Yup, the text you quoted from their policy is what killed it for me. 30 days isn't as good as TorGuard's claim that they don't retain info: "not even for a second"
    I think you're fooling yourself. Your carrier and your ISP have that information, probability keep it way longer than 30 days and turn it over on request. But it's your choice to make.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 07:24 PM
    I think you're fooling yourself. Your carrier and your ISP have that information, probability keep it way longer than 30 days and turn it over on request. But it's your choice to make.

Posted via CB10
    With the proper VPN settings and features your carrier and ISP won't know it's you, that's the point.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Z3 running BlackBerry 10 - 2BBEAACF
    jope28 likes this.
    11-11-14 07:49 PM
    With the proper VPN settings and features your carrier and ISP won't know it's you, that's the point.

Sorry, but your nicely encrypted VPN packets will be originating from your IP address, assigned by your ISP. VPNs can hide the content, but not the fact that you are using one.

If the packets are not properly addressed to the VPN server, they won't get there. If they don't have your address in plain text, the intervening routers won't be able to get the replies back to you.

Ergo a reasonably competent ISP, or any one monitoring the connection, will know someone at your IP is using a VPN and who you are taking to. It is a virtual private network. It provides privacy for the content. It does not hide the fact that some unknown content is moving between endpoints.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:48 PM
    Sorry, but your nicely encrypted VPN packets will be originating from your IP address, assigned by your ISP. VPNs can hide the content, but not the fact that you are using one.

If the packets are not properly addressed to the VPN server, they won't get there. If they don't have your address in plain text, the intervening routers won't be able to get the replies back to you.

Ergo a reasonably competent ISP, or any one monitoring the connection, will know someone at your IP is using a VPN and who you are taking to. It is a virtual private network. It provides privacy for the content. It does not hide the fact that some unknown content is moving between endpoints.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the ISP and/or carrier does know your IP address. But the VPN I have uses shared IP addresses for its subscribers so I am one of hundreds of people sending traffic over the same IP address.

Besides, I am in a country that uses primarily prepaid sim cards so my carrier doesn't know who I am anyway.

Nothing is full proof. We can just take the best precautions available within our means.

11-11-14 10:48 PM

Hey jefbeard, are you using any custom settings or other apps with TorGuard other than what you posted earlier in your screenshot, or did you simply follow their guide (the one you linked to) and nothing more?

Or were you simply referring to TorGuard's shared IP feature?
    11-11-14 11:54 PM
    Hey jefbeard, are you using any custom settings or other apps with TorGuard other than what you posted earlier in your screenshot, or did you simply follow their guide (the one you linked to) and nothing more?

Or were you simply referring to TorGuard's shared IP feature?
    No, just referring to their shared IP address feature. They also just came out with an additional features called Stealth mode. Free for all. Haven't read too much upon that yet though..

11-12-14 12:24 AM
    I was just reading about Stealth mode. Basically, it tunnels your initial packets so that your ISP doesn't think you're connecting to a VPN. This was mainly intended for countries where ISPs block connections to VPN services, but it's also nice to have if you don't want your ISP to know you're using a VPN to avoid their censorship of web content or whatever. Unfortunately, it requires OpenVPN which we can't use on a BB, but I'll confirm with their customer support and let you know.
    11-12-14 01:11 AM
    Yes, the ISP and/or carrier does know your IP address. But the VPN I have uses shared IP addresses for its subscribers so I am one of hundreds of people sending traffic over the same IP address.

Besides, I am in a country that uses primarily prepaid sim cards so my carrier doesn't know who I am anyway.

Nothing is full proof. We can just take the best precautions available within our means.

They are referring to the IP address you use when leaving their server. This is a good thing, but doesn't prevent what I'm talking about since it isn't applied to your traffic until after it arrives at the VPN server.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 04:20 AM
    They are referring to the IP address you use when leaving their server. This is a good thing, but doesn't prevent what I'm talking about since it isn't applied to your traffic until after it arrives at the VPN server.
    Yup, that's how ISPs can stop you from using VPNs in the first place (like in some countries), which is where TorGuard's Stealth VPN is supposed to come in handy.

Well, I asked TorGuard's poor customer support (not the first time I talk to this guy), if Stealth VPN can be used with IKEv2, and if we can replace the server listed in their BB10 guide with one of their Stealth-enabled servers, and he said yes. This was after a lot of question dodging because he didn't seem to know the answers, so I think he was just trying to get rid of me...

jefbeard, if you want to try this out for us, log into your account and then go to torguard.net/serverstatus.php. I can't see that page because I have to log in, and I don't have an account yet. When I asked the customer support rep if that page lists the Stealth-enabled servers, he said yes. So if you DO see the Stealth servers listed, pick one out, and then replace the server in your BB10 VPN settings with the new one and see if it works. Let us know please
    11-12-14 05:54 AM

jefbeard, if you want to try this out for us, log into your account and then go to torguard.net/serverstatus.php. I can't see that page because I have to log in, and I don't have an account yet. When I asked the customer support rep if that page lists the Stealth-enabled servers, he said yes. So if you DO see the Stealth servers listed, pick one out, and then replace the server in your BB10 VPN settings with the new one and see if it works. Let us know please
    OK, I'll check it out and let everyone know. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the heads up.

