OP, what BB10 device are you using?
    Z10 and Z30

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:25 AM
    hi, if you don't know me, i'm far from a troll or someone who doesn't know how to get the gist of a thread.. i read the first few pages where you thoroughly clarified what you're talking about and skimmed the last few posts before mine that were filled with mostly technical drivel...

I've also been around computers and mobile OS's for all my life so I know lag from intentional animations/transitions...

...or is no one allowed to disagree with you without being wrong?
    Wow. Ok you are allowed to disagree with me. But you really don't even have to visit this thread. My first post and this whole thread was based on my opinion; being that ios windows phone animations are smoother than other phones. I didn't ask what do you guys think, I asked why are they smooth. You stating that they aren't smooth is not at all the answer that was wanted here so unless you want to boost your post count, then I don't see why you had to come here and give me oranges when I asked for apples

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:28 AM
    Also could just be the way they have created the transition animations that are giving this perception. Sorry not really all that familiar with iOS or windows phone
    This^

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:59 AM
    I'm not referring to "smooth" as the opposite of lag. You don't understand. I mean when for example in ios 7 you slide left to right to go back, it's much "smoother" than bb10. Sure neither lags but it's the transition that is smooth

Posted via CB10
    If you are talking about the message app in iOS, than I'm sorry but that gesture is horrible compared to BB10. Another thing that kills me with iOS is the bouncing that the message app does when scrolling up and down through a conversation. This is something I would consider smooth, but it is also really annoying and distracting and only serves as eye candy.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    08-21-14 09:26 AM
    If you are talking about the message app in iOS, than I'm sorry but that gesture is horrible compared to BB10. Another thing that kills me with iOS is the bouncing that the message app does when scrolling up and down through a conversation. This is something I would consider smooth, but it is also really annoying and distracting and only serves as eye candy.

I'm not talking about the messaging app. I'm talking about for example the settings app. Swipe left to right to go back. But unlike in bb10, it's much smoother or fluid

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:29 AM
    After six pages, here is a summary of the various respones:
    1. Hardware and software optimization
    2. You don't know what you're talking about.
    3. I don't know what you're talking about.
    4. I have done my own independent testing and here are my results...
    5. I like my Blackberry better.
    6. I don't like this topic.
    08-21-14 09:43 AM
    After six pages, here is a summary of the various respones:
    1. Hardware and software optimization
    2. You don't know what you're talking about.
    3. I don't know what you're talking about.
    4. I have done my own independent testing and here are my results...
    5. I like my Blackberry better.
    6. I don't like this topic.
    You were not forced to read this thread or even respond to this thread. If you don't like the topic or my question or my opinion, then you should get out of this thread. There's no reason for you to come somewhere and start picking fights with people

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:46 AM
    I think the early versions of BB10 the main causes of janking in many apps was because they were developed in Adobe Air without 3D Hardware Acceleration (Stage3D). I'm a big fan and a professional developer well versed in Adobe Air so I know how hard it's to make smooth apps with it. But that was long time ago. Adobe Air will be totally removed from the OS in 10.3.1 - many despise this decision - so for sure everything will be Native apps which usually perform much better. Cascades is based on Qt 4 which is great but there's already a Qt 5 version which is even better but so far there's no official word on migrating Cascades to Qt 5. If you are interested, try looking for some Qt 5 related videos and you'll see how promising it is.
    Cheers!
    08-21-14 09:59 AM
    I think the early versions of BB10 the main causes of janking in many apps was because they were developed in Adobe Air without 3D Hardware Acceleration (Stage3D). I'm a big fan and a professional developer well versed in Adobe Air so I know how hard it's to make smooth apps with it. But that was long time ago. Adobe Air will be totally removed from the OS in 10.3.1 - many despise this decision - so for sure everything will be Native apps which usually perform much better. Cascades is based on Qt 4 which is great but there's already a Qt 5 version which is even better but so far there's no official word on migrating Cascades to Qt 5. If you are interested, try looking for some Qt 5 related videos and you'll see how promising it is.
    Cheers!
    3D hardware acceleration? Don't tell me they built a menu around textures?

I don't even...

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-21-14 10:19 AM
    It could be for the reasons for why BlackBerry 10 was built. Knowing BlackBerry has been more for the business user, they thought that all the animations that iOS has wouldn't be necessary for BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    As if all businesspeople can't appreciate design. Saying that animations aren't needed because 'businesses don't need it' is a terrible argument that people here in general use far too often. BB10 has animations - it's just that they're not well done.
    pttptppt likes this.
    08-21-14 10:46 AM
    so basically the OP is asking "hey guize, why doesn't my BB has the smooth animations of the iPhone when swapping screens left and right or backing from apps or w/e?" -well just cuz that's how BB OS is currently built man...deal with it -I call that a dumb question bro -the answer is obvious.

