I guess that is the explanation. But I still feel like ios software (only ios 7 and 8) are "smooth". I don't know how to describe it but it's a feeling that is very different from android and bb10. Windows phone os also has this smooth feeling to it

Posted via CB10
    It's the animations. Unlike BlackBerry 10 or Android in which just about everything has almost instant animations, the iOS uses transition and easing, which gives the OS slightly more time to process stuff. The hardware and software is also integrated, and not fragmented, so they can optimize for each device.

In fact they simply need to support the lowest common denominator and the later hardwares will find it smooth too.

Perhaps the hardware in iDevices are optimized for animations like that

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    southlander and Katika99 like this.
    08-19-14 11:51 PM
    I came from iOS and it is indeed more fluid than Android but not that much better than BlackBerry 10 I'd say. Technically it has to do with the events management in the OS. While iOS and BlackBerry use micro kernels known for fast responses it is not the case for Linux (the core of Android) which was designed for servers where zou want your resources distributed in a fair matter. Sure it's fixed to some extend but in my experience you need a free cpu core for touchscreen events available all the time on android while iOS and BlackBerry handle them well even under full load.

Posted via CB10
    A micro kernel is implemented to protect the memory space of the kernel and not for performance. All drivers etc runs in user space and message passing is needed to communicate.

A monolithic kernel shares the address space for scheduler, drivers etc. It's faster but more vulnerable (BDOD in Windows is a good example)

QNX is a true micro kernel making is very, very stable. It doesn't mean that whole OS (BB10) is stable but you can actually have a watchdog thread looking after parts of the non-kernel parts and have them restarted if they crash or malfunctions.

iOS uses a hybrid kernel trying to get the best of the two worlds.

But performance is NOT the reason to have a microkernel.

BB10 was rushed out, while Apple used 7 years (I read somewhere) before releasing their first iOS. They've spent a lot of resources to optimize OS, development tools and hardware and the device performs excellent. The GUI is VERY fluid and it's obvious Apple has paid a lot of attention to the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 01:58 AM
    You claim bb10 is fast. Open an app. Which opens faster? Bb10 or ios 7? IOS 7. Bb10 goes to the home screen and then opens the app. I'm not an apple fan (except for macbooks) but I have to admit that what they do, they do well

Posted via CB10
    So now are you referring to fast as smooth? Why not use the correct word for what you mean?

Let me dig out that iPhone 4S running iOS 7 and see which is faster at loading apps. Before iOS7 went on it the 4S would have won the opening apps test, not any more. How "smooth" is that from Apple?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    08-20-14 02:44 AM
    Also one more thing I'd like improved, is the white. The white of the hub and the bottom bar of both applications and active frames (10.3 and 10.3.1) is not the same white as on windows and ios. This white is a solid, dull and ugly white. I wish they changed it to ios or windows white

Posted via CB10
    IOS uses a light grey with dark grey font (scientifically proven to be the easiest combination of colours on the eye for reading)

the font style itself can make a huge difference.. I hope we get these soon

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    pttptppt and cman5 like this.
    08-20-14 03:25 AM
    farmer nailed it again
    Well i'm just saying my Z30 is the best phone on the planet,

that's the planet i live on all by my self.
    08-20-14 04:04 AM
    what they do is marketing. and they do that well. other than that its all stolen tech ^^
    Either sarcasm or idiocy, apple invented the modern mobile operating system, and they have a proprietary chipset that they designed....thats essentially the EXACT opposite of stealing in case you didn't know the definition of the word.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:33 AM
    What the difference between both about 1-1.5 seconds issue when you wanna swap the apps?

iOS, place home button (1-1.5 seconds including animation and transition ) -> choose the app and run,
    OR place home button for around 1.5 -2 seconds to use multitasking solution.

BBOS10, swipe from bottom , and choose app. Yea yea, 1.5 seconds wasting as you said.

BUT as if you see, both of them "waste" 1-2 seconds, not only BBOS man!
    BUT#2, BlackBerry claimed that they are flows moving experience. I can tell I am so sick about iOS or event Android when I would like to swap the application or let sth running in background.

This is what I feel and think lol

Posted via CB10
    I'm not talking about the multitasking. Im talking about opening a new app. Bb10: goes to home screen then opens the app. Ios: opens the app

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:47 AM
    I am a life time iPhone user who has moved to the z30. What the author of this post is saying is dead on. Anyone denying the relative maturity of iOS and the benefits of this are foolish. Apple has has an army of people working on it and the money for max resources - not to mention the head start. It only makes sense that it'd be smoother and more refined.

