Hmmm, I think all of my BlackBerry 10 devices are exceedingly smooth. Although I hardly run any Android apps.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    08-20-14 11:23 AM
    Hmmm, I think all of my BlackBerry 10 devices are exceedingly smooth. Although I hardly run any Android apps.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    For the billionth time, I'm not referring to smooth as the opposite of lag, but I'm referring to smooth as the transitions between screens. Read the thread and you'd have known

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:26 AM
    I just played with the iPad air to try to figure out what you mean. I think it's just there transition animations are designed to take fractionally longer then BB10 giving it the feel you like. Personally I am the type of person that wants to get stuff done as fast as possible so waiting for these animations every interaction I have with the device would really turn me off. The BB10 transitions can appear jerky in comparison especially if the frame rate isn't 100% consistent and depending on the pixel refresh speed of the display as the actual boxes and wipe animations occur at a faster pace.
    08-20-14 11:44 AM
    A purely hypothetical scenario:

• Company "A" knows its future largely depends on its mobile operating system and its mobile hardware and has practically unlimited resources to invest in R&D.
    • Company "B", on the other hand, is kind of iffy about whether mobile hardware is the way forward, is severely resource constrained and is actively looking to emphasize enterprise software.

Which company is going to devote more resources towards polishing their mobile user experience? Unless there is some magic involved, is there any doubt about which will end up being better?
    08-20-14 11:50 AM
    A purely hypothetical scenario:

• Company "A" knows its future largely depends on its mobile operating system and its mobile hardware.
    • Company "B", on the other hand, is kind of iffy about whether mobile hardware is the way forward, in fact, is actively looking to emphasize enterprise software.

Which company is going to work harder at polishing their mobile user experience? Is there any doubt about which will be better?
    Thank god BlackBerry isn't following your logic or they wouldn't have any users. Business people don't work with sh*t, they work with quality. Right now ios look like quality and BlackBerry look like ****. There's no way anyone will want an ugly ui that has a bit more security. Only the die hard BlackBerry fans like me

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:55 AM
    Either sarcasm or idiocy, apple invented the modern mobile operating system, and they have a proprietary chipset that they designed....thats essentially the EXACT opposite of stealing in case you didn't know the definition of the word.

Posted via CB10
    Apple haven't invented anything, buddy.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 12:00 PM
    only took them 6 interations of hardware and software to get smooth.... :S
    And what number is blackberry on 10.3.334726354888?

Your argument is invalid
    08-20-14 12:10 PM
    Apple haven't invented anything, buddy.

Posted via CB10
    U high bud? Lol..

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-20-14 12:11 PM
    Animations are nice, but it can slow things down. I think iOS7 uses less animation frames on older hardware than new because the hardware rendered those animations too slow (and last I heard, it was still too slow for users used to iOS 6 animations on the older hardware). It's personal preference. Does anyone know what kind of FPS the UI in BB10 is? To me, it seems very smooth (not jerky) when you do things slowly (like move between pages of apps). So it might be that quick animations are purposely using less frames just for speed, which may look jerky at times compared to the iOS equivalent.
    08-20-14 12:33 PM
    Animations are nice, but it can slow things down. I think iOS7 uses less animation frames on older hardware than new because the hardware rendered those animations too slow (and last I heard, it was still too slow for users used to iOS 6 animations on the older hardware). It's personal preference. Does anyone know what kind of FPS the UI in BB10 is? To me, it seems very smooth (not jerky) when you do things slowly (like move between pages of apps). So it might be that quick animations are purposely using less frames just for speed, which may look jerky at times compared to the iOS equivalent.
    The reason it's jerky on old ios devices is because they did that in purpose so they'd be forced to upgrade

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 12:35 PM
    Apple's os is over 5 years in existence. Once BlackBerry 10 hits 5 years it will be more refined and an as-smooth-as-them experience.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    08-20-14 12:48 PM
    The reason it's jerky on old ios devices is because they did that in purpose so they'd be forced to upgrade

