OK, so generally speaking it is the unavailability of apps that would make people think an OS is bad?
    Is it then the apps that makes the OS?
    Since IOS has the most apps, is it considered the best OS?

Posted via CB10
    Simply put, yes. I understand some folks will disagree vehemently.

But I do believe the ultimate test of an OS's functionality is the aforementioned compatibility. What can it do for you?

I think the a la carte method (base OS plus whatever the user wants to add by way of apps and accessories) works best. In other words, an OS is only as good its ecosystem.
    07-11-15 04:35 PM
    To me, it's the ability to serve as a robust platform for apps of all kinds. I don't have a list of apps that I want. Most of the interesting apps are ones that do things that I never thought of when I bought a smartphone.

Somebody said that what makes an smartphone so great is that it's the first gadget that actually gets more useful the longer you have it because of the apps. My smartphone became significantly more useful yesterday because I downloaded and subscribed to The Economist magazine. Now I have something interesting to listen to while I'm driving, shopping, waiting in line, etc.
    Good stuff.
    07-11-15 04:36 PM
    Not dropping my WiFi and disabling the profile when its 10 feet away makes an OS great. Work on that, BBRY?
    07-12-15 11:23 AM
    It very entertaining reading all the fortune tellers stories of what is really happening and what's going to happen based on pure rumor.

Until they announce their making an android phone their not. Until they've made an android secure phone they haven't. I draw my conclusions on what is not what might be.

The BB10 OS is an amazing OS FACT! Yes it's in its youthful stages but is growing well. I don't think that BlackBerry is going to ditch BB10 ever unless the future shows them the have to but until then I will stick with what John Chen said and that is that there is no better security than a phone hardware that is controlled by BlackBerry with its own designed software. This will remain it's cornerstone until proven otherwise and large companies that demand the most security will dictate what that will be regardless if you cry and beg to bring you samsung or apple to work.

BB10 may not be the best in some areas but may excel more in others. I think the person that gave the initial dismal review was a closed minded one track apple fan. I would think that a android user would have a little more patience to discover new things in an unfamiliar OS but that's my take. It took me a long time to discover all the neat tricks and how to get around quickly when I first joined the BlackBerry camp. To be honest it was daunting but I pulled through and can't see myself using another platform for now. If BB10 and the Passport can do this to me then I'd say they have a great shot.

The introduction of securing an android phone is a positive step to telling the world, hey you need BlackBerry. The result is awareness of BlackBerry's return and the curiosity of their new phones like the up coming slider. If they are able to work the deal with Google to acquire Google Play Services in return for adding security to their OS that would be huge. Then we would see a huge shift to the left.

Just my thoughts

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 02:53 PM
    It very entertaining reading all the fortune tellers stories of what is really happening and what's going to happen based on pure rumor.

Until they announce their making an android phone their not. Until they've made an android secure phone they haven't. I draw my conclusions on what is not what might be.

The BB10 OS is an amazing OS FACT! Yes it's in its youthful stages but is growing well. I don't think that BlackBerry is going to ditch BB10 ever unless the future shows them the have to but until then I will stick with what John Chen said and that is that there is no better security than a phone hardware that is controlled by BlackBerry with its own designed software. This will remain it's cornerstone until proven otherwise and large companies that demand the most security will dictate what that will be regardless if you cry and beg to bring you samsung or apple to work.

BB10 may not be the best in some areas but may excel more in others. I think the person that gave the initial dismal review was a closed minded one track apple fan. I would think that a android user would have a little more patience to discover new things in an unfamiliar OS but that's my take. It took me a long time to discover all the neat tricks and how to get around quickly when I first joined the BlackBerry camp. To be honest it was daunting but I pulled through and can't see myself using another platform for now. If BB10 and the Passport can do this to me then I'd say they have a great shot.

The introduction of securing an android phone is a positive step to telling the world, hey you need BlackBerry. The result is awareness of BlackBerry's return and the curiosity of their new phones like the up coming slider. If they are able to work the deal with Google to acquire Google Play Services in return for adding security to their OS that would be huge. Then we would see a huge shift to the left.