11-12-14 07:14 AM
    Yup, that's how ISPs can stop you from using VPNs in the first place (like in some countries), which is where TorGuard's Stealth VPN is supposed to come in handy.

Well, I asked TorGuard's poor customer support (not the first time I talk to this guy), if Stealth VPN can be used with IKEv2, and if we can replace the server listed in their BB10 guide with one of their Stealth-enabled servers, and he said yes. This was after a lot of question dodging because he didn't seem to know the answers, so I think he was just trying to get rid of me...

Stealth just sounds like OpenVPN over an HTTP proxy: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-s...owto.html#http

I've used this to get by hotel routers, and it can be handy. I am not so confident that China is not aware of this capability and could do something about it should they choose. This makes the traffic look very superficially like HTTP, except it is pseudo random data, which HTTP is not.

Also not surprised by the poor service. I've always found Witopia service excellent. But this is what you tend to get from companies that say trite things that people want to hear, rather than something more reasonable that indicates the are actually looking after their network to keep it running.
    11-12-14 01:49 PM
    Stealth just sounds like OpenVPN over an HTTP proxy: [url]

Also not surprised by the poor service. I've always found Witopia service excellent. But this is what you tend to get from companies that say trite things that people want to hear, rather than something more reasonable that indicates the are actually looking after their network to keep it running.
    I'd chalk it up to one bad, inexperienced rep.

I've been talking to TorGuard about getting Stealth Mode working on my BlackBerry and they have been very quick to respond, and are really on it. See below:

What VPN do you use?-img_20141113_072056.png

And frankly, I'm more worried about the U.S, UK, AU, than China...

11-12-14 06:25 PM
    I'd chalk it up to one bad, inexperienced rep.

I've been talking to TorGuard about getting Stealth Mode working on my BlackBerry and they have been very quick to respond, and are really on it. See below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141113_072056.png 
Views:	959 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	313975

And frankly, I'm more worried about the U.S, UK, AU, than China...

I used China because it features on their site. I doubt those other countries are any less able.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-12-14 06:40 PM

From TorGuard support:

Hi Jeff - stealth is only implemented on openvpn level just now, i queried to see if i can add some there for BB but currently its not supported just yet.

Just an fyi....

R3d13 likes this.
    11-13-14 08:23 AM
    Can you use servers other than the one that starts with "bb"? Where is that even located.. do you know?
    11-16-14 12:03 AM
    Witopia. Works well with BlackBerry 10 OS.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    11-16-14 12:24 AM
    Can you use servers other than the one that starts with "bb"? Where is that even located.. do you know?
    Sorry, I don't know but this is the rest of the support email..

"The servers you connect to via the bb hostname should direct you to a server that has the lowest ping, what i could do is add some BB servers in LA if that location is more suited for you."

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
    TorGuard Advanced Support
    E: [email protected] | W: torguard.net

They , TorGuard, has been very helpful and responsive. I get the impression that they will do their best to support BB devices as best they can...just my impression.
    11-16-14 05:42 AM
    Awesome, good to know. Thanks dude.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    11-16-14 11:26 PM
    PureVPN does not work on BBOS10, I have tested it both on Q10 and passport.

Their guide is old, pre BBOS 10.2 and there is no such thing as Certs folder anymore

Their certificate expires 12/11/2014 they havent renewed it.

Please becareful with advising, I took your advice and paid a whole year to PureVPN just to find out their support sucks and it doesnt work anymore, and their guide is outdated. Infact I wrote a whole review http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-978496/

They only have 3 servers too, One that barely works in US, and two non working Canadian and Romanian server. http://billing.purevpn.com/ikev2-man...tname-list.php

I asked them for a refund, Some users on this forum are promoting their services maybe they get paid, even though their service sucks and their support are the worst. Took me 25 emails in total to understand they cant help for crap.
    11-23-14 10:21 AM
    PureVPN does not work on BBOS10, I have tested it both on Q10 and passport.

Their guide is old, pre BBOS 10.2 and there is no such thing as Certs folder anymore

Their certificate expires 12/11/2014 they havent renewed it.

Please becareful with advising, I took your advice and paid a whole year to PureVPN just to find out their support sucks and it doesnt work anymore, and their guide is outdated. Infact I wrote a whole review http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-978496/

They only have 3 servers too, One that barely works in US, and two non working Canadian and Romanian server. http://billing.purevpn.com/ikev2-man...tname-list.php

I asked them for a refund, Some users on this forum are promoting their services maybe they get paid, even though their service sucks and their support are the worst. Took me 25 emails in total to understand they cant help for crap.
    Nasser, take a long look at Witopia. I highly recommend it!

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    11-24-14 01:44 PM
    This is what they say on the app:

Access any site you want, automatically encrypt all your network traffic, and make yourself anonymous.

Our Policy (We don't care):

- We don't care who you are.
    - We don't care what is your email.
    - We don't care from which country you are.
    - We don't care what you browse.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    11-24-14 02:04 PM
    I use PureVPN. Would switch to airVPN is bb10 will ever suppot OpenVPN
    12-01-14 07:45 AM
    ....So what happened to VPNme? Can't connect from my playbook or Z10...
    12-21-14 11:49 PM
    Astrill works great on my bbz30

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 02:05 AM
    Using Homeserver with Ubuntu 14.04 with StrongSWAN.
    12-22-14 07:55 AM
85 1234