BlackBerry will never release the BB10 OS into open source. There are too much work to remove any patents and once complete, you wouldn't end up with BB10 OS. They are not going to waste any money making it open source. Although I would love for them to and I would be the first to download and work on it.
    HP did it with webOS. They wasted money open sourcing it and replacing all blobs with open source variants. And now we have the community developed LuneOS as a continuation of webOS thanks to HP's efforts. If HP can do it, then BlackBerry can do it as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 12:24 AM
    HP did it with webOS. They wasted money open sourcing it and replacing all blobs with open source variants. And now we have the community developed LuneOS as a continuation of webOS thanks to HP's efforts. If HP can do it, then BlackBerry can do it as well.

Posted via CB10
    Except the actual OS in BB10 is QNX which was and is a commercial success in its own right.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-13-15 04:06 AM
    I'd rather hope they focus on stabilizing the OS with more than just the promised 10.3.3 update. There's still a lot of BlackBerry 10 stocked waiting to be purchased and they are able to run BlackBerry 10 OS just fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 04:28 AM
    Personally, I still really hope BlackBerry will at least be releasing a new and improved Passport running BB10. It's a unique, albeit somewhat of a niche device, with absolutely no viable alternatives currently on the market. The wide screen, the battery life and the excellent pkb combined with the consistent usability of BB10 is simply unmatched. For me, none of the current devices on the market can even begin to measure up to the Passport experience.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2789
    11-13-15 12:19 PM
    I'd rather hope they focus on stabilizing the OS with more than just the promised 10.3.3 update. There's still a lot of BlackBerry 10 stocked waiting to be purchased and they are able to run BlackBerry 10 OS just fine.

Posted via CB10
    The BB10 stock will be never ended .
    11-13-15 01:05 PM
    Did BlackBerry announce that themselves? I don't recall hearing that. I take it that's YOUR personal feelings to the question.

Posted via CB10
    I talked to a member of BlackBerry 10 team who got laid off. He said they are going android now. There's only going to be two more security updates on os 10 and no more new phones. I'm sorry Mr. Chen but I will never buy an android BlackBerry. Hope you get a lot of new customers.

Posted via CB10
    Asvertus and Vistaus like this.
    11-14-15 03:46 AM
    I talked to a member of BlackBerry 10 team who got laid off. He said they are going android now. There's only going to be two more security updates on os 10 and no more new phones. I'm sorry Mr. Chen but I will never buy an android BlackBerry. Hope you get a lot of new customers.

Posted via CB10
    So I guess the only other option is IOS?

I must be honest and say, I really really dislike Android. I love BlackBerry's swipe gestures to get through the OS which is why I stayed with them from OS 7 days. It's also the reason I love OSx on Mac so much. There is a lot a swiping and finger gestures that you can use and it's what I enjoy.

That being said, if I was to ever own a Android device, it would only be from BlackBerry. If they are moving to Android, I will still support them and purchase the devices I like the look of but I will try to keep my bb10 devices running as long as possible

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 12:32 PM
    Except the actual OS in BB10 is QNX which was and is a commercial success in its own right.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    One possible way would be to rebuild the kernel with similar lines of existing Linux code.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 01:01 PM
    One possible way would be to rebuild the kernel with similar lines of existing Linux code.

Posted via CB10
    In what way would that be different from Android? How tightly the UI of BB10 is tied to QNX is not known. Linux doesn't have the same real-time capability as QNX, by a long way.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-14-15 04:11 PM
    None :P

Posted via CB10 ; Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2639
    11-15-15 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    +1

I agree with this... although after burning so much potential (great devices, brilliant operating system) and burning so many loyal customers (Playbook, OS10 devices) I'm ambivalent about how I feel towards any future success for the company.
    BBHermes likes this.
    11-16-15 02:35 AM
    There will be BlackBerry 10 devices in the future. BlackBerry 10 NEVER DIES.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 03:43 AM
    There will be BlackBerry 10 devices in the future. BlackBerry 10 NEVER DIES.

Posted via CB10
    Magical thinking makes BB10 invincible. Go team BlackBerry!
    11-16-15 10:09 AM
    I know all you guys are thinking that BlackBerry is done...but until then..
    I do too wish for a new bb10 hand set
    Or I will stay with my Z10 till the end..
    Old but fantastic phone does all I need
    And fast... bb10 is irreplaceable

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 09:08 PM
    If they are going to release a new BB10 device next year expect the passport internals (no new driver costs), so that only leaves either the following options: slider, classic 2, or full touchscreen.