Just my thoughts

Posted via CB10
    I think all the mobile OSes are special. I think they are each wondrous in their own way, and need each other to force themselves to get better. I enjoy them all, and hope they all thrive.

One thing: Google doesn't need BlackBerry. It's an inconvenient truth, IMHO, but I think it helps put things in perspective. I think the partnership is the right move, and allows BBRY to potentially hitch a ride with a successful OS (as it is doing with iOS), but BlackBerry doesn't have any leverage that I can see. Android will keep trucking on with or without BBRY.

Recognizing and accepting that fact, IMHO, is BBRY's leadership's real strength. They are adjusting to the market.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-12-15 03:57 PM
    I think all the mobile OSes are special. I think they are each wondrous in their own way, and need each other to force themselves to get better. I enjoy them all, and hope they all thrive.

One thing: Google doesn't need BlackBerry. It's an inconvenient truth, IMHO, but I think it helps put things in perspective. I think the partnership is the right move, and allows BBRY to potentially hitch a ride with a successful OS (as it is doing with iOS), but BlackBerry doesn't have any leverage that I can see. Android will keep trucking on with or without BBRY.

Recognizing and accepting that fact, IMHO, is BBRY's leadership's real strength. They are adjusting to the market.
    I agree with everything you said 100% except the part about Google not needing BlackBerry. Google doesn't do anyone any favors and if they didn't need BlackBerry in one way or another they wouldn't be making any partnerships. Not sure why or where you are pulling this from? Even if it is only to make people think they are more secure with BlackBerry since their claim to total security hasn't been disproved that is still a need. If they don't need them please explain why there has been an anouncement of a partnership to add security plz.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 05:55 PM
    1. Availability of and to run those Apps that run smoothly
    2. Least effort to do the things people do like replying emails and messages (although some of this is inside the app)
    3. Upgrade/renovation cycles

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 12:00 AM
    Compatibility.... JMHO.

But there are lots of factors that make a good OS, but if you can't "officially" run the applications that people want to run. Not sure any of the other factors really matter.

Windows didn't gain it's dominance because it was more secure, stable, or "better". It was because it had MS Office... and then other developers came on board and it become the desktop OS of choice. We've looked at OSX and Linux for our office, but there are several industry specific Programs that have always been Windows only. And we just don't want to add the complexity of running Windows virtually.

If BB10 isn't able to run an app like Instagram out of the box, then it isn't a good OS for people that want to run Instagram. Now put just about any other app in place of Instagram, and you end of weeding out a lot of people. Now can you currently run Instagram with a "little" work... yes. But can you gurantee that will work 6 months from now?
    Actually windows gained it's dominance because it invented a business model that android is using now, and that apple refused to use back then, windows allowed any manufacturer to install windows on its hardware, unlike IBM back then with its own OS that quickly dumped it and ran windows, and apple that refused to open up their systems and crashed miserably.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 12:08 AM
    An OS is is great when function, battery life and security is the top priority instead of ads, money gaining and bloatware! This is why I switched to BlackBerry two years ago. IOS and Android (especially) are on a wrong way.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 01:44 AM
    Well Andriod and Apple are not on a wrong way... just because you yourself think so. Look at how many Apple and Andriod devices have sold in the last 7 years.. I think they are the right way. I just like to be diffrent and BlackBerry 10 is the best for my needs. As much as I dislike Apple and Andriod you cannot say they are not the best today. Sales and marketshare says it all.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 01:57 AM
    For me (as a developer) a good OS is a stable OS that can be used as a base for developers to build great apps on. As of the 4 major OSs all have their own identity and advantages (and disatvantages). I think in terms of base OSs, BB10 is the best (and also has the newest codebase), but BB10 tried to enter into an OS war, when the actual war was an ecosystem one.
    07-13-15 04:20 AM
    For me (as a developer) a good OS is a stable OS that can be used as a base for developers to build great apps on. As of the 4 major OSs all have their own identity and advantages (and disatvantages). I think in terms of base OSs, BB10 is the best (and also has the newest codebase), but BB10 tried to enter into an OS war, when the actual war was an ecosystem one.
    Interesting perspective. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 06:55 AM
    OK, this is a small point, but it was a big deal for me. I would like for the OS to provide apps to use the hardware of the phone. My main pet peeve when I got the Z10 was the lack of NFC functionality. You could set up an NFC tag with the intent to toggle Wi-Fi on and off. However, the phone would only open the Settings menu and the user would still have to actually change the settings manually. This may have been updated by now. But, I still don't know of an option for universal NFC payments on a BlackBerry phone (not just store specific apps).

