Blackberry finally made the hardware we who have been using BB10 since inception were waiting for but won't offer it with BB10. That is a crime and spells the end of the hardware business and BB10. I really wanted to believe but the last 2 hardware missteps (Leap and Android-only slider) have cause me to lose faith.

Unfortunately, Blackberry no longer understands its value as a smartphone manufacturer. The Leap confirmed this and the slider with only Android pushed it over the edge. While Mr. Chen has done good things with the software and service offerings, he really doesn't understand the smartphone business. Blackberry is a high-end brand, period. If he wanted to offer the Leap as a Android and/or Windows phone, that would have been acceptable but phones like the Passport, slider (Priv is a poor name choice), Z50 (Z30 that is spec compatible with the slider), upgraded Classic and Bold (specific design related models like Prosche) should remain as high-end BB10 specific models. The fact that Mr. Chen and the board can't see this indicates the very sad state of the company.

As a mobile developer, I have Android and iOS devices I use for reference. Having used Android, when I switch from my Q10, Android will be my last choice. I have a higher regard for Windows phones.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and feedback!
    acovey, mickeybuboo, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    02-04-16 09:10 AM
    I have a Classic with about 1.5 years left on a 2 year contract.

If there are no BB PKB phones being produced when contract is up I will likely just keep the Classic until it croaks.
    I do a lot of texting and a fair bit of email, etc. I HATE, LOATHE the on-screen keyboards. I have repeatedly said that just trying to type the wireless password on my wife's iPhone makes me want to hurl it in frustration.

So, for me it will be PKB that's the deciding factor. If that means I have to go BB Android, then so be it.
    Unfortunately, BB10 just doesn't have the market share to really stay alive.
    02-04-16 10:46 AM
    I believe it is pretty clear that Android is the O/S of the future.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Z30
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-04-16 10:55 AM
    BB10 is dying
    MS Mobile is dying
    Apple I loathe with a passion
    Google I lost respect for a long, long time ago.

What to do, what to do.

When my z30 dies, I will move onto my back-up z30. When that dies, I will get one of the not-yet-existing android phones that BB might be producing in that future. "Evil" (google) + "Productive" (BB) is better than just "Evil"
    RyanGermann, sonicpix and acovey like this.
    02-04-16 11:06 AM
    02-04-16 11:47 AM
    I love natural OS from brand device.
    zuraizul and vgorous like this.
    02-04-16 12:05 PM
    Vienna.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    02-04-16 01:35 PM
    iPhone 7

but wait for iHysteria to ease and first discounts to kick in, then use as 2nd phone until BB10 hits the wall.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    02-04-16 01:40 PM
    BB10 is dying
    MS Mobile is dying
    Apple I loathe with a passion
    Google I lost respect for a long, long time ago.

What to do, what to do.

When my z30 dies, I will move onto my back-up z30. When that dies, I will get one of the not-yet-existing android phones that BB might be producing in that future. "Evil" (google) + "Productive" (BB) is better than just "Evil"
    I don't understand this - "BB10 is dying". I mean - it just won't be "turned off" at some point - it just won't be upgraded (except for some rumored security updates). So won't it be useable for several years out? I can still run OS7 on my Bold 9930 - how old is that?
    zuraizul, benwards2 and mk2234 like this.
    02-04-16 01:59 PM
    If the Priv had launched with BB10, I'd already have it without a doubt. However, since it doesn't, I don't plan to move anywhere.

The hard fact is that the Priv wasn't really intended for 'us' BB10 users. It's the phone that they put out there to win back some of the people who had already moved to other platforms.

The fact that the Priv is running Android is not the greatest for everyone. The realistic alternative is not that it would have run BB10, but rather that it would have just never been released. I prefer this way. And my Passport and Classic are still suiting me just fine and I don't need to entertain the question of 'where to go next' because, by the time I do, there will likely be other options to entertain.
    ZayDub and jope28 like this.
    02-04-16 02:10 PM
    I don't understand this - "BB10 is dying". I mean - it just won't be "turned off" at some point - it just won't be upgraded (except for some rumored security updates). So won't it be useable for several years out? I can still run OS7 on my Bold 9930 - how old is that?
    No, it isn't going to turn off, but it will be a static (unchanging) device in a fast-changing world, and as Internet standards continue to evolve, it will quickly get left behind. Just ask any former WebOS user why they aren't still using their WebOS phone - even though it probably boots and runs just fine. The answer: very little still works, because standards and APIs changed, new security implemented, supporting servers taken off-line, etc. and the apps and services needed to make the phone useful stopped working one-by-one. That's already happening with BB10. Have you tried the Facebook app? How about the bugs in the Contacts app that remain unfixed for 2.5 years? And let's not forget that the Android Runtime is based on a 3-year-old version of Android that is being phased out, which means developers will stop supporting it so they can take advantage of newer API levels in their apps.

