I've collected a few Blackberry phones over the years. Currently I have the Passport Classic, Z30, Leap and 2 Z10's. Don't know what I will do with them next year. I was wondering what others will do with their phones next year when they can't use them for calls and messeges? I can't use my Passport with AT&T anymore. When I used my ATT sim card, the number was suspended, saying it is an unkown device. I called them and they reactivated the number, so I thought it would be ok. A few days later they suspnded it again, same reason.
    04-05-21 11:43 PM
    I've collected a few Blackberry phones over the years. Currently I have the Passport Classic, Z30, Leap and 2 Z10's. Don't know what I will do with them next year. I was wondering what others will do with their phones next year when they can't use them for calls and messeges? I can't use my Passport with AT&T anymore. When I used my ATT sim card, the number was suspended, saying it is an unkown device. I called them and they reactivated the number, so I thought it would be ok. A few days later they suspnded it again, same reason.
    Same thing I'm doing with them now - keeping them all in a drawer and pulling one out every now and then to tinker a bit.
    04-05-21 11:49 PM
    Email, Blend, Audible, podcasts, BBTube and maybe wifi calling(?).

Blend is critical for me. If I have to use my dual carry Android as a Hotspot and phone I will. That might be my solution.

I have used a very slim, small HTC for Android apps. An updated one would be ideal for dual carry when 3G goes down. Whatever is the slimmest device so I can pocket it back to back with my Passport without screen damage.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-06-21 03:13 PM
    Email, Blend, Audible, podcasts, BBTube and maybe wifi calling(?).

Blend is critical for me. If I have to use my dual carry Android as a Hotspot and phone I will. That might be my solution.

I have used a very slim, small HTC for Android apps. An updated one would be ideal for dual carry when 3G goes down. Whatever is the slimmest device so I can pocket it back to back with my Passport without screen damage.

Posted via CB10
    Love Blend, but doesnt Windows Your Phone fill that gap on the Android side?
    04-06-21 07:17 PM
    Love Blend, but doesnt Windows Your Phone fill that gap on the Android side?
    I don't run email on my Android. It's strictly for sillly apps I can't run on my Passport. Mainly wasting time swiping on dating profiles and never getting hits worth anything.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-21 01:53 AM
    No doubt I have likely missed the official announcement of doom and the end of the universe. Will have to find a towel (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe). Notwithstanding, I assume my phones will continue to work for calls, emails, sms, perhaps even WA, Line, etc.....At least I hope so.
    04-07-21 08:06 AM
    No doubt I have likely missed the official announcement of doom and the end of the universe. Will have to find a towel (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe). Notwithstanding, I assume my phones will continue to work for calls, emails, sms, perhaps even WA, Line, etc.....At least I hope so.
    Data should be ok. But calls and sms will likely be a no go.
    04-07-21 08:11 AM
    Same thing I'm doing with them now - keeping them all in a drawer and pulling one out every now and then to tinker a bit.
    I love seeing how much they still do and many times they do still amaze.
    04-07-21 08:22 AM
    Wow, you brought back some memories. I used to play (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe) as a text game on my Commodore 68.
    04-07-21 11:27 AM
    I'm planning to keep using them. As far as I know we've got 3G for a few more years in Canada and I plan on being the subject of a newspaper story about the 3G sunset
    04-07-21 07:50 PM
    Oh, "bad word", "bad word", "fire truck"....

Had not heard that terrible news. Could it possibly be the US only in a shift to artificially drive everyone to 5G? It seems most of the world where I work and live such as Canada, Japan, HK, Europe that 3G will continue. In fact in Japan is still allowing the use of the FOMA and 3G to 2025 according to my assistant....
    04-08-21 01:30 AM
    I'm planning to keep using them. As far as I know we've got 3G for a few more years in Canada and I plan on being the subject of a newspaper story about the 3G sunset

And if not, I will be forced to hang out north of the Narrows, fishing around Anstey Arm . . . . Have to find meaning somewhere if I can't use my BB10. Smile.
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    04-08-21 01:34 AM
    Data should be ok. But calls and sms will likely be a no go.
    So they will be like Blackberries 20 years ago? Perfect symmetry.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-21 04:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except lacking the impressive status of back then.
    04-09-21 04:09 PM
    Oh, "bad word", "bad word", "fire truck"....

