Hello,

I'm new and actually not own any BB device. But after my Nokia E71 (loved it) and the current Huawei Ascend Y300 to get a "new hot smartphone with the incredible Android", I'm done with that form of "smart".

For browsing/consuming some web based stuff over bookmarks and/or links it's ok. Thats all.

Why Huawei? It was the cheapest option for a Cyanogenmod (10.2) device. But missing the pkb is far more pain than expected.

What I want (back):
    -pkb
    -real multitasking (i.e. from the browser over calculator to mail & back)

How smart it must/should be?
    -if possible without Google
    -offline Navigation (Ovi/OSM/…)
    -.doc/.xls/.ods/.odt/.pdf/… support
    -mail with (g)pgp(!)
    -ssh/sFTP/terminal(?)

I've read that gpg is possible by Androids K9+APG, wich is really ok an adroid, but didn't want replace a (good) built-in key-feature.

Important for me are the build-in capabilities because I didn't own a PayPal account and didn't want to "share" my creditcard number over the web. Paysafe cards would be a nice option!

I hope you can give me some hints, if BB10 is the right device for me, or I have to wait and suffer.

In short: I want a modern E71 with a bit of browsing/web capabilities
    01-07-15 09:58 AM
    Buy classic. It has PKB.. best keyboard... if u want other bb10. U can buy Q10... or Q5

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 10:29 AM
    ...and the current Huawei Ascend Y300 to get a "new hot smartphone with the incredible Android", I'm done with that form of "smart".
    You can't experience the true Android on a slowest device available with 512MB RAM only. This phone has hardware specs similar to 2010 phone models. Go to a mobile store somewhere in your area and play a little with newer hardware devices with quad-core CPUs, fast GPUs, 2GB RAM and full HD displays. The difference is mind blowing.
    01-07-15 10:52 AM
    You can't experience the true Android
    Sure, it's a cheap & weak device, but I don't know how a Sony Z3 or similar solve my issues with the onscreen keyboard or the non-existend multitasking. Maybe a Droid 4 or Galaxy Relay 4G could be an option (Cyanogenmod available), but outside the USA it's difficult to get one.

But that's not the question
    01-08-15 04:05 AM
    ...but I don't know how a Sony Z3 or similar solve my issues with the onscreen keyboard or the non-existend multitasking.
    Looks like you need to learn some Android basics. You can replace the keyboard with whatever you like, Smart Keyboard is not much different than virtual BB10 keyboard, for example. Android has excellent memory management and multitasking. Just hold the Home key and you'll see the list of recently used apps. The ones designed to work in background are active, just like in BB10.

If you need physical keyboard go for BlackBerry, they have the best ones available on the market, but you'll need to deal with BB10 OS limitations and weak BlackBerry ecosystem.
    01-08-15 06:13 AM
    Hello,

I'm new and actually not own any BB device. But after my Nokia E71 (loved it) and the current Huawei Ascend Y300 to get a "new hot smartphone with the incredible Android", I'm done with that form of "smart".

For browsing/consuming some web based stuff over bookmarks and/or links it's ok. Thats all.

Why Huawei? It was the cheapest option for a Cyanogenmod (10.2) device. But missing the pkb is far more pain than expected.

What I want (back):
    -pkb
    -real multitasking (i.e. from the browser over calculator to mail & back)

How smart it must/should be?
    -if possible without Google
    -offline Navigation (Ovi/OSM/)
    -.doc/.xls/.ods/.odt/.pdf/ support
    -mail with (g)pgp(!)
    -ssh/sFTP/terminal(?)

I've read that gpg is possible by Androids K9+APG, wich is really ok an adroid, but didn't want replace a (good) built-in key-feature.

Important for me are the build-in capabilities because I didn't own a PayPal account and didn't want to "share" my creditcard number over the web. Paysafe cards would be a nice option!

I hope you can give me some hints, if BB10 is the right device for me, or I have to wait and suffer.

In short: I want a modern E71 with a bit of browsing/web capabilities
    Don't know what do you mean with pkb but:
    - multitasking ok in BlackBerry you can have app working in background, you can even define specific permission to do so
    - without Google meaning without Google services you don't use it with native BlackBerry App, using Android compatibility you can install Android app but without the use of Google services
    - offline Navigation: I did use Navfeee, perfect offline Navigation, free and easy to use
    - MS doc format support using Docs to Go
    - PGP email never used but you can use PGpgp

Btw I come from Nokia E61i, now using BlackBerry Z10, there is not ALL I was used to in old Nokia, but this is the best I did find after evaluating carefully all options (Apple, Android, WP8)

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 07:59 AM
    If you need physical keyboard go for BlackBerry, they have the best ones available on the market, but you'll need to deal with BB10 OS limitations and weak BlackBerry ecosystem.
    I thought that would be obvious after my opening post. I know enough about android to realize, that a better an more expensive device only let me suffer in a more expansive way.

At the moment I think I found the most important apps for me in the Blackberry appstore so that point should be fine.