Also, I would expect no carrier support for any new BB10 devices unless it is replacing an existing model that was profitable for the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 11:11 PM
    +1

I agree with this... although after burning so much potential (great devices, brilliant operating system) and burning so many loyal customers (Playbook, OS10 devices) I'm ambivalent about how I feel towards any future success for the company.
    We all have the same taste in our mouths.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 10:13 PM
    If they are going to release a new BB10 device next year expect the passport internals (no new driver costs), so that only leaves either the following options: slider, classic 2, or full touchscreen.

Also, I would expect no carrier support for any new BB10 devices unless it is replacing an existing model that was profitable for the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    Fine with me. The PP still has very good specs today. No need for anything more. At least IMHO. So a PP2 with the PP specs is something I do welcome.

Although what you seem to forget is that they could technically use the Priv's specs as well if they'd use libhybris on a new BB10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 01:23 AM
    I started out looking for information on the Passport Porche Design and started running down the rabbit hole of multiple different conversations about this switch to Android,..

Personally I have had several Apple and Android devices as well as the new BB10. Let's be real, from a user interface they aren't that drastically different. Swipe left and right, apps are here or there, settings, functions etc... Each has its own unique offerings, but if you have used a smart phone you catch on quickly. (For the record I love BB10)

The real problem with BB is marketing and apps. Every time I pull out my Passport SE I get a million questions and people LOVE it, yet, their first response is always, "I didn't know BlackBerry was still in business" There is no brand awareness and the idiotic sheep like masses continue to run into phone stores to purchase Apple and Android devices. The Priv was a great opportunity for BB to change that and they failed. The only real problem with BB10 is the fact the 18-30 yr olds, (the market that just turns through phones every 6 months) don't think BB is cool, or don't even know it exists.

Then the few who do, and give it a shot are disappointed Bc they can't even download Snap Chat to send drunk **** shots to all their friends or call an Uber to go pick up the chick they just met on Tinder.

The older generation just wants to fit in and be accepted, desperately trying to stay relevant they buy whatever they see on TV since they never leave the house or workplace while raising the same kids who beg them for the newest "it" thing, same thing they just saw on TV, another ****ty iPhone.

All BB10 needs is a functioning Play Store out of the box, Bc heaven knows the average 45 year old mother of 2 can't sit down and figure out how to side load a program just to get a working Play Store to download apps.

EVEN WORSE, I literally walked into an At store yesterday because I wanted too play with a Priv since I was considering getting one as a second phone.It didn't even have the prices listed, it wasn't on their price sheet, the girl couldn't hardly tell me anything about the phone other than "No one buys it" But she could instantly rip off the specs of the 6 Plus from memory and go into detail about the current buy one get one free deal that's going on.

Oh yea, social experiment, that's the 3rd store I've been in with this type of experience. So not only are they lacking on app support, marketing, and brand awareness, they play second fiddle when people walk in and need to be sold.

Customer: "Hi, I'm here because I need a new phone and don't really know much about phones I just need a new one"

Employee: "Oh well right here have the newest iPhone model that's popular with all the kids and movie stars. It's really cool, I have one and love it. Plus it has a great deal going on today!"

Customer: "Oh really? I better buy that then."

The only Priv's that are selling are to the people who walk in specifically ask for that phone.

They need to create want, they need to get people to look at the phones on the other side of the store, and their products like the Passport and Priv are unique enough to just that, problem is the average user doesn't even know they exist....

-Andrew.

P.S. What is the deal with the Porsche Design Passport? That is going to be my 30th b day present to myself.
    ediggity and Vistaus like this.
    12-22-15 08:34 PM
    I started out looking for information on the Passport Porche Design and started running down the rabbit hole of multiple different conversations about this switch to Android,..

Personally I have had several Apple and Android devices as well as the new BB10. Let's be real, from a user interface they aren't that drastically different. Swipe left and right, apps are here or there, settings, functions etc... Each has its own unique offerings, but if you have used a smart phone you catch on quickly. (For the record I love BB10)

The real problem with BB is marketing and apps. Every time I pull out my Passport SE I get a million questions and people LOVE it, yet, their first response is always, "I didn't know BlackBerry was still in business" There is no brand awareness and the idiotic sheep like masses continue to run into phone stores to purchase Apple and Android devices. The Priv was a great opportunity for BB to change that and they failed. The only real problem with BB10 is the fact the 18-30 yr olds, (the market that just turns through phones every 6 months) don't think BB is cool, or don't even know it exists.