Posted via CB10
    While I do think iOS devices tend to **** the bed suspiciously around 2 years of age, I don't think the animations not being as smooth is done purposefully to encourage an upgrade. If you want the full iOS7 experience, sure, you need newer hardware, but that's due to progress not some ulterior motive.

iOS 7 has less animation frames on iPhone 4 because the hardware is slower and the animation sequence was too slow (especially compared to iOS 6). They further reduced it for the older devices on iOS 7.1 to make it only slightly slower than iOS 6, but the animation smoothness on older devices will never be as smooth and quick as the newer devices. So they had to compromise their design (having richer animations) on account for slower hardware not rendering if as quickly. Some new animations are missing entirely on older devices.
    08-20-14 01:00 PM
    While I do think iOS devices tend to **** the bed suspiciously around 2 years of age, I don't think the animations not being as smooth is done purposefully to encourage an upgrade. If you want the full iOS7 experience, sure, you need newer hardware, but that's due to progress not some ulterior motive.

iOS 7 has less animation frames on iPhone 4 because the hardware is slower and the animation sequence was too slow (especially compared to iOS 6). They further reduced it for the older devices on iOS 7.1 to make it only slightly slower than iOS 6, but the animation smoothness on older devices will never be as smooth and quick as the newer devices. So they had to compromise their design (having richer animations) on account for slower hardware not rendering if as quickly. Some new animations are missing entirely on older devices.
    I'm almost positive that the reason it's laggy is because it was intentional but you might be right

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 01:09 PM
    Blackberry 10 is pretty smooth but there are still a few issues when comparing like loading text or bbm messages. That's very smooth on ios while it can be jerky on bb10 when first loading but that could be partly because of the transitions.

I had an iphone3g and that last update they sent out almost made the device unusable. I had to jailbreak and install a memory manager app so I could free memory without rebooting.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 08-20-14 at 01:34 PM.
    08-20-14 01:18 PM
    I'm almost positive that the reason it's laggy is because it was intentional but you might be right

Posted via CB10
    I doubt it was intentional. I also did not find it surprising. I expect later generations of Operating Systems to run sluggish on older hardware. That's pretty much been my experience since I first started buying and upgrading computers MANY years ago. It's a constant cycle of shiny new OS requiring hardware updates (or replacement) to get the new OS to run well. I just think iOS 7 is what it is on a 4S. My wife declined to upgrade her 4S to 7 for that very reason. Her friends did it, and we're disappointed in the performance. (She has since dumped iPhone for an LG G3)

As to the topic, I find my Z30 to be a little more jerky then the very smooth iPhone 5, but not painfully so. On balance, I think the Z30 shows very well, and there are more important things to me than buttery smooth (intentionally "slow") transitions. Apple did a good job on creating the appearance of a slick running device. People don't seem to care that Apple may have let a transition run a split second longer to obtain that effect. It buys time for processing the next action, and allows for tweaking the leading and trailing movement of the transition. A little polish on the UI never hurts, so I'm not opposed to it, but also not personally concerned about it. I have used all kinds of devices, and prefer BB10 for productivity in my line of work. But of course that is not what we are talking about here. :-)
    cman5 likes this.
    08-20-14 01:31 PM
    PDAs were the first mobile operating system but they were aimed at business users. apple was the one to market their stuff more heavily, but their phone wasnt the first full touch device either and lacked a lot of stuff, like mms and video recording.
    now you mean the only thing that they invented is their chipset? which is btw using licensed ARM so its not like they made one from scratch. can you please tell me an ACTUAL innovation that apple invented? im not even a blackberry fanboy, i have galaxy s3, s4, xperia z, lumias lying around but they all failed me as a daily driver though and i do feel there are stuff i miss with my blackberry
    Just for fun i'll let you know that Apple did invent ARM. They started with another person / company and ended up selling it off.

