Se the attached picture. What are the benefits of PIN message? Over a BBM message?

What is a PIN message?-img_20140702_200507.png

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:06 AM
    Same it's instant

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-02-14 11:07 AM
    I've owned probably 9 BlackBerry devices over the span of 12 years, and have never been able to get anyone answer me this question.... every now and then I still wonder when a PIN is used rather than BBM....

from an australian Z10...
    07-02-14 11:10 AM
    One of the great mysteries of BlackBerry ...
    07-02-14 11:11 AM
    You don't have to add them to BBM so it's completely anonymous and they don't have any access to personal information. ie. status or name

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:24 AM
    I always thought the difference was that you can only send/receive BBM messages from contacts you have mutually added to/accepted to your BBM contact list. While, you can technically send a PIN message to anyone as long as you know their exact pin.

Nowadays the difference is even greater, as BBM contacts are associated to a BBID (and so move from PIN to PIN), while... the PIN... doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:26 AM
    In the 9 years I been using BlackBerry I have yet to truly know what pin messages are.
    Just recently a couple of contacts started sending me pin messages. You can have multiple conversation subjects on the go wit the same contact. I found that convenient. One of my contacts said that it was more secure than the BBM messages.

Can anyone with the knowledge please give an explanation of pin messages. I searched online and all that really comes up is BBM or how to use pin messaging.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 10:28 AM
    Back in the day before BBM people who owned Blackberry where able to send PIN messages this the same as Pin number that you have in BBM now the idea was that instead of sending a text to some one you can send them a PIN message and you would not get charged for the text message as Blackberry carried the message over its network instead of the carrier (this also why you paid $5 for BIS) back in BB7 your contact had a field called PIN number so you can send them a pin instead of a text. This was all during when Blackberry owned the smartphone market and one of the few reasons it became popular because text messages cost anywhere from $0.25 to $1.00 to send and to receive. In the early 2000's everyone owned a Blackberry and not a iPhone. There was no free texting no imessage viber whatsapp or any of that you either PIN or text them. Carriers did not minded because the it was not weighing there network down (we are 2g speeds here). I hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    damienR and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-19-14 05:38 PM
    Good explanation Kevin.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.2.1.2977 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    10-19-14 05:56 PM
    I have used it a few times and I'm not surprised it hardly gets noticed. In addition to what Kevin already stated, it also offers a great opportunity to stay in touch with people you know that have a bbm PIN, and with the cross-platform of bbm now, could be a lot of people for some.
    The way I've really found it to be the most useful from my experience was being able to reach contacts who had changed their phone numbers but kept their blackberry devices and thus their bbm. So it didn't matter that they had changed their phone numbers at the time, I just simply tried reaching them using PIN message, and it worked. You could also reach them regardless of where in the world they are. Nice right?! Perhaps they are out of the country somewhere and you had no clue, well, use PIN message to get to them.
    And since the PIN number is unique to each blackberry device, and now even non-blackberry devices, should it get lost, misplaced, or stolen, you have one more option to sending a message to the "new" user of the phone who may not have known that it's a stolen phone and might be gracious enough to return it. You will be able to do this even if the SIM card had been changed.
    I guess it's just like bbm, but a little different at the same time. Hope this extra information helps.

Posted via CB10
    Vuneu likes this.
    10-19-14 06:19 PM
    Back in the day before BBM people who owned Blackberry where able to send PIN messages this the same as Pin number that you have in BBM now the idea was that instead of sending a text to some one you can send them a PIN message and you would not get charged for the text message as Blackberry carried the message over its network instead of the carrier (this also why you paid $5 for BIS) back in BB7 your contact had a field called PIN number so you can send them a pin instead of a text. This was all during when Blackberry owned the smartphone market and one of the few reasons it became popular because text messages cost anywhere from $0.25 to $1.00 to send and to receive. In the early 2000's everyone owned a Blackberry and not a iPhone. There was no free texting no imessage viber whatsapp or any of that you either PIN or text them. Carriers did not minded because the it was not weighing there network down (we are 2g speeds here). I hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Do the pin messages in BB10 go through the BlackBerry network and not the carrier? BIS is no longer relevant for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 12:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    so does this mean that if im abroad and I was to send a pin message to some one say in the uk and they sent a pin message back that I/them wouldn't get charged ?...........
    10-20-14 01:23 AM
    I am not sure how it now with sending PIN messages as there is no BIS for consumers if you are on BES then yes you can send them a pin message now I think if your just send them a pin message it would go against your data and you would not get charged any international texting fees but again it would go against your data unless you are in wifi area. When BlackBerry made BBM cross platform it made it easier to pin someone however BBM more or less replaced the pin message. But you can still pin someone if for some reason you don't want them on your BBM contact list. To be honest pin message is really old and with so many choices for messaging I doubt that anyone even use it. Unless you are old school like me LOL.

Posted from my Crackberry 10 App on Blackberry Passport
    10-28-14 09:38 PM
    I'm a bit new to this, so forgive the questions, but is a PIN a unique device identifier? As in, only one device in the whole world can have this PIN regardless of BB ID, BBM, SIM card, etc.

And how is PIN related to BBM? Now that BBM is cross-platform, do the non-BB devices suddenly have a unique device identifier known as a PIN?

If a PIN is a unique device identifier, then it's not truly anonymous, is it?
    10-29-14 04:49 AM