So this was originally discussed in this thread....but some of the boys got into bickering and it got locked....
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13332531
    but here it is anyways....man should I be running Microsoft or what? Two for two in 1 day!....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1...nded_security/
    10-03-19 11:06 AM
    The difference is that Windows 7 has many users who are still using it and Microsoft has employees who can continue to work on it. BB10 and BlackBerry have neither.
    10-03-19 01:50 PM
    The difference is that Windows 7 has many users who are still using it and Microsoft has employees who can continue to work on it. BB10 and BlackBerry have neither.
    There's probaby no one at microsoft who has worked on windows 7 in years---in fact it is older than bb10! It was released in 2009. Bb10 was released in 2013. Windows 7 support only goes for security updates....something I'm guessing BB can provide through their team of QNX software/hardware expertise. Grant it - you don't take primary people off of priority projects. ....however a security vulnerability here is a security vulnerability there... (very likely)...though not 100% solutioned the same. I'll grant that desktop systems demand longer lifecycle support.....but bb10 is such a unique player in the smartphone market...it seems to be able to last longer than the alternatives.
    10-03-19 04:41 PM
    They should start to merge BB10 back into QNX that they’re using for cars.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-03-19 05:21 PM
    They should start to merge BB10 back into QNX that they’re using for cars. Add an update the moves it back towards regular QNX so that future updates for car just update the phones too.
    10-03-19 05:23 PM
    I wonder if BlackBerry still has even one single employee dedicated full time to BB10 anymore.... probably not.
    10-03-19 05:25 PM
    Microsoft has several very large companies that are willing to pay for the support. In fact, MS still has companies paying millions to maintain XP.

All MS is doing is monetizing work they are already doing for some very large customers. Plus MS still has many developers working on maintaining Win7.

Situation is very different for BB10. BlackBerry has not done general maintenance on BB10 for years. They would have to hire a lot of developers and train them for BB10. BlackBerry Limited has long ago moved in a new direction.

If people see a way this type of business can be profitable they should license BB10 and go find and hire some of the former BB10 developers who now work for MS, Apple and Google.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    10-03-19 11:38 PM
    Windows 7 support only goes for security updates....something I'm guessing BB can provide through their team of QNX software/hardware expertise.
    No. Kernel≠user space. Something changed in the kernel will most likely break something in the user space, which results in a chain of resource-intensive steps which will cost a not-insignificant amount of money.

bb10 is such a unique player in the smartphone market...it seems to be able to last longer than the alternatives.
    Only because there’s no hardware for which people can upgrade. If Apple suddenly stopped producing iPhones, millions of people would hang on to their phones for six years or more. If all manufacturers suddenly stopped making Android phones, the situation would be exactly the same.
    10-04-19 07:34 AM
    As of last month, Statcounter shows Win 7 still has 29.4% of the global market share among all Windows versions. Win 10 is at 60.7%.

That is still a decent chunk of the market for Win 7. Imagine how much of that is still corporate/government/educational. Deep pockets that would gladly pay what they need to keep what they have.
    10-04-19 08:48 AM
    No. Kernel≠user space. Something changed in the kernel will most likely break something in the user space, which results in a chain of resource-intensive steps which will cost a not-insignificant amount of money.
    Only because there’s no hardware for which people can upgrade. If Apple suddenly stopped producing iPhones, millions of people would hang on to their phones for six years or more. If all manufacturers suddenly stopped making Android phones, the situation would be exactly the same.
    Good Point, even more of a problem for Windows7 architecture (many more security issues because of the entangling ) than for bb10 architecture. Monolithic Windows7 vs. MicrosKernal BB10.
    (Hey I'm glad Windows7 is sticking around as well).
    10-04-19 11:38 AM
    Good Point, even more of a problem for Windows7 architecture (many more security issues because of the entangling ) than for bb10 architecture. Monolithic Windows7 vs. MicrosKernal BB10.
    (Hey I'm glad Windows7 is sticking around as well).
    Challenge for BB10 is I doubt there is a single developer on QNX that is not already fully engaged in revenue bearing activities. Plus I doubt anyone on the QNX team knows anything about BB10.
    10-04-19 12:51 PM