1990 - ARM is founded as a spin-off from Acorn and Apple, after the two companies started collaborating on the ARM processor as part of the development of Apple's new Newton computer system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-to-Apple.html
    08-20-14 01:52 PM
    Just for fun i'll let you know that Apple did invent ARM. They started with another person / company and ended up selling it off.

1990 - ARM is founded as a spin-off from Acorn and Apple, after the two companies started collaborating on the ARM processor as part of the development of Apple's new Newton computer system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-to-Apple.html
    did you just post an url proving they didnt invent ****? it was acorn and acorn had nothing to do with apple when they introduced the very first ARM cpus. blackberry didnt invent qnx either just because they bought them.
    08-20-14 02:20 PM
    did you just post an url proving they didnt invent ****? it was acorn and acorn had nothing to do with apple when they introduced the very first ARM cpus. blackberry didnt invent qnx either just because they bought them.
    They where there at the beginning. You had no clue about this. We are talking about the 90s. Over 24 years ago. Yah, pretty close to the beginning. They might have been out of business if it wasn't for apple and we all be on dumb phones because Intel wouldn't have had anyone pushing to lower the power to run their processors. You should thank Apple. I'm no Apple fan but at least I give credit where credit is due.

I own no Apple products. Not one.
    08-20-14 03:01 PM
    They where there at the beginning. You had no clue about this. We are talking about the 90s. Over 24 years ago. Yah, pretty close to the beginning. They might have been out of business if it wasn't for apple and we all be on dumb phones because Intel wouldn't have had anyone pushing to lower the power to run their processors. You should thank Apple. I'm no Apple fan but at least I give credit where credit is due.

I own no Apple products. Not one.
    I'm like you, not an apple fan and I give credit where it's due but I'm getting the new mac book pro when it comes out! So excited!!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 03:28 PM
    My Z30 with 10.2.2.1531 is smoother than ever...
    08-20-14 03:30 PM
    My Z30 with 10.2.2.1531 is smoother than ever...
    You obviously haven't read the thread at all... I'm not talking about the opposite of lag, I'm talking about the transitions

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 03:32 PM
    You obviously haven't read the thread at all... I'm not talking about the opposite of lag, I'm talking about the transitions

Posted via CB10
    Transitions were redone in 10.2.2 so if you haven't checked it out yet you may want to
    08-20-14 03:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I know you keep trying to tell people this (and I agree with you)
    However, sometimes threads take on a life of their own and you can't make them what you wanted them to be. It's not going to happen.

Posted via CB10 with my Z10 (Via limited WiFi connection)
    08-20-14 03:42 PM
    I understand that BlackBerry is new and ios is old. And tbh ios 6 and older were never really fluid, but aside from ios 7's (and soon ios 8) bright colors, they really nailed the fluidity. Everything there is smooth and buttery and feels amazing, whereas bb10 and most of the other os's (except for windows phone os) feel dated and not smooth. Don't take this the wrong way, bb10 doesn't lag but that's different from being smooth. You need to use ios 7 to know what I am talking about. And I know it's not the flat theme because 10.3 has the flat theme and it still isn't really "smooth"

What makes ios and windows phone os smooth?

Posted via CB10
    Tbh, I don't really know what you're talking about. I have never used wp so can't comment on that. I have, however, used the other 3 extensively. I've used ios since 2.0 and it has ALWAYS been fluid regardless of hardware. Other than the "flat" aspect of ios7, it feels the same as 2-6 to me. Android has been fluid since 4.1, assuming we're talking vanilla. Samsung's touchwiz doesn't feel great to me to this day although I haven't tried the S5 or note 3. Before 4.1, it was a jerky mess. Bb10 has felt fluid to me from day 1. I had the z10 at launch and now use a z30.

Posted via CB10
    cman5 likes this.
    08-20-14 03:46 PM
    Transitions were redone in 10.2.2 so if you haven't checked it out yet you may want to
    I have 10.3.0.700 and 10.3.0.1052 and neither has the smoothness I was asking for

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 03:47 PM
147 ... 23456