Then the few who do, and give it a shot are disappointed Bc they can't even download Snap Chat to send drunk **** shots to all their friends or call an Uber to go pick up the chick they just met on Tinder.
    I'm 23 and I wouldn't want anything else than BB10, I love BB10 and my Passport! And I don't use ****ty apps like SnapChat and stuff.

I know I'm probably an exception though, but I just wanted to let you know.

Btw, Uber works fine on BB10, just use the mobile site.

And I do agree with your other points regarding brand awareness and store personel not promoting BB10.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-23-15 01:25 AM

The older generation just wants to fit in and be accepted, desperately trying to stay relevant they buy whatever they see on TV since they never leave the house or workplace while raising the same kids who beg them for the newest "it" thing, same thing they just saw on TV, another ****ty iPhone.

All BB10 needs is a functioning Play Store out of the box, Bc heaven knows the average 45 year old mother of 2 can't sit down and figure out how to side load a program just to get a working Play Store to download apps.

EVEN WORSE, I literally walked into an At store yesterday because I wanted too play with a Priv since I was considering getting one as a second phone.It didn't even have the prices listed, it wasn't on their price sheet, the girl couldn't hardly tell me anything about the phone other than "No one buys it" But she could instantly rip off the specs of the 6 Plus from memory and go into detail about the current buy one get one free deal that's going on.

Oh yea, social experiment, that's the 3rd store I've been in with this type of experience. So not only are they lacking on app support, marketing, and brand awareness, they play second fiddle when people walk in and need to be sold.

Customer: "Hi, I'm here because I need a new phone and don't really know much about phones I just need a new one"

Employee: "Oh well right here have the newest iPhone model that's popular with all the kids and movie stars. It's really cool, I have one and love it. Plus it has a great deal going on today!"

Customer: "Oh really? I better buy that then."

The only Priv's that are selling are to the people who walk in specifically ask for that phone.

They need to create want, they need to get people to look at the phones on the other side of the store, and their products like the Passport and Priv are unique enough to just that, problem is the average user doesn't even know they exist....

-Andrew.

P.S. What is the deal with the Porsche Design Passport? That is going to be my 30th b day present to myself.
    Last evening I walked for hours in the city centre of Cologne for a BlackBerry Passport SE because I really want to see it in my hand before I decide which one to buy, the SE or the OG. Everywhere the answer was "we don't sell Blackberrys ". I also looked for it in the stores from Netherlands for several weeks but no luck.
    How could they sell a big quantity if you can not find any BlackBerry in the stores?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 01:32 AM
    Last evening I walked for hours in the city centre of Cologne for a BlackBerry Passport SE because I really want to see it in my hand before I decide which one to buy, the SE or the OG. Everywhere the answer was "we don't sell Blackberrys ". I also looked for it in the stores from Netherlands for several weeks but no luck.
    How could they sell a big quantity if you can not find any BlackBerry in the stores?

Posted via CB10
    In The Netherlands, you can buy the Passport, Leap and Classic in the Belsimpel.nl Web Store or physical stores. Coolblue PDAShop also sells them online and in their physical stores.

12-23-15 01:38 AM
    In The Netherlands, you can buy the Passport, Leap and Classic in the Belsimpel.nl Web Store or physical stores. Coolblue PDAShop also sells them online and in their physical stores.

Thank you. I'll go to Romania this evening. If I will not buy it before I'll be back in the Netherlands I will check in those stores.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 02:56 AM
    BlackBerry will most likely have a device that will run the windows phone OS or bb10 with Windows using the hypervisor. Long term I see BlackBerry having devices that Support all major mobile OSes except Apple.

Apples unwillingness to open its OS to other hardware manufacturers will one day be it's undoing.

Blackberrys willingness to build hardware for multiple OS platforms is what will save it.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 04:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why? Linux can not hold a candle to QNX. In fact, some Linux flavors have been trying to be more like QNX, and have failed. The QNX micro kernel is the best hands down and they know it.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-23-15 04:33 AM
    No.new devices. Two android devices ready to roll March 2016

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 08:48 AM
120 ... 2345