Alright I know I'm most likely all alone here... but what I seen from 10.3 doesn't look all that aesthetically pleasing. I tend to like the shadows or I've grown used to them anyway. I haven't tried 10.3 but it seems some of the icons have gone pong in the colouring and I don't see the point in that.

On the other hand I look forward to the black hub and the updated Java runtime.

Guess my questions goes is there anyway to stick to the old theme while upgrading to 10.3?

Have you felt the same way before or even after upgrading?
    Or did you grow fond of the changed colouring / styling scheme immediately once you updated to the 10.3 branch?
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    08-27-14 05:19 PM
    10.3 doesn't look like iOS 7 if that's what your asking. Honestly it's not any boring bright pastel look, it's actually a very clean and we'll designed look so far.

You won't be disappointed at all. The look is definitely one of the best parts of this update, and I used to think it was kind of ugly when I was looking at the screenshots some people posted.

I've had it for a couple of days, and it makes 10.2.1 on my other BlackBerry very disappointing to look at haha

Posted via CB10
    Vuneu and Jakob Greve like this.
    08-27-14 05:36 PM
    Yeah I know what you mean OP. Pretty happy with what I have. But would like to play a bit...would any of the 10.3 bars work on 10.2.1 or 2? like the virtual assistant, or the hub? Anyone know? Or are they too integrated in 10.3?

Z10 on 10.2.1......umm I forget
    08-27-14 08:52 PM
    Well the look of the old branches is what I grew up with when it comes to BlackBerry and it's one reason why I chose the Z10. With the screen of the Z10 being so close to the digitizer I believe it made sense to put "shadows" around the boxes to give an optical spatial feeling of dept. So it's some development history gone with the new Branches. And yes I would like the option of OS 10 classic even if it is just a phone
    08-28-14 05:35 AM
    Well I definetly don't like 10.3 so far. Gone are the classic gradual annimation when you open your start-.screen. Gone are the icons I know and love. Now it looks like android. It is swift though and does have some resemblence to the old os. I've immidiately changed my start-screen to the purple one just to feel more familiar.
    08-29-14 08:26 PM
    OP, you are certainly not alone. Some of us don't like the flat, boring, lazy and un-intuitive design that BlackBerry decided to kang from Google.

I hope someday BlackBerry will offer us a fully featured theme engine which we can use to change every element of the UI to our tastes and that someone will use that engine to create a classic BB10 theme that will not only bring back the 10.2.1 design elements, but maybe even improve upon them.

This is little more than hope though, as BlackBerry has not once acknowledged users that have pried and asked if themes would be possible in a future update.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve and rthonpm like this.
    08-29-14 10:20 PM
    Flat UI will be one of the style elements that dates things from this time. Think of it in the same light as all those green and brown appliances everyone had back in the 70's, or the hairstyles of the 80's. It's a passing trend that has little to offer in aesthetics. I'm already waiting for it to be gone.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    08-30-14 06:43 AM
    Well took the 10.3.0 out for a test spin and I can honestly say I don't like it.

It's very android, with supposedly faster typing which would be a + if they didn't make it more difficult to type.
    The gradient annimations and icons that I know and like are gone I like the old calendar and the old hub better.

On the + side is ones you started an app it seems better more swift more pleasent. And the overall systems runs faster. Probably lack of annimation plays it's part in this. Btw the browser on 10.3.0 is crap on my Z30 Needless to say I'm back at 10.2.1.2977. I'm hoping we'll somehow be able to run the dark theme for the hub on 10.2.1. And prolong the generel life of the OS version through maintainance
    08-30-14 12:23 PM
    Yes...bring on that Java runtime!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 12:25 PM
    Yes...bring on that Java runtime!

Posted via CB10
    I get what you're saying however that by it self probably won't change a thing.

It might be good if you are a hardcore gamer; but the 4.3 runtime won't be a deal-breaker at all. To the best of my knowledge for 95% of the crackberrians it won't mean a thing other than hurray we upgraded. With the new runtime you still can't use google play or service directly, which is what hinders most of the Android apps that do not run under BB10.

Actually from what I know Jolla is ahead of BB10 when it comes to running Android apps, albeit they make use of the same Dalvik runtime. UPDATED: Installing Google Play On Jolla | Latest Jolla Sailfish News this is due to Jolla being rootable by mere mortals. However it is an area where BB10 stays behind no matter how you look at it.

PS my intension was not to be Mr. know it all. I just don't want people to carry false hopes over an updated Java runtime... But I hear you.
    08-30-14 02:09 PM
    Until now, I like 10.2.2 best.

Z10 LE (red) #00167 OS10.2.2.1531
    08-30-14 02:35 PM
    I'm debating not updating to 10.3 when it's available. I like my icons the way they are. I have a Q10 and I'm happy with it- other than the double typing. Why is BlackBerry changing the look when wwe need more important fixes? Like fix BlackBerry link to work on windows 8!!! Sheesh! And I don't like being forced have a dark hub/their color scheme. I like to chose for myself. I'll be ignoring that update.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 03:25 PM
    I'm debating not updating to 10.3 when it's available. I like my icons the way they are. I have a Q10 and I'm happy with it- other than the double typing. Why is BlackBerry changing the look when wwe need more important fixes? Like fix BlackBerry link to work on windows 8!!! Sheesh! And I don't like being forced have a dark hub/their color scheme. I like to chose for myself. I'll be ignoring that update.