We can only hope that over time BBRY will be able to catch up and the disparity will lessen.

I personally feel that the refocusing on software that CHEN has engineered will pay dividends in the next 12 -24 months.

Posted via CB10
    Finally someone who understands. You understand because you've used Iphones. Most of the other people posting here haven't ever touched an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    08-20-14 07:49 AM
    So now are you referring to fast as smooth? Why not use the correct word for what you mean?

Let me dig out that iPhone 4S running iOS 7 and see which is faster at loading apps. Before iOS7 went on it the 4S would have won the opening apps test, not any more. How "smooth" is that from Apple?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    First of all, I wasn't referring to smooth as fast. That post was another example of how apple does it a bit better

Second of all, ios 7 was specifically made to be laggy on iPhone 4s so those users would be forced to update.

So in all honesty, you really have no idea what I'm talking about in this thread as you've never used an ios 7 specific device

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:53 AM
    Either sarcasm or idiocy, apple invented the modern mobile operating system, and they have a proprietary chipset that they designed....thats essentially the EXACT opposite of stealing in case you didn't know the definition of the word.

Posted via CB10
    Tbh, apple stole most of their features from other os's

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:54 AM
    Butter... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:05 AM
    OP, would you please elaborate. I have a new iPad running the latest iOS7 and the web browser sucks, doesn't load as quick as BB10 and scrolls slowly (even a quick swipe doesn't take me as far down the page as on BB10) and the Facebook app is jittery when scrolling. Only after scrolling up/down and have things in memory does it get smooth and when it gets to this point, I do agree that it's super smooth. I also think this smooth appearance is because of the way the scrolling comes to a stop on iOS. When you're scrolling, it doesn't just come to a stop as suddenly as BB10/Android but comes to a stop very slowly, giving it that smooth appearance. I have the new iPad with two apps installed (Facebook and Twitter), no email accounts synced, no iMessage, nothing else running.

The other thing is that I'm quite sure that when you're doing anything in iOS, the system places the UI as a priority. Therefore if anything else is happening, it will pause it to give you that smooth UI. You might notice that with iOS, if you're looking at a GIF using the web browser and scroll, that GIF will pause. If you're watching a movie, you can't zoom in or out. Whereas on BlackBerry 10 that's not the case. BlackBerry 10 continues to run processes in the background, you can scroll through the web browser with things still playing, you can zoom in and out of videos in the video player while the movie continues to play.
    Last edited by sk8er_tor; 08-20-14 at 08:34 AM.
    08-20-14 08:23 AM
    OP, would you please elaborate. I have a new iPad running the latest iOS7 and the web browser sucks, doesn't load as quick as BB10 and scrolls slowly (even a quick swipe doesn't take me as far down the page as on BB10) and the Facebook app is jittery when scrolling. Only after scrolling up/down and have things in memory does it get smooth and when it gets to this point, I do agree that it's super smooth. I also think this smooth appearance is because of the way the scrolling comes to a stop on iOS. When you're scrolling, it doesn't just come to a stop as suddenly as BB10/Android but comes to a stop very slowly, giving it that smooth appearance. I have the new iPad with two apps installed (Facebook and Twitter), no email accounts synced, no iMessage, nothing else running.

The other thing is that I'm quite sure that when you're doing anything in iOS, the system places the UI as a priority. Therefore if anything else is happening, it will pause it to give you that smooth UI. You might notice that with iOS, if you're looking at a GIF using the web browser and scroll, that GIF will pause. If you're watching a movie, you can't zoom in or out. Whereas on BlackBerry 10 that's not the case. BlackBerry 10 continues to run processes in the background, you can scroll through the web browser with things still playing, you can zoom in and out of videos in the video player while the movie continues to play.
    if you read the whole thread or even the op, you would have noticed that i specified the swiping back animation. Its smooth on windows and ios but not on android or bb.
    08-20-14 08:53 AM
    U may be having problems with ur phone OS, as for mine it's as smooth as butter. I see no point of comparing BB OS 10 with IOS. BlackBerry OS 10 In My view is a very smooth, snippy and productive OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:01 AM
    U may be having problems with ur phone OS, as for mine it's as smooth as butter. I see no point of comparing BB OS 10 with IOS. BlackBerry OS 10 In My view is a very smooth, snippy and productive OS.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not talking about the opposite of lag. I'm talking about the animations

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:42 AM
    Smooth is also about repeatability and predictability. Are the apps stable, contacts predictable? Do you need to invest too much time to find out how things work and learning undocumented shortcuts? How quickly can a new user adapt and be happy using OS10?