As you mention it's not about how fast the OS is running or optimized or w/e...it's about animations and execution of commands. The slow animation doesn't mean smoothness/fluidness to some -for me personally that's waste of time -I hate how iPhone looks (the menu layout) and how it feels in general. However, for others (as you) this animation feels so smooth you even want it on your BB or w/e...it's just how it's built -you expect someone on the forum to tell you "hey bro it's Chen here I'll fix that tomorrow" or what ?

Hopefully 10.3 will bring options to choose from so people like you can go for the slow-mo smoothass animation and be happy with it and people like me could stay on the fast and snappy mode which currently makes me perfectly happy <3

Piece/
    08-21-14 11:47 AM
    I'm not talking about the messaging app. I'm talking about for example the settings app. Swipe left to right to go back. But unlike in bb10, it's much smoother or fluid

Posted via CB10
    I'm playing around with the settings apps on iOS 7, BB10.2.1, and BB10.3. The only difference I notice is that the iOS version moves a little slower, which makes it look slightly smoother. I now see what you are talking about (I think), but it is so negligible that I don't think it makes a difference either way. It's slightly faster one way, slightly smoother the other way. I guess at such a small difference in speed, the smoother option is better, but not worth even talking about, imo. However, going "back" in the settings app is way way smoother and cooler on BB10. The whole cascading pages idea and sliding to go back gesture is unmatched on any other platform.

I'm a big fan of how BB10 handles the look and feel of the gestures. What I'm talking about is, for example, when you go back by sliding a page from left to right, it isn't an all or nothing type gesture. The page slides with your finger until you let go. You can even go back and forth with the gesture without the page snapping one way or the other until you release your finger. The PlayBook's minimizing gesture was not like this at all. As you got to a certain point in your up swipe, the app would fully minimize. It had the feeling of pressing the home button on iOS, not the feeling a gesture should give. Anyways, the reason I mention this is because iOS, which stole the back gesture from BB10, does a horribly unsmooth job of handling the back gesture. First of all, it is not even close to as responsive and reliable as BB10 (you have to sometimes try a couple times for it to work). It is also very jerky. I also notice that the Notification Center and the Control Center are awkwardly unresponsive when trying to access them from inside an app.

08-21-14 12:25 PM
    *cracks knuckles* Alright, here we go.

(source is Wikipedia)
    BB10 Initial Release: January 30, 2013
    Windows Phone Initial Release: November 8, 2010
    Android Initial Release: September 23, 2008
    iOS Initial Release: June 29, 2007

So, to answer your questions:
    - Every other OS has the benefit of being more mature with more support. This means things like optimization have been done many times over and over.
    - Every other OS are all incompatible with one another (except with HTML5 and Adobe AIR) meaning they basically have to write the app from scratch for another OS, meaning it's also made for that OS.
    - Apple provides tools to provide lower level permissions to the device through things that they alone control, meaning it's very easy to optimize the app.
    - They all have relatively similar dimensions - 16:9 or something like that, blackberry has more than one AND has a hardware keyboard built in.
    - Android has a lot of people contributing to the code, meaning it's well supported by hardware manufacturers, period.
    - Windows Phone OS is not only locked down like iOS, but has a very simple design interface with simple graphics to process, saving processing and RAM needs. Think about it, you make a black background, stick some text in there, and have it move around. You have multiple benefits there. If you want a nice background, you just slap the text on top of an image and you're good.
    - Blackberry's primary focus was security and having a fluid workflow. Using the operating system I don't waste much time trying to get around it. It also has the android runtime to make apps more portable. Here's the problem, we still have the older hardware, and with each generation it gets better for the GPU and CPU power/efficiency. Heck, my Z10 is running off what must be iPhone 4 or 4S equivalent hardware which came out in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

To sum up:
    1: New OS; not as optimized
    2: Bad ports; poor developer choices
    3: You're on 10.3 which is snappier, but not as fluid or smooth as people like to call it.
    4: Limited RAM. It's a great amount when you're only running one OS, but when you're practically running two, it kicks it up a bit. This lead me to...
    5: Security and Messaging Orientated. Any security orientated software or any sort of software that needs to run in the background (like checking emails and such) needs that RAM regardless.
    08-21-14 01:49 PM
    Wow. Ok you are allowed to disagree with me. But you really don't even have to visit this thread. My first post and this whole thread was based on my opinion; being that ios windows phone animations are smoother than other phones. I didn't ask what do you guys think, I asked why are they smooth. You stating that they aren't smooth is not at all the answer that was wanted here so unless you want to boost your post count, then I don't see why you had to come here and give me oranges when I asked for apples