Computers, and especially mobile, is evolving far too quickly to keep an unsupported device for very long. That's just the facts of the matter - unless you're happy with a device that does nothing but email and SMS, and if so, welcome to 2002!
    02-04-16 06:01 PM
    Computers, and especially mobile, is evolving far too quickly to keep an unsupported device for very long. That's just the facts of the matter - unless you're happy with a device that does nothing but email and SMS, and if so, welcome to 2002!
    I don't know about all of that... Mobile has evolved quite quickly to get to where it is but to expect that to continue is unrealistic.

Just how computers went through a boost in their "evolution" they have become almost completely stagnant for the last 5 years in comparison (think back to the days of the "Pentium 2, 3, 4, etc...)

BB10 devices are plenty capable to keep stay just as functional as they are currently. If you start talking API's and apps that are lacking, well that's sort of where BB10 has been all along. That will actually future proof it more than hurt it. Believe you me, BB10 users are not 'waiting around until their facebook app stops working' before they jump ship.
    mk2234 and ZayDub like this.
    02-04-16 06:51 PM
    Never had an interest in a slider.

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    02-04-16 07:14 PM
    I'll be going back to my Nokia 3310

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    02-04-16 07:26 PM
    I'll be going back to my Nokia 3310

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    While you're at it, use 2 cans and string as a backup to your 3310.

*ME173X
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-04-16 08:08 PM
    Ha ha! I had that Nokia for use in China before I got the 9900 with its International capabilities way back when.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I will continue using my Q10 through the schedule OS update in March then see what happens. If no other BB10 phones come out, I'll evaluate the keyboard phones on the market at mid-year but it is unlikely to be an Android phone.

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 09:11 PM
    While you're at it, use 2 cans and string as a backup to your 3310.

*ME173X
    Is that the new BlackString phone? Still an upgrade over Android.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-04-16 09:26 PM
    Blackberry finally made the hardware we who have been using BB10 since inception were waiting for but won't offer it with BB10. That is a crime and spells the end of the hardware business and BB10. I really wanted to believe but the last 2 hardware missteps (Leap and Android-only slider) have cause me to lose faith.

Unfortunately, Blackberry no longer understands its value as a smartphone manufacturer. The Leap confirmed this and the slider with only Android pushed it over the edge. While Mr. Chen has done good things with the software and service offerings, he really doesn't understand the smartphone business. Blackberry is a high-end brand, period. If he wanted to offer the Leap as a Android and/or Windows phone, that would have been acceptable but phones like the Passport, slider (Priv is a poor name choice), Z50 (Z30 that is spec compatible with the slider), upgraded Classic and Bold (specific design related models like Prosche) should remain as high-end BB10 specific models. The fact that Mr. Chen and the board can't see this indicates the very sad state of the company.

As a mobile developer, I have Android and iOS devices I use for reference. Having used Android, when I switch from my Q10, Android will be my last choice. I have a higher regard for Windows phones.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and feedback!
    Im in the same boat with you

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 11:33 PM
    Nobody is buying bb10 phones. What is Chen supposed to do? Cling to it and run the whole business into the ground?

If you support BlackBerry then don't encourage business practices which are not working and will only hurt the company.

Posted via Leap on Wind
    skinnymike1 and wincyUt like this.
    02-04-16 11:42 PM
    You guys are fighting a losing battle. It must really hurt you each time you see a review of the Priv as 95% of them are positive.

BlackBerry has gone android and the tech community love it. John Chen definitely knows what he's doing. It's only you hurt bb10 diehards that keep convincing yourselves otherwise.