Had not heard that terrible news. Could it possibly be the US only in a shift to artificially drive everyone to 5G? It seems most of the world where I work and live such as Canada, Japan, HK, Europe that 3G will continue. In fact in Japan is still allowing the use of the FOMA and 3G to 2025 according to my assistant....
    No, it's to force everyone to supported VoLTE phones - at least recent 4G phones (which BB10 is not recent enough), so carriers can re-farm the 3G bands to 5G.
    04-09-21 06:24 PM
    No, it's to force everyone to supported VoLTE phones - at least recent 4G phones (which BB10 is not recent enough), so carriers can re-farm the 3G bands to 5G.
    More like you will BUY NEW.......
    Old_Mil likes this.
    04-10-21 08:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure I understand your point.

We're talking about BB10 devices - along with every 3G calling device ever made.
    04-10-21 01:27 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your point.

We're talking about BB10 devices - along with every 3G calling device ever made.
    They will not be talking devices but primarily email machines.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-21 03:48 PM
    They will not be talking devices but primarily email machines.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder what is the obsession for determined obsolescence. And the willingness of the masses to accept a never ending cycle of planned destruction? While I do understand improvements, the IT world ethos, if translated to automobiles would be the equivalent of forcing all cars older than 10 years off the road.....
    anon(5597702), bh7171 and dpgo like this.
    04-12-21 01:03 AM
    I wonder what is the obsession for determined obsolescence. And the willingness of the masses to accept a never ending cycle of planned destruction? While I do understand improvements, the IT world ethos, if translated to automobiles would be the equivalent of forcing all cars older than 10 years off the road.....
    It is a waste. Not good for the environment. Things should be designed to last. Like this Passport.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and Alfista83 like this.
    04-12-21 02:29 AM
    It is a waste. Not good for the environment. Things should be designed to last. Like this Passport.

Posted via CB10
    At some level, this is a phase in the automotive industry. Corporations need a certain level of revenue to cover overhead. The largest overhead are employees in most corporations and difficult to reduce wages.

The push and pull is always between higher volumes or higher prices. Do consumers want $200/year or $2000/decade with respective consequences?
    04-12-21 05:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    I am fundamentally opposed to "upgrading" every year, but here we are not talking about moronic people who replace their Note 20 Ultra for the S21 Ultra at release (with the former about half a year old), but obsolete devices running a commercially failed OS which their own maker abandoned (or will abandon completely in the coming months) which do not support a mobile network feature considered basic in this year and age (VoLTE). If all these BB10's were one year old or so, I would be with you. Not this time.
    the_boon and anon(5597702) like this.
    04-12-21 06:05 AM
    My bend is not working anymore
    Actually I can't reinstall it on my computer

Don't know why

BBM is just fine for now

Posted via CB10
    04-12-21 10:38 AM
    I wonder what is the obsession for determined obsolescence. And the willingness of the masses to accept a never ending cycle of planned destruction?
    First, we are talking about devices that are 7+ years old, and these are devices that, due to the rapid change of technology, are only intended to be used as primary devices for 3 years. But this really is less about the devices.

Rather, this is about the need for cellular networks to move forward. 3G technology is far too inefficient to handle the tidal wave of mobile data usage that is about to crash onto the carriers. Self-driving vehicles, drone package delivery, and many other things are being held back because they will crash the current network. Using the very limited bandwidth more efficiently is what 5G is all about, and it's way less about phones and more about new technologies that are about to hit widespread deployments.

But 5G can't be rolled out without shutting down 3G, because 5G is going on those same frequencies. This isn't an anti-BB or anti-older phone conspiracy - it's about keeping the networks functional as demand skyrockets.
    04-12-21 04:00 PM
    First, we are talking about devices that are 7+ years old, and these are devices that, due to the rapid change of technology, are only intended to be used as primary devices for 3 years. But this really is less about the devices.

Rather, this is about the need for cellular networks to move forward. 3G technology is far too inefficient to handle the tidal wave of mobile data usage that is about to crash onto the carriers. Self-driving vehicles, drone package delivery, and many other things are being held back because they will crash the current network. Using the very limited bandwidth more efficiently is what 5G is all about, and it's way less about phones and more about new technologies that are about to hit widespread deployments.

But 5G can't be rolled out without shutting down 3G, because 5G is going on those same frequencies. This isn't an anti-BB or anti-older phone conspiracy - it's about keeping the networks functional as demand skyrockets.
    100% correct, it is just how some companies are doing things.....I love my PassPort and use it when ever I can. I also know it is on borrowed time. Just enjoy your BB devices until they stop working.....
    04-12-21 05:41 PM
65 123