole App Store, Assistant, BBM, Maps and the computer programs LINK and BLEND mean nothing too you... no problem at all. Also you may never be able to reload your OS without the activation servers...

So yeah there are good reasons to question using a BBOS or BB10 device in 2022.... in the end we will just have to wait and see.

Of course if you wait, and aren't prepared like some who have already moved on without BBID on their phone... might be too late.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 04-19-21 at 09:16 AM.
    04-19-21 08:42 AM
    Depends on you carrier... in the US it seems current version of VoLTE will not function on the Z30's (or most pre 2014 phones) LTE/4G... so at best it would give you data only, but no calls or texts.

If the whole App Store, Assistant, BBM, Maps and the computer programs LINK and BLEND mean nothing too you... no problem at all. Also you may never be able to reload your OS without the activation servers...

So yeah there are good reasons to question using a BBOS or BB10 device in 2022.... in the end we will just have to wait and see.
    Thanks for your fast reply! I'm in Germany and till now I have no problems with 4G and calls. Otherwise I would change to 2G for calls and 4G for data.
    But you are absolutely right - at the end we have to wait and see!
    04-19-21 08:49 AM
    You're confusing 4G with VoLTE.
    04-19-21 09:13 AM
    In the nutshell, u can use bb10 devices as long as your carrier supports 3G/4G network (4G but not with VoLTE).
    04-20-21 10:48 PM
    In the nutshell, u can use bb10 devices as long as your carrier supports 3G/4G network (4G but not with VoLTE).
    Well not entirely since BB will also be shutting down BB10 servers at beginning of next year.
    04-21-21 05:30 AM
    Also software supprt should have longer periods instead of moving to a new version every 2 years.
    That bad are their engineers that everything has to be changed?

Posted via CB10
    This symptom has crept into beyond just things like phones, tablets and PCs, etc... Maybe I am just getting old and cynical, but it seems to me that there is now a lot that is done quite crappily with an expectation of acceptable. It's not primarily the fault of the developers in my opinion. More so probably the business drivers when perhaps coupled with different generations and also society's willingness to deem all of such as acceptable.

Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
    anon(5597702) and Old_Mil like this.
    04-21-21 06:24 AM
    Well not entirely since BB will also be shutting down BB10 servers at beginning of next year.
    I sincerely hope they actually do it this time, instead of postponing (again) the inevitable.
    04-21-21 06:34 AM
    This symptom has crept into beyond just things like phones, tablets and PCs, etc... Maybe I am just getting old and cynical, but it seems to me that there is now a lot that is done quite crappily with an expectation of acceptable. It's not primarily the fault of the developers in my opinion. More so probably the business drivers when perhaps coupled with different generations and also society's willingness to deem all of such as acceptable.

Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
    Yes! The simplest things break. Everything is engineered to fail. I think they are made in China most often.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-21 09:32 AM
    Yes! The simplest things break. Everything is engineered to fail. I think they are made in China most often.

Posted via CB10
    Made in China does not speak to quality. Things can be built there well or poorly, just like anywhere else.

Not many people complained about the quality of iPhones or Huawei flagships.
    04-21-21 09:47 AM
    I'm going to continue my hunt to backfill the gaps in my BB collection in 2022. Hoping that as time goes by, I can get my wants at a cheaper price. Currently looking for an AT&T Passport, a black KEY2, a Storm and a Storm 2.
    04-21-21 09:54 AM
    Made in China does not speak to quality. Things can be built there well or poorly, just like anywhere else.

Not many people complained about the quality of iPhones or Huawei flagships.
    Oh, no. One of those comments.

Things can be made either well or poorly in either Switzerland or China. Proportionally, China makes more poorly made things than Switzerland. Or Germany. Or Japan. Or the US... I mean, we can all observe the world and form judgments on these things, right?

I would venture to say that many things made in China take "poorly made" to another level. Like poorly made so that people are injured from products in ways we never would have anticipated in the last century.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-21 05:08 PM
    Oh, no. One of those comments.

Things can be made either well or poorly in either Switzerland or China. Proportionally, China makes more poorly made things than Switzerland. Or Germany. Or Japan. Or the US... I mean, we can all observe the world and form judgments on these things, right?