Posted via CB10
    You won't have to decide till 10.3.1 and even then there's no telling if the black hub will be optional or not. You will however probably have to live with the changed styling in colouring schemes and typing. As mentioned one thing I've noticed is that I. Type faster but flick less on 10.3.0... it is the android way of doing things and I prefer the classic bb10 way of doing things. for a combo of touch and physical keyboard speed typing with an error rate to follow makes sense. Especially since a computer dictionary often won't be able to guess words for the medical world, or any vocabulary specific to the working professional of any given field.

The 10.3 might have been different if RIM has a more all touch oriented focus.
    08-31-14 04:36 AM
    My screen certainly don't look boring /:
    What if I like the old branches of the OS 10.2.1 10.2.2?-img_20140901_153314.png

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-01-14 03:33 PM
    I have a running bet with a friend of mine where I told him that we will soon see the day when BlackBerry will solely be the "hardware" running Android "software".

Are they slowly programming our brains to accept that?

I like the loom of 10.3 personally but never disliked 10.2 so I really don't mind. For me more about functionality than aesthetics.

Cheers

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    09-01-14 03:42 PM
    Well neither do mine.
    What if I like the old branches of the OS 10.2.1 10.2.2?-img_20140903_182129.pngWhat if I like the old branches of the OS 10.2.1 10.2.2?-img_20140903_182211.png

But it's the removal of everything that was the origianl BB10. The big ugle blue button seems like a rip off from Apple, and that's a blackberry not an Apple con. It helps a bit to remove the apps I never use into the trash but I still prefer the 5 row shadow to six row no shadow, just as I prefer the original annimations

I took the latest 10.2.1 out for a spin from Verizon but for some reason it demands Wifi - So I loaded up the 10.3.0.1130 up again for some reason it works best of the box better than the newest (avaliable) beta. Also for some reason with the keyboard you have to flick the word hard like pressing a nail upwards where as previously you just had to soft push the words upwards, easyer and more logical
    09-03-14 11:41 AM
    If the importance of the gradation or aesthetics of your icons is even in your top ten, you are probably on the wrong platform.

The productivity enhancements with 10.3 blow away 10.2.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    09-03-14 12:12 PM
    If the importance of the gradation or aesthetics of your icons is even in your top ten, you are probably on the wrong platform.

The productivity enhancements with 10.3 blow away 10.2.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Then what might the right be?
    Secondly why did BlackBerry choose to make it the right platform for me to start with?

Aesthetics productivity simplicity?

It would make much more sense to have this android like 10.3 focus from the start then.

BlackBerry tried to be consumer and I loved what they offered even if the rest of the world didn't.

By your logic the true BlackBerry user should have ignored 10.0 to 10.2.2. To me aesthetics productivity and simplicity goes hand in hand.

Neither IOS android or Windows phone can offer that.
    09-03-14 01:18 PM
    I'm also with you OP, for me 10.2 aesthetics is main reason why I bought Z10 , but 10.3. brings some enchantments that will never be part of old branches. I've installed 10.2.2. but same as 10.2.1, there is no EQ and no call per contact blocking API which is nice to have. At the end, 10.3 looks much better on actual device so you'll get used to it in time.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    09-03-14 01:25 PM
    Then what might the right be?
    Secondly why did BlackBerry choose to make it the right platform for me to start with?

Aesthetics productivity simplicity?

It would make much more sense to have this android like 10.3 focus from the start then.

BlackBerry tried to be consumer and I loved what they offered even if the rest of the world didn't.

By your logic the true BlackBerry user should have ignored 10.0 to 10.2.2. To me aesthetics productivity and simplicity goes hand in hand.

Neither IOS android or Windows phone can offer that.
    Nothing has changed with the structure of the UI at all! Only the paint colour, so to speak, has changed. Same peak and flow, same gestures, same hub, etc, etc. It is no more android in function than it has ever been.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    09-03-14 01:32 PM
    Nothing has changed with the structure of the UI at all! Only the paint colour, so to speak, has changed. Same peak and flow, same gestures, same hub, etc, etc. It is no more android in function than it has ever been.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Just wandering, have you even tried 10.3
    09-03-14 03:10 PM
    Yes and he's mostly right

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-03-14 03:27 PM
    It has been my daily driver on my Z30 since early May. I just moved my Z10s to 10.3 this past week as well. They are all currently using 10.3.0.1130 with bars from 1154.

Although I happen to like the new "flat" look, I can understand how not everyone would necessarily agree with the new aesthetic. But to then go on to say that the new icon design now makes bb10 seem like an android phone is positively ridiculous.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    09-03-14 04:17 PM
    You get used to it. If BlackBerry didn't go the flat look, I'm sure there's be far more people saying it's dated.

Posted via CB10
    chalx likes this.
    09-03-14 04:26 PM
    It has been my daily driver on my Z30 since early May. I just moved my Z10s to 10.3 this past week as well. They are all currently using 10.3.0.1130 with bars from 1154.

Although I happen to like the new "flat" look, I can understand how not everyone would necessarily agree with the new aesthetic. But to then go on to say that the new icon design now makes bb10 seem like an android phone is positively ridiculous.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Don't know dark background with long rows of flat icons and many things you don't use.. I know what each person use is very different but I perfer my os to be as simple as possible so I can download only the apps I need. To an extend BB would be ideal for such an approch as You always have a record of the programs you've previously installed.

That being said the main point of my repost was the changes in the hub with the big blue button the changes in callendar etc... To say it's the same as 10.2/ seems ridiculous to me... But to each his own.
    09-03-14 04:33 PM
32 12