Posted via CB10
    you're right, I didn't have to come in here the same as you didn't have to make this thread.. we both did so on our own accord and are free to do so... but you do have to be prepared for whatever responses come from the public in a thread you opened to the public, you have enough posts to know that.. if u don't like mine, ignore it...

this is a forum where opinions are stated frequently, not just yours.. I stated my original differing opinion in a respectful way; I didn't say you were wrong or call you ignorant as you basically did to me in your responses.. but for some reason you thought that meant that I didn't read or didn't know what you were talking about.. maybe u were already defensive from having to explain to the many people who actually didn't read or didn't get what you were saying, which is valid..

bottom line, and probly why some people are "not getting it"; is that you are basing this whole thing off the assumption that this smoothness is a fact, not a subjective opinion that even you yourself stated that it is (bolded in your quote).. and you want us to assume the same before answering the question, which everyone isn't willing to do.. that's your right to want that, but good luck keeping it that way...

so i'm sorry for not giving you the answer that you wanted and I will exit immediately for this trespass and distraction... honestly, i'm not looking to derail your thread any more than I/we already have.

but I have to add that the jabs at raising my post count are laughably irrelevant coming from the person that has 6x the post count in half the time.. not saying you're doing that intentionally, cuz I've seen your posts and they've usually been useful/constructive.. even interacted with you before and never had a problem so i don't get the animosity...

peace.
    08-21-14 04:43 PM
    "Aaaaaaaand CUT!"

08-21-14 05:22 PM
    BB 10 devices have 1 GB more RAM than Iphones and ipads

Posted via CB10
    Reread my point.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 05:24 PM
    I understand what you mean OP. I would describe it as BlackBerry 10 being abrupt when it does something vs iOS easing into everything it does.
    BlackBerry 10 instantly snaps whereas iOS "slowly" starts the transition. I don't really prefer either (coming from iOS), but I notice the difference when swiping back, and in the browser when dealing with the open tabs. It's not lag, it's the transitions. BlackBerry 10 could have smoother, or cleaner, transitions, but it would slow it down slightly. I'm uncertain which I prefer.

Posted via CB10
    Man@Arms and Katika99 like this.
    08-22-14 12:53 PM
    10.3.0.1052 is a HUGE step forward in smoothness and snappiness for BB10.

Its much closer to the level of which im used to in my iOS products.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 07:07 PM
    blackberry is perfectly smooth and fast, ios has just long and boring animations to compensate for ****ty load times, sorry isheeps, coming from someone who used ios in the past.
    08-22-14 07:23 PM
    I do like how they built the ios though. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying. I'm not talking about the look of it. I'm talking about the inside of it. The size is small and can run smoothly on a phone with medium spec hardware. But it doesn't run smoothly forever like BlackBerry 10.2 and up.

Hehehe
    08-23-14 05:03 PM
    I understand what you mean OP. I would describe it as BlackBerry 10 being abrupt when it does something vs iOS easing into everything it does.
    BlackBerry 10 instantly snaps whereas iOS "slowly" starts the transition. I don't really prefer either (coming from iOS), but I notice the difference when swiping back, and in the browser when dealing with the open tabs. It's not lag, it's the transitions. BlackBerry 10 could have smoother, or cleaner, transitions, but it would slow it down slightly. I'm uncertain which I prefer.

Posted via CB10
    Again THIS.

Personally I prefer the smooth transition of ios, even of it could slowing down the device.

Posted via my Q10
    08-25-14 02:54 AM
    I am using a Z10 now, after my iPhone 5 swim to a lake.

Yes, iOS UI is very smooth and fluid, really smooth. Even BB10 can't compare. You can compare it by viewing a large JPEG or PDF, try to pinch to zoom and pan to any direction. You can see the difference. Even my old iPhone 3GS with 256 MB RAM still FAR BETTER graphics fluidity and smoothness compared to my Z10. Your touch is like glued to the graphics.

Seems if there's a lag process in iOS, that's because of low RAM available. I still enjoying browse the web using my old 600 MHz 256MB iPhone 3GS than my 2GB Z10, except a website that has a lot of stuffs that hogs RAM then my 3GS gives up. Bold apps like Path, will get my 3GS lag, since it needs more RAM and CPU power.

If there's plenty of RAM available on iOS, sure it is really really smooth. Even a games played on 512 MB iPhone 4S is better and smoother than on 2 GB Nexus 5.

I think iOS implementation on graphics is mature. It's core graphics system iterated from NeXT, a long journey before Mac OS X born. And you can compare OS X graphics fluidity with Windows'.

BB10 under the core of QNX kernel is superior than iOS under Mach kernel. But on the top of it, BB10 touch response need much optimization to match what iOS does.
    02-17-15 04:03 PM
147 ... 456