But now there were a new question:
    Does the Classic really awakens on any key?
    01-08-15 01:36 PM
    I know enough about android to realize, that a better an more expensive device only let me suffer in a more expansive way.
    You're completely wrong about Android multitasking, but it's your choice where to spend your money. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 01:48 PM
    You're completely wrong about Android multitasking,
    Ok, you are right. Android is multitasking, but in a horrible way. Because:
    1) it stores apps in the task manager which doesn't run (checked with terminal) i.e. ghost-commander or osmand
    2) ignores the in-app quit command like firefox or some games
    maybe only crappy apps.

But in the end, I have to terminate every app in the task manager by pushing and holding the home button to held the task menu clean for fast switching the apps.

Maybe it's only me and my way of using android.

For the record: in Symbian you press and hold the home button and can switch betwenn all active apps. To minimize an app, push home, to quit an app, push "escape"

In my opinion, thats how things should go.
    01-08-15 02:57 PM
    But in the end, I have to terminate every app in the task manager by pushing and holding the home button to held the task menu clean for fast switching the apps.
    - all the apps designed to run in background will continue to operate - mail clients, media players, monitoring apps, etc.
    - terminating apps in Task Manager is a common mistake and actually slows down the device. Android with full memory runs faster, no need to reload apps, they are in memory already. If the system needs RAM to run something else, it will hibernate inactive apps automatically.
    - Android JellyBean and up has much better memory management than BB10. 2GB RAM Android device will run more apps faster than 2GB BB10 device, and will switch between apps faster too.

The device you have experience with is a bare minimum to run JellyBean + few apps only, this is what $60 phone is good for. On 512MB device every new app you open will hibernate one before, and it can't run in hibernated state. It's like running Windows8 on a 10y old computer. It will run somehow, but you won't be able to do much with it. Go to a mobile store and try something like Nexus 5 ($350 off-contract on Google Play, best price/specs device available) and you'll be amazed how the phone does things faster than you can decide what to do next.
    01-08-15 06:57 PM
    - Android JellyBean and up has much better memory management than BB10. 2GB RAM Android device will run more apps faster than 2GB BB10 device, and will switch between apps faster too.
    I am sorry but this is just not true. I had LG G2 on kitkat 4.4.2 and it was much slower than my Z30.

Multitasking in android is a struggle. If you use your phone for work (I do) android is a no-go. I was literally going mad with the way I had to do things on LG G2. Frustrating ways of switching between apps and data. BlackBerry is light years ahead in that matter. If you don't need billions of apps (mostly useless) in the app store, then BlackBerry is a go.

And then, you could run most android apps anyways.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 07:35 PM
    I personally don't like much default Android recent apps screen with scrolling up and down. It contains more apps, but going through apps is slower. HTC Sense version is similar to BlackBerry frames - grid of 9 tiles for last used apps.

-screenshot_2013-05-15-11-06-15.jpg

Tap on frame opens the app in a flash, hold and slide up closes the app. It's even better solution than BlackBerry's "x" to close.

Don't forget, that on Android you can have all your communications on full page widgets and just scroll around through email, messengers, phone, news readers, weather, etc. like full screen active frames. Pinch on screen will show you all pages. Many launchers will rotate pages in a loop. Again, many possibilities in the way you like it. BB10 has no such options.
    Last edited by vbdwork; 01-08-15 at 08:21 PM.
    01-08-15 07:51 PM
    How often will you have an update on your phone?

Z 30
    01-08-15 08:21 PM
    - all the apps designed to run in background will continue to operate - mail clients, media players, monitoring apps, etc.
    - terminating apps in Task Manager is a common mistake and actually slows down the device. Android with full memory runs faster, no need to reload apps, they are in memory already. If the system needs RAM to run something else, it will hibernate inactive apps automatically.

The device you have experience with is a bare minimum to run JellyBean + few apps only, this is what $60 phone is good for. On 512MB device every new app you open will hibernate one before, and it can't run in hibernated state. It's like running Windows8 on a 10y old computer. It will run somehow, but you won't be able to do much with it. Go to a mobile store and try something like Nexus 5 ($350 off-contract on Google Play, best price/specs device available) and you'll be amazed how the phone does things faster than you can decide what to do next.
    Sorry, but you do not understand. I do not criticize the lack of "snappiness" but the usability. If that were the case, then you are right: "The solution of the problem is more power."

The advantage of saving time by holding the apps ready, is far less than the time I loose due searching (scrolling) the task menu.
    It's ok if it works for you. But please accept, that it does not do this for me. It would be nice, if you stop to push me in a direction that is not an option.

I said in the opening post (and later), that primarly the physical keyboard is the most important feature for changing the device. If operating system not meet my requirements (look at the maybe silly questions) with regard to usability, I just keep my crappy and slow device. Better cheap than expensiv suffering. I hope that's clear now.
    01-09-15 06:15 AM
    Then get the BlackBerry and problem solved. Just don't explain how bad is Android by design. The way you use it and the device you have are bad.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 06:46 AM
    Ok, I see it's hopeless *sigh*

Maybe someone else can give me constructive feedback.
    01-09-15 07:15 AM
    You already know what you want and don't want to hear the alternatives. Just go ahead and buy a BlackBerry device you like the most. The choice is between few devices anyway.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 02:09 PM