Other than that, it depends on what the user prefers. Some people are content with one option to do things such as taking screenshots and setting up homescreens. Others want more customization so that they can set up and use their phones in a way that is more comfortable for them, rather than force themselves into a standardized way of using a phone. The vast array of customization options found on Android are a plus to me and a cluttered mess to other people. Some people like simple and fewer options while others feel that functionality and productivity would be too limited in this environment. Hopefully, people will continue to have choices of mobile OS in the marketplace.
    07-13-15 08:18 AM
    To me it appears as though most bloggers/tech reporters haven't seen BB10 and their comments and opinions are likely based on legacy software such as OS5 or 6.

To answer the question :

For me, a great OS needs to be intuitive, multi-tasking, secure and easy to use.

I find BB10 head and shoulders above the competition in those regards.

Z10 via CB10
    07-13-15 08:54 AM
    Well Andriod and Apple are not on a wrong way... just because you yourself think so. Look at how many Apple and Andriod devices have sold in the last 7 years.. I think they are the right way. I just like to be diffrent and BlackBerry 10 is the best for my needs. As much as I dislike Apple and Andriod you cannot say they are not the best today. Sales and marketshare says it all.

Posted via CB10
    They ARE on the wrong way! And sales and marketshare doesn't say anything about how good an OS is, they just say how popular they are. And they are popular because people like to play Candy Crush Saga and don't care about privacy and security. Period.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    07-13-15 09:39 AM
    OK, this is a small point, but it was a big deal for me. I would like for the OS to provide apps to use the hardware of the phone. My main pet peeve when I got the Z10 was the lack of NFC functionality. You could set up an NFC tag with the intent to toggle Wi-Fi on and off. However, the phone would only open the Settings menu and the user would still have to actually change the settings manually. This may have been updated by now. But, I still don't know of an option for universal NFC payments on a BlackBerry phone (not just store specific apps).

Other than that, it depends on what the user prefers. Some people are content with one option to do things such as taking screenshots and setting up homescreens. Others want more customization so that they can set up and use their phones in a way that is more comfortable for them, rather than force themselves into a standardized way of using a phone. The vast array of customization options found on Android are a plus to me and a cluttered mess to other people. Some people like simple and fewer options while others feel that functionality and productivity would be too limited in this environment. Hopefully, people will continue to have choices of mobile OS in the marketplace.
    PowerTools can do some of this. I can have my WIFI turn on when I get home using either Cell towers or GPS. It's not allowed to turn it off which I don't understand but yes try PowerTools. The app does so much

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 10:22 AM
    Not quite impressed with Power Tools. It claims too many features to utter confusion not only to the user, but to the BlackBerry 10 device too. Weather display is not accurate and geo fencing gets caught on the wrong foot often. Please read the app reviews.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 10:48 AM
    They ARE on the wrong way! And sales and marketshare doesn't say anything about how good an OS is, they just say how popular they are. And they are popular because people like to play Candy Crush Saga and don't care about privacy and security. Period.
    I thought prose like this died out when Prem had to go recruit one of those supposed Candy Crush-playing, privacy/security non-caring chaps to run BlackBerry.

What marketshare and sales do tell us is what OS is best for the most people. By most metrics other than bragging rights, that is all that really matters for a publicly traded company. I can guarantee folks affiliated with WebOS are not pounding their chests and singing limericks to their own greatness right about now.
    21stNow and tufcustomer like this.
    07-13-15 11:22 AM
43 12