I would venture to say that many things made in China take "poorly made" to another level. Like poorly made so that people are injured from products in ways we never would have anticipated in the last century.

Posted via CB10
    I would put any current flagship-level device built in China against any comparable-class product anywhere in the world. If you compare apples to apples (pun partially intended), they are AT LEAST as good as any other country.

Does China also have a lot of manufacturers paid to produce cheap, low-end products? Absolutely. But that's not a function of capability.

My issue with China is not quality of like-products, but concern for security.
    ajgilloh and mikael11 like this.
    04-21-21 05:45 PM
    I don't run email on my Android. It's strictly for sillly apps I can't run on my Passport. Mainly wasting time swiping on dating profiles and never getting hits worth anything.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. Email on BB10 still can't be beat, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-21 06:42 PM
    I would put any current flagship-level device built in China against any comparable-class product anywhere in the world. If you compare apples to apples (pun partially intended), they are AT LEAST as good as any other country.

Does China also have a lot of manufacturers paid to produce cheap, low-end products? Absolutely. But that's not a function of capability.

Agreed. Chinese manufacturers are very diverse. Some are cheap and transaction oriented, others are premium and focus on quality and long term partnerships.

But they all have to play ball with the Chinese government, and that severely limits their trustworthiness.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 04-22-21 at 05:20 PM.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    04-21-21 06:45 PM

China is a low trust society compared to the US. It goes beyond making something cheap on purpose and with full disclosure.

In China they do things like lie to buyers about components they use in the factory. They put filler in plastics so that they can't serve their functions for more than a month before breaking.

Have you read the news stories about toxic Chinese products? I don't think Japan did this in the 1970s. Or Korea or Hong Kong.

I didn't say Apple hasn't mastered the system and gotten value out of China. But few companies can police their Chinese factories like Apple.

There is a reason I can't walk into a Walmart or Home Depot without having an allergic reaction it's so toxic. China!

Posted via CB10
    Old_Mil likes this.
    04-22-21 02:33 PM
    China is a low trust society compared to the US. It goes beyond making something cheap on purpose and with full disclosure.

In China they do things like lie to buyers about components they use in the factory. They put filler in plastics so that they can't serve their functions for more than a month before breaking.

Have you read the news stories about toxic Chinese products? I don't think Japan did this in the 1970s. Or Korea or Hong Kong.

I didn't say Apple hasn't mastered the system and gotten value out of China. But few companies can police their Chinese factories like Apple.

There is a reason I can't walk into a Walmart or Home Depot without having an allergic reaction it's so toxic. China!

Posted via CB10
    Cheap stuff isn't known for good quality. News at 11.
    04-22-21 03:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's true of cheap manufacturers everywhere, but more so in places like China where legal recourse is difficult.

But it's also possible to source top quality production in China in many industries if that's what you're looking for. It's just not the reason most Western companies choose when they make outsourcing decisions.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-21 05:24 PM
    Me? I am going to love my Passport more.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-21 02:06 PM
    That's true of cheap manufacturers everywhere, but more so in places like China where legal recourse is difficult.

But it's also possible to source top quality production in China in many industries if that's what you're looking for. It's just not the reason most Western companies choose when they make outsourcing decisions.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, yes. Here is my thing. They take advantage. They can take cheap to another level unknown to previous generations. Toxic fillers is one example.

All societies in all times are the same is a maddening assertion to me.

Posted via CB10
    Old_Mil likes this.
    04-23-21 09:52 PM
    Yes, yes. Here is my thing. They take advantage. They can take cheap to another level unknown to previous generations. Toxic fillers is one example.

Posted via CB10
    You're talking like all of China operates as a unit.

There are many foreign operations in China too - like Foxconn.

As far as local smartphones go (Huawei, Xiaomi, TCL, OnePlus, etc), they all seem to do very well with durability tests, and have well-reviewed fit and finish.

My beef with Chinese hardware has nothing to do with build quality.
    04-23-21 10:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    China is a very large country, with a very wide range of manufacturers. To whom are you referring when you say "they?"

Posted via CB10
    04-23-21 11:59 PM
65 123