You're wrong. John Chen is right. BlackBerry 10 is good but not great. Android is good too and is that much greater because it has the app support yours and my beloved OS never had.

I had a passport and sold it. Still have a z10 as my back up and my Priv as my main phone. I love both OS's but I agree Android is more fit for purpose and I'm glad BlackBerry went android.

You guys should give up the pointless battle and support BlackBerry. Android is every bit as good as BlackBerry 10 and better in loads of ways.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    wincyUt and pomidor like this.
    02-05-16 12:20 AM
    Recently I'm investigating high end Chinese phones. As they offer spectacular specs, there is no need to buy overpriced "premium" brands assembled maybe in that very exact country. I always let the product perform, and I'm NOT interested in brand perception questions.

I must say that the tactile quality of these phones are just wow, and certainly better than my BBs ever were. The Xiaomis are exceptional (including accessories), the OnePlus 2 is also impressive, the material mix on the ZTE Axons is first rate and their Nubias have jaw dropping gesture controls. Except for the overall flow/fluidity, I can't find a single area where the competing products are not better. And no, I don't use a PKB at all. The sound of a PKB always reminds me of a budgerigar eating seeds...

Of course, more traditional flagships are under the loupe too, for example the LG V10, the upcoming Sammies, etc. IOS is too closed for my needs.

The C-option is to leave the whole smartgizmo world and switching back to the old school world. No phone, no reception, just a sunny forest, and normal, physical, talkative interpersonal relations. I'd love that...

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 01:33 AM
    By "BB10 is dying" I mean that BB will not make any new BB10 phones.

Let's say that my 2+-year-old z30 stops working today, and I start using my back-up z30 instead. If the new z-30 works for about the same time, by the time it dies, the z30 design will be 5 years old. Do I buy a 3rd z-30 then and continue on? The biggest issue, apart from outdated hardware, will be the Android Runtime (4.3) on BB10. It will most likely not be supported by many newer android apps in 2+ years from now.
    Last edited by pomidor; 02-05-16 at 04:02 AM. Reason: :ing
    02-05-16 03:58 AM
    Well, my contract is due an upgrade in June. I have the Passport SE at the moment, but I am becoming less satisfied with its/BB10's performance so will likely seek out an alternative.

Current thoughts:

Priv isn't well built. I don't get on at all well with Android.

Loathe iOS.

W10 mobile looks most likely option, but that is currently VERY buggy and the latest Lumia devices have build quality issues.

I'm hoping that by summer WP10 will be more stable, and there will be a newer, nicer Lumia.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 04:31 AM
    why would I want a slider for if I got a Classic and a PP?
    The PRIV is just a different design and got the wrong OS running it, not interested in a Z30 either, still have a Z10 knocking about as test device for leaks, so what...
    No need to get a "Slider" at all, not this year not next year.
    And a Google OS is a No-Go anyway.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    acovey likes this.
    02-05-16 08:30 AM
    No, it isn't going to turn off, but it will be a static (unchanging) device in a fast-changing world, and as Internet standards continue to evolve, it will quickly get left behind. Just ask any former WebOS user why they aren't still using their WebOS phone - even though it probably boots and runs just fine. The answer: very little still works, because standards and APIs changed, new security implemented, supporting servers taken off-line, etc. and the apps and services needed to make the phone useful stopped working one-by-one. That's already happening with BB10. Have you tried the Facebook app? How about the bugs in the Contacts app that remain unfixed for 2.5 years? And let's not forget that the Android Runtime is based on a 3-year-old version of Android that is being phased out, which means developers will stop supporting it so they can take advantage of newer API levels in their apps.

Not a Facebook user (or games), and I haven't seen any bugs in the Contacts app. I see your point about the fast-changing world, however more is not always better. Phone, email, texts, calendar, some camera shots are 95% of what I use a cell phone for. It might be 2002 - whenever the Bold came out. But BB10 and the Z30 provide some advantages over OS7 on the Bold, but there are also some disadvantages. Having a million apps available reminds me of having 200 channels on a TV - all you tend to do is keep scanning for a better one. And as I said before, I can still crank up my Bold and use it every day - and everything works just fine all the time. So I plan on using BB10 for a long time
    02-05-16 08:31 AM
90 123 ...