I think BB have come far, but more is needed.

Z30)++
    08-20-14 10:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    PDAs were the first mobile operating system but they were aimed at business users. apple was the one to market their stuff more heavily, but their phone wasnt the first full touch device either and lacked a lot of stuff, like mms and video recording.
    now you mean the only thing that they invented is their chipset? which is btw using licensed ARM so its not like they made one from scratch. can you please tell me an ACTUAL innovation that apple invented? im not even a blackberry fanboy, i have galaxy s3, s4, xperia z, lumias lying around but they all failed me as a daily driver though and i do feel there are stuff i miss with my blackberry
    cman5 likes this.
    08-20-14 10:24 AM
    It's the animations. Unlike BlackBerry 10 or Android in which just about everything has almost instant animations, the iOS uses transition and easing, which gives the OS slightly more time to process stuff. The hardware and software is also integrated, and not fragmented, so they can optimize for each device.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    THIS. I think you are the only one who understood the OP.

Posted via my Q10
    pttptppt and rodney0905 like this.
    08-20-14 10:25 AM

Posted via my Q10
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:26 AM

Posted via my Q10
    Considering the recent conversation, I suppose I'm the minority in this thread? Lol.

My mother has an iPad Mini, and I regretfully updated it to iOS 7 a few days after it's available (I can't stand the icons). I know what the OP is talking about, the animation is indeed pleasing to the eyes and gives off the air of "take it easy, man", it's the easing during the start and the end of the animations.

Meanwhile, animations in BlackBerry 10 and Android tend to be exact without any easing, giving off the air of precision and seriousness.

But one certainly has to applaud Apple for their ingenuity in looking good (except the iOS 7 icons, yeah those make the sinful pity us)

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    pttptppt and cman5 like this.
    08-20-14 10:34 AM
    I can't speak for iOS, but with WP, the OS was designed to run on older dual core CPUs and 512mb of RAM. Naturally, when your OS requirements are super low, the OS should operate VERY well on any device. In fact, I would kill a kitten to have WP8.1.1 on my Playbook.

~Ex
    Last edited by Existence_Inc; 08-20-14 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Clarity
    08-20-14 10:36 AM
    I can't speak for iOS, but with WP, the OS was designed to run on older dual core CPUs and 512mb of RAM. Naturally, when your OS requirements are super low, the OS should operate VERY well on any device. In fact, I would kill a kitten to have WP8.1.1 on my Playbook.

~Ex
    You obviously didn't read the thread. I'm not talking about smooth as in lag. I'm talking about animations

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:43 AM
    Then why can't BlackBerry just implement similar transitions. It'd make the os look much superior to the way it is atm

Posted via CB10
    The next version of Android should seem as smooth as ios. The new materal disign focuses on transactions. It will all be 60 fps and it's looking amazing. When scrolling a web page might an iphone be smoother? Maybe yes. First someone here said linux is a software base that splits up the work. That is correct. When designed it loads everything and doesn't stop till done meaning your scrolling performance takes a dump. With the fast and faster cpus it's not as bad as the old days. Scroll down a webpage on an iphone. If you do it side by side on android you'll notice the fastest it scrolls is about 1/2 the speed or less than android does. You can scroll crazy fast on android and not that you can read it but in comparison the iphone scrolling slower means less to load and display. I think apple did this smarter. If you want to scroll to the end of something very long it can be a pain in the *** but it makes there phone smoother. Android is getting better all the time and so are all the companies OS. Question is where should BB put their limited time and money? If normal people aren't going to buy them then they need to go to the core businessmen who only cares about pounding out emails.
    08-20-14 11:15 AM
    V

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:16 AM
    what the **** did i just read? have you ever used a windows phone? i have a lumia 1020 lying around in the house and theres a huge lag when you swipe down or to the right on the main tiles screen
    I got my sister a nokia 521 for tmobile and it's dirt cheap. Less than $100 off contract. No lag! NONE. It doesn't have the apps I want but ya, Smooth as all hell.
    08-20-14 11:20 AM